• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 14 |OT| You Don't Own Me

Hindl

Yes. People like to shit on Chip, but his three season with the Eagles are as follows.

10-6 (Close Wild Card Round Loss to the Saints) with NFL Backup Nick Foles at QB
10-6 (Missed the Playoffs after epic collapse, multiple losses with Mark Sanchez at QB)
6-9 (7-9 if you include the game after he was fired with a semi-healthy Sam Bradford)

The team collapsing halfway through the season/not giving effort does not appear to be a Chip thing. Every season the defense does the same thing no matter who is coaching.

Their corners get torched and the rest of the defense looks like shit.

If Kelly could be fired with a 7-9 record after two other legitimate winning seasons with career NFL backups at QB, then Pederson should be fired for potentially going 5-11 this season after trading for a Franchise QB who has done the best job you could hope for given the situation.

I can't remember Kelly losing specific games with boneheaded coaching decisions or challenges. I remember having discussions about philosophy and usage/wear and tear on players, but never the kind of game management indictments that we have seen with Doug Pederson.

Pederson lost the Dallas and Giants game. He just did. Dallas was done and he decides to punt instead of going for a makable field goal to make it a three score game.

The Eagles should be 7-6 right now with a legitimate chance at the playoffs.

I feel the Eagles aren't going to admit their mistake until they flush away another season with a man who is not fit to manage a football game. People will make apologies for him because the Bradford trade, injuries, etc, but the things he doesn't get right have nothing to do with talent.

I fear for Carson Wentz with Doug as coach right now. Watch the Eagles play and Carson is running for his life right now. Wentz has over 3200 yards passing this season. He is the Eagles offense right now. Wentz is everything right now. In some ways I don't blame Doug, because the RBs are trash or injured, but there has to be another way.

Carson Wentz is like Andrew Luck out there without Bruce Arians. Even when Wentz puts together a perfect drive with amazing scrambles and throws, Jordan Matthews doesn't get his feet in on an absolute dime pass beating double coverage.

I don't know. I gave Pederson a chance, but I feel the Eagles are just treading water until they can get their real Head Coach installed. Hopefully Carson survives to be apart of those better times.

Let's say we fire Doug after this year. Who would honestly come to coach here? Honestly? That sends the message that you get one year to turn things around and if not you're out of here. If you fire Doug now then you better get ready for Fischer. No one would come here. And people are forgetting that the team chip took over was stacked with talent. They had the #1 OL in the league that stayed completely healthy, the top rushing attack with shady, and DJax and Maclin. His system helped a lot but the players were a huge part of it. We saw that once he started jettisoning talent and the offense sputtered. I'm not saying Doug is great, but comparatively he's down to his 4th string RT, 3rd string RG, 3rd string LG, 1 RB out of 4 healthy, the worst WR corps in the league, and now an injured longsnapper, plus a rookie QB. You say the eagles should be 7-6 right now. If you said that in the off-season you would've been laughed out of the thread. Doug has fucked up sometimes yes. But this roster has been decimated with injuries in a year where they shouldn't even have been competing. If next year there's no improvement then fine get rid of Doug. But to be so reactionary is just pure foolishness.

10-6 to 10-6 is declining? He still won 7 last year with a total disaster on the OL which really took away a lot of the run game that his offense is based on. He also had Billy "out of the NFL forever" Davis as his DC. Give Chip this years team and Jim Schwartz as his DC and I guarantee you he wins more then 5 fucking games. The Eagles talent is better this year but their results are worse, hmmm.

And the OL this year isn't a disaster? This roster has far more injuries than last year. It's ridiculous to say that the talent is better this year anywhere but QB and OL when it was 100% healthy, which it hasn't been since week 4. You honestly sound like the negative-Kas, just going off of stats without context and not even paying attention to what's actually happening

Tom Nook

Who gives a fuck about fucking loser L-takers Harbaugh and Chip, WE GOT DODGEBALL NOW https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/808424735604441089

200.gif

America's Rating Team.

Last night's SNF broadcast of Cowboys-Giants averaged 26.5 million viewers, the best viewership for a Week 14 game since 1989 (49ers-Rams)

that would be a real shame if the browns messed up and won :/

'tis the browns way.

