• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 9 |OT| - This. is. the. GPODAWUND

squicken

Cwq4DTGXgAADUUN.jpg:large

ANY/A differential is more predictive than passer rating differential

Hindl

Rookie hc. We over achieved at the beginning of the season, this isn't a playoff team.

Yeah those first 3 games were a tease. It also could be that this team is a reverse of recent eagles teams, where we're great at home and shit on the road. Luckily we have mostly home games coming up. But yeah, not making the playoffs.

I thought last week Dougie really lost the game, but this week I thought it was the defense/Wentz. I'm really surprised by the Eagles' defense. They had the good games vs PIT and MIN (who both suck) but otherwise they haven't been good. Schwartz hasn't really been the savior he was touted as

Yeah Wentz really blew this game. Which is fine, he's a rookie. But he just made two boneheaded mistakes early on, and had a couple more poor throws throughout the game. He recovered alright throwing for over 350 yards, but he had a poor game. The thing that's frustrating about Doug is a pattern is emerging where in recent weeks he's actually called alright games, but every game there's been just a few plays where he makes a terrible decision and it overshadows everything.

And I dunno, this defense is definitely improved by Schwartz. Throw out the Bears and Browns games due to weak opponents, and you have them playing poorly against Washington and the Giants, and had an extremely poor 1st half followed by a shutdown 2nd half against the Lions. They did good against the Steelers and Vikings, and for the most part did very well against the Cowboys, but just got exhausted at the end of the game. The lack of CB talent is killing them, and that's compounded by the Eagles DL just not getting home that game. Overall I think Schwartz has improved the defense, but we just need to fill it out more. Suffice to say though, I don't think people will be beating down the door in 2017 for a HC offer

Yeah the defense has definitely been improved this year but they have taken a major step back these last 3 games. Yesterday the DL didnt get pressure and Eli was able to wreck their terrible secondary. I still cant believe that they traded away Rowe. Fine he doesnt fit your scheme, whatever that means. He at least played decent the year before, hold on to him in case of injuries. Their secondary is bad, and it is depleted. That is a really bad combo. Their entire defense now is can the DL get to the QB before he finds a wide open guy to pass to. That is not a good way to play defense. This offseason they are going to have a ton of holes to address, CB, LB, OL, WR, RB. And that is not even including the HC who is looking iffy at best right now.

Zeke

Gotta say I'm pretty jealous of the browns having guy like Pryor. The guy is an athletic freak. Browns definitely have some pieces to build around and I really like Kessler. I think he could be the real deal at qb for the browns.

dionysus

Yaldog
I am just finishing watching the NO-SF game. SF really could have won this game except for those turnovers. Saints defense made Kap look like a pro-bowler in the first half, though they interrupted his rhythm in the second half we blitzes.

Ingram had a redemption game. He usually never breaks free for long runs. Had at least 3 of them, one for a TD today.

bionic77

The Ravens have won four straight against Pittsburgh, and 6 of the last 7.

And the Ravens suck.
Steelers are 5-12 against teams under .500.

If you suck dick and are not from Ohio you will probably beat us.

By the way, worst Ravens/Steelers game in a long ass time. Both teams

gutshot

Yeah the defense has definitely been improved this year but they have taken a major step back these last 3 games. Yesterday the DL didnt get pressure and Eli was able to wreck their terrible secondary. I still cant believe that they traded away Rowe. Fine he doesnt fit your scheme, whatever that means. He at least played decent the year before, hold on to him in case of injuries. Their secondary is bad, and it is depleted. That is a really bad combo. Their entire defense now is can the DL get to the QB before he finds a wide open guy to pass to. That is not a good way to play defense. This offseason they are going to have a ton of holes to address, CB, LB, OL, WR, RB. And that is not even including the HC who is looking iffy at best right now.

I wouldn't call LB and OL holes necessarily. They need depth there and some more young talent but they have decent starters.

They definitely need to upgrade their starters at CB, WR and RB. They can draft a RB and CB and hopefully sign Jeffery at WR.

Jury is still out on Pederson. He's had some great moments and some bad moments. Hopefully he continues to improve, especially his playcalling and in-game decision making.

Hindl

I agree with the holes to address but I think they can make a lot of strides this offseason. A lot of it hinges on getting a FA WR, but if they can do that, then they can grab a RB and CB in the early rounds of the draft, and spend the rest of it stockpiling LB and OL picks for depth, with maybe another CB pick and DL pick sprinkled in. The OL isn't looking as bad as I thought. We could definitely improve there, but I think WR, RB, CB and LB depth are bigger needs in that order. Vaitai is a lot better than I thought he'd be at this point, he might eventually become a serviceable starter. I'm worried about Johnson's transition to LT, and also if his dumbass gets suspended again, but I think unless there is a true OL talent when the Eagles are picking in the early rounds, they could probably wait till the 4th to start addressing OL.

Gotta say I'm pretty jealous of the browns having guy like Pryor. The guy is an athletic freak. Browns definitely have some pieces to build around and I really like Kessler. I think he could be the real deal at qb for the browns.

I think Kessler is at least enough to man the ship for a few years while they get their pieces in place. Pryor and Coleman are looking like a decent receiving corps and Crowell is solid too. If the Browns just fix up that defense and OL a bit then I think they're gonna surprise people.

I wouldn't call LB and OL holes necessarily. They need depth there and some more young talent but they have decent starters.

They definitely need to upgrade their starters at CB, WR and RB. They can draft a RB and CB and hopefully sign Jeffery at WR.

Jury is still out on Pederson. He's had some great moments and some bad moments. Hopefully he continues to improve, especially his playcalling and in-game decision making.

I figure Kendricks is a gonner at LB for sure, so that is at least one spot they need to fil. OL even if Lane makes the move to LT no problem and big V becomes the new RT they reallllllllllllllly need to look to upgrade the center. Kelce is bad and he really hurts the team weekly.

harSon

Banned
Where's harSon to come tell me this loss wasn't on Ben?

I was fortunately out of town on vacation with my girlfriend. We were gearing up to head to a sports bar, but I looked down at my phone to see the offense's stats through a quarter and a half of play - and was like NOPE. It's largely on Ben, but it's definitely short sighted to place blame on him alone. Good Ben play in the past has masked a lot of our deficiencies as a team, and when he's playing horribly - it's pretty easy to see how mediocre of a team this truly is.

Hindl

I figure Kendricks is a gonner at LB for sure, so that is at least one spot they need to fil. OL even if Lane makes the move to LT no problem and big V becomes the new RT they reallllllllllllllly need to look to upgrade the center. Kelce is bad and he really hurts the team weekly.

Agreed with Kendricks, so I think they do need to take a LB, preferably a little later on. I'm hopeful that Seumalo gets looks at center, he's got the right build for it and I think he'll be better there than guard. And he's been taking some practice snaps there. These upcoming games have some good pass rushers in there, so if Big V can do alright against them we should be good. Worried about Lane at LT though. When he's had to fill in for Peters he's looked good, but not the dominant force he is at RT. Hopefully it's just something that takes time adjusting to. But I think they can work Seumalo at center and resign Wisniewski to be a backup C/G while keeping old man Barbre there for one more year.

squicken

During the Vikings 3 game losing streak, the defense has pressured the opposing QB on just 19% of his dropbacks, third lowest in the league during that time frame. Especially as the game worse on, Stafford had all day to throw. And MIN had a play count and TOP advantage until overtime, so it wasn't like the defense was especially gassed. They are just slumping

To be entirely fair to your line, the Eagles generated 11 pressures on 37 pass attempts looking at the stats. That was including a sack. Eli was simply very good moving around the pocket yesterday (something he hasn't been doing well this season up until yesterday). The Eagles blitzed several times as well and Eli just had his way with them on those snaps. Again, something that Eli has been very poor at this year. I mean look at this:

Eli Manning under pressure:
Weeks 1-8: 26th in accuracy (52.5), 59.8 QB rating
Week 9: 4/8 82 yards, 2 TD, 126.0 QB rating

That's been part of the issue with the Giants offense up until now. Completely limited due to pressure, Eli having to release the ball quickly alongside Eli simply not playing as well as he normally does in some of these situations.

To be entirely fair to your line, the Eagles generated 11 pressures on 37 pass attempts. Eli was simply very good moving around the pocket yesterday (something he hasn't been doing well this season up until yesterday). The Eagles blitzed several time and Eli just had his way with them on those snaps. Again, something that Eli has been very poor at this year. I mean look at this:

Eli Manning under pressure:
Weeks 1-8: 26th in accuracy (52.5), 59.8 QB rating
Week 9: 4/8 82 yards, 2 TD, 126.0 QB rating

I guess them just not being able to get home made it seem like they were not pressuring him at all.

Eagles fans we need a how many yards/TDs will Julio have this week pool? I wonder if he will break the all time record for both.

squicken

Prater is 23-of-23 on game-tying or go-ahead field goals in the fourth quarter or overtime in his career per ESPN's stat people. Amazing

cdyhybrid

Go Hawks

Same story for this game as the rest of the season:

1) Is Russell healthy enough to fully run the offense/survive the game?
2) Can we actually run the ball? Will we actually run the ball? Sounds like CJ Prosise might be getting a lot more work this week, maybe he can provide a spark.
3) Can we force a turnover or two? Defense has been on the field a lot the last two weeks.

Another Victory Monday!!!

Miami has the Dolphins
The Greatest Football Team
We take the ball from goal to goal
Like no one's ever seen
We're in the air, we're on the ground
We're always in control
And when you say Miami
You're talking Super Bowl

'Cause we're the...

Miami Dolphins,
Miami Dolphins,
Miami Dolphins Number One.
Yes we're the...
Miami Dolphins,
Miami Dolphins,
Miami Dolphins Number One

If we play the Giants in the playoffs I'm going to have a god damn heart attack. 2007 nearly made me quit on football forever. I'm older and wiser now but still. I might die.

I think Kessler is at least enough to man the ship for a few years while they get their pieces in place. Pryor and Coleman are looking like a decent receiving corps and Crowell is solid too. If the Browns just fix up that defense and OL a bit then I think they're gonna surprise people.
Thanks for putting some respekt on it.

Bread

Banned
the dolphins cycle is real

new head coach -> big offseason -> get hyped for season -> losing streak -> lose faith in tannehill -> winning streak -> barely miss playoffs ->

I guess them just not being able to get home made it seem like they were not pressuring him at all.
Yeah, I think that's part of the issue with the focus just being on sacks or "getting home". The point of a pass rush is to move the quarterback off of his spot. Affect the throw, etc. The Eagles defensive line did that a number of times.

The last series for Wentz is a great example. The Giants defensive line didn't register a sack in that series but Spags went blitz crazy (which I loved) and Carson simply did not react well to it. It completely affected his timing and ability to release the ball when he wanted to. Is it a sack? No. Did it heavily impact the game? Yes. I'd argue it downright won us the game.

Zeke

If we play the Giants in the playoffs I'm going to have a god damn heart attack. 2007 nearly made me quit on football forever. I'm older and wiser now but still. I might die.
NFCEAST has both wildcards right now. Cowboys gotta clinch the division.

Zeke

The division has been nuts this season. Last year it was a trash heap this year everyone is playing for a playoff spot. Just a crazy turn around all around. This should help infuse the division with more hate than usual.

They got that Vikings pick though, which is a big deal.

Yeah the Vikes OL disaster is going to ensure that the pick they give the Eagles is a good one. Man I watched some of that Vikes game and I cant believe how broken that team is. Bradford hit #84, I believe, with a perfect pass right in his hands back of the endzone not a defender in sight and he just dropped it. They cant recover from plays like that.

Edit:Holy shit Mass Effect 2 and 3 just got added to BC. Everyone go play the best co-op mode in anyg ame ever.

Hello everyone

I do too.. let's start by fixing that god awful secondary.

You know you live in an alternate reality when Matt Ryan is considered an elite qb

:/
I mean.. this year.. he kinda of is.. outside of Brady.. who is playing better really?

Zeke

So Dak broke Aikman's rookie td record yesterday. Troy had 10, Dak has 12 and there is still a lot of football left to play. #blessed

squicken

Yeah the Vikes OL disaster is going to ensure that the pick they give the Eagles is a good one. Man I watched some of that Vikes game and I cant believe how broken that team is. Bradford hit #84, I believe, with a perfect pass right in his hands back of the endzone not a defender in sight and he just dropped it. They cant recover from plays like that.

OL was mostly fine yesterday, at least wrt pass protection, though it was all quick passes. They still scored on the drive where Patterson dropped that pass. But they can't run the ball and won't be able to all year. Next 3 games are WAS, AZ and DET so that should pretty much be the end of them

Top Bottom