• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 9 |OT| - This. is. the. GPODAWUND

Isn't romo back next week?
He's not coming back unless Dak has a huge meltdown and that doesn't seem to be happening at the moment.

They are in a good spot and they shouldnt rush to give Dak the hook just to the plug tony in. The longer Tony sits, the better. Make sure his back is as healthy as is medically possible for him.. they don't need to make the same mistake as last year since they have decent QB play and a bellcow RB to help them.

I still don't get this need to pull Dak immediately just to plug in Tony.. They did that last year and look what happened.

I have a hard time believing this when Jerruh is the one in charge. He's not going to keep his $100+ million man on the bench.
Jerruh has pissed away more money and he doesn't give a damn as long as they are winning. I don't see them pulling Dak because of that

bionic77

I was fortunately out of town on vacation with my girlfriend. We were gearing up to head to a sports bar, but I looked down at my phone to see the offense's stats through a quarter and a half of play - and was like NOPE. It's largely on Ben, but it's definitely short sighted to place blame on him alone. Good Ben play in the past has masked a lot of our deficiencies as a team, and when he's playing horribly - it's pretty easy to see how mediocre of a team this truly is.
Ben has not played that badly for a long time.

But we know he always come back a week too early and these games are always ugly.

Weirdly he caught fire in the last 10 minutes and almost made it a game. It was very weird because he was missing everything badly for the first 50 minutes. He was not seeing the field and when he did make the throw it was horribly inaccurate. Then all of a sudden in the last 10 minutes he just Hulks and starts throwing darts (he was throwing puff balls before that). Coaches seemed to know he was garbage because we were really trying to establish the run when it was obviously the Raven were selling out to stop it.

As much as Ben sucked so did everyone else on the team outside of the defense (who played well except for that missed tackle on Wallace). The amount of penalties and unforced errors we had was amazing. The same was true of the Ravens. And we were coming off a bye. We were totally unprepared and even Browns fans would have been angry at the product we put on the field for the first 50 minutes. It was the worst Ravens/Steelers game that has probably ever been played.

Tomlin better be chewing into everybody's ass this week. That was a disgrace of a game.

Zeke

I have a hard time believing this when Jerruh is the one in charge. He's not going to keep his $100+ million man on the bench.
Jerry isn't calling many shots anymore Stephen Jones has taken control of personnel. There's a reason why cowboys have drafted so well and Johnny football didn't get picked up by Dallas.

Spinluck

Steelers are 5-12 against teams under .500.

If you suck dick and are not from Ohio you will probably beat us.

By the way, worst Ravens/Steelers game in a long ass time. Both teams

looking forward to the rematch friend!

how's that secondary looking? pass rush?

bionic77

looking forward to the rematch friend!

how's that secondary looking? pass rush?
They looked decent against the Ravens, but I think that is because it was the Ravens.

A real test of our defense is going to come against Dallas. We are healthy now so no more excuses. Time to put up or shut up.

I think we win because of how desperate we are. Hopefully good Ben shows up to the game...

Congrats on beating the Packers! As a Lakers fan I know how good it feels to see your team dominate!

squicken

Randall Liu ‏@RLiuNFL
Landon Collins is the only player in the NFL this season to lead his team in tackles (69), INTs (3) & sacks (3)

Well that's encouraging

I am really curious why it took so long to get him up. He is the only WR on the team now with any speed. Thank goodness that he was on their practice squad and no one else stole him. Hopefully the CB CJ Smith gets on the field soon as well.

WedgeX

Banned
Randall Liu ‏@RLiuNFL
Landon Collins is the only player in the NFL this season to lead his team in tackles (69), INTs (3) & sacks (3)

He's been pretty awesome to watch when the Giants have been visible here.

Its unfortunate that I've put him on my fantasy team. Like every other defensive player I've had this year he will suffer some type of three-to-season-ending injury.

Hindl

I am really curious why it took so long to get him up. He is the only WR on the team now with any speed. Thank goodness that he was on their practice squad and no one else stole him. Hopefully the CB CJ Smith gets on the field soon as well.

I feel like it's the pedigree thing. For me, no question Treggs should be taking all of Agholor's snaps. Agholor doesn't offer speed, he doesn't offer the size that DGB and Matthews have, and he doesn't fight for balls or have particularly good route running. But since he's a 1st round pick he's been getting more looks. But in his first start, with two targets, Treggs surpassed Agholor for yards in a single game. Agholor has done nothing to deserve his reps, and you could see how the offense opened up more against the Giants once Treggs got that massive 60 yard gain. Hopefully they go with what works.

Line_HTX

Go Hawks

Same story for this game as the rest of the season:

1) Is Russell healthy enough to fully run the offense/survive the game?
2) Can we actually run the ball? Will we actually run the ball? Sounds like CJ Prosise might be getting a lot more work this week, maybe he can provide a spark.
3) Can we force a turnover or two? Defense has been on the field a lot the last two weeks.

Yes. No reason to worry about his knee and pectoral.

Wow great news everyone. All 3 Mass Effect games were added to EA Access today, and you can download digital version of the Mass Effect games you just have to have EA Access. Man I am going to play so much ME3 co-op now.

Spinluck

They looked decent against the Ravens, but I think that is because it was the Ravens.

A real test of our defense is going to come against Dallas. We are healthy now so no more excuses. Time to put up or shut up.

I think we win because of how desperate we are. Hopefully good Ben shows up to the game...

Congrats on beating the Packers! As a Lakers fan I know how good it feels to see your team dominate!

Didn't expect to beat the Packers at home, I'm not gonna act like they're even a good team but a win is a win.

Frauders was missing open guys and our defense still got clowned towards the end of the game. They don't have a run game, and their secondary is joke tier. If Luck doesn't convert those two 3rd downs we probably lose.

Assuming the team is healthy when they meet us, Ben will drop 5TDs.

Amazing Eagles stat: The eagles had 5 plays of over 30 yards against the Giants. They had 1 in their last 242 plays before that. Crazy what a difference a speedy WR had. I really hope we will see a different style of offense going forward.

‏@art_stapleton 7m7 minutes ago
Ben McAdoo says Justin Pugh has a knee sprain and will "miss a little bit of time."
Sounds like Pugh, #Giants may have gotten lucky.

Hopefully not a lot of time but hopefully Jones keeps up his play from yesterday

Unless the Cowboys lose a game or two in a row AND Dak plays terribly in those losses, I can't see even Jerry being able to save his boy Romo. There would just be too much backlash even for him.

Mindlog

Bucs RB Antone Smith and DE Howard knee injuries are both likely season ending.

And they signed Huff.

End Football please.

Wow great news everyone. All 3 Mass Effect games were added to EA Access today, and you can download digital version of the Mass Effect games you just have to have EA Access. Man I am going to play so much ME3 co-op now.
I don't think I opened ME2 yet. I tried playing Brink but no thanks.

Bitanator

Florio said today that he is hearing that they want Dax to play against the Steelers and then make a judgement after that game. He thinks if Dax wins it and plays well that he will be named to starter for the rest of the year.

*Dak

not Dax

MV5BOTQ5Mzg5OTg5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI2MjA0OQ@@._V1_UY317_CR7,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

You know after yesterday I was pretty down on the Eagles thinking they are at best an 8-8 team for the season, but I was thinking about it some more and they were really only OUT of one game so far all season, and that was against Washington. Every game they lost was close and winnable, or was a win that got wiped out by something bone headed. The Lions game was a likely win if not for the fumble. The Cowboys game was a likely win if we kicked a field goal. The Giants game was a win if Agholor could catch or if Doug doesn't call two 4th and shorts and takes the points. They are at 4-4 now, but it could nearly as easily have been 6-2 or 7-1. They've stayed in pretty much every game. The fact that Wentz threw two INTs and Doug made bad playcalls twice going for it on 4th and the the Eagles were still in the redzone to win it at the end of that game shows something at the very least. If the next eight go 95% the same as the last eight, except they get the lucky breaks and the close games fall the other way it's still possible to hit 10-6 for the season. I don't think that's enough to get the playoffs, but it's certainly much better than I expected them to do on the season.

