• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 9 |OT| - This. is. the. GPODAWUND

Actually I think a team that's 9-7 will make the wild card in the NFC. Maybe even both teams.

10-6 is a bit of a stretch when you see that the current NFC wildcard teams - Giants and Redskins - are 5-3 and 4-3 respectively. All the other teams have 4 losses or worse.

That all says a lot more about the quality of play right now than anything.

It's conceivable to me that the Giants or Redskins could have the same record as the Eagles at the end of the season, but the Eagles have lost every division game so far so they'd lose all tie breakers. Either way the Eagles wouldn't make it even at 9-7 if those two teams are comparable. All said though, even though the Eagles are slumping hard, it's not as if they are really getting destroyed out there.

NFC East going from one of the worst in the NFC to the best in the NFC is a pleasant surprise though. The division games have been great games.

bionic77

Yeah. It's been three weeks since he was outclassed by Ryan fucking Tannehill.
We got pushed around in that game on both sides of the ball. That was not on Ben.

It is hard to beat any team when they can run all over your face. Most qb's will find success when the back is getting like 8 yards a carry.

Yesterday Ben was off the charts bad for the first 50 minutes. It fit that game because everyone down to the coaches was horrible. To think he could have tied the game except for that inexcusable effort on the punt.

I was fortunately out of town on vacation with my girlfriend. We were gearing up to head to a sports bar, but I looked down at my phone to see the offense's stats through a quarter and a half of play - and was like NOPE. It's largely on Ben, but it's definitely short sighted to place blame on him alone. Good Ben play in the past has masked a lot of our deficiencies as a team, and when he's playing horribly - it's pretty easy to see how mediocre of a team this truly is.

I don't believe that. The defense is mediocre, with few pass rushers and rookies at key positions in the secondary. The team overall can be good.

The big problem is Ben. Simply put, we need continuity. Season always hits the skids when Ben gets injured. All of Steelers Age knew this game was going in the toilet because Ben is a continuity guy and he always stinks his first game back from injury.

We need a 16 game season from Ben. The team is gonna get injuries, it's football - but when the starter misses games the team is hampered severely, even if the backups win when he's out..

Hindl

Regarding Doug Pederson's playcalling: It's easy to get upset at him for leaving points on the table, but a week ago people were saying he wasn't aggressive enough. The one thing I have seen from Pederson that I like and that makes him so much more appealing than Chip or Andy is that he's been willing to completely change his approach to games. Last week it was all short passes and conservative calling, this week it included a ton of long passes and extremely aggressive calling. As a rookie head coach he's still getting acclimated to what will and will not work, but unlike Chip's approach of "keep doing it until it works" his approach has been "if it doesn't work try something wholly different." That's a much more healthy way to approach planning a game and the different looks and experiences he's getting are only going to make him better off in the future. I'm still in full approval of his approach because I'd rather see a coach make mistakes and adjust than make mistakes and repeat.

Agreed with pretty much everything but this in particular was true for me. I was mad at Doug during the game, but looking back he at least called a completely different game than Dallas. It's still his first year as a coach and he's still feeling things out and seeing what works and doesn't. It sucks that he's been making these mistakes, but I'd rather him learn it now. It's frustrating because like you said, in each of the last two games if he had just made the right call we'd be sitting at 6-2 (Lions game was on Mathews). Hopefully he continues to grow.

I'm not as sold on the RBs, I think Smallwood is talented but he can be groomed into a scat back type role. The more I look at our RBs, I think we need to invest in one of the bruisers for next year, and roll with them as our bellcow and Smallwood as the changeup as Sproles/Mathews/Barner age out and get cut. Agree on WRs though, we still need to target one in FA, but replace Agholor with Treggs, he brings nothing unique to the table vs Treggs' speed, DGB's size and Matthews talent. It was also nice to see Trey Burton and Ertz get involved again. If they figure it out they could get back to the beginning of the year when the offense was competent, which should be good enough to build on.

No idea but his gun skills are on point.
Now I know why he was such a good gunner

BigAT

Wait, so the Bucs released Austin Seferian-Jenkins after his DUI arrest, but signed Josh Huff after his DUI/unlicensed gun/hollow-point bullet arrest?

Wait, so the Bucs released Austin Seferian-Jenkins after his DUI arrest, but signed Josh Huff after his DUI/unlicensed gun/hollow-point bullet arrest?

Huff's gun was licensed in Texas, and the hollow points only matter because he was arrested on the NJ side of the bridge. If he had been arrested on the Philly side it would have just been a DUI. I am guessing the Bucs are willing to look the other way because Huff is such an explosive talent.

Huff's gun was licensed in Texas, and the hollow points only matter because he was arrested on the NJ side of the bridge. If he had been arrested on the Philly side it would have just been a DUI. I am guessing the Bucs are willing to look the other way because Huff is such an explosive talent.

Are they going to look the other way when he's in prison? Each hollowpoint has a mandatory minimum sentence in Jersey, and that's on top of the gun charge, the DUI charge, and the possession charge. I don't see how he gets out of it without serving time with how strict NJ laws are with guns.

BigAT

Are they going to look the other way when he's in prison? Each hollowpoint has a mandatory minimum sentence in Jersey, and that's on top of the gun charge, the DUI charge, and the possession charge. I don't see how he gets out of it without serving time with how strict NJ laws are with guns.

^

I'm no lawyer, but unless Bionic tells me otherwise I don't think "but it's legal someplace else!" is typically a good defense at trial.

Just spent the best part of half an hour digging out my old xbox 360 to find my Mass Effect saves, only to discover that they weren't on there.

So I then had to find my launch 360 and plug that in.

Only it uses a different power supply, so I then had to rummage through some old boxes to find the correct power brick and cable.

Then I had to put up the unholy jet engine roar of an 11 year old console as I transferred my old game saves over to my memory stick, which I then plugged into my brother's 360 that has wi-fi connectivity so I could finally upload them all to the cloud.

Worth it.

Farooq

Banned
During the Vikings 3 game losing streak, the defense has pressured the opposing QB on just 19% of his dropbacks, third lowest in the league during that time frame. Especially as the game worse on, Stafford had all day to throw. And MIN had a play count and TOP advantage until overtime, so it wasn't like the defense was especially gassed. They are just slumping

Do you have an idea why they are slumping? That fucking d-line is so stacked.

Of course not. The Bucs are in a desperate situation so I guess they just figured get what they can out of him this year, and maybe they get lucky and he reaches a ple deal or something. He is fucked since he got caught in Jersey, it is just weird that if he had been on the Philly side of the bridge it would have been no big deal.

Bitanator

These next two games for the Cowboys will test how well their depth can play, will be extremely tough. I don't know how many more obstacles they have to jump through to prove they are legit or how many more obstacles Dak has to jump through to prove he belongs in the league. If Dallas beats the next two opponents I will have no more doubts about the team even if we pull an annual stinker to the Redskins on Thanksgiving

Eagles had 18 rushes to 47 passes yesterday.Smallwood had 2 carries for 25 yards and then never saw the field again. That was the most Andy Reid play calling you will ever see. I know that doug doesnt handle the running back rotation but someone needs to talk to Duce. I feel like he does a terrible job getting everyone touches, and he routinely goes away from the hot hand.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They played from behind the entire game, so you're going to have a throw imbalance there unless the team you're facing literally cannot stop the run no matter what.

Of course not. The Bucs are in a desperate situation so I guess they just figured get what they can out of him this year, and maybe they get lucky and he reaches a ple deal or something. He is fucked since he got caught in Jersey, it is just weird that if he had been on the Philly side of the bridge it would have been no big deal.

Yup, NJ gun laws are pretty dumb that's for sure. Honestly think it's an example of a case where the gun laws hurt innocent people more than guilty. A few years ago there was this single mom from South Philly who bought a gun after being robbed and beaten twice while she was working (she did house calls to do blood draws or something like that). She got pulled over on her way to Atlantic City and let the officer know she had a gun. She spent 40 days in jail before she could make bail and then she faced 5 years prison time. They wouldn't let her into the diversionary pre-trail program to avoid the jail time. She got lucky because Christie pardoned her. They were about to lock up a hard working single mother of two for five years for lawfully owning a gun, just because she didn't know the esoteric gun laws. There was also the Brian Aitken mess in NJ which was just a travesty of the justice system.

squicken

Do you have an idea why they are slumping? That fucking d-line is so stacked.

Against PHI and DET, Wentz and Stafford both had INTs as a rsult of pressure. But Philly got ahead and ran the ball well, negating the pass rush. CHI they were just bad. Got the ball jammed down their throats all game. vs DET is where it was really strange. DET was 7/14 on 3rd down and 4/4 in OT. There was just no pressure in key moments.

DET had just over 200 yards before the final 4Q drive. It is one of the worst losses I have ever seen a team take. Zimmer choked really hard. Bad coaching

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
temp11062016StavinSmith7886--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

temp11062016StavinSmith7855--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

temp11062016StavinSmith9106--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

What a win. Have a bye week this Sunday with Jacksonville at home the following Sunday. 3 of our next 4 games are at home.

The bye week means we get Darius Slay back from his hamstring injury and hopefully DeAndre Levy. *Phew*

Farooq

Banned
These next two games for the Cowboys will test how well their depth can play, will be extremely tough. I don't know how many more obstacles they have to jump through to prove they are legit or how many more obstacles Dak has to jump through to prove he belongs in the league. If Dallas beats the next two opponents I will have no more doubts about the team even if we pull an annual stinker to the Redskins on Thanksgiving

It is kinda unreal how the depth has tested at nearly every position. QB, OG, OT, WR, RB(McFadden), DL, CB, S. Cowboys lost starters at almost every unit. Kudos to McClay and the coaching staff.

Speaking of coaching staff. Jason Garrett, the dude can draft offense. His Dad is a scout, his brother is a scout, scouting is just in his blood. I think this team is fine as long as Garrett has say on offensive personnel. Like the only terrible top 100 offensive pick in the Garrett era is Escobar, and Escobar is probably going to light it up like Marty B once he is on roster that doesn't have a Witten.

Eagles had 18 rushes to 47 passes yesterday.Smallwood had 2 carries for 25 yards and then never saw the field again. That was the most Andy Reid play calling you will ever see. I know that doug doesnt handle the running back rotation but someone needs to talk to Duce. I feel like he does a terrible job getting everyone touches, and he routinely goes away from the hot hand.

I'm loading up the Mass Effect multiplayer right now, where are you? :(

Pepiope

Tends to happen when you go down 14 points within the first 6 minutes of the game.

Tends to happen when you go down 14 points within the first 6 minutes of the game.

Why? There was still a ton of time left, no need to just go pass crazy every down, especially when the rush was working.

Edit: Boban man I wish I was home to play it right now.

Jarnet87

One is a talentless oaf who is always Injured, the other is.... well he isn't a talentless oaf

Zeke

This will never end this season so don't expect it to. Haters will always find an excuse. First it was he hasn't thrown any td's, he hasn't had a come from behind win, he doesn't throw down field, he's got a great line, zeke makes him better, he hasn't thrown multiple td's in a game, they haven't beaten anyone, their defense is suspect, on and on and on it never ends. The "they haven't beaten anyone" line is getting super annoying. Who on their remaining schedule is a legit threat that will make people shut up? Steelers, ravens, vikes, lions, bucs or any of the remaining division rivals? I say fuck it keep downplaying them and let that help motivate the team.

MechDX

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 30m30 minutes ago
Even after getting hit by Mark Barron on Sun, Cam Newton has not seen a roughing-the-passer penalty enforced vs. his opposing D since 2014.

Just amazing. I support Cam in this.

Tom Penny

This will never end this season so don't expect it to. Haters will always find an excuse. First it was he hasn't thrown any td's, he hasn't had a come from behind win, he doesn't throw down field, he's got a great line, zeke makes him better, he hasn't thrown multiple td's in a game, they haven't beaten anyone, their defense is suspect, on and on and on it never ends. The "they haven't beaten anyone" line is getting super annoying. Who on their remaining schedule is a legit threat that will make people shut up? Steelers, ravens, vikes, lions, bucs or any of the remaining division rivals? I say fuck it keep downplaying them and let that help motivate the team.
Skip Bayless thinks Dallas is a dynasty and that's all that really matters.

MechDX

Yeah don't know why Schefter mentioned that hit but come on! No roughing calls since 2014?

I have seen him take some brutal cheap shots this year alone.

Tom Penny

Yeah don't know why Schefter mentioned that hit but come on! No roughing calls since 2014?

I have seen him take some brutal cheap shots this year alone.
I'm pretty sure he's gotten the most calls since he's been in the league. That being said the opener against Denver was a fucking travesty.

Sephzilla

Newton takes some shots that should get flagged (see: the Denver game). But Newton's also a mobile running quarterback who also doesn't really know how to protect himself. Some of the stuff he's complaining about is completely on him.

http://i.imgur.com/fW23C0c.gif[/img

This should have been a flag[/QUOTE]

If that's a flag, lets just ban rushing the QB because there is no point. The game is way too fast for players to align their bodies to make sure they perfectly hit a guy.

Spearing a guy in the head is one thing, hitting face mask to face mask while jumping up with both hands in the air is another.

Top Bottom