• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 15 |OT| We didn't do it

bionic77

What is considered exciting?

The TD pass to Brian Lafell against the Ravens 2 years ago in the playoffs? The TD pass to Kenbrell Thompkins against the saints? TD to Jules in the Super Bowl! Urlacher Juke? Flea flicker in 07 against the Steelers?
If you have to ask what is exciting you are probably a Pats fan.

Here is an example of one of the most exciting and greatest plays by any qb I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwiBW6j80kI

Syrinx

In the 2007 season, Brady threw for 4,800 yards and 50 touchdowns. In 2008, the season where Brady tore his ACL in the first game, Cassel only threw for 3,693 yards and 21 touchdowns. The Patriots also lost 7 more games in that 2008 season. And they still had guys like Moss.

It does help that Belichick is an amazing coach that plays to the strengths of his QBs. The offense he built for Brissett and Garoppolo are different than what he did for Brady. Opponents thus don't really know what to expect from those offences, which helps the Patriots. Yes, the Patriots are a good team without Brady because of Belichick and the rest of the offense. But they can only be a GREAT and SB winning team WITH Brady.

Brady might as well be the Hillary Clinton of the NFL at this point, y'all just trying to knock him down with no real evidence to back it up.

How did the Pats lost 7 more games in 2008 when they only lost 5?

@schadjoe 9m9 minutes ago
Dolphins are hoping Kiko Alonso and Xavien Howard return this week

Finally some good news

And no way Wake doesn't win comeback player of the year
Czpnys9XgAAVlb8.jpg

BigAT

Aaahhhhhhh I was counting in the post-season record too and jumbled the math, blegh

the point still stands though

I was being generous to you and only including the regular season. You're even more incorrect if you include the postseason too.

If you have to ask what is exciting you are probably a Pats fan.

Here is an example of one of the most exciting and greatest plays by any qb I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwiBW6j80kI

I'm just asking what you're standards are, I would rank all those as exciting plays. I guess a random lucky deep throw is exciting if you're a shit team?

https://youtu.be/iBJqYb25PyQ <- Thompkins TD
https://youtu.be/taUAxRrGpCc <- LaFell TD
https://youtu.be/Ic19dXhpR-E <- Flea Flicker against Steelers
https://youtu.be/f_b8hQ6sIm0 <- 99 yard pass to Welker

I could find more if you want to have more material to jerk off too behind you IKEA desk.

Marcus Hayes: If accountability matters then Roseman must go

If accountability counts for anything, then Howie Roseman’s got to go.

Accountability: It's the new watchword for the Philadelphia Eagles. It is the “Gold Standard,” if you will, for the 2016 season.

Jeffrey Lurie ruthlessly and abruptly ended the Chip Kelly Experience a little less than a year ago. He said he fired Kelly because he was holding Kelly accountable after Kelly's front-office coup 11 months earlier - a coup that denuded the franchise of talent, wasted money and, more significantly, wasted time.

Lurie turned 65 in September. He celebrated his last 22 birthdays as the owner of the Eagles, but he has been to just one Super Bowl. It's enough to make a billionaire ruthless and abrupt.

Lurie should end the Howie Roseman Experience just as ruthlessly and just as abruptly as he ended Kelly's run. It would only be fair.

In January of 2015, Lurie demoted Roseman from the general manager post, gave him a bean-counter title and anointed Kelly king. Lurie then, incredibly, gave Kelly less than a calendar year to refashion the franchise. Kelly ruined it. He made awful deals, ignored advice from his peers and his players, and was fired.

Roseman re-ascended, although on a very short leash, Lurie promised:

“He’ll be accountable for how well the player personnel department does in the future. He’ll be responsible for the quality of that department.”

“My number one priority going into this off-season is accountability.”

“Accountability will be the No. 1 feature, and that goes for everybody. It goes for Howie, it goes for the player personnel head, and it goes for the head coach. .. My No. 1 priority going into this offseason is accountability. (He) will be completely accountable (to me).”

Roseman helped find that coach. The Eagles hired Doug Pederson, who has struggled, but the hiring of a head coach falls at the feet of the owner. When Lurie asks for Ron Jaworski’s blessing on his coaching hire, you can’t blame Howie for that.

Besides, Howie botched plenty of other decisions.

He needed to find a No. 1 wide receiver, rebuild the defensive backfield, rearrange the running backs, decide a strategy for the future of the quarterback position and determine which young players deserved contract extensions.

He was the wrong man for the job.

Yes, Roseman extended Sam Bradford’s contract, but then he traded an enormous amount of assets to draft Carson Wentz with the No. 2 overall pick, which, in turn, enraged Bradford. Luckily, Roseman was able to recoup some of those lost picks by trading Bradford to the Vikings, who were desperate.

Really, though, quarterback was never the big issue. Bradford was always going to stay. Roseman had plenty other problems to fix. And …

There is still no No. 1 receiver or No. 1 running back. The defensive backfield remains putrid. Roseman failed to add sufficient depth to the offensive line, even as top lineman Lane Johnson faced a 10-game suspension. Roseman extended specialty defensive end Vinny Curry to a 5-year, $47.25 million extension; Curry promptly went AWOL, with 1½ sacks. Roseman retained $6.75 million outside linebacker Connor Barwin and played him at defensive end; Barwin has been demoted.

Roseman extended tight end Zach Ertz to a 5-year, $42.5 million extension; Ertz is now a pariah because he refused to block a Bengal. Second-year receiver Nelson Agholor, who admitted that he couldn’t handle the strain of being a starting NFL receiver who will make more than $9 million by the age of 25, essentially benched himself for that game. Johnson got a 5-year, $56 million extension, then tested positive for PEDs for the second time in three seasons.

Lurie gave Roseman a mandate to build a team that could win, immediately. Roseman failed, spectacularly.

Nothing excuses the failure. Jim Schwartz is a top-end defensive coordinator who is two defensive backs and a defensive end short of a real defense. Wentz is a rookie, true, but, when protected and given even modest weapons Wentz has played well. Roseman moved heaven and earth to get that No. 2 overall pick, but he did so with the understanding that Wentz would, for at least one season, learn at the feet of $36 million veteran Sam Bradford. Roseman then traded Bradford to recoup picks spent on acquiring Wentz, which might have mitigated expectations; but the team went 3-0.

Expectations soared, fireworks exploded and Roseman basked in their glow.

Now, eight losses later, Roseman should face his own balefire. That is, if accountability counts for anything.

Free-agent defensive backs Leodis McKelvin and Rodney McLeod couldn’t cover bread if they were butter. Roseman signed two veteran receivers who didn’t make it out of training camp. That influenced the trade of backup lineman Dennis Kelly to Tennessee for second-year bust Dorial Green-Beckham, who averaged two catches in his first nine games as an Eagle.

Roseman extended the contract of defensive tackle Fletcher Cox, who entered Sunday’s meaningless game with four sacks and three boneheaded, game-changing penalties.

This sort of institutional problem goes all the way to the owner, but you can’t fire the owner. Since team president Joe Banner was ousted in June of 2012 and Roseman, his protégé, took Banner’s place at the head table, the team is 36-41 with one playoff appearance; a loss, at home.

Since 2013, Roseman drafted Johnson, a superb right tackle apparently addicted to enhancement. Roseman also drafted Ertz, whose soft play came to a head in Cincinnati. He drafted defensive end Marcus Smith, this generation’s Jon Harris.

Not every decision has been tainted. Roseman drafted stalwart defensive tackle Bennie Logan in the third round in 2013. He got talented running back Wendell Smallwood and intriguing right tackle Halapoulivaati Vaitai in the fifth round this year. And, of course, he got Wentz.

Will that be enough to save him?

It shouldn’t be. Not given the vicious precedent Lurie set with Kelly.

Then again, Lurie should have fired Roseman when Kelly became the GM. It would have been the decent thing to do. A replacement wouldn’t have been hard to find; these days, Stanford and MIT spit out number-crunching salary-cap jockeys like they’re Pez candy.

Instead, Lurie moved his favorite little lawyer from the football wing back to the financial wing for a few months of well-recompensed exile, unwilling to end his sociological experiment. Professor Jeff has a PhD in social policy; it's as though Lurie sees Roseman as his personal digitus impudicus aimed at an NFL establishment that never fully accepted the silver-spoon Boston liberal.

If Roseman is dismissed, it won't be for lack of effort. He broke into the NFL as Banner's 24-year-old salary-cap apprentice. He somehow clawed his way into a player evaluation role just three years later. He got the GM title in 2010, but with Andy Reid coaching and with Banner in charge, no one believed Roseman had much of a voice. His voice rose in 2012, when Banner left and Reid was neutered; and, again, when Kelly was axed last winter.

That’s when Lurie promised to hold Howie accountable. Now, it's time.

I am so happy to see the local media really starting to beat the drum for this.

Rossman had probably the best offseason of any team in the NFL. He should be asking for a raise.

Except he had another poor offseason. The CBs he brought in suck, the team is worse this year then it was last year, he did nothing to replace Lane or prepare for his suspension, nothing to upgrade the WR position. The clock is ticking for howie and his reign or terror will end soon.

squicken

Rossman had probably the best offseason of any team in the NFL. He should be asking for a raise.

He got a lot of praise on the Lane and Ertz deals, but those haven't really been all that great. Ertz hasn't taken any sort of leap and Lane is suspended. Cox deal was market value. I think Wentz will be solid, but he it would have been better for him to sit out this year

e: "favorite little lawyer" well that is a bit of an unnecessary shot

e2: "silver-spoon Boston liberal" what is going on in that taek? I think Howie has done a bad job but what is with that writer?

Pepiope

Except he had another poor offseason. The CBs he brought in suck, the team is worse this year then it was last year, he did nothing to replace Lane or prepare for his suspension, nothing to upgrade the WR position. The clock is ticking for howie and his reign or terror will end soon.
He drafted 2 linemen that look to be pretty good players, and he brought in Brooks who is good as well. We have a succession plan in place once we move on from Kelce and Peters.

He can't fix all of Chip's mistakes in one offseason.

You cannot tell me you aren't impressed thus far with our draft class. Especially considering the fact that the scouting department was basically nonexistent during the draft.

Pepiope

He got a lot of praise on the Lane and Ertz deals, but those haven't really been all that great. Ertz hasn't taken any sort of leap and Lane is suspended. Cox deal was market value. I think Wentz will be solid, but he it would have been better for him to sit out this year

e: "favorite little lawyer" well that is a bit of an unnecessary shot

e2: "silver-spoon Boston liberal" what is going on in that taek? I think Howie has done a bad job but what is with that writer?
The Ertz deal is the only one that hasn't worked out great. We saved a few million with lane, and he's still a great player. I don't care about his suspension this season. We weren't contending anyway.

The dude drafted two offensive linemen that are going to be long time starters for the team. He also didn't know during FA or the draft that Johnson was going to get suspended as the news of that came during training camp, so it was literally impossible for him to do more there, and yet somehow he actually DID fix that problem if you know something about football unlike Marcus Hayes.

He brought in the two CBs that Schwarz asked for because they played under him with the Bills. If you want to blame someone for their production that's who you can point the finger to, because it's pretty obvious that McKelvin and Ron Brooks are there because he asked for them to be there, just like Bradham.

Then there's the double speak Hayes did in the article itself. For example, he complains that Roseman didn't do anything to address the problematic running back position, then a few scant paragraphs later he pays compliments to Rosemans draft choice of Wendell Smallwood--the running back. He complains that he did nothing to address offensive line, then compliments offensive line draft pick Vaitai (completely ignoring the fact that Seumalo was the best player on the offensive line last week, despite it being his second game ever, and he only found out he was starting the morning of the game). Then there's the dumb shit. Yes, Barwin played OLB in the old scheme, but he was drafted as DE, so acting like using him as a DE is a bad thing is stupid. He bashes Zach Ertz and his contract while ignoring the fact that he's the only person on the team other than Jordan Matthews who is actually making offensive plays. He bashes the DGB trade, when DGB has the second highest production of all of the WRs on the team, and they got him for a backup tackle that wouldn't have made the final roster.

There are plenty of legit complaints about Roseman that you've brought up, but this article barely addresses them. Marcus Smith is a bigger issue. Some of the contract sizes are a bigger issue.

To me, Roseman is coming off the best offseason in his career. He had a fantastic draft, and as many of his free agency picks are working out than not. He couldn't fix every single position group in one off season. He fixed 2-3. They desperately needed another safety and McLeod is solid. We desperately needed OL help and got it (injuries aside). They got a decent, probably long term backup RB. Most importantly they got a QB.

The Ertz deal is the only one that hasn't worked out great. We saved a few million with lane, and he's still a great player. I don't care about his suspension this season. We weren't contending anyway.

Ertz has the 7th ranked receiving yards for all TEs in the league. He got paid like a top 10 TE, and lo and behold has the production of a top 10 TE. After missing games with an injury.

squicken

Luck didn't practice today. I wonder if they have engaged the tank machine
it's the same thing they've been doing all year

Pretty sure snesfreak is like 78 for what its worth

Pls stawhp

What do mean stop?

I've been here since Deangelo Williams literally ran Chucky out of town.

I saw Raheem Morris stumble in the Youngry Era, I sat through Freeman eating everything in sight, I was there when Schiano was doing his shitty Belichick impersonation, I have a Glennon jersey in my closet.

I saw my Bucs consistently fail to meet whatever sense of expectations they had year after year, often embarrassing themselves (and us, the fans) in the process.

But its a new day. Jaboo can not possibly fail us in hilarious fashion now. :)

OldMan

Banned
Are you here suggesting that Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless have failed to live up to the high standard of journalistic integrity the two of them are known for?
I mean, the two basically took an entire audience with them departing from ESPN...

Y'all are old as fuck, goddamn. I still have 2 years of my 20s left.

That makes you old as fuck as well, bro

I too have an age

Is it a good age?

I'm quasi-old but dating someone 5 years younger so I can still go

But can you go as much as she can go?

Good for Johnny Football breaking in the TV business.

I'm still in my 30s but the light is dim

You're a young Buck at heart though, friend!

Marcus Hayes is a hack, I wouldn't be caught in public agreeing with anything he writes

I will agree with anyone if what they say is true. Mark Eckel has been killing howie as well the last few weeks on his podcast. I am just super happy to see the media start to turn on him. Hopefully they can get into Luries head and get him to rid us of this curse sooner rather then later. No one in the history of football has been given longer to build a playoff winner and failed every single year. This guy has been in the front office since Reid was here. 3 different head coaches, zero playoff wins and he just skates by.

Top Bottom