Regarding Doug Pederson's playcalling: It's easy to get upset at him for leaving points on the table, but a week ago people were saying he wasn't aggressive enough. The one thing I have seen from Pederson that I like and that makes him so much more appealing than Chip or Andy is that he's been willing to completely change his approach to games. Last week it was all short passes and conservative calling, this week it included a ton of long passes and extremely aggressive calling. As a rookie head coach he's still getting acclimated to what will and will not work, but unlike Chip's approach of "keep doing it until it works" his approach has been "if it doesn't work try something wholly different." That's a much more healthy way to approach planning a game and the different looks and experiences he's getting are only going to make him better off in the future. I'm still in full approval of his approach because I'd rather see a coach make mistakes and adjust than make mistakes and repeat.

I'm fine with the team not using Mathews as the primary back, but I think they should give Smallwood more looks. He's young, shows promise, and a powerful running back is still needed. Bryce Treggs is fast. He got 4 targets and caught 2 for huge gains. The biggest problem is that he and Wentz are obviously not comfortable with each other yet. Wentz under threw every ball to Treggs, and it seemed like he kept underestimating his speed. If they get to keep working together and get the timings worked out it will be nice to have a real deep threat receiver again. I see no reason not to start Treggs over Agholor at this point. In fact, I might move Jordan Matthews back to the slot, and keep DGB and Treggs outside with Agholor as the 4th WR. DGB on one side with the size matchup, Treggs as a deep threat, and Matthews as a mismatch in the slot makes a shitload of sense to me. Especially if you can get Ertz or Burton in the middle of the field as well. It finally feels like the Eagles could have a multi-level passing game.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
BG's real name is Chris Kirskey.

Last week, Browns linebacker Chris Kirskey put on a brave face and declared the the Browns would go 8-0 the rest of the way. This week, he promised the Browns will win at some point this season.

"We're not going to go 0-16,'' he said after Sunday's 35-10 loss to the Cowboys. "That's for a fact. We're not doing that. Things are going to get on a roll, and we've just got to keep fighting."

Is that motivation, that you don't want to be that team? The 2008 Lions were the only NFL team to go 0-16.

"That's motivation,'' he said. "I don't know if I'm supposed to say this, but we're not going winless. We're not."

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You know after yesterday I was pretty down on the Eagles thinking they are at best an 8-8 team for the season, but I was thinking about it some more and they were really only OUT of one game so far all season, and that was against Washington. Every game they lost was close and winnable, or was a win that got wiped out by something bone headed. The Lions game was a likely win if not for the fumble. The Cowboys game was a likely win if we kicked a field goal. The Giants game was a win if Agholor could catch or if Doug doesn't call two 4th and shorts and takes the points. They are at 4-4 now, but it could nearly as easily have been 6-2 or 7-1. They've stayed in pretty much every game. The fact that Wentz threw two INTs and Doug made bad playcalls twice going for it on 4th and the the Eagles were still in the redzone to win it at the end of that game shows something at the very least. If the next eight go 95% the same as the last eight, except they get the lucky breaks and the close games fall the other way it's still possible to hit 10-6 for the season. I don't think that's enough to get the playoffs, but it's certainly much better than I expected them to do on the season.

Actually I think a team that's 9-7 will make the wild card in the NFC. Maybe even both teams.

10-6 is a bit of a stretch when you see that the current NFC wildcard teams - Giants and Redskins - are 5-3 and 4-3 respectively. All the other teams have 4 losses or worse.

That all says a lot more about the quality of play right now than anything.

Top Bottom