• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know what to say this morning.

I had been listening to Atlanta sports radio every day on the way to and from work over the previous two weeks, watched and read every Super Bowl-related thing I could get my hands on, just doing everything I could to soak it in. I got my schedule changed so that I could be off from work for the Super Bowl, then I worked a night shift (8pm-8am) in the ICU the night before the Super Bowl, then drove straight from the hospital to the airport in the morning and flew down to Atlanta to watch the game with my family. I was dead tired, but excited as hell at the same time to have this opportunity, and I wasn't going to miss it.

But that loss last night was the most Atlanta thing ever. Even when we were up 28-3 and some people at our Super Bowl party were proclaiming the game over, I didn't assume anything and kept my emotions in check because I know better as an Atlanta sports fan. Hell, that's a big reason why I rarely post during games.

I'm just completely spent. I've been through so many disappointments as an Atlanta sports fan over the years, but this is easily the saddest moment of all. The car ride back home was absolutely miserable. The Falcons hosts on the radio sounded like they were on the verge of tears.

This is going to hurt for a long long time.
Sorry man.

Pepiope

I do hope this Super Bowl finally gets the NFL to do away with the current format for over time though and adopt something closer to college. The MVP of the league never getting to set foot on the field in OT of the biggest game of the year is kind of unacceptable and both teams should be able to get their offense and defense onto the field at least once.
Records would be easily broken with college style OT, but they do need to implement it in the NFL. A coin toss shouldn't be the biggest factor in a NFL OT game.

Sephzilla

Records would be easily broken with college style OT, but they do need to implement it in the NFL. A coin toss shouldn't be the biggest factor in a NFL OT game.

I wouldn't do a direct copy/paste of what college does, but at least something that guarantees both offenses and defenses see the field.

Or optionally, take sudden death away from overtime and make it an extra quarter of football similar to what basketball does for overtime.

Tom Penny

I do hope this Super Bowl finally gets the NFL to do away with the current format for over time though and adopt something closer to college. The MVP of the league never getting to set foot on the field in OT of the biggest game of the year is kind of unacceptable and both teams should be able to get their offense and defense onto the field at least once.

It's the only SB to ever go to OT. They ain't changing shit.

Slo

I had been listening to Atlanta sports radio every day on the way to and from work over the previous two weeks, watched and read every Super Bowl-related thing I could get my hands on, just doing everything I could to soak it in. I got my schedule changed so that I could be off from work for the Super Bowl, then I worked a night shift (8pm-8am) in the ICU the night before the Super Bowl, then drove straight from the hospital to the airport in the morning and flew down to Atlanta to watch the game with my family. I was dead tired, but excited as hell at the same time to have this opportunity, and I wasn't going to miss it.

But that loss last night was the most Atlanta thing ever. Even when we were up 28-3 and some people at our Super Bowl party were proclaiming the game over, I didn't assume anything and kept my emotions in check because I know better as an Atlanta sports fan. Hell, that's a big reason why I rarely post during games.

I'm just completely spent. I've been through so many disappointments as an Atlanta sports fan over the years, but this is easily the saddest moment of all. The car ride back home was absolutely miserable. The Falcons hosts on the radio sounded like they were on the verge of tears.

Sorry dude. Gotta feel gutted.

WedgeX

Banned

Sorry man.

The most uniting feeling in sports is grief...It's the cruelest mistress of all when it comes to entertainment. I'm sorry friend, being on your end during two SBs, I know it fucking sucks dick. I still can't watch anything related to the two EliBowls.

gutshot

I turned the game off in the 4th when it was 28-9 to finish up S1 of Stranger Things (I said goddamn); figured it was just pretty much over. What an epic choke by Atlanta.

foppy79

We all got you man. We all got you. :')

Sephzilla

Half of 1 percent of people complaining about OT...the rest of the world talking about witnessing the the greatest SB comeback and game ever...

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Pats, just to be clear, because that comeback was fucking nuts. But the OT rules still suck

Had a good long discussion at the office this morning. It was basically the most Falcons thing that could have possibly happened.
Being brought to the highest heights only to be dropped to the absolute nadir will leave a scar for a long time.
I can only hope opening the new house will feed some energy back in, but it's going to take some time before Atlanta will be ready.
You know, to fight the urge to constantly think that when the lights are their brightest, the Falcons can't finish.
The healing will come, but we're going to have to collectively fight the urge to be despondent.

I'm there with you bro. Nothing but love.

PeterGAF

Banned

It's the worst feeling. 18-1 still hurts. It never really goes away, you just learn to accept it and live with it.

I didn't wear any Pats shirts or anything referencing football for like 6 months after that loss. I was genuinely embarrassed.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I know that feel. It's rough man, but you're stronger than me. I flat out stopped listening to the radio and stopped reading any sports related anything for like 2 weeks.

jmdajr

Tough deal man. I'd be in tears if it was my team.

Stupid sports.

I'm very sorry. If I was a Falcons fan, I'd no longer take them seriously after losing a big game like that.

It's just embarrassing.

BigAT

Shoutouts to RBH, DCX, tmdorsey and anyone else I'm forgetting. That was pretty devastating and I didn't even have a real horse involved. I give Atlanta shit for being a crummy sports town, and it kind of is, but those guys are all legit and I hate to imagine what they're going through right now.

I think that's just about a wrap on things folks. Not really sure what there is left to do but turn out the lights and end this farce. Human decency is officially dead.

There's no coming back from this one, not even the Switch can save us now. Be sure to hug your loved ones, while you still have them.

Ron Mexico

I know I've barely posted in here, but I've been a fan since the old Tecmo Super Bowl days where Chris Miller to Shawn Collins (especially if he was in Good or higher) was my favorite go to. Keep Andre Rison, I'll throw to 85 over and over again.

My life has changed over and over again since 1991 but the one thing that always stuck with me since I was a 5th grader with my notebook of TSB stats was that every Sunday I would look forward to watching my Falcons play.

I was there in 1998 when Eugene Robinson thought it was a better idea to pick up a hooker than prepare for the most important game of his life. I suffered through Bobby Hebert, Billy Jo Tolliver, Jeff George, Joey Fucking Harrington, all of them. Jim Mora, Bobby Petrino, June Jones. The enigma that was Ron Mex...I mean...Michael Vick.

Last night, my phone was going nuts. Coworkers, family, you name it all with the congratulations to which I said "not yet". My SB party sounded like yours--sure I was up and yelling during the pick-6. That Julio catch was pure art. But I too never let my emotions get the best of me. There was still too much time. By the time of the fumble, I knew it was over-- that's just how we're conditioned as Falcons fans. I can't say I was even surprised when the 2nd 2-pt conversion happened. The rest of the room was afraid to look at me. They hadn't seen anything like it. For us, it's just another new and creative way to lose.

I drove home last night in silence. I don't think I slept for more than an hour. This one's going to hurt, I agree. But I'll still always be a fan and somewhere in my garage, packed away after how many moves, that notebook from 1991 still exists.

Maybe the 'league mvp' should've put some points on the board in the 2nd half? It's hard to treat this game as a call to action when it wouldn't have changed the outcome.

I do think that the nfl going offense heavy breaks sudden death ot in a fundamental way -- field position needs to matter for sudden death to work properly -- but changing ot is a bandaid for a bandaid. The fix is to slow down these offenses.

PeterGAF

Banned
I'm struggling to see who I'd replace with the 16 Pats there. I think top 10 is a pretty safe bet though
I don't even think the '16 Pats is the best Pats team, at least not on paper. Which is insane because none of those other Pats teams did anything like this.

Maybe the best Pats offense though with a healthy Gronk

Hindl

Yeah I don't think they're the best ever but I think they are the best Patriots team ever.

I could see that. At the very least they're the most balanced team. The early 00s SBs Brady was a game manager with an elite defense, while in the later years he was carrying a bad defense and generally beat up/injured players

Amazing how little time the Falcons offense took off the clock in that fourth quarter. They would have been better off draining the clock with 3 straight running plays on each drive.
They would have won easily if they had done just that. That is the crazy thing about this game. I wonder if the 9ers are getting some buyer's remorse today. Shanny was totally clueless at the end of the game.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Ugh I'm getting triggered and remembering that game 7 collapse with these Falcons fans sharing what they were doing.

A hug for all of you.

Sorry RBH :(
Shit stings and then it stings again
Can't imagine being up 28-3 and losing

18-1 , WELKER wrecked me from watching ESPN and other sports stuff for months

Shoutouts to RBH, DCX, tmdorsey and anyone else I'm forgetting. That was pretty devastating and I didn't even have a real horse involved. I give Atlanta shit for being a crummy sports town, and it kind of is, but those guys are all legit and I hate to imagine what they're going through right now.

I think that's just about a wrap on things folks. Not really sure what there is left to do but turn out the lights and end this farce. Human decency is officially dead.

There's no coming back from this one, not even the Switch can save us now. Be sure to hug your loved ones, while you still have them.
giphy.gif

When it hits you the kid you've been working with in class is a straight fool 🤔🤔
*i've made a huge mistake
Fool how?

Ron Mexico

Let's talk about the Top 10 teams that DIDN'T win the SB.

I know it's a shitty memory for Vikings fans, but that Gary Anderson missed FG in '98.

I'm not sure they would have beaten Denver but it would have been way more of a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom