• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepiope

He specified first ballot. No wr has been since Rice was on track to retire with every major record. Monk had to wait years. Irvin a couple, Carter too. So will owens. Will be interesting to see how they handle Moss.
Moss and Owens are better WRs than Monk, Irvin, and Carter. They should both be first ballot HOFers.

BigAT

It isnt off the feild at all. He insinuated that a teammate was gay! He tried to use the fact that McNabb was black against him. TO is a total piece of shit who intentionally hurt his own team just so he could get more money. TO put up HoF numbers but he isnt a HoF player.

I'm not sure you understand what off the field means. You say you're a teacher?

He can operate in the pocket, he absolutely can

-------------------
Moss should be First Ballot and Owens should have too

How would a one-read QB operate in the pocket with poor footwork and inability to read defenses. He's ranked 30th in air yards and 26th in completion percentage despite Chip basically ran a system that was completely tailored to his strengths, which was NOT operating in the pocket.

I'm not sure you understand what off the field means. You say you're a teacher?

Those were just the 2 worst examples of terrible things he has done but he has also done stuff during games as well. The yelling at OC's and head coaches. The Eagles being forced to suspend him for games because he was such a distraction for the team.

Fox318

I made the mistake of watching Undisputed once.

Sports debate shows are the fucking worst.

There isn't even usually a debate. Just a dumb question and dumb responses.

Listening to Shannon Sharpe give an opinion on pugilistic sports made me want to throw a hammer at my tv.

Pepiope

Those were just the 2 worst examples of terrible things he has done but he has also done stuff during games as well. The yelling at OC's and head coaches. The Eagles being forced to suspend him for games because he was such a distraction for the team.
Because players never yell at coaches and teammates.

Owens and Moss both deserve to be first ballot HOFers.

Edit:
JPP got paid

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet
#Giants pass-rusher Jason Pierre-Paul signed a 4-year contract worth $62M base – up $66M – with $40M guaranteed, source said. Big-time ������

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Moss and Owens are better WRs than Monk, Irvin, and Carter. They should both be first ballot HOFers.

I think Moss was really something special. I would not argue that owens was better than any of the ones I listed. Maybe carter.

LionPride

Banned
How would a one-read QB operate in the pocket with poor footwork and inability to read defenses. He's ranked 30th in air yards and 26th in completion percentage despite Chip basically ran a system that was completely tailored to his strengths, which was NOT operating in the pocket.
He's been fucked around for the last two and a half years, I won't exactly count him out yet. Plus who the fuck was he throwing to? Jeremy Kerley? DeAndre Smelter?

If they're talking about the female MC then that's dumb because the first one wasn't a real hottie either.

Don't people customize their characters anyway?

More people play with the defaults than you think. I certainly don't, but I always build myself when a game has create a player because i'm a narcissist.

Still, if there's one thing gamers have proved it's that they won't abide by ugly women in their gaming. (not that I think the avatar is ugly, just saying).

He's been fucked around for the last two and a half years, I won't exactly count him out yet. Plus who the fuck was he throwing to? Jeremy Kerley? DeAndre Smelter?

Tom Brady just won a Super Bowl throwing to Edelman, Amendola, and Chris Hogan. Cam Newton got to a Super Bowl throwing to Ginn, Bersin, and Funchess. The "he had garbage to throw to!" argument is a dead end bruh.

LionPride

Banned
I think Moss was really something special. I would not argue that owens was better than any of the ones I listed. Maybe carter.

I'd take Owens over Irvin, over Carter, over Monk.

It's really: 1a = Owens 1b = Irvin 3 = Monk 4 = Carter

Tom Brady just won a Super Bowl throwing to Edelman, Amendola, and Chris Hogan. Cam Newton got to a Super Bowl throwing to Ginn, Bersin, and Funchess. The "he had garbage to throw to!" argument is a dead end bruh.
So comparing Kaepernick to the greatest QB ever and another good/great QB throwing to shit is the same? When Kaep had nothing whatsoever with him? Not an Oline, no real run game besides Hyde, no recievers, nothing.

effzee

No he doesn't, last season he was 30th in air yards, he's uncomfortable in the pocket with poor pocket instincts, can't read defenses and can't go through his progressions, combine that with poor footwork, inconsistent accuracy and slow delivery, there are a ton of flaws in his game that can't be fixed or masked by running the pistol, sometimes he forces the laser in or makes the big run, he can be exciting to watch but he's a piss poor signal caller.

He's not a good candidate as a backup because you have to change to pistol for him to be effective.

LOL but Geno is far worse. And so is Foles. They all get 2nd and 3rd chances and new deals.

Kaep isn't. I would have loved him in Philly. Let our HC and OC, both former QBs, work with him on his mechanics. If Wentz goes down the season is over anyway.

Why Foles?

So comparing Kaepernick to the greatest QB ever and another good/great QB throwing to shit is the same? When Kaep had nothing whatsoever with him? Not an Oline, no real run game besides Hyde, no recievers, nothing.

Yes? You're making excuses for him. If Kaepernick is not good enough to elevate these players then he's not worth being a starter.

Kerley and Torrey Smith, not great but there are worse starting wideouts out there.

Even at his best with targets like Davis and Crabtree he was never a good pocket passer, his accuracy was inconsistent at best and his throwing motion was and still is too elongated which always makes timing an issue, plus he throws with no touch (he does throw one of the hardest balls coming out of college at 59mph), he relied on running but teams have learned to neutralized that aspect of his game for the most part. There are few if any NFL team right now that runs a system that can exploit his running and masks his inadequacies as a passer/signal caller.

Hindl

LOL but Geno is far worse. And so is Foles. They all get 2nd and 3rd chances and new deals.

Kaep isn't. I would have loved him in Philly. Let our HC and OC, both former QBs, work with him on his mechanics. If Wentz goes down the season is over anyway.

Why Foles?

Well like you said if Wentz goes down the season is over anyway, so who cares who the backup is? Maybe Kaep is asking for more money

BigAT

JPP got paid

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet
#Giants pass-rusher Jason Pierre-Paul signed a 4-year contract worth $62M base – up $66M – with $40M guaranteed, source said. Big-time ������

I wasn't expecting a modest contract, but that's more than I'd like. Hopefully it works out well.

You guys are looking at this in a vacuum. Say you take TO and what happens the first time he feels like he isnt getting the ball enough, or he decides that the backup will target him more and he publicly states that the starting QB is gay, or he gets 1 year into a 7 year contract and decides he wants more and then proceeds to sabotage the team to force his release?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

Even though I disagree i would not say that's a bad ranking. They all ultimately are deserving of induction. I really think it's a disservice to the hall of fame and players for there to be so much emphasis on first ballot status.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I believe he still has talent despite his arm being shot for an entire season and flip flopping between him and Blaine "People really thought he'd be good? His name is Blaine Gabbert for fuck's sake" Gabbert for an entire season. Colin deserves another chance, he's a helluva lot better than some people backing up QBs. Could even be a starter.

But he won't get the chance because dat 'cism

Colin is one of the worst qbs in the league. It's not "dat cism" it's the controversy he brings outweighing the benefit of having him on the team. He is absolutely a flawed qb. He has been positively attrocious the past few years. Even when he was playing in a system that worked for him, he was a one read and go guy who absolutely never learned how to read a defense.

kapmisread_11115b.jpg

This play drew a ton of attention, because the defense didn't even bother disguising, they read Colin and the corner literally stacked on the line knowing he wouldn't see him. Torrey was jumping around screaming to let Colin know and he STILL didn't see it. Ended up running the ball right into a stacked line. The whole controversy over the anthem thing is stupid and the NFL is full of racist rich white dudes, but again, his talent to controversy ratio is the deciding factor here just like what happened to Tebow.

Why do you want 31 year old RB who was out out football last year, hurt the whole year before that?

I don't see it happening. Especially do not want to give up a draft pick or pay him what he probably wants 8 mil or so.

why not, hometown boy, and running behind one of the best O-Line in the NFL, and he be splitting carry with washington and richard ....

LionPride

Banned
Yes? You're making excuses for him. If Kaepernick is not good enough to elevate these players then he's not worth being a starter.

Most QBs aren't able to elevate terrible talent. Andy Dalton wasn't able to elevate everyone around him. Is he not worthy of being a starter? For half the year Rodgers wasn't able to elevate those around him. But he's worthy of being a starter. Eli sure as shit didn't elevate anyone last season. The list goes on and on.

Colin is one of the worst qbs in the league. It's not "dat cism" it's the controversy he brings outweighing the benefit of having him on the team. He is absolutely a flawed qb. He has been positively attrocious the past few years. Even when he was playing in a system that worked for him, he was a one read and go guy who absolutely never learned how to read a defense.

kapmisread_11115b.jpg

This play drew a ton of attention, because the defense didn't even bother disgusting, they read Colin and the corner literally stacked on the line knowing he wouldn't see him. Torrey was jumping around screaming to let Colin know and he STILL didn't see it. Ended up running the ball right into a stacked line. The whole anthem thing is stupid and the NFL is full of racist rich white dudes, but again, his talent to controversy ratio is the deciding factor here just like what happened to Tebow.
Geno fucking Smith gets a contract, but Kaep won't even get a look? And it came out throughout the season that Execs hate his ass for protesting. That's a fact.

I believe in him fully, dude just needs another opportunity. Significantly worse QBs maintain a role in the league, why not Colin?

Most QBs aren't able to elevate terrible talent. Andy Dalton wasn't able to elevate everyone around him. Is he not worthy of being a starter? For half the year Rodgers wasn't able to elevate those around him. But he's worthy of being a starter. Eli sure as shit didn't elevate anyone last season. The list goes on and on.

I can't compare Kaepernick to Tom Brady but you can compare him to Aaron Rodgers.

You're not making the point you think you're making. Every time a QB is named you unintentionally admit that Kaepernick is not as good as they are. Let's race to the bottom and see who Kaep is better than!

LionPride

Banned
I can't compare Kaepernick to Tom Brady but you can compare him to Aaron Rodgers.

You're not making the point you think you're making. Every time a QB is named you unintentionally admit that Kaepernick is not as good as they are. Let's race to the bottom and see who Kaep is better than!
You brought up the Greatest QB ever, I brought up another great QB who also failed at elevating shitty talent.

I believe Kapernick is better than most backups. I already said that. I believe he can be a decent starter on a shitty team. His ceiling rn is a decent starter. He's 29, this ain't the NBA where 29 means done, for a QB 29 still means able to deliver.

Everyone knows the reason he isn't getting signed is the protest.

Quite right

I wasn't expecting a modest contract, but that's more than I'd like. Hopefully it works out well.

It's mostly paid out in two years. Covers his franchise tag this year and next and a bulk is paid in signing bonus. He got paid for sure but much like Vernon, it's pretty team friendly.

...and Geno is a camp body at best.

effzee

Well like you said if Wentz goes down the season is over anyway, so who cares who the backup is? Maybe Kaep is asking for more money

I'd agree had they not signed Foles to that ridiculous contract. If you are going to waste money and not sign starters like Logan, might as well sign the better QB to be the back up.

Why Foles?

Kap is 29, those mechanics aren't going to get better.

Geno is awful and Foles is no prize himself but Foles can operate out of a pro-style system whereas last year Chip's system was basically tailored to Kap. Kap isn't exactly someone you can just plug into a system and get moderate success.

Geno is basically a scrap heap option but Kap is likely more costly.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Geno fucking Smith gets a contract, but Kaep won't even get a look? And it came out throughout the season that Execs hate his ass for protesting. That's a fact.

I believe in him fully, dude just needs another opportunity. Significantly worse QBs maintain a role in the league, why not Colin?

I just told you because he sucks and he brings controversy! Geno Smith brings nothing but potential (he really doesn't from what we've seen), he hasnt had the opportunities colin has had as a starter. It's not about talent level, which we know with Colin is extremely poor as it is, it's the negatives of the noise and potentially let room issues he brings outweighing anything good he does on the field.

effzee

Tebow got 10 chances for doing nothing but giving people Jesus boners and Kaep can't get a shot to be on a team over scrubs like Geno or Foles?

LionPride

Banned
I just told you because he sucks and he brings controversy! Geno Smith brings nothing but potential (he really doesn't from what we've seen), he hasnt had the opportunities colin has had as a starter. It's not about talent level, which we know with Colin is extremely poor as it is, it's the negatives of the noise and potentially let room issues he brings outweighing anything good he does on the field.
What issues? The only people who had issues where him weren't his teammates!

Tebow got 10 chances for doing nothing but giving people Jesus boners and Kaep can't get a shot to be on a team over scrubs like Geno or Foles?

Can't tell if you're serious or not, but yeah. Fucking Tebow got chance after chance after chance, dude was never good. Yet we allow fucking actual terrible QBs to be backups. Fucking Ryan Nassib!

You brought up the Greatest QB ever, I brought up another great QB who also failed at elevating shitty talent.

I believe Kapernick is better than most backups. I already said that. I believe he can be a decent starter on a shitty team. His ceiling rn is a decent starter. He's 29, this ain't the NBA where 29 means done, for a QB 29 still means able to deliver.

He could be a decent backup (maybe) but as has been said in this thread, Kaep played himself when he started the anthem controversy (which I believe he then tried to cover up by attaching himself to a cause he didn't really believe in).

Team cancers do not get contracts. We can debate the fairness of that stance by the NFL, but Kaep isn't the first example of this practice, and he won't be the last. Simply put, Kaepernick is nowhere near a good enough Quarterback for teams to ignore his controversy.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

First off foles is garbage but that run a few years ago was absurd. Kaepernick is a scrub and brings noise and locker room problems how are people not getting this? Tebow got a chance with the team he was drafted on, bill brought him to the pats to attempt to convert him to te and he got cut. He had 3 chances and only 1 of those was on an actual roster come game day

effzee

He has enough raw talent that someone would be interested in bringing him in. Yet in the NFL, protesting police brutality of institutional racism will eliminate you from any consideration, where as punching and breaking a woman's face slides you into round 2.

Tom Penny

Tebow played for two teams and was out of the league in 3 years... You must be taking about shots in baseball and CFL.

LionPride

Banned
What locker room problems? His teammates did not have a problem with him.

He has enough raw talent that someone would be interested in bringing him in. Yet in the NFL, protesting police brutality of institutional racism will eliminate you from any consideration, where as punching and breaking a woman's face slides you into round 2.

Round 1 potentially...

Striker

On his 4-yr, $62M deal worth up to $66M, #Giants star JPP has a $20M signing bonus. He earns $34M within 11 mos & $49.5M over the 1st 3 yrs
By the time he is able to be cut, new deals for Collins and OBJ will be in line.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

No see now you're getting somewhere. What do Greg hardy,and Adrian Peterson have in common? TALENT. Adrian came back and performed and moved on... Greg came back and made an absurd amount of noise and locker issues and guess what? See ya later.

What happened to ray rice? Trash heap. Know why? Because he sucked at that point.

Jarnet87

Geno getting a contract doesn't justify that Kap deserves one, they both should be out of the league. And it's also possible that some FO's still think Geno has talent. Why, how, who knows.

Rodgers, Andy Dalton and Eli all threw for 4000 yards, Kap is never going to be able to do that, ever.

Maybe Kap is asking for too much money, maybe it's because Kap doesn't work well in a pro-style offense, that said, nobody is knocking on that door.

LionPride

Banned
No see now you're getting somewhere. What do Greg hardy,and Adrian Peterson have in common? TALENT. Adrian came back and performed and moved on... Greg came back and made an absurd amount of noise and locker issues and guess what? See ya later.

What happened to ray rice? Trash heap. Know why? Because he sucked at that point.

He was a 29 year old RB, ya know around the time they get dumped. A 29 year old QB and a 29 year old RB are two very different animals.

Rodgers, Andy Dalton and Eli all threw for 4000 yards, Kap is never going to be able to do that, ever.

Maybe Kap is asking for too much money, maybe it's because Kap doesn't work well in a pro-style offense, that said, nobody is knocking on that door.

Or maybe it's because he protested an actual issue and he won't be given another chance. Ya know, the actual reason

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Tebow played for two teams and was out of the league in 3 years...

Was gonna say that Tebow is a super shitty comparison

Even per his Wikipedia page:

"It is unprecedented for an NFL quarterback to have had the kind of early success Tebow had (winning record as a starter 8–6, becoming starter and leading his team to the playoffs after they had started 1–4, and winning his first playoff start) and then to never start another NFL game.[14]"

The Broncos traded him and then he became a media distraction wherever he went. Tebow was a damn good athlete but didn't want to convert to another position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom