• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shout out to Drew Rosenhaus, fuck you.

Browns had a multi year deal on the table for Pryor (pretty much the deal for Britt, but more). But drew Wanted more and kept pushing. they thought pryors market would be bigger, but wasn't. So he had to settle for the 1 year. To a extent maybe fuck you Pryor too.
i don't mean it Bae..

I'm gonna now pretend like he dosent exist and will longer acknowledge him for the rest of the year after this post.

the offer was reportedly more then they gave Britt and he could have reached double digits with incentives. I cant say Pryor isn't back with the Browns because the Browns didn't try. they were talking for months, seems like Drew really overestimated the market and was aiming for that top wr dollar 13-15 million a year. honestly kind of think if it wasn't for Drew he would have been signed. pryor didn't look too happy in that skins intro....
fake edit: just saw a mock up of pryor in a skins jersey, almost puked

0RtkIKB.png

Colasante

Just the way Shefter has been talking about Butler still could be traded even though he still hasn't signed his tender.

All of the sources for Cooks/Butler talk have been from the New Orleans side of the table. All that Schefter's report means is that the Saints are going to continue trying to trade for Butler, not that New England is looking to get rid of him. Belichick isn't just looking to give away his Pro Bowl cornerback who's playing for only $3 million.

Duxxy3

Do we even need to play the 2017/2018 season? Honestly, I think we should just give it to the Pats. They've earned it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Paying money to an ex-Patriot is never my favorite thing.

Well at least he was decent in Chicago and cheaper than what Cook wanted despite him having an extremely limited resume.

Edit: nevermind, didn't realize Cook was that much of a veteran! Thought he was some practice squad dude from somewhere

The defense is still mostly a dumpster fire and I'm not weeping the loss of Micah Hyde. I don't see how he can't be replaced by an above average UDFA at this point anyway.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All of the sources for Cooks/Butler talk have been from the New Orleans side of the table. All that Schefter's report means is that the Saints are going to continue trying to trade for Butler, not that New England is looking to get rid of him. Belichick isn't just looking to give away his Pro Bowl cornerback who's playing for only $3 million.

I wonder if the Saints are considering offering their higher no.1 pick for butler after he signs his tender.

That is dirty Raider style tactics.

I expect the average wage in LA is way higher than a lot of NFL cities.

My co-worker made good money doing it for the stinking rams, this venue only holds 30k so at least until the new stadium is built tickets should be pretty pricey. I'll probably dump them when they move.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
How many players can go play with Tom Brady and have to adjust downward their expectations from the position? Brady just can't throw deep like Brees does

Brady has been money as of late with the deep ball. Pretty sure he lead pff rankings in deep ball accuracy. Pff is hit or miss but it not like he can't throw it like a few years back.

spyder_ur

Brady has been money as of late with the deep ball. Pretty sure he lead pff rankings in deep ball accuracy. Pff is hit or miss but it not like he can't throw it like a few years back.

He's always been able to throw it when he has targets. It's not his strength though, to be sure, but they smartly don't orient their offense to that. Cooks is much more than just a deep threat though. I can't fathom having to cover Edelman on short ins along with Cooks running corners and freaking Gronk tearing down the seam. Damn.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He's always been able to throw it when he has targets. It's not his strength though, to be sure, but they smartly don't orient their offense to that. Cooks is much more than just a deep threat though. I can't fathom having to cover Edelman on short ins along with Cooks running corners and freaking Gronk tearing down the seam. Damn.

He had shit targets but even on broken plays his touch was lost for a few years after the knee injury.

Wtf are niners planning? Pretty sad seeing Kyle just going after people he's played with. Seems like he has no idea how to find talent outside of those.

The talent level on that team is ridiculously low, they are bringing in warm bodies to tide them over while they develop guys through the draft

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Niners, Rams, Jets, all going to compete for worst teams.

Browns are a step ahead of all those teams now and they might still be terrible.

Hunter S.

My co-worker made good money doing it for the stinking rams, this venue only holds 30k so at least until the new stadium is built tickets should be pretty pricey. I'll probably dump them when they move.

Seems worth it if you can.
Funny thing in Denver the Broncos just got rid of season ticket holders selling tickets for profit only. The organization wants people that want to be there to own rights to the seats. The waiting list for season tickets would fill up a second mile high stadium.

Wtf are niners planning? Pretty sad seeing Kyle just going after people he's played with. Seems like he has no idea how to find talent outside of those.

what did you expect them to do? we've done a lot better this year than we have the past few years in FA. we have no one on the roster and a shit load of money. i guarantee you we offered plenty of money to the big name guys (buoye, etc) but you can't force someone onto your team. why would those players want to join a 2-14 team without a QB at this point if another team is offering them similar (even if less) money? $12 million is probably worth more in jax than $16 mil in sf.

but i will say even though i have been happy with FA we need a decent draft this year after baalke has had like 5 straight bad drafts

Colasante

I wonder if the Saints are considering offering their higher no.1 pick for butler after he signs his tender.

There's no real incentive for the Patriots to trade Butler for a 1st round pick, since once he signs his tender they'll receive a 1st from whichever team signs him to an offer sheet, if they refuse to match it. The smart move is to let a team like the Saints negotiate a deal with Butler, the way the Patriots did with Emmanuel Sanders when he was an RFA on a 3rd round tender with the Steelers. If the contract is acceptable, which it almost certainly would be because of the Saints' salary cap issues, the Patriots can just match it, having let the Saints negotiate the deal for them. If it's too much, or if the Saints frontload the deal in such a way that the Patriots find unacceptable, the Patriots can let Butler walk and they'd receive the 11th overall pick for him.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
There's no real incentive for the Patriots to trade Butler for a 1st round pick, since once he signs his tender they'll receive a 1st from whichever team signs him to an offer sheet, if they refuse to match it. The smart move is to let a team like the Saints negotiate a deal with Butler, the way the Patriots did with Emmanuel Sanders when he was an RFA on a 3rd round tender with the Steelers. If the contract is acceptable, which it almost certainly would be because of the Saints' salary cap issues, the Patriots can just match it, having let the Saints negotiate the deal for them. If it's too much, or if the Saints frontload the deal in such a way that the Patriots find unacceptable, the Patriots can let Butler walk and they'd receive the 11th overall pick for him.

Pretty much. Which would require the saints to give butler a stupid amount of money if true AND be willing to deal that pick.

kaiju

Only 3 players out of the 11 they've signed in the past few days have played under Kyle before. Nothing sad about it.

Also this:

@monstr77
@MikeSilver just said, "Darn right they're (49ers) better", when asked if FA signings have made 49ers better

All the dumb GM's in the league want the "won a trade against the cheat" achievement. That is why they do shit like this and the terrible Rowe trade. Bill just sits back and reaps the benefits of these other GM's being totally clueless.

JaMarco

I forgot the Saints had the 11th pick and would have to cough that up in any deal for Butler. Now I don't mind as much if they end up trading Butler there.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I forgot the Saints had the 11th pick and would have to cough that up in any deal for Butler. Now I don't mind as much if they end up trading Butler there.

Again no reason to trade him there let him sign there and take the pick, otherwise cough up a 2nd pick if they want him that bad.

why do they automatically get the #11 pick as opposed to the #32 pick (which the saints now own)? Pretty sure the rules say they get *A* first round pick, why does the team receiving the pick dictate that?

Colasante

why do they automatically get the #11 pick as opposed to the #32 pick (which the saints now own)? Pretty sure the rules say they get *A* first round pick, why does the team receiving the pick dictate that?

You have to give up your own pick if you sign a restricted free agent to an offer sheet, you can't trade an acquired pick.

Duxxy3

Pretty sure it's the slotted pick of the team.

So if the Falcons wanted to offer a contract for Butler, and they had the 15 and 31st pick the 31st pick would be the one the Patriots would get.

Gobias

Banned
Damn a 10 hour servicing session really takes it out of you. Didn't even see TP went to the Redskins. He will not be serviced there.

spyder_ur

Just woke up and saw that the Patriots have done some things. Someone tell me if these things are good.

Do you like the idea of Edelman doing short crosses, Brandin Cooks running deep crosses and ins, and Gronk tearing down the seam while Hogan is going long? If so, they're good.

effzee

Harbaugh took a 6-10 Niners team an turned into a 13-3 one. I know Shanahan isn't Harbaugh but he can't be worse than Chip Kelly.

Harbaugh took a 6-10 team that was far more talented then what they were accomplishing.

Chip took over one of the worst, if not worst, rosters in the NFL and was given 1 year to turn it around. Not apples to apples here. Far better comparison would be how he took a terrible Eagles team which had talent and turned them around in year 1.

In 2 of his 3 seasons in Philly he went 10-6. This nonsense that he can't coach is garbage. He isn't and shouldn't be a GM but he can coach.

Indy should have fired Pagano and hired him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom