• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepiope

Sweet, pick 14

I had an S3, and it got what was called the black screen of death. I'd turn on the phone, and the back button and other button on the bottom of the phone would light up, so I knew it was on. But the actual screen just stayed black and wouldn't change. It was a hardware defect, and none of the fixes online ever worked. I had to get it replaced, which, whatever. Insurance covered it. But that happened to me 6 times in two months, and insurance only covered the first two replacements fully. After that, I had to pay a $100 deductible each time. I was stuck on my Verizon contract for another whole year so I couldn't get a new phone, and Samsung refused to give me a replacement for free even though they knew it was their fault. Phone ended up costing me $400 on top of my contract and their CS did nothing to help me. So I don't care how well their phones review, I'm never getting another Samsung phone in my life
Ah, well android and Samsung are not as bad as they used to be. They are much much better phones now. Sucks that you went through that though.

Hindl

Ah, well android and Samsung are not as bad as they used to be. They are much much better phones now. Sucks that you went through that though.

Oh yeah I've always had Android phones, and I still have problems from time to time. But it was more the fact that Samsung CS did nothing for me. I get that hardware problems happen, but they just didn't do anything to fix the situation

MechDX

1488072_560941697332454_458709778_n.jpg

Hindl

Why the fuck do switch games runs worse when docked then in tablet mode? I would have expected the exact opposite.

It's specifically Zelda, and it's because it's an upport from the Wii U instead of built from the ground up. Quoting myself from another thread.

Digital Foundry's theory is that the portable mode is a straight port of the Wii U version, and that's why it's stable. But when you dock it, the resolution increases by roughly 56%, while the bandwidth only increases by 20%. So it's a streaming issue that results from it not being built from the ground up for the Switch. I'm not sure if they can fix it, which is a big shame. It won't bother me much, but anyone sensitive to framerate is going to have a bad time

Here's more details:
From Digital Foundry...

"This is only a theory, but it does make sense based on the data available. Laying out the maths here, docking increases pixel count from 720p to 900p, a 56 per cent in resolution. However, memory bandwidth only rises by 20 per cent, from 1331MHz to 1600MHz. Bandwidth is shared between CPU and GPU, so the higher resolution in the home console mode may be sapping memory bandwidth away from the main processor cores, making us more prone to slowdown when the CPU is under load. Bandwidth concerns may also explain why resolution doesn't scale closer in line with the difference in clock-speeds (307.2MHz or 384MHz undocked, 768MHz docked). "

And not to mention the custom Tegra in the switch has way less memory bandwidth than a standard Tegra, in other words this is a bottleneck that will take a hardware revision rather than a patch to solve.

So it's pretty shitty, but I don't think it should affect games other than Zelda. Still though

It's specifically Zelda, and it's because it's an upport from the Wii U instead of built from the ground up. Quoting myself from another thread.

So it's pretty shitty, but I don't think it should affect games other than Zelda. Still though

Oh, good to see it is just limited to Zelda. Sucks that it has to be that way though. Does that mean future Switch games that try for 900p resolution will also run into this problem?

Hindl

Oh, good to see it is just limited to Zelda. Sucks that it has to be that way though. Does that mean future Switch games that try for 900p resolution will also run into this problem?

I don't pretend to be a programmer or understand this stuff, but I don't think so. For instance, MK8 Deluxe is running at 1080p/60fps when docked. I think it's specifically because Zelda is a port. They basically got the Wii U version (which outputs to the TV at 720p) working stable in portable mode (which has a 720p screen). This is the native resolution of the game. Then, when it's docked, it's upscaled to 900p. So the resolution is bumping up by a set amount, but the amount of memory bandwidth streaming from the console to the TV is increased by a set amount less than the resolution bump. That's what's causing the problem. So for games made for the Switch it shouldn't be a problem.

Mindlog

If that's true.
The 4K CEMU JCBs are living that VIP life.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I don't pretend to be a programmer or understand this stuff, but I don't think so. For instance, MK8 Deluxe is running at 1080p/60fps when docked. I think it's specifically because Zelda is a port. They basically got the Wii U version (which outputs to the TV at 720p) working stable in portable mode (which has a 720p screen). This is the native resolution of the game. Then, when it's docked, it's upscaled to 900p. So the resolution is bumping up by a set amount, but the amount of memory bandwidth streaming from the console to the TV is increased by a set amount less than the resolution bump. That's what's causing the problem. So for games made for the Switch it shouldn't be a problem.

