• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SiClancy 1m1 minute ago
More
Dolphins signing Ted Larsen to a 3 year deal. A feisty, versatile, interior scrapper who will improve depth. Not a great starting prospect.

Good for depth I guess since our Oline is always getting injured

JABEE

ruqOsiX.gif
We'll see.

this_guy

Who will the Texans sign if not Romo? Surely Savage isn't their QB of 2017

Savage is an upgrade over Brock. Backup emergency QB and hall of fame punter Shane Lechler is an upgrade over Brock. Texans just resigned Lechler for $2 million, so that's about 1/8 Brock for 8x the player.

BigAT

Interesting point on McCloughan, saying it was alcohol related.

Mike Garafolo‏@MikeGarafolo
Unnamed Skins team official told @washingtonpost McCloughan was fired b/c of alcohol relapses. Showed up in locker room drunk, report says.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18865828/making-sense-unprecedented-brock-osweiler-trade-nfl

Is any of this legal?

It's unclear. The NFL doesn't allow teams to trade players for cash, defining it as conduct detrimental to the league and subject to disciplinary action. Teams are not allowed to make trades for past, future, or nominal considerations, although future draft selections are obviously allowed.

This trade falls into a gray area. Precedent suggests that NFL teams are allowed to make trades that are lopsided on their face by virtue of the discount many teams place on future selections. The 49ers couldn't trade the 66th pick in this year's draft to the Buccaneers for the 50th selection, as it would obviously look fishy, but nobody would raise an eyebrow if San Francisco traded the 66th pick to the Bucs for a 2018 second-rounder. Tampa's second-rounder obviously can't fall any lower than 64th even if they win the Super Bowl, so the 49ers are guaranteed to get a superior pick, but the 2018 pick is seen as less valuable because the 49ers won't get it for 12 months.

Brock Osweiler is headed to Cleveland ... for now. Troy Taormina/USA TODAY Sports
It's no accident that the Browns picked up a 2018 second-rounder as part of this deal in lieu of a 2017 selection. It gives them ammunition in justifying the trade to the league as a reasonable trade for assets. Trading a fourth-rounder for a sixth-rounder and a future second-rounder is more of a discount than most, but it's way less damaging of a move than trading a future first-round pick for a second-round pick in the present draft, and teams have made that move plenty of times in years past. I don't think the league will prevent this deal from going through, but I wouldn't be surprised if they suggested (publicly or privately) to the Browns and the rest of the NFL that future deals in this vein are likely to be vetoed.

If anything, I suspect that the Browns might have been artificially constrained in terms of how much compensation they could credibly receive from the Texans before the league would have stepped in and declared this to be a pure salary dump. I suggested that they would have needed a first-round pick as part of a package to justify absorbing Osweiler's salary. If there was precedent this would be accepted as a legal move by the NFL, I think the Browns would have insisted upon another mid-round pick to help ease the cost of eating millions of dollars in salary.

Ah shit...Goodell coming for the browns,

Hindl

The Eagles are a better team. Alshon Jeffery is a huge signing for the Eagles.

I think Eagles-GAF is underrating these moves.

I'm really happy with the moves, FA went about as good as possible. But I'm just being cautious. Howie went out and got Wentz weapons. Draft OJ Howard, Dalvin Cook, or BPA defensive player at 14, and walk away with 2 CBs in the draft and we'll be set for the future. But things still need to go right. Wentz needs to fix his mechanics and go to the next level. Alshon needs to come in and perform, and not be injured/busted. Pederson needs to work on his game management and playcalling. JP needs to stay upright, and Lane needs to lay off the PEDs. There's a lot of potential in this team, especially if Alshon comes in and performs, but there are caveats. And this team is pretty thin all around too. Besides QB, think about any position on our team, and imagine if the starter went down. There's not a lot of depth, and that's cause for concern. So, I'm really happy about the moves. But I'm tempering expectations till I see results

Eagles fans get the joy of seeing Nelson Agholor play as little as possible this season before being cut next year.

This is truer than you know. I honestly was watching the SB and was amazed at receivers making catches (not the Julio or Edelman one). Just pretty routine contested catches, and I was amazed they weren't dropping it. And that's when it really hit me how dire our WRs were. I was watching them all year so I knew they were bad, but they couldn't even perform at a basic NFL level

kaiju

Unnamed Skins team official told @washingtonpost McCloughan was fired b/c of alcohol relapses. Showed up in locker room drunk, report says.

I knew it. Same damn thing happened when he was Niners' GM.

Gobias

Banned
Every since Zelda came out, I have been getting serviced nonstop.

Revised predictions for 2017
1.) Trump impeached
2.) Mario Odyssey is the BotW of Mario.
3.) 8-8
4.) Floy imprisoned
5.) Hospitalized for too much servicing.

cdyhybrid

The question is whether that's legit or whether this is a hit piece from Snyder.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
As hilarious as it would be to see the Browns get hit with "basketball reasons", there's really no reason why this trade shouldn't be allowed.

Even if they immediately cut him?

Re: alcohol, Snyder would be crazy to lie about that.

SonnyBoy

The question is whether that's legit or whether this is a hit piece from Snyder.

Fuck Snyder. He smears the name of every person who leaves the organization. I find solace in knowing he'll die with the realization that he ruined the franchise he grew up loving.

I can't bring myself to root for another team. But gotdamnit if I can't root against him.

@MikeJonesWaPo

Was told late in the season of jealousy up top and how they'd one day use McCloughan drinking as an excuse to can him. Exactly what happened

That's fucked up

kaiju

Fuck Snyder. He smears the name of every person who leaves the organization. I find solace in knowing he'll die with the realization that he ruined the franchise he grew up loving.

I can't bring myself to root for another team. But gotdamnit if I can't root against him.

C6hD24EW0AAv3hM.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom