• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 8 |OT| - Plays of the Week

TheFatOne

I've been meaning to post this, but have honestly been afraid of jinxing the Pats. Cannon has been really solid so far this year. He is way better right now than at any point last season. It helps when you have an oline coaching god, but he's done a really nice job so far this year. He's not perfect, but he's much improved and that's all I can really ask of him.
There's a lot of players that could be leaving soon.

Hightower, Butler, Ryan, Harmon, Long, Sheard, Solder, Cannon, Gronk (restructure), Bennett, Blount.

I think that's all.

Hightower, Butler, and Gronk are the only locks on that list.

@wingoz
The kicker with the worst FG % on the season.... was the only one drafted.. Robert Aguayo.. whom The Bucs traded up in the 2nd round to get

3 of the last 4 games the Eagles have had a RB fumble in the 4th quarter. twice the Eagles lost the lead and went on to lose the game as a result of those fumbles. Smallwood has only had 10 touches since his 80 yard game a month ago against the Steelers, his first touch yesterday came in the 4th quarter in the Eagles own territory. They need to figure out what is going on with the RBs, Barner looks good but never gets touches, and who ever gets the ball in the 4th quarter fumbles it.

I remember in 2014, Steelers face the Asterisks, Bell's breakout year, and Bell was lined up on Hightower. He runs a wheel route and Ben goes to him - perfect mismatch on paper, play went how Steelers drew it up surely. Hightower followed him stride for stride and even broke up the pass. I was amazed. That guys plays at what, 270 pounds? He's not going anywhere.

This is going to sound silly, but I always thought Bill misused Collins. Just find ways to let him rush the passer.

Regardless, this trade does bring up an interesting scenario. Say you have a 10+ sack guy in the final year of his rookie contract, do you pay him or flip him for a top 100 pick.

Depemds on your philosophy. Bill doesn't give a rats ass about defensive stars, so he gets shipped off. Steelers would kill for a 10 sack linebacker right now.

Duxxy3

3 of the last 4 games the Eagles have had a RB fumble in the 4th quarter. twice the Eagles lost the lead and went on to lose the game as a result of those fumbles. Smallwood has only had 10 touches since his 80 yard game a month ago against the Steelers, his first touch yesterday came in the 4th quarter in the Eagles own territory. They need to figure out what is going on with the RBs, Barner looks good but never gets touches, and who ever gets the ball in the 4th quarter fumbles it.

Rookie running backs fumble. When Kevin Faulk got into the league it only took a stiff breeze to knock the ball out of his hands. But he figured it out. I still consider him the Pats best all around running back of my era.

The key is to give the ball to rookie running backs when a fumble could hurt you the least.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
@wingoz
The kicker with the worst FG % on the season.... was the only one drafted.. Robert Aguayo.. whom The Bucs traded up in the 2nd round to get

633.gif

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I wonder what Belichick would have done with Von Miller last year.

Patriots are like the Seahawks in my mind.

I'm generally just assuming they'll win and I'm surprised when they don't. I don't think the Patriots would even need someone like Von Miller to win 12 games. They could use 4th and 5th round guys on their entire defense and still win the division.

They'd probably pay him some money though.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Rob Demovsky via Twitter said:
Packers WR Ty Montgomery said the symptoms that kept him out were related to sickle cell trait. He said doctors told him it isn't career threatening and he even hopes to play this week against the Colts.

"career threatening" is different than "career limiting" though.

I had high hopes for Montgomery too.

CwHjH1hWgAEnQi4.jpg

How did they even get 4 primetime games?

I wonder why the ratings are down

The ones who hate having shit teams on prime time most are their own fans. It makes zero sense.

Placing MNF lower on the food chain makes it worse because it's way harder to flex games from Sunday to Monday, if even possible at all. So MNF should be getting the most likely marquee matchups every week. Instead they shoved it to cable and we get the Bears four times, which literally nobody wants, Bears fans least of all.

Only a moron wouldn't pay Miller.

Who was the last defensive player to even get a payday with the Asterisks?

The ones who hate having shit teams on prime time most are their own fans. It makes zero sense.

Placing MNF lower on the food chain makes it worse because it's way harder to flex games from Sunday to Monday, if even possible at all. So MNF should be getting the most likely marquee matchups every week. Instead they shoved it to cable and we get the Bears four times, which literally nobody wants, Bears fans least of all.

Will never happen.

MNF doesn't get its pick of matchups anymore, and it won't. It's on Cable - viewership is immediately hampered. MNF fate was sealed they day they moved it off of ABC.

Line_HTX

Whoever's in charge of primetime scheduling ought to be fired.

Also I hope next year Houston only gets noon or 3:25. No more night games and people need to sleep.

Hindl

Smallwood's a rookie and Mathews is just getting up there in age and starting to play sloppy. We need new RBs, that's pretty much it. Mathews shouldn't be on the team next year. Sproles looks like he can stick around for 2017, but he's gonna have to retire probably after that. Beyond that you have Smallwood who's got room to grow, and Barner, who has looked good in limited touches, but for whatever reason isn't being used. They have to go after one of the RBs in this draft. Maybe not 1st round, but see which of them falls to the second and grab them. So we'd probably have another 4 RBs next year, but after that it'll clear up a bit.

TheFatOne

Who was the last defensive player to even get a payday with the Asterisks?

Who was the last player on defense of the same caliber as Von Miller who the Pats have had in the Belichick era? They haven't had anyone like that since Bill has been here. They have had really good defensive players, but no one like Von. Bill would pay up for Miller in a heartbeat.

Duxxy3

So if the Browns don't end up with a 3rd round compensatory pick, the Pats will receive a 4th round compensatory pick instead.

What an awful awful trade.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Damnit I hate this trade... A 3rd rounder?! There has to be more to this. Either way Collins has been disappointing all season tbh and the run defense has been atrocious. Still when he was on, he was fun to watch.

Who was the last player on defense of the same caliber as Von Miller who the Pats have had in the Belichick era? They haven't had anyone like that since Bill has been here. They have had really good defensive players, but no one like Von. Bill would pay up for Miller in a heartbeat.

Richard Seymour.

So if the Browns don't end up with a 3rd round compensatory pick, the Pats will receive a 4th round compensatory pick instead.

What an awful awful trade.

Do the Browns even have anyone that they could lose that would get them a 3rd back as compensation? To get a 3rd the player you lose has to get a top salary for his position right? I mean Pryor will get a huge contract if he leaves but I figure the Browns will do what ever they have to to keep him.

They have to be Von Miller tier to get paid?

Chandler Jones deserved to get paid. He got shipped off instead. Bill doesn't WANT players like Von Miller. Too expensive. Bill wants players who play assignment football as instructed.

This is just from memory, but it seems every player O or D that has been sniffing around a new contract has been shipped off, shy of Brady himself.

This Collins thing makes me want to break my laptop in half

Trust me, he did not deserve to get paid

Meh, dude is wreaking havoc with the Cardinals, probably top 5 at the position. Worth Von Miller money? No, but serious money he would have really helped the pass rush and overall defence this season as well.

Duxxy3

Do the Browns even have anyone that they could lose that would get them a 3rd back as compensation? To get a 3rd the player you lose has to get a top salary for his position right? I mean Pryor will get a huge contract if he leaves but I figure the Browns will do what ever they have to to keep him.

Didn't they lose quite a few of those in this past offseason?

comp picks are based on the prior year, so assuming the pick is for the 2017 draft, they'll likely get a 3rd or 4th for Alex Mack leaving this offseason.

can't think of anyone else that left this year that would warrant a high comp pick

lol Mackenzie your avatar
Alex Mack is the supposed comp pick

cdyhybrid

I don't know why anyone would want to play for the Pats. They won't want to pay you, you won't win any legitimate championships, and you're surrounded by Trump supporters.

Didn't they lose quite a few of those in this past offseason?

The pick in the trade today will be based on this coming offseason, right? Look at the Browns list of upcoming FAs and tell me who will fetch a 3rd round compensation pick. Browns got rid of a ton of guys last year, this year they will be adding guys not losing guys. I wouldnt be surprised at all to see the Pats get a 4th back and not a 3rd.

Edit: I see mackenzie answered this. I didnt realize that it was a year behind.

Just say the video of Josh Norman calling out a ref, you be fucked from here on out, every week those refs will keep a closer eye on you...

Hate to say it but I think they need to get rid of Duce Staley. Other than Sproles all RBs playing under him have looked pretty bad.

Top Bottom