• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 6 - I'm Going to Go Home and Sleep With My Wife

It's only really a gimmick when implemented poorly.

For flight sim and driving sim stuff, it's already a revelation if you have the high-end hardware for it.
Flight sim might be true, haven't heard a definitive judgment on that.

Driving sims it is definitely not ready, the resolution is too low and tunnelvision sucks. 3 monitors is better.

To follow up on my last post, just because I don't feel like going back and editing that shit.

I don't even hate the move of drafting Sanchez or Worley or Bradberry.

I hate the fact that the Panthers were put in a position where they had to rely on those guys to be major players for them when they didn't have to.

They had Norman and Benwikere on the roster and they still had the cap to go out and get vets.

Tillman was 98 years old last year and was literally falling apart on the field but could still contribute because of how much experience he had. There's no substitute for the lessons you learn from being in the big leagues for years.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Holy shit.

I can't wait until this tech gets into arcades. I think high end VR would really benefit from mass exposure at places like Dave and Busters. People need to see that the tech is there, it's awesome, and not a gimmick.

I'll probably jump onto the VR bandwagon when the second generation of headsets/controllers is released, I don't want to spend that kind of money only to settle for headsets with screen door effects or sub standard controllers.

By that time devs will have figured out how to make good use of VR, what works and what doesn't. Almost pulled the trigger on the Oculus but managed to talk myself out of it, aren't enough games that make it worthwhile for me.

The hardware is 100% there already though. The Vive controllers are solid, the headset is comfortable, and the graphics are crisp. The next iteration would have to be something like an all in one backpack device because the biggest hindrance right now is walking around with a giant cable behind you like you're in the Matrix. I'd also love to eventually see controllers that map directly to your hands and feet with a gesture based system. I already felt like the god damned Iron Man using the Vive but VR finger gloves would make it even more amazing.

The other issue I noticed is that picking up "objects" and interacting with things still feels a bit cumbersome. I can't wait for the tech to get more refined to where you can do something like play chess like you normally would or other things that require more dexterity.

The games are kinda scattered around sadly. There's not really enough games as is and the different VR manufacturers are securing exclusives left and right. Balkanization of available VR software is going to hurt the adoption rate in the short term. So I can get why you're turned off by the software options. It's going to take some time to get there.

I'm so high on VR right now that I don't see a future where it isn't the future of gaming. It's the gameplay jump we've been waiting like decades for. The Wii was a glimpse and kinda shitty frankly (I hate waggle with a passion) but VR takes that and goes way beyond.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
FDriving sims it is definitely not ready, the resolution is too low and tunnelvision sucks. 3 monitors is better.

Resolution is good enough now if you have the hardware to raise graphical settings pretty high and supersample on top of that. But otherwise yes, it's too hard to read the cockpit dials and you'd need to rely on a good HUD/UI setup.

Mindlog

Flight sim might be true, haven't heard a definitive judgment on that.

Driving sims it is definitely not ready, the resolution is too low and tunnelvision sucks. 3 monitors is better.
I got you.
BAM.
ksROv7v.jpg

Holy shit.

I can't wait until this tech gets into arcades. I think high end VR would really benefit from mass exposure at places like Dave and Busters. People need to see that the tech is there, it's awesome, and not a gimmick.

The hardware is 100% there already though. The Vive controllers are solid, the headset is comfortable, and the graphics are crisp. The next iteration would have to be something like an all in one backpack device because the biggest hindrance right now is walking around with a giant cable behind you like you're in the Matrix. I'd also love to eventually see controllers that map directly to your hands and feet with a gesture based system. I already felt like the god damned Iron Man using the Vive but VR finger gloves would make it even more amazing.

The other issue I noticed is that picking up "objects" and interacting with things still feels a bit cumbersome. I can't wait for the tech to get more refined to where you can do something like play chess like you normally would or other things that require more dexterity.

The games are kinda scattered around sadly. There's not really enough games as is and the different VR manufacturers are securing exclusives left and right. Balkanization of available VR software is going to hurt the adoption rate in the short term. So I can get why you're turned off by the software options. It's going to take some time to get there.

I'm so high on VR right now that I don't see a future where it isn't the future of gaming. It's the gameplay jump we've been waiting like decades for. The Wii was a glimpse and kinda shitty frankly (I hate waggle with a passion) but VR takes that and goes way beyond.

Valve have already prototyped new controllers, if VR genuinely becomes a thing then it's going to advance leaps and bounds in the next 12-18 months so I don't see the point in jumping in now.

effzee

It's been 2 weeks everyone. Relax.

I think the hot start boosted your confidence too much. This was never a super bowl team. We have weaknesses throughout the roster, a rookie HC, a new defensive scheme, and a rookie QB.

Wentz played another pretty good game given the circumstances, and he isn't dead. That makes this a good week.

What are you talking about? What I am complaining about is simple stuff.

First of all the D, and in particular the D line, is supposed to be the strength. Doesn't matter if they are starting a Rookie QB and the coach is a first time coach. The D coordinator is a former head coach and had them humming.

They got pushed around for 2 straight games. That has nothing to do with the O. Missed tackles, sloppy coverage and concentration, and zero pass rush. Where has Hicks disappeared to? He went from a play maker to just someone who is on the field. Where is Barwin?

Nice of them to also cut Rowe when they are 1 injury away from forcing Jenkins to play corner. McKelvin is always hurt and is hurt again yet they still chose to not keep Rowe.

My frustrations have nothing to do with what we all thought would be the real development, Wentz. He still played well and did what he could. Yeah he held on to the ball a lot when I thought he should have taken off but the problems primarily was the play calling.

What are you talking about? What I am complaining about is simple stuff.

First of all the D, and in particular the D line, is supposed to be the strength. Doesn't matter if they are starting a Rookie QB and the coach is a first time coach. The D coordinator is a former head coach and had them humming.

They got pushed around for 2 straight games. That has nothing to do with the O. Missed tackles, sloppy coverage and concentration, and zero pass rush. Where has Hicks disappeared to? He went from a play maker to just someone who is on the field. Where is Barwin?

Nice of them to also cut Rowe when they are 1 injury away from forcing Jenkins to play corner. McKelvin is always hurt and is hurt again yet they still chose to not keep Rowe.

My frustrations have nothing to do with what we all thought would be the real development, Wentz. He still played well and did what he could. Yeah he held on to the ball a lot when I thought he should have taken off but the problems primarily was the play calling.

Yeah the Rowe thing is such a black cloud over this team. They decided to trust a 7th round rookie and it really hurt them yesterday. Its not like they needed the roster spot either. They easily could have kept Rowe even if it was only insurance. Guys get banged up in the NFL, the idea that they were totally set at CB was just stupid.

Hindl

You know, I was thinking about going off on Big V too, but actually it's not as clear cut as it seems. Wentz was sacked 5 times, right? The first sack was given up by Celek, not Vaitai. The second was all on Vaitai. The last two sacks? Those were on Wentz. He held on to the ball forever on both of those and protection broke down across the entire offensive line, not just on Vaitai's side. Wentz needed to throw the ball away or move out of the pocket on both of the final two sacks. So the sacks were Celek, Vaitai, ?, Wentz, Wentz in responsibility. The third one I don't remember clearly if it was Vaitai at fault or another offensive lineman.

What I will say is that Vaitai was much better in the second half than he was in the first half. I think the kid can learn and improve. Even if Vaitai was at fault for the third sack, Lane Johnson gave up two sacks to the Chiefs in his third game as a rookie. It's going to happen to rookie tackles.

Vaitai did give up a lot of pressures that didn't end with sacks though. It felt like there was constant pressure on Wentz from the right side for the entire first two or three drives. Vaitai was afraid of getting beat around the sides for those three drives and was voluntarily walking backwards giving up the pressure on almost every play. He cleaned that up a bit in the second half to my eyes, and stood his ground better. I think Vaitai will learn from the experience and look better in a few short games. The problem is the Vikings have a better pass rush than Washington, and if they intend to keep him at that position he's going to have it rough there. That said, I think they did a poor job of helping him with playcalling. Not many screens, not many short passes, no RB help, and not enough TE help on that side. The help they did give was essentially to run the ball to the LT side, but all that did is let the Washington D know where running plays were going to go so they could focus coverage on that side.

If Billy Davis had two of these performances in a row we would rightly be calling for his head. Jim Schwartz needs to be held to the same level of accountability. This defense has been putrid since the bye.

Vaitai did improve, but one thing I did notice is that he was consistently beat by Kerrigan's swim move. Multiple times, I saw him engage on the outside and Kerrigan would dip inside and blow right past him, resulting in a lot of the pressures. Maybe this is the reason for the bolded? He was afraid of getting beat like that again, so he stood back a bit more and waited to engage. I think he can develop too, but he isn't ready for primetime. Which makes sense, he's a 5th round rookie who's main asset is his size and arm length. He needs at least a year of adjustment, which is fine, but not what the team wants right now. Keep Celek in as an extra blocker on his side, or hell put Tobin in as a 3rd TE and make him strictly a blocker to help out Big V.

As for Schwartz, I think he's being held as accountable as possible by the fans and media. On all the fan sites I've gone to, they've talked about how awful the D has been, all the blown assignments, open gaps, lack of discipline, etc. And they've been calling him out on it. I think he gets a bit more leeway since it's a new system and was working well the first few weeks, but if this continues, I'm not worried about the media and fans giving him a free pass. They'll rake him over the coals if this doesn't get fixed. I agree with your assessment though that a lot of the issues falls with the LBs. The DTs were playing well, the DEs could be criticized a bit more but mostly set the edge. It was very rare that all of those big runs got to the outside, most of them were Jones cutting back in to a wide open gap. I'm not sure what happened, but LB play has dropped off a cliff. Really bizarre and they have to figure it out. We're heading into a difficult part of the schedule so I'm expecting losses, but I at least want the team to look good and competitive in it. The saddest part is despite two 100+ yd penalty games and the atrocious defense, both of those games were well within reach. Schwartz needs to figure something out to make the Defense look like what it did before.

Vaitai did improve, but one thing I did notice is that he was consistently beat by Kerrigan's swim move. Multiple times, I saw him engage on the outside and Kerrigan would dip inside and blow right past him, resulting in a lot of the pressures. Maybe this is the reason for the bolded? He was afraid of getting beat like that again, so he stood back a bit more and waited to engage. I think he can develop too, but he isn't ready for primetime. Which makes sense, he's a 5th round rookie who's main asset is his size and arm length. He needs at least a year of adjustment, which is fine, but not what the team wants right now. Keep Celek in as an extra blocker on his side, or hell put Tobin in as a 3rd TE and make him strictly a blocker to help out Big V.

With how the first three games went it's easy to forget that everyone expected this to be a year for development. As long as Wentz isn't getting injured or getting 3-5 sacks every game I say leave Vaitai in to develop. Yeah, give him extra help, but there's no reason to take him out in a developmental year.

As for Schwartz, I think he's being held as accountable as possible by the fans and media. On all the fan sites I've gone to, they've talked about how awful the D has been, all the blown assignments, open gaps, lack of discipline, etc. And they've been calling him out on it. I think he gets a bit more leeway since it's a new system and was working well the first few weeks, but if this continues, I'm not worried about the media and fans giving him a free pass. They'll rake him over the coals if this doesn't get fixed. I agree with your assessment though that a lot of the issues falls with the LBs. The DTs were playing well, the DEs could be criticized a bit more but mostly set the edge. It was very rare that all of those big runs got to the outside, most of them were Jones cutting back in to a wide open gap. I'm not sure what happened, but LB play has dropped off a cliff. Really bizarre and they have to figure it out. We're heading into a difficult part of the schedule so I'm expecting losses, but I at least want the team to look good and competitive in it. The saddest part is despite two 100+ yd penalty games and the atrocious defense, both of those games were well within reach. Schwartz needs to figure something out to make the Defense look like what it did before.

Bradham and Hicks looked ok, although I did see Bradham make a really bad play on a tackle at least once. But I saw Hicks get blocked in the back multiple times, and there were some hold on the LBs. I think that's part of the reason their play declined. Can't blame officiating for this loss though, it was a minor part.

I might be the only gamer who doesn't care for VR, my VR is the PS2 commercial for PS9, when that is ready wake me up, MS hologen thing is really nice but that is probably years away, my VR is blending real world with fantasy of the game you playing..

Beach

Yesterday's Raiders game was a needed step back to reality. We are still an offseason away from actually being contenders in the AFC

We literally have no linebackers. Even Bruce Irvin comes through about once a game. When Carr has a bad game like yesterday, the game is over. There is no chance that our defense will win the game for us. Teams like the Chiefs who utilize the short passing game and expose our linebacker coverage destroy us.

We might make the AFC Wildcard because the AFC is garbage but we are nowhere near the same tier as the Pats or healthy Steelers.

I still think we finish 9-7 or 10-6 and just barely do playoffs but my God how can you allow the other team to score 25+ points week in and week out. Fire KNJ, make a chance. Do something.

squicken

Tony Grossi ‏@TonyGrossi
The bottom line of this #Browns rebuild: The last Cleveland QB to win a game was Johnny Manziel.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I like the theory that the Monstars stole Rodgers's talent.

Only because it's just as good as any other theory at this point because nobody knows what the fuck is going on.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like the theory that the Monstars stole Rodgers's talent.

Only because it's just as good as any other theory at this point because nobody knows what the fuck is going on.

I actually heard a pretty good one the other day. The O Line is too good now, giving him too much time, and the extra time is making him paranoid. Even this year he's one of the most accurate passers when the pocket breaks down; his bad throws are all coming when he has time to think about it. In short, it's all in his head. I still blame McCarthy.

jmdajr

Texan's CB Kevin Johnson (2015 no.1 pick) broke his foot in Sunday night's comeback win over Indianapolis and will be out indefinitely, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per two sources informed of both Joseph's and Johnson's situations.

doh

Guys. Rodgers talent drain is obvious. Munn is sucking it out of him.

His play has been declining ever since they got together. She praised Rodgers for two successful hail Mary's in one season when they lost the Divisional for crying out loud.

Line_HTX

Texan's Kevin Johnson broke his foot in Sunday night's comeback win over Indianapolis and will be out indefinitely, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per two sources informed of both Joseph's and Johnson's situations.

doh

Watch as the secondary gives up all the big deep balls against Green Bay in Week 13.

Hindl

With how the first three games went it's easy to forget that everyone expected this to be a year for development. As long as Wentz isn't getting injured or getting 3-5 sacks every game I say leave Vaitai in to develop. Yeah, give him extra help, but there's no reason to take him out in a developmental year.

Bradham and Hicks looked ok, although I did see Bradham make a really bad play on a tackle at least once. But I saw Hicks get blocked in the back multiple times, and there were some hold on the LBs. I think that's part of the reason their play declined. Can't blame officiating for this loss though, it was a minor part.

Yeah, I agree with that. I guess my mention of him not being ready for primetime isn't that we should pull him, but that we shouldn't expect anything from him. I'm just worried about next week, after that we have a break where he'll be facing some good, but not dominant pass rushers. But I'd say keep him in, we just need to give him support.

And yeah, I did notice some blown block in the back calls. Penalties have been rough these past two weeks, but like you said, can't blame the loss on that.

We run the damn East," Ricky Jean Francois said, via the Washington Post. "Not Philly, not Dallas, not all of them. We run the damn East. Better remember we got that damn (title)."

Y'all forgot who the real champs of the NFC East is," Chris Baker shouted, "everyone picking them trash-ass Eagles."

God damn I hope the Cowboys and Giants stomp the fuck out of the racists the next time they play them.

That moment when you remember that every other team in your division has the tiebreaker on you :(

We still 3 time defending NFC South heavyweight champions of the world tho :)

I wouldn't even be that worried if I were a Carolina fan.

Considering that Carolina hosted a home playoff game with a losing record 2 years ago means that they still have plenty of room to win the NFC South and do the same this year.

cdyhybrid

I wouldn't even be that worried if I were a Carolina fan.

Considering that Carolina hosted a home playoff game with a losing record 2 years ago means that they still have plenty of room to win the NFC South and do the same this year.
Problem is that that relies on ATL collapsing again. Which is possible, but that's out of their control.

Top Bottom