• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 15 |OT| We didn't do it

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Why Stafford Is MVP

This leaves Matthew Stafford. No player has been worth more to a successful team in 2016. Stafford’s receiving corps features a No. 1 who doesn’t draw double teams (Marvin Jones), an inconsistent No. 2 who subsists largely on gadget plays (Golden Tate) and an elderly slot man who can no longer run (Anquan Boldin). Stafford’s offensive line is improved, but with rookies Graham Glasgow and Taylor Decker on the left side, and middle-tier guys everywhere else, it still runs hot and cold. That’s partly why the Lions have a ground game that ranks 29th and must be supplemented with screen passes and misdirection concepts—tactics that hinge on Stafford’s presnap decision-making. On defense, the Lions are gradually improved but still not a unit of stingy stoppers or dynamic playmakers.

Cooter asks Stafford to be more of a field general. The quarterback has to do more defensive diagnostics before the snap, which naturally leads to smarter decisions after it. As part of this approach, the Lions, by modern NFL standards, are pretty static and constricted in their formations and personnel packages. They’re counting on the scheme winning through execution. Which is to say, they’re counting on their quarterback’s football IQ and discipline.

The best part is: Through his newfound discipline, Stafford has still been able to call upon his gunslinger characteristics when late-game comeback situations demand it. [b/2People like to attribute late-game heroics to nebulous, mystical traits like “It Factors” and “Moxie.” But really, the “magic” comes from arm strength and precision accuracy. Or, in Stafford’s case, arm strength and precision accuracy on off-balance throws and from weird arm angles. These are ideal traits for challenging the deep voids in Cover 2, which is what most teams play when protecting a late lead. They’re also a good way to counter the intensified pass rush pressure that comes in those obvious throwing situations[/b].

Note: It is a little bit of "It Factor"

The Lions are two wins away from winning their first division title since 1993. For perspective, every other NFC team has won at least three division titles in that time. Stafford, who was five years old when that NFC Central banner was raised, deserves the credit for ending the drought. He’s been the Most Valuable Player of this NFL season.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/12/...m-bob-cooter-fourth-quarter-comebacks-week-14

the-clap-o.gif

squicken

I didn't realize the Broncos had such a killer ending schedule (NE,KC,OAK). If MIA can beat the Jets and Bills, maybe NE isn't playing for anything Week 17 and they can get in?

Jarate

Banned
Stafford's main issues are stat based. He's #9 in yards, 12th in TD's and 13th in YPA. In comparison to Matt Ryan, whose team is in a similar place then the Lions, the season he's having is worse. Of course, Ryan has a much better offesnive weapon set, but he's also averaging around 2 more YPA, has 8 more TD passes, and has 800 more yards.

Then you have to deal with Brady who has thrown just as many TD passes as Stafford, all while missing 4 games. He's 22/2 TD INT rate is insane, and he might win just off of namesake alone (I don't think a guy who's team went 3-1 without him should be MVP)

Also, if Rodgers wins out and produces like he has been, and brings his team to the playoffs, he may move in front of Stafford at the end. The Packers offensive scheme has basically been about him shouldering practically all of the offensive load for the Packers, and he has been really good during this stretch.

Also, Ezekial Elliot should be in the conversation as well. No other skill player has had the year he's had, and honestly, his team has been very dependant on him.

Matt Ryan should be in the lead IMO since he's the only player that have "absurd" statistical production this year on a successful team, but the Falcons can easily miss the playoffs this year. The only other player coming close to his production is Brady, whose team went 3-1 without him.

I didn't realize the Broncos had such a killer ending schedule (NE,KC,OAK). If MIA can beat the Jets and Bills, maybe NE isn't playing for anything Week 17 and they can get in?

It's a little complicated, this is the easiest but there are other scenarios which are far more unlikely

So what is Miami’s path the postseason?

It’s fairly straight-forward: Finish a game ahead of Denver.

The Dolphins either need to win out and have the Broncos lose once or go 2-1 and have the Broncos lose two of three games down the stretch. If that happens, the Dolphins will get in, regardless of what else transpires.

Now, if Matt Moore reels off three straight pressure wins after not starting a game in five years, he’ll be worth every penny the Dolphins have spent on him since 2011.

But more likely than not, the Dolphins will lose one of their last three (at the Jets, at the Bills and home against the Patriots).

Still, one loss wouldn’t necessarily be fatal.

The Broncos have the most grueling finishing stretch of any team in football. Their final three opponents -- New England, Kansas City and Oakland -- have a combined winning percentage of .795.

So it’s more likely the Broncos don’t win again than win out.

We’ll leave you with one more bit of good news, Dolphins fans: If the Ravens, Steelers and Dolphins all finish 10-6 and the Broncos go 9-7, Baltimore would win its division and Miami would get in over Pittsburgh due to a head-to-head win on Oct. 16.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article120625148.html

Bitanator

Dallas got rid of a developmental running back in Darius Jackson to keep Darren McFadden who proved last year useless on third and short and did not participate on special teams, and happens to be injured whenever he breathes

Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ what the fuck is up with people expecting me to put an arm around Trump voters who would be happy with taking away all of my civil liberties if it saved them $200 in annual taxes?

squicken

There's just no clear MVP. I like the idea of giving it to the DAL offensive line, but there's no way to really do that. I guess if the Packers finish on a good run then Rodgers

Texans defense has the least amount of scrimmage plays in the NFL 778, Giants defense is second in the league with 894, Giants offense is putrid, 3 and out defense back on the field... most defensive scrimmage plays 9ers, 914, they 1-12..

Edit: Giants 3rd down defense is the 4th best in the league, teams are only converting 36% of the time.. so they are getting off the field, but the McApoo shit offense puts them right back on the field...

Tom Penny

Didn't they lose twice to the ravens in the playoffs there?

Yep. 70 yard TD by wife beater on the first run play in the 1st one. Talib gimping out of his1st or second Patriot playoff game in the next. They also lost to Buffalo twice. Once when Brady played a half in the final irrelevant game and this year against Brisket. 50-4 is aiight I guess.

Bread

Banned
There's just no clear MVP. I like the idea of giving it to the DAL offensive line, but there's no way to really do that. I guess if the Packers finish on a good run then Rodgers
Rodgers was so bad for the first few weeks, I don't know how you could consider him and not Brady.

I don't really know how much my taxes will be with him as potus and I don't give a shit, fuck him and fuck anyone that voted for him. I'd easily pay double what I do now to make sure he never becomes president.

MechDX

Texans defense has the least amount of scrimmage plays in the NFL 778, Giants defense is second in the league with 894, Giants offense is putrid, 3 and out defense back on the field... most defensive scrimmage plays 9ers, 914, they 1-12..

Credit to Crennel and his defensive staff. How they are doing this with players like Watt, Kevin Johnson, Kj Dillion (all starter) and others on IR along with numerous other starters missing time is amazing.

Going to lose two (Vrabel and John Butler) likely this off season

Edit: Giants 3rd down defense is the 4th best in the league, teams are only converting 36% of the time.. so they are getting off the field, but the McApoo shit offense puts them right back on the field...

I know we can't run the ball but man I'd never been so mad about a three out than the one a little before the final two minutes of Sunday's game. Like taking a knee practically with the opponent having all their timeouts.

non-football related: Man I fucking loved Arrival. Saw it earlier today.

Jarate

Banned
Rodgers was so bad for the first few weeks, I don't know how you could consider him and not Brady.

Brady's team was still good while he was not playing, Rodgers team wasn't playing well when he was plying poorly. Remember, it's MVP, not offensive player of the year.

I still think Brady is going to win it, just based off of name sake alone, but honestly, Ryan is the most deserving at this moment imo

bionic77

I don't really know how much my taxes will be with him as potus and I don't give a shit, fuck him and fuck anyone that voted for him. I'd easily pay double what I do now to make sure he never becomes president.
I am with you.

Next year is going to be the worst until Switch saves us.

Top Bottom