1. "Fuck up" no one wants to go 0-16
2. lol le'veon bell is gonna shit on us wk 16

I wouldn't say "no one"

And I've been there, when we beat Balt in overtime to ensure the single win back in 2007 I was so happy we stayed off the record books so believe me friend I hope you manage to get at least one as well. (We had to wait till week 13-14 too I believe)

Let's say we fire Doug after this year. Who would honestly come to coach here? Honestly?
Somehow the Browns continue to find some moron to take their head coaching position every time they feel the need to make a change. I'm sure the Eagles would find a way to work it out.

I'm not advocating for Pederson to be fired. I'm just saying you're underestimating the draw of the Eagles position. Young, still able to be molded QB. Good talent across the defensive line, etc.

If you fire Doug now then you better get ready for Fischer. No one would come here. And people are forgetting that the team chip took over was stacked with talent.
I remember getting argued with when I made the same point, that Chip was still coaching Andy's team well into his tenure and the only effect he had on the team as a GM was to make the roster worse.

I really don't understand why so many people simply assume that Harbaugh wants to return to the NFL one day. He obviously loves his current position, and if winning a Super Bowl mattered so much to him, he'd have stayed in the NFL 2 years ago. You guys are grossly underestimating how much being the HC of Michigan means, much less for an alumnus. Michigan has a higher brand recognition than most NFL teams for fucks sake. This is literally the same song and dance that we had 2 years ago, so forgive me if I never take a"Harbaugh to the NFL" rumor serious.

What indication is there that he desires a Super Bowl more than coaching Michigan beyond baseless speculation?
Harbaugh isn't leaving Mich for the Rams.

I do think he will go back to the NFL when the right opportunity presents itself though.

Somehow the Browns continue to find some moron to take their head coaching position every time they feel the need to make a change. I'm sure the Eagles would find a way to work it out.

I'm not advocating for Pederson to be fired. I'm just saying you're underestimating the draw of the Eagles position. Young, still able to be molded QB. Good talent across the defensive line, etc.

I remember getting argued with when I made the same point, that Chip was still coaching Andy's team well into his tenure and the only make he made on it as a GM was to make the roster worse.

I mean...I'd take a million to coach the browns for one year....

JABEE

Let's say we fire Doug after this year. Who would honestly come to coach here? Honestly? That sends the message that you get one year to turn things around and if not you're out of here. If you fire Doug now then you better get ready for Fischer. No one would come here. And people are forgetting that the team chip took over was stacked with talent. They had the #1 OL in the league that stayed completely healthy, the top rushing attack with shady, and DJax and Maclin. His system helped a lot but the players were a huge part of it. We saw that once he started jettisoning talent and the offense sputtered. I'm not saying Doug is great, but comparatively he's down to his 4th string RT, 3rd string RG, 3rd string LG, 1 RB out of 4 healthy, the worst WR corps in the league, and now an injured longsnapper, plus a rookie QB. You say the eagles should be 7-6 right now. If you said that in the off-season you would've been laughed out of the thread. Doug has fucked up sometimes yes. But this roster has been decimated with injuries in a year where they shouldn't even have been competing. If next year there's no improvement then fine get rid of Doug. But to be so reactionary is just pure foolishness.

And the OL this year isn't a disaster? This roster has far more injuries than last year. It's ridiculous to say that the talent is better this year anywhere but QB and OL when it was 100% healthy, which it hasn't been since week 4. You honestly sound like the negative-Kas, just going off of stats without context and not even paying attention to what's actually happening
You make good points Hindl, but I can't help but feel like Doug Pederson has flaws that he won't be able to overcome. I understand he will be back next season, but I feel the Eagles are going to be a mediocre team as long as he is coach. No one is hiring Jeff Fischer.

The very least you expect from a coach is for him not to cost you games you should win. Expecting a coach to win you games is what separates consistently good teams from bad teams.

I think Chip Kelly did not lose you games, and there were some games that he definitely won for the team in 2013. I think he didn't adjust and was taken down by some of his decisions as GM, but as a game manager, he knew what he was doing. He had a legitimate system/ideas in place to avoid this from happening.

I am not endorsing Chip and what he has done since 2013, but I feel like Pederson is being graded on a different curve. You can say, but he is just trying to fix Kelly's mistakes as a GM, but I don't buy that entirely. The talent on this team put them in a position to win games that were squandered by poor game management.

The surprise of this season was Carson Wentz being able to make something out of this all. A lot of the big plays that changed games were not Doug Pederson's call, but Carson changing the play at the line or scrambling on broken plays. I am not inspired by Pederson at all.

I gave Pederson a chance. I don't feel these last 10 games are acceptable. I also have a problem with his lack of accountability or learning from his mistakes. He seems to take the wrong lesson from his failures every step of the way so far.

We'll see. I have to live with at least another season of this. This is my expectation. I hope he turns it around next season after an offseason of watching film and hopefully more options on offense to exploit.

Hindl

I remember getting argued with when I made the same point, that Chip was still coaching Andy's team well into his tenure and the only effect he had on the team as a GM was to make the roster worse.

Your first point is kinda my point tho. The eagles definitely have a better situation, but yeah the browns have been able to get new coaches year after year. The problem is they aren't good coaches. They're only attracting the dredges and not legitimate talent (jury's still out on Hue.) I'm sure the eagles could easily hire another coach if they fire Doug. I just highly doubt it would be a good coach.

As for your second point, I agree, although at the time I may have argued with you. The Chip years were like a fever dream as an eagles fan, that first Washington game was so amazing, and you always believed he'd get back to that until he was fired. But I'm willing to give Howie and Doug another year. Last off-season they went in with a plan to fix the OL, LB, and safety. The OL has been destroyed, but when healthy was top tier this year, and Brooks has been great. Likewise, McLeod and Bradham have been great too. This off-season, they need to fix the offensive weapons and the CBs. I think they can do it but we'll see. Depth will still be shit but if the eagles draft well and stay healthy they could do well in 2017.

And JABEE I get that Doug has definitely made some bad mistakes, and I'm not sure he'll ever be a great coach. I think he could be a good coach tho. I see your point, but I think regardless of Doug, Howie Will make it a priority this off-season to get wentz some weapons. Considering he was able to get the FA acquisitions that he did in 2016 I think he can do it again. And also we've already gotten more out of the 2016 draft class than any of the single drafts under chip. Even ignoring wentz, big V, seumalo, Smallwood and mills all look to be at least Depth players. And considering the eagles now have the ravens old talent scout I think they'll continue to have success in the draft. So Even if Doug flames out next year, if we can get a competent successor they'll be set up well

Doomsayer

Whoa, Russ has a 13/10 TD:INT ratio this season? I had no idea he was struggling so much. Granted I know half of those picks came yesterday, it's a pretty rough follow up to a stellar season.

Lol Rip Floy when he gets his new avatar
Oh Fanatic...

The amount of shame and suggestions that you all put through like y'all did to Grova can't even come close to the elation I will feel if it does happen....

It will be so worth it...

God will find humor in this.. he will allow this I bet (he's allowed a lot worse)

Almost forgot to post this with all the Tannehill News....

Today marks the anniversary of when we all should have known the Pats were a bunch of cheats:

This game marks the moment when they realized they could win by cheating...and it all snowballed from there.....

Your first point is kinda my point tho. The eagles definitely have a better situation, but yeah the browns have been able to get new coaches year after year. The problem is they aren't good coaches. They're only attracting the dredges and not legitimate talent (jury's still out on Hue.) I'm sure the eagles could easily hire another coach if they fire Doug. I just highly doubt it would be a good coach.
See, I don't think that's the case.

Rob Chudzinski was highly regarded coming out of his stint with the Panthers as an offensive mind helping Cam run one of the top 10 offenses in the NFL after the Panthers fielded one of the worst offenses the year before.

Pat Shurmur had just come off of a stint with the Rams that saw Sam Bradford break all kinds of rookie records. He won the NFL Rookie of the Year award the season before under Shurmur before he was hired by the Browns.

Hue Jackson was absolutely a worthwhile candidate. He had a failed tenure as the Raiders head coach and made some dubious decisions in getting Palmer but his time with the Bengals saw them field a successful offense with Dalton at the helm. He was absolutely worthy of head coach consideration.

The problem is the Browns as an organization chews these guys up and spits them out after a season. All with no regard to progress or the constant front office changes and dysfunction present in that organization.

I'll say again, if the Eagles wanted to dump Pederson, they'd be fine. The biggest issue isn't whether you dump your head coach and the optics behind that. Its whether Howie Roseman is still in charge of front office and who does or does not want to work with him.

Top Bottom