• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
I'm excited for Crackdown. Hopefully there is some co-op

Also Sony hype machine can also get out of control. Remember The Order, SFV and No Man Sky

Tom Nook

DAT Switch HYPE!
GU1ge2W.gif

It's not about sales. It's about the fact that Xbox is transitioning to a brand instead of a console. Put it this way. If you have a PC, there's almost no reason to have an Xbox. Whereas if you have a PC, PS4 has finally hit its stride where it has exclusives you can't play anywhere else. For Xbox that's Halo and not much else unless you really like EA games
PC doesnt interest me at all so I dont care what games are or are not on it.

One of the videos that they used to show off the crazy destruction already showed people playing co-op so it will definitely be co-op. Crackdown was built on being of the best co-op games ever, no way would they go back on that now.

Hindl

Also Sony hype machine can also get out of control. Remember The Order.

I was very critical of Sony despite having a PS4 until about last year, so I'm giving them credit where credit is due.

Also, I'm REALLY curious to see how Crackdown turns out. When they first announced it, they were talking about how a lot of the physics and world calculations were being offloaded to the cloud (remember that?). Obviously the cloud stuff has gone out the window. That all points to Crackdown being re-revealed as the big Scorpio launch game to show off how powerful it is. But then does the OG XB1 suffer because of it? Because when they initially talked about Crackdown, they were basically saying it wouldn't be possible on a stand-alone XB1 without the cloud

I hope that they do keep some of the stuff from the 2nd game. I am worried that the 2nd game not doing well will send the wrong message. I liked some of the huge boss battles, and the moving orbs could be an interesting idea going forward. Little Big Planet did some interesting stuff with having stickers that you needed 2, 3, or 4 players to get. I hope Crackdown does some stuff like that as well.

bionic77

PC doesnt interest me at all so I dont care what games are or are not on it.
What is the difference between a Xbox One and a dedicated gaming PC at this point? They play the same games and have pretty much the same hardware.

I think you could say the same with the PS4 as well, the only difference is Sony has a handful of exclusives that are not possible to get on the PC.

Duxxy3

It's not about sales. It's about the fact that Xbox is transitioning to a brand instead of a console. Put it this way. If you have a PC, there's almost no reason to have an Xbox. Whereas if you have a PC, PS4 has finally hit its stride where it has exclusives you can't play anywhere else. For Xbox that's Halo and not much else unless you really like EA games

I have a 980ti powered PC, an XB1 and a PS4.

I use my XB1 the most. PS4 get crossed off on multiplats because of its controller. PS4 exclusives I, obviously, get on PS4 (the controller still sucks). PC... there's a lot that varies there. Is it a competitive online game? Then XB1 because I don't want to play against KB/M users. How well optimized is the game? How much does it cost? PC has to cost considerably less because of my next question. What is the likelihood that I would want to resell the game, or loan to friends?

TLDR: XB1 default because the DS4 is poop, and not PC for a variety of reasons.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
What is the difference between a Xbox One and a dedicated gaming PC at this point? They play the same games and have pretty much the same hardware.

I think you could say the same with the PS4 as well, the only difference is Sony has a handful of exclusives that are not possible to get on the PC.

"Comfy couch", "UI" , and other things that haven't been a factor in PC gaming for several years now. I don't understand the resistance by console gamers other than I guess they prefer their walled gardens.

bionic77

"Comfy couch", "UI" , and other things that haven't been a factor in PC gaming for several years now. I don't understand the resistance by console gamers other than I guess they prefer their walled gardens.
But you can easily play your PC games on the couch now and with the same controller as on the Xbox and even PS. The One did have some real differences with Kinect and the ability to snap and control your PC at first but they killed that so now it is just games that you can play on your PC.

People can buy what they want but the main advantage the Xbox has over the PC at this point is cost of entry. Beyond that it seems way smarter to get a PC if you don't care about PS exclusives.

At least that is how I see it.

Hindl

I have a 980ti powered PC, an XB1 and a PS4.

I use my XB1 the most. PS4 get crossed off on multiplats because of its controller. PS4 exclusives I, obviously get on PS4 (the controller still sucks). PC... there's a lot that varies there. Is it a competitive online game? Then XB1 because I don't want to play against KB/M users. How well optimized is the game? How much does it cost? PC has to cost considerably less because of my next question. What is the likelihood that I would want to resell the game, or loan to friends?

TLDR: XB1 default because the DS4 is poop, and not PC for a variety of reasons.

Fair, disagree about the PS4 controller but that's opinions. Competitive games are a fair knock, although I don't really play those. As for the other two, generally PC games are cheaper, optimization is a stickier problem. Most of the time, games have been well-optimized on PC, but there are some cases (Arkham Knight, AC, Forza Horizon 3) that run better on consoles. Last point is fair, I don't really games and not many of my friends play games outside of me, so I don't run into that problem. Plus, I'll always buy a multiplat on PC because 5, 10 years down the line if I want to play it again, it's most likely going to be easier to play it on my PC than hoping whatever console I got it on has BC future proofing

PeterGAF

Banned
There are plenty of good reasons to play on console over PC outside of exclusive games. Price point, simplicity, and optimization are probably the biggest though. Good gaming PCs are expensive, you have to know what you're doing to get the most out of it which can be overwhelming for a lot of people, and sometimes a game just won't work on your particular build. There's something nice about knowing that a game just works on an Xbox One without having to worry too much about it, and if it doesn't work then you can be confident that it isn't your fault but instead the game's fault. While consoles have gotten more complicated and PCs have gotten easier to use the gap between them is still pretty big.

Obviously if you're an enthusiast with money to spend and you know what you're doing the PC is usually best. But for most people a console like the Xbox One is so much easier to use and thus makes them happier. It's cool to put the Witcher 3 in your Xbox and have it just work. Yes it is better on the PC, but it might not run perfectly on your build and then you have to go into the options and mess with settings and manually select options that are downgrading the game and some people might not know what these things do. Whereas on the Xbox or PlayStation you just accept that this is the best it will be and usually don't think about it much after that. There's something psychological to it. Option menus can be scary.

bionic77

There are plenty of good reasons to play on console over PC outside of exclusive games. Price point, simplicity, and optimization are probably the biggest though. Good gaming PCs are expensive, you have to know what you're doing to get the most out of it which can be overwhelming for a lot of people, and sometimes a game just won't work on your particular build. There's something nice about knowing that a game just works on an Xbox One without having to worry too much about it, and if it doesn't work then you can be confident that it isn't your fault but instead the game's fault. While consoles have gotten more complicated and PCs have gotten easier to use the gap between them is still pretty big.

Obviously if you're an enthusiast with money to spend and you know what you're doing the PC is usually best. But for most people a console like the Xbox One is so much easier to use and thus makes them happier. It's cool to put the Witcher 3 in your Xbox and have it just work. Yes it is better on the PC, but it might not run perfectly on your build and then you have to go into the options and mess with settings and manually select options that are downgrading the game and some people might not know what these things do. Whereas on the Xbox or PlayStation you just accept that this is the best it will be and usually don't think about it much after that. There's something psychological to it. Option menus can be scary.
People exaggerate so much on the difficulties in playing games on a PC in 2017 like this is the 80s and we are editing config files to get Monkey Island to load up.

Shit has been plug and play since the 90s and it has never been easier. You don't have to go into the options if you don't want to...

People exaggerate so much on the difficulties in playing games on a PC in 2017 like this is the 80s and we are editing config files to get Monkey Island to load up.

Shit has been plug and play since the 90s and it has never been easier. You don't have to go into the options if you don't want to...

Even if I wanted to play PC games on my computer I couldnt. Most new ones require windows 10 and I have the only model of computer on earth that meets all the spec requirements for Windows 10 but still cant run it. I made the mistake of buying an alienware R3, and there is a problem with the bios so it cant upgrade the OS, but neither Dell nor Alienware will put out a patch for it. Shit sucks. My brother in law does computer programing for a living and offered to put a new mother board in it but I would have to buy the part and I dont want to spend even more money to make something work that should already work.

Vyer

XBOX One S has become the primary hub for our living room. It's connected to a 4K tv. I have OTA going through the tv tuner into it, and run Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc through it. Plus occasionally a 4K blu ray. And I use Plex on it for stuff I have in my media server. And then of course I play games occasionally too. It's really a rather complete solution for us at this point.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Agreed. For the most part, as long as you meet the system specs, for anyone who doesn't care about endless tweaking you just install and auto-detect settings and that's more than enough. Keeping drivers up to date is much simpler these days as well.

Things are much better than even 10 years ago, let alone the 90s. Especially when it comes to stuff like overclocking. At the start of my career, I was mainly doing hardware testing for PC games 15 years ago when we still had to deal with Win98SE, WinME, Win2K. WinXP had JUST came out and was a godsend in comparison.

Bread

Banned
Every time I turn my PC on it asks me if I would like to play games or use programs. I then have to enter in the 12 digit confirmation code from Valve to approve my computer for gaming usage which I will then have to re-enter every hour so they know I haven't been hacked. When I finally start up my game Summer Lessons, I need to manually key in all of my computer specs so it can decide which graphics settings will work best. It's a really exhausting process but I have to say it's completely worth it to see all of my friends in crystal clear 720p.

XBOX One S has become the primary hub for our living room. It's connected to a 4K tv. I have OTA going through the tv tuner into it, and run Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc through it. Plus occasionally a 4K blu ray. And I use Plex on it for stuff I have in my media server. And then of course I play games occasionally too. It's really a rather complete solution for us at this point.

That is one huge plus for Xbox one.

bionic77

That is one huge plus for Xbox one.
That's trash.

Barely any difference between that and the 50 cent 300p VCDs you can get from the farmers market. In fact the VCDs are superior because they usually come with some bootleg music videos and help you get off your ass to change the disc every 20 minutes. That's probably why VCD users are usually buff while 4K BR users are fat and gross.

Not all. Phil recently said they will have some console only games and some pc only games.
Anything having released in the last year that's been worthwhile on the console has had a PC port including Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Recore, Dead Rising 4 and Halo Wars 2.

Sea of Thieves has also been announced as a Windows 10 release. As was Scalebound before it was finally canceled. Crackdown and Phantom Dust have also already been announced for release on Windows 10.

So what's left exactly? Right, the standard Halo releases which will likely be kept as Xbox console exclusives for at least a limited time is my bet. Nonetheless, what Phil says may come to fruition but right now practically every major first party game from Microsoft is hitting Windows 10.

Odrick and Soliai released...two former Dolphins...this is odd usually they go on to have great careers after leaving us.

OFFICIAL: @MagicJohnson named President of Basketball Operations in front office restructuring.

Rest of the NBA has been put on notice, lakers are back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom