• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 14 |OT| You Don't Own Me

I really don't understand why so many people simply assume that Harbaugh wants to return to the NFL one day. He obviously loves his current position, and if winning a Super Bowl mattered so much to him, he'd have stayed in the NFL 2 years ago. You guys are grossly underestimating how much being the HC of Michigan means, much less for a alumnus. Michigan has a higher brand recognition than most NFL teams for fucks sake. This is literally the same song and dance that we had 2 years ago, so forgive me if I never take a"Harbaugh to the NFL" rumor serious.

What indication is there that he desires a Super Bowl more than coaching Michigan beyond baseless speculation?

I get what you're saying, but I'll just have to say that you may be a tiny bit biased on this issue.

Syrinx

Problem with the Rams is that they traded away so many of their draft picks to trade up for Goff. So building the team from here on out is gonna be pretty tough.

JABEE

Eagles were not a terrible team at all at the end of last year. They needed to improve the ol, wrs, and secondary. They did improve the ol, but Howie did nothing for wr, and he gave away Rowe and all the dB's signings have been terrible. Doug cost them the giants and cowboys games directly with his terrible decisions, he has also shown that he is incapable of calling plays. Things are trending downwards not upwards and that is a bad sign.

Yes. People like to shit on Chip, but his three season with the Eagles are as follows.

10-6 (Close Wild Card Round Loss to the Saints) with NFL Backup Nick Foles at QB
10-6 (Missed the Playoffs after epic collapse, multiple losses with Mark Sanchez at QB)
6-9 (7-9 if you include the game after he was fired with a semi-healthy Sam Bradford)

The team collapsing halfway through the season/not giving effort does not appear to be a Chip thing. Every season the defense does the same thing no matter who is coaching.

Their corners get torched and the rest of the defense looks like shit.

If Kelly could be fired with a 7-9 record after two other legitimate winning seasons with career NFL backups at QB, then Pederson should be fired for potentially going 5-11 this season after trading for a Franchise QB who has done the best job you could hope for given the situation.

I can't remember Kelly losing specific games with boneheaded coaching decisions or challenges. I remember having discussions about philosophy and usage/wear and tear on players, but never the kind of game management indictments that we have seen with Doug Pederson.

Pederson lost the Dallas and Giants game. He just did. Dallas was done and he decides to punt instead of going for a makable field goal to make it a three score game.

The Eagles should be 7-6 right now with a legitimate chance at the playoffs.

I feel the Eagles aren't going to admit their mistake until they flush away another season with a man who is not fit to manage a football game. People will make apologies for him because the Bradford trade, injuries, etc, but the things he doesn't get right have nothing to do with talent.

I fear for Carson Wentz with Doug as coach right now. Watch the Eagles play and Carson is running for his life right now. Wentz has over 3200 yards passing this season. He is the Eagles offense right now. Wentz is everything right now. In some ways I don't blame Doug, because the RBs are trash or injured, but there has to be another way.

Carson Wentz is like Andrew Luck out there without Bruce Arians. Even when Wentz puts together a perfect drive with amazing scrambles and throws, Jordan Matthews doesn't get his feet in on an absolute dime pass beating double coverage.

I don't know. I gave Pederson a chance, but I feel the Eagles are just treading water until they can get their real Head Coach installed. Hopefully Carson survives to be apart of those better times.

I really don't understand why so many people simply assume that Harbaugh wants to return to the NFL one day. He obviously loves his current position, and if winning a Super Bowl mattered so much to him, he'd have stayed in the NFL 2 years ago. You guys are grossly underestimating how much being the HC of Michigan means, much less for a alumnus. Michigan has a higher brand recognition than most NFL teams for fucks sake. This is literally the same song and dance that we had 2 years ago, so forgive me if I never take a"Harbaugh to the NFL" rumor serious.

What indication is there that he desires a Super Bowl more than coaching Michigan beyond baseless speculation?

You sound like you are trying to convince yourself.

Harbaugh left a loaded Stanford team before Luck's senior season that could have competed for a national title to jump at the NFL (and remember, could have probably had the Michigan job in 2011 and chose the Niners/NFL instead)

I really don't understand why so many people simply assume that Harbaugh wants to return to the NFL one day. He obviously loves his current position, and if winning a Super Bowl mattered so much to him, he'd have stayed in the NFL 2 years ago. You guys are grossly underestimating how much being the HC of Michigan means, much less for an alumnus. Michigan has a higher brand recognition than most NFL teams for fucks sake. This is literally the same song and dance that we had 2 years ago, so forgive me if I never take a"Harbaugh to the NFL" rumor serious.

Indeed, he could be the next Brady Hoke or Rich Rodriguez!

Jarnet87

Problem with the Rams is that they traded away so many of their draft picks to trade up for Goff. So building the team from here on out is gonna be pretty tough.

And Goff is trash, this job has has first time head coach hire all over it. But on the positive side they will get to coach the talent that is Tavon Austin!

Yes. People like to shit on Chip, but his three season with the Eagles are as follows.

10-6 (Close Wild Card Round Loss to the Saints) with NFL Backup Nick Foles at QB
10-6 (Missed the Playoffs after epic collapse, multiple losses with Mark Sanchez at QB)
6-9 (7-9 if you include the game after he was fired with a semi-healthy Sam Bradford)

The team collapsing halfway through the season/not giving effort does not appear to be a Chip thing. Every season the defense does the same thing no matter who is coaching.

If Kelly could be fired with a 7-9 record after two other legitimate winning seasons with career NFL backups at QB, then Pederson should be fired for potentially going 5-11 this season after trading for a Franchise QB who has done the best job you could hope for given the situation.

I can't remember Kelly losing specific games with boneheaded coaching decisions or challenges. I remember having discussions about philosophy and usage/wear and tear on players, but never the kind of game management indictments that we have seen with Doug Pederson.

Pederson lost the Dallas and Giants game. He just did. Dallas was done and he decides to punt instead of going for a makable field goal to make it a three score game.

The Eagles should be 7-6 right now with a legitimate chance at the playoffs.

I feel the Eagles aren't going to admit their mistake until they flush away another season with a man who is not fit to manage a football game. People will make apologies for him because the Bradford trade, injuries, etc, but the things he doesn't get right have nothing to do with talent.

I fear for Carson Wentz with Doug as coach right now. Watch the Eagles play and Carson is running for his life right now. Wentz has over 3200 yards passing this season. He is the Eagles offense right now. Wentz is everything right now. In some ways I don't blame Doug, because the RBs are trash or injured, but there has to be another way.

Carson Wentz is like Andrew Luck out there without Bruce Arians. Even when Wentz puts together a perfect drive with amazing scrambles and throws, Jordan Matthews doesn't get his feet in on an absolute dime pass beating double coverage.

I don't know. I gave Pederson a chance, but I feel the Eagles are just treading water until they can get their real Head Coach installed. Hopefully Carson survives to be apart of those better times.

I wish I could like this post it is so good. Eagles get 4 years of Wentz on the cheap to try and do something, gonna waste 2 of them on this terrible head coach. Sucks so much.

LJ11

I really don't understand why so many people simply assume that Harbaugh wants to return to the NFL one day. He obviously loves his current position, and if winning a Super Bowl mattered so much to him, he'd have stayed in the NFL 2 years ago. You guys are grossly underestimating how much being the HC of Michigan means, much less for an alumnus. Michigan has a higher brand recognition than most NFL teams for fucks sake. This is literally the same song and dance that we had 2 years ago, so forgive me if I never take a"Harbaugh to the NFL" rumor serious.

I think you bring up some interesting points, but at the end of the day Harbaugh strikes most, how can he not, as a guy who wants to compete at the absolute highest level, so that inevitably means the NFL. Not sure when he goes back to the bigs but he will. I assume he wants to stomp the comp at the NCAA level, he's getting there. The guy is a program builder, NFL teams will throw money at him, and I think Jim wants to conquer the bigs. Just my 2 cents which means jack shit, but the reasons why he left are well documented. Now he could have gone to another NFL program, but maybe SF left a bad taste in his mouth. I expect him to go back, not sure when though, will be under his terms too, full control.

Harbaugh left a loaded Stanford team before Luck's senior season that could have competed for a national title to jump at the NFL (and remember, could have probably had the Michigan job in 2011 and chose the Niners/NFL instead)

I'm not sure how loaded Stanford was, they definitely had Luck, but it just goes to show you what kind of program he built. Maybe they didn't have top end NFL talent but they fucking mashed teams up, and were contending for an NC.

cdyhybrid

Harbs would only have to fix the offense, which is his specialty. The defense is contender-level already. And they don't have to be The Greatest Show on Turf. Just take them from dumpster fire to mediocre.

This... this is the most beautiful thing you've ever posted. What kind of build are you going with this time around? Once you finish Dark Souls and realize how incredible the series is make sure you get around to Bloodborne. It's the best game ever, period.

I'm playing Knight. First time I was a Wanderer, but i'm realizing now I ended up playing it like a Knight.

Just a basic Sword and Shield (though I do have the Drake Sword - i'm still deciding what weapon i'm going to upgrade). Right now I have the Broadsword and I think i'm going to upgrade that (I don't like how the Two handed swords feel). As LJ said the upgrade system takes time to figure out. I just recently got how it works.

You see two 10-6 seasons, I see a declining record every year he's been in the league.

Do the Cowboys know the equipment fucked up during the game? Odell had to actually get the plays from Mac and then to Eli. There are so many ways to communicate "Go three and out" to your quarterback.

Bread

Banned
we should ban mcadoo from the league, i don't care about the walkie talkie though.

just get that god forsaken mustache off of my television.

Funny, Fisher still lost 9 games this season.

Also
$_3.JPG
at announcing extension one week and then firing him the next.

Poor Gata... I suspect the Jags will fire Bradley and welcome Fisher back to the AFC South because 7-9 is an improvement for them.

You see two 10-6 seasons, I see a declining record every year he's been in the league.

With back to back seasons in divisions that are among the worst in the league, giving him easier competition.

Chip Kelly didn't play 13 games against opponents with winning records last year.

He also had an offensive line that was healthy his entire 1st year as coach, whereas Pederson is on his 4th string tackle.

jfkgoblue

First off Stanford is no where near the HC job that Michigan is, much less for an alumnus, so that's a false equivalency.

Second, he was never offered the Michigan job in 2011 because Dave Brandon wanted his pushover yes man in Brady Hoke.

Third, he already had an option to choose the NFL over Michigan in 2014. What was the purpose in going to Michigan if his "heart was in the NFL"? His pedigree was already at an all time high, he took less money to come to Michigan, and he had every owner courting him with a HC vacancy. I just don't see the it when the other side is speculation. Maybe I am biased, but the things we know are definitely on my side.

I don't see why I need to convince myself of anything when there is absolutely zero imperical evidence to base any of the NFL rumors on. So as biased as I am, it isn't blind hope, it is looking at the past to decide that I have a good reason to feel the way that I do.

10-6 to 10-6 is declining? He still won 7 last year with a total disaster on the OL which really took away a lot of the run game that his offense is based on. He also had Billy "out of the NFL forever" Davis as his DC. Give Chip this years team and Jim Schwartz as his DC and I guarantee you he wins more then 5 fucking games. The Eagles talent is better this year but their results are worse, hmmm.

squicken

Great post, JABEE. Chip had his flaws but he managed game situations pretty damn well. From what I have seen from Pederson, that is not the case

The only way Pederson will ever be worse than Chip in my eyes is if he starts jettisoning league leading players for nothing in return.

Great post, JABEE. Chip had his flaws but he managed game situations pretty damn well. From what I have seen from Pederson, that is not the case

I cannot beleive even you are falling for this Squicken. Maybe Chip knew when to kick fieldgoals, but his playcalling was so predictable and one dimensional that opposing defenses were calling the plays from the sidelines. His inability to slow the pace of the game down cost them on more than one occasion when running the clock out was the best way to win games. You guys have rose colored glasses on if you think Chip didn't make mistakes that cost the Eagles games on a regular basis.

this_guy

Can Cleveland fire their coach to bring in Fisher as interim coach so he can still get his record? Oh and the Texans should sign Andre Johnson so he can retire as a Texan.

Pro Bowl Skills Showdown Announced

Competitions include:

-- Epic Pro Bowl Dodgeball: Pro Bowlers will compete in a game of dodgeball.

-- Power Relay Challenge: Four team members will compete in a timed relay race.

-- Precision Passing: Two players on each team will battle it out, trying to hit moving targets of varying size and distance.

-- Best Hands: Quarterback and wide receiver duos from each team will show off their skills, connecting on as many pass attempts as possible before time runs out.

FUCKEN FINALLY!!!!!

squicken

The only way Pederson will ever be worse than Chip in my eyes is if he starts jettisoning league leading players for nothing in return.

I cannot beleive even you are falling for this Squicken. Maybe Chip knew when to kick fieldgoals, but his playcalling was so predictable and one dimensional that opposing defenses were calling the plays from the sidelines. His inability to slow the pace of the game down cost them on more than one occasion when running the clock out was the best way to win games. You guys have rose colored glasses on if you think Chip didn't make mistakes that cost the Eagles games on a regular basis.

Oh I agree about chip the GM being terrible, and I also think he needs to adjust his offensive system because it exposes his defense. But JABEE mentioned that in his post. But I never felt Chip was losing games with his game management Or that he was overwhelmed by the job. I just thought his system was not working anymore and he had saddled himself with a flawed roster. Last year I thought the defense quit a couple times but then this year the defense had thrown up some real stinkers too

Fantomex

Welcome back friend!! Did you see that our Dolphins are in fact doing it!!! You shouldn't have left us ;_;

Hi friend. I was the curse friend. I hope you guys get the owl soon. I'll be over here looking through coaching resumes. This Harbaugh guy seems good. I'm putting him at the top of the list.

Oh I agree about chip the GM being terrible, and I also think he needs to adjust his offensive system because it exposes his defense. But JABEE mentioned that in his post. But I never felt Chip was losing games with his game management Or that he was overwhelmed by the job. I just thought his system was not working anymore and he had saddled himself with a flawed roster. Last year I thought the defense quit a couple times but then this year the defense had thrown up some real stinkers too

Not being able to run out a clock is a game mismanagement issue. Not being able to slow down your offensive pace to give the defense a breather is a game management issue. We saw it constantly. Pederson went for it on 4th downs that his team had been making constantly up until that point, which cost him the first game. The second game kicking the FGs wouldn't have won regardless because when he did kick them it got blocked. Yes, you can ultimately pin it on him and say it was a mistake, but you can also pin it on WRs for dropping passes, refs for blowing calls, and any number of other issues. Yeah, it wasn't great, he was proven wrong for going for it, but making it black and white and "he made the wrong choice so it's 100% on him" seems very silly to me. I'm fully willing to admit he made mistakes in two games, but acting like it's been some sort of pattern across all of the games they've played, when it hasn't, seems ridiculous. His game plan yesterday was great, and he made all the right decisions, but since it's not a win most fans won't even factor that in to the equation.

Top Bottom