But isnt mk8 a port as well?

Hindl

But isnt mk8 a port as well?

Yeah, but it's a built from the ground up port releasing 2 years later, as opposed to a port releasing at the same time on two different pieces of hardware. So they've had plenty of time to tune it for the Switch, whereas the Zelda team found out this time last year they were making it for the Switch for launch

Doomsayer

Would you rather have them draft a QB instead? Or a wide receiver?

The team has holes everywhere. I wouldn't mind trading down and getting a few more picks. We aren't competing this year (or next year for that matter). We should grab some more picks and take a WR/LB/OLB where we can.

I still think most of the QBs slated as the top prospects will be available in the 2nd round.

The team has holes everywhere. I wouldn't mind trading down and getting a few more picks. We aren't competing this year (or next year for that matter). We should grab some more picks and take a WR/LB/OLB where we can.

I still think most of the QBs slated as the top prospects will be available in the 2nd round.

I don't know man, the Browns always trade down and look how that works out for them. I mean, that's not to say that it won't work, but I'd prefer the Niners keep the #2 pick and draft the best player available.

Yeah I agree with you on the QBs, I'm sure we can wait till at least the second round to draft one (unless teams start getting desperate).

: )

I have been serviced. Best Buy had Switch in stock. Got my Switch, 1 2 Switch, Zelda, and an extra Joycon ($80!?!?!?!?!?!).

Also bought Horizon. Gaming dreams are coming true.

Oh and holy shit at Fournette

Doomsayer

I don't know man, the Browns always trade down and look how that works out for them. I mean, that's not to say that it won't work, but I'd prefer the Niners keep the #2 pick and draft the best player available.

Yeah I agree with you on the QBs, I'm sure we can wait till at least the second round to draft one (unless teams start getting desperate).

The Browns actually have quite a few solid pieces that are developing pretty well for them. I think the Browns future is actually a little brighter than most posters like to think because lolbrowns.

Would rather trade down to 10-13 range and grab a few extra picks.

In all honesty, I'll miss Kap. Dude had the WOAT coaching staff last year and dealt with so much bullshit this season and still played pretty well. No talent around him and he put up respectable numbers (except that god awful Bears game).

You're a Niners fan, this should be second nature.

We used to be bros, bro.

MechDX

The Jets aren't done cutting players, per sources. Marcus Gilchrist, Calvin Pryor, Eric Decker, Buster Skrine and Sheldon Richardson are in danger of losing their roster spots. They could try to trade Pryor and Richardson, both former first-round picks. David Harris appears safe for now, but that could change if they sign a free agent at inside linebacker.

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

Jets just cutting everyone. The tank is on!

Tom Penny

Some games are portable only on Switch so there will be no performance issues playing the game while docked.

Whitey Decker can replace whitey glass Dola

JaMarco

The Browns actually have quite a few solid pieces that are developing pretty well for them. I think the Browns future is actually a little brighter than most posters like to think because lolbrowns.
The Browns will always be lolbrowns no matter what as long as they have no real QB. That's what Cleveland doesn't understand. If you have no franchise QB, your team will be a pathetic dumpster fire no matter how many other stars you have, just ask the Jets.

Tom Penny

The Browns will always be lolbrowns no matter what as long as they have no real QB. That's what Cleveland doesn't understand. If you have no franchise QB, your team will be a pathetic dumpster fire no matter how many other stars you have, just ask the Jets.
Texans won their division and a playoff game.

Bread

Banned
lol i think they understand this bruh

Doomsayer

The Texans say otherwise.

The Bears got to an NFC Championship game with Cutler. Joe Flacco has a ring and several playoff appearances. Put a talented team around average-above average (or in Brocks case fucking terrible) QB's and you can have success.

Not only that, elite QBs come up short every year. Atlanta went through a QB gauntlet this post-season and almost won it all with a pretty mediocre defense. I don't think anyone is calling Matt Ryan elite, either. When the Seahawks won it all Russell wasn't even close to playing at the level he is playing at now. Rodgers has 1 ring. There is a lot more to it.

PeterGAF

Banned
There isn't a single person in an NFL front office who doesn't understand the importance of a franchise QB. That includes the Browns. But just understanding the importance of a QB doesn't mean you are going to wind up with a good one.

Also there are plenty of examples of teams winning without a good QB. It's not common, and it usually doesn't get a team to the super bowl, but it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom