• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 13 |OT| This is not the Greatest NFL Thread it's Only a Tribute

Here's the worst one:

banner%20for%20Panthers%20secondary

This joke flopped like the Falcons in the playoffs

:(

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm glad I somehow avoided growing up a Badgers fan

....the whole Arkansas thing is more obligation. Like eating Thanksgiving dinner and humoring your weird ass uncle while he tells awful stories.

A rare great thing from Bill Simmons https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-malcolm-gladwell-future-of-the-nfl-b6e14a14124#.xxzyw8aav

Whole conversation about the league's problems is absolutely worth a read. Just posting my personal fav quotes and/or points here

Gladwell said:
I was surprised to hear Cris Collinsworth say, on your podcast, that when he has to announce a Thursday game followed by a Sunday game, he can no longer keep the names of the players straight. When the smartest football analyst in the game gets overloaded, that ought to be a sign.

Gladwell on DeMaurice Smith said:
How do you convince the majority of players to risk a third of their projected careers in pursuit of a better deal? He’s right! It’s impossible! Do you remember what else he said? (I think this was off-camera, so forgive me, DeMaurice.) The owner that he feels is most open to improving the lot of the players and thinking rationally about the future of the league is … Dan Snyder.

Gladwell on Senior VP for Health and Safety Jeffrey Miller said:
By the way, I think it’s worth pointing out that Miller is a Mr. Miller, not a Dr. Miller. That’s right, the NFL executive responsible for player health and safety is not a physician. He’s a lawyer. More precisely, he’s an antitrust lawyer: Miller began his career as chief counsel for the Antitrust and Business Competition Subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Honestly, you cannot make this stuff up. In response to a rising medical crisis on the football field, Goodell hired someone to make sure the rising medical crisis doesn’t cause Congress to take away the NFL’s antitrust exemption.

Gladwell on Kaep said:
Now, I get that some people disagree with Kaepernick’s stand, or how he chose to behave, or the way he articulated his position. I also get that the nameless executive is probably exaggerating a bit for effect. Fine. But at the end of the day, Kaepernick is an intelligent young man at least trying to address something of consequence: the continuing disgrace of racial inequality in this country. And, incredibly, some portion of the people running football find that appalling. So here’s what I want, with my final suggestion. I want football fans to stand up and say that they’ve had it with the cretins running the league. And I want football fans to pledge that whenever a player tries to make the game or the world outside the game a better place — no matter how awkwardly or inexpertly they go about doing it — they’ll have his back.

Simmons on Kaep said:
I didn’t believe that anonymous Carruth-Kaepernick quote until I started considering the reasons an NFL executive might have said it. Though if Carruth goes down as a first-ballot NFL Scumbag Hall of Famer, he never threatened revenue, ratings, locker rooms or the league hierarchy itself. We’ve spent the past half century becoming conditioned to NFL players behaving poorly. Aaron Hernandez, Leonard Little, Christian Peter, Dave Meggett, Ray Rice, Darren Sharper, Tyreek Hill … you can keep rattling off offenders for days. The most heinous human behavior possible never actually affected the NFL’s bottom line, right?

But Kaepernick’s anthem stance affected the NFL’s business. Kaepernick injected discussions about politics and racism into the 2016 season in the simplest but most profound way possible. He also triggered the wrath of football fans in certain pockets of America who feel so strongly about the American flag, and what they believe it stands for, that they became one of the excuses for declining ratings (whether it’s true or untrue). And worst of all for owners and executives, Kaepernick threatened the team-over-individual mind-set that’s unique to football and has undeniably been modeled after the military since the days of leather helmets and no face masks...The NFL doesn’t want its players behaving in ways that it can’t govern — it can penalize Kaepernick for ripping his helmet off after a touchdown, and it can penalize him for doing the macarena with his tight end, but it can’t penalize him for kneeling during the national anthem.

WedgeX

Banned
No one believed me when I said rooting for OSU would enable Penn State. Oh no, Wisconsin would stop them y'all said.

This is 2016, people. This year doesn't work like that!

I'm sure those kids who got raped in the shower by a predatory old man and the university that enabled him are "healing" by seeing Penn St. win the Big 10. Dumbass.

Gobias

Banned
I don't know how you can cheer for a team that did what Penn state did, especially since those fucks showed no remorse by hiring a scumbag like James Franklin. I don't get mad at football, but Jesus fucking christ

Don't you put this evil on me...

Don't..

Do not do it..

Blame shitty Wisconsin.. those drunken cheese heads can't close it the fuck out..

Penn State should go in over OhSU, for healing purposes
I'm not necessarily opposed to this...

Part of me thinks they just might and probably should... at least we can't watch them get wrecked by Bama

Top Bottom