• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 15 |OT| We didn't do it

RBH

USATSI_9741661_1481820371788_7352286_ver1.0.jpg

Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett will happily talk about quarterback Blake Bortles, play calls, attacking defenses and strategy for hours.

Ask him about Star Wars, though, and Hackett really gets going. So much so that he nearly missed the start of Thursday’s practice.

Hackett, who turns 37 on Monday, is a huge fan of the movie franchise and has been ever since he was a child. It goes beyond boxes of memorabilia (which he has, some in the original packaging), dressing up in character (which he has done, including Halloween 2015) and watching the movies over and over again.

Hackett has put Star Wars into his offensive playbook at various coaching stops. He tried to put in a couple named after the movie franchise with the Jaguars, but his quarterback vetoed them.

"He was trying to call something 'Han Solo,'" Bortles said. "We changed the name [to] Sugar.

"Han Solo made zero sense."

It didn’t to Bortles because he’s 24 years old and has never seen any of the movies. But to Hackett, it’s a way to mix two of his favorite things.

Hackett said he’s used Star Wars plays as the offensive coordinator in Buffalo (2013-14) and as a quality-control coach in Tampa (2006-07), among other stops. At one point, he had a play in the playbook called Yoda.

"My whole career I’ve had numerous ones," Hackett said. "Actually had one just named Star Wars with a Han [Solo] check and [Princess] Leia check.

"We’ve had screens off of it. We’ve had Y screens. We’ve had halfback screens. We’ve had slants, runs, all the things off of specific formations, so it was a special formation. We actually had a Star Wars package at Tampa at one point. We’ve had all kinds of good stuff."

Hackett only tried to put in a couple of Star Wars plays with the Jaguars, but it didn’t go well because more players than just his quarterback had no idea what he was talking about. That would send Hackett into full fanboy explanation mode, but Bortles said nobody was interested, so they ended up renaming the plays.

"The problem is, none of us are into it, so he doesn’t have anybody to talk to about it ... so it’s kind of a good thing," Bortles said.

Hackett was born two years after "Star Wars" premiered in 1977 and was too young to appreciate the sequels that premiered in 1980 ("The Empire Strikes Back") and 1983 ("Return of the Jedi"). Hackett’s father, former NFL and college coach Paul Hackett, was a big fan, though, and passed that on to Nathaniel as he got older.

"My dad had a laser disc of the original "Star Wars," and I watched it so many times it got scratched," Hackett said. "I probably watched it at least 70 times growing up as a kid. I still remember having to flip [the disc] over right when they would arrive at the Death Star."

Hackett hit the jackpot when one of his brothers married into a family that included someone that worked as an assistant to Rick McCallum, who worked with Star Wars creator George Lucas to produce revised versions of the original trilogy and produced the three prequels. That family connection earned him a tour of Skywalker Ranch, which is Lucas’ movie ranch and workplace in Marin County, California.

Even Hackett’s wife, Megan, has a Star Wars connection. Hackett said she once lived near Skywalker Ranch, and to get to her home she used the same exit: Lucas Valley Road.

"I knew it would be a perfect match," Hackett joked.

Hackett’s wife also is a Star Wars fan, or she’s the most understanding spouse in history, because she joined in the Hackett family’s group Halloween costume in 2015. She was Darth Vader. Hackett’s two sons were Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, and his two daughters were Queen Amidala and Princess Leia.

"I was Han Solo," Hackett said. "I’m Han all the way. I love me some Han."

Hackett said Thursday that he wasn’t going to be able to make the premiere of the newest movie in the franchise, "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story." It wasn’t for lack of trying, though.

"We had the conversation today that him and his wife usually go to dinner or do something every Friday night, and he’s trying to talk her into making the date night seeing Star Wars," Bortles said. "And then I said, ‘Is there any realistic chance that you dress up?’ and he said it’s highly likely.

"He said he got a text message from one of his buddies growing up, in costume, getting ready to go see the movie tonight, so he’s got some weird, nerdy friends that all like it."
http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonvil...thaniel-hackett-mixes-star-wars-with-football

Tom Penny

Goodell is GOAT

For the Giants and WalkieTalkieGate, it appears that a wrist slap is in order. Multiple reports say the Giants are going to get off with just a fine.

It’s somewhat surprising that the league won’t come down harder on the Giants. When former Browns G.M. Ray Farmer violated an in-game communications rule by texting the coaching staff during a game, he was suspended for four games. It’s odd that one in-game communication violation results in a suspension, but another one doesn’t.

MechDX

Whitney Mercilus out for the Texans today. They have ONE OLB active, Brennan Scarlett UDFA from Standford who just this week came off the IR.......

Crennell and his staff will be seriously tested

Admodieus

How bad are the conditions at the Meadowlands for Giants-Lions? Was planning on starting Golden Tate today, but bad conditions plus Stafford's finger have made me consider Mohammed Sanu over him.

MechDX

Texans PR ‏@TexansPR 2m2 minutes ago
Today's @HoustonTexans inactives:
5- QB Weeden
20- S Jones
24- CB Joseph
51- OLB Simon
59- OLB Mercilus
79- G Allen
87- TE Fiedorowicz

Savage:The Return!! Only one play away......

102450-nicolas-cage-wink-gif-smiling-IFKN.gif

How bad are the conditions at the Meadowlands for Giants-Lions? Was planning on starting Golden Tate today, but bad conditions plus Stafford's finger have made me consider Mohammed Sanu over him.

Can't speak for the field but it's like 50 degrees after snowfall yesterday but supposed to rain later.

MechDX

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew 3m3 minutes ago
Drew Dougherty Retweeted Brian Cushing
For 1st time ever, Texans rolling w/Battle Red jerseys, Deep Steel Blue pants...

post-40082-Obama-Not-Sure-gif-Imgur-nmRo.gif

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 11s11 seconds ago
#Texans have 5 starters out today: 2 on offense (G, TE); 3 on defense (2 OLBs, CB). #JAXvsHOU

Welp....

Paul Turner deactivated today. Wtf, he seemed like the only guy on offense to try against the Bengals. Way to reward DGB for his lazy routes and lack of effort. Oh well gotta do everything then can to try and make that trade look good.

Pepiope

Ian rapport is saying Doug and Howie will get one more year, boy I hope he is wrong.
Was it ever in doubt that they'd not be back?

They're both here till like 2020 at least.

Paul Turner deactivated today. Wtf, he seemed like the only guy on offense to try against the Bengals. Way to reward DGB for his lazy routes and lack of effort. Oh well gotta do everything then can to try and make that trade look good.
He had a bad drop last week, and DGB is not only the better player, but is a guy who may actually have a future here.

Was it ever in doubt that they'd not be back?

They're both here till like 2020 at least.
You are fucking nuts if you really believe that. Next year is make or break for both. Another disaster like this year and lurie will be forced to unload that garbage Howie.

squicken

In the preseason he had that fade from Bradford and I thought he was going to be a RZ force, but I guess it was just fluke thing b/c he has never consistently shown that ability

Pepiope

You are fucking nuts if you really believe that. Next year is make or break for both. Another disaster like this year and lurie will be forced to unload that garbage Howie.
This season has been a success. Wentz looks to be the guy, and solving the biggest problem most franchises have in year 1 is going to keep them here for a bit.

Dishwalla

Banned
I am not a Pats fan and never will be, but I would like Denver to lose, want them to miss the playoffs. Won't be watching the game anyways because I will be watching the Raiders.

Also go Titans!

Top Bottom