• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

How do you reach small town America though? They're the ones who got him elected.

They only care about the economy. I think many of them are starting to regret their vote due to Trump raising FHA premiums, but they care about their own financial well-being, that's it. So Democrats need to spend a significant amount of time talking about how they want to raise taxes on the rich, lower taxes on the middle class, and provide support to them.

The problem is, there's been a ton of articles pointing this out, about how Dermocrats took the white working class vote for granted, rust belt, yada yada. But the suggestions on how to fix this always seem to be start focusing on the economy at the expense of talking about social issues. They say we'll focus on social issues once we're in office, for now we'll put it on the backburner. But minorities have heard that many times before, and realize that it really means Democrats will do fuckall to fix things. If it's not front and center in the campaign, social issues never get addressed.

WedgeX

Banned
They only care about the economy. I think many of them are starting to regret their vote due to Trump raising FHA premiums, but they care about their own financial well-being, that's it. So Democrats need to spend a significant amount of time talking about how they want to raise taxes on the rich, lower taxes on the middle class, and provide support to them.

The problem is, there's been a ton of articles pointing this out, about how Dermocrats took the white working class vote for granted, rust belt, yada yada. But the suggestions on how to fix this always seem to be start focusing on the economy at the expense of talking about social issues. They say we'll focus on social issues once we're in office, for now we'll put it on the backburner. But minorities have heard that many times before, and realize that it really means Democrats will do fuckall to fix things. If it's not front and center in the campaign, social issues never get addressed.

Obama made the economies of the very towns that voted against him better. And yet they refused to give him any credit. Obama paid attention, did things about it, but people don't care. The problem lays with the people. And I don't know how to fix it.

If Bannon just wants chaos, he just has to get his Russian buddies to assassinate a liberal Supreme Court judge. As high as tensions are with demonstrators, entire cities would burn.
The thought probably crossed his mind.. (I hope you knocked on wood as you said that Wienke)

But Putin wouldn't do that because.. if he wanted to guarantee Cold War 2.0 to get hot.. that would be the one way to do it

Obama made the economies of the very towns that voted against him better. And yet they refused to give him any credit. Obama paid attention, did things about it, but people don't care. The problem lays with the people. And I don't know how to fix it.
See it doesn't count if a black guy does it..

But in all seriousness.. the only way to bridge the divide is by communication with those who can be reached.. because there are many who are too far gone like most Trumpers..

There are no easy fixes..

Hindl

Yeah that's part of the problem. But I see why that happened, and it's despite how much I utterly loathe Trump, I am impressed with how brilliantly he played the media, voters and the political machine in general. In a normal campaign, Hillary and Obama would've been able to go to these towns and talk to them to describe how far their town has come under Obama, even if they don't feel it. They'd have said "We still have a long way to go, but look at how far we've come" and back it up with, for example, pulling data on whatever rural town they were speaking in and show the amount of jobs in 2008 vs 2016, how wages have gone up for that town, healthcare enrollment, etc. And then they could say Hillary's plan will take this progress further and describe how. Now, even if they did do that, a lot of people still would've voted against Democrats, but they definitely could've flipped a significant number of people to Democrat. But because Trump was so vile, and did so many disgusting things and control the airwaves, the Democrats decided to make this a moral choice of good vs. evil, and all these rural families heard Hillary and Obama in the campaign talking about these moral and social issues and not addressing their economic concerns. In reality, the Democrats did talk about that stuff quite a bit during the campaign, but they didn't hammer it home enough in rural America.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah that's part of the problem. But I see why that happened, and it's despite how much I utterly loathe Trump, I am impressed with how brilliantly he played the media, voters and the political machine in general. In a normal campaign, Hillary and Obama would've been able to go to these towns and talk to them to describe how far their town has come under Obama, even if they don't feel it. They'd have said "We still have a long way to go, but look at how far we've come" and back it up with, for example, pulling data on whatever rural town they were speaking in and show the amount of jobs in 2008 vs 2016, how wages have gone up for that town, healthcare enrollment, etc. And then they could say Hillary's plan will take this progress further and describe how. Now, even if they did do that, a lot of people still would've voted against Democrats, but they definitely could've flipped a significant number of people to Democrat. But because Trump was so vile, and did so many disgusting things and control the airwaves, the Democrats decided to make this a moral choice of good vs. evil, and all these rural families heard Hillary and Obama in the campaign talking about these moral and social issues and not addressing their economic concerns. In reality, the Democrats did talk about that stuff quite a bit during the campaign, but they didn't hammer it home enough in rural America.

On the plus side, I think we can safely assume that no future Democratic candidate will just sit in California and New York doing fundraisers even if the polls give you a 95% chance of winning. Expect an incredible amount of pandering to the WWC voter in the 2020 election much to the chagrin of the coastal social progressives.

I'm always being told to sympathise with poor white people because it's not their fault that they're racist.

Black and brown people been suffering for generations from institutionalised racism from governments and organisations that are supposed to protect us. I'm still waiting for those rednecks and little Englander fucks to throw a bit of sympathy my way.

I can no longer sympathise with people like that, not after the last couple of years. Fuck their economic anxiety, I'm going to point and laugh when their Obamacare gets taken away and when their towns go to shit when factories bugger off to mainland Europe after Brexit.

Hindl

I'm always being told to sympathise with poor white people because it's not their fault that they're racist.

Black and brown people been suffering for generations from institutionalised racism from governments and organisations that are supposed to protect us. I'm still waiting for those rednecks and little Englander fucks to throw a bit of sympathy my way.

I can no longer sympathise with people like that, not after the last couple of years. Fuck their economic anxiety, I'm going to point and laugh when their Obamacare gets taken away and when their towns go to shit when factories bugger off to mainland Europe after Brexit.

Yes I'm not advocating minorities reach out and be sympathetic. They've always had to turn the other cheek and take the high road. They're always told to sympathize with the poor white voter, and they are only paid attention to when it's convenient for the white voter. They don't owe those people a damn thing and shouldn't be taking it any longer. I'm saying it's the job of white liberals to take up that burden and attempt to sympathize and bring those people in. That's why future Democrats running for office are going to need to adopt two different campaign strategies going forward. One for the cities and suburbs where they can talk and advocate for social issues, and the rural strategy where they focus on the economic issues affecting poor and middle-class whites. Politicians will have to do this, but minorities have no reason to sympathize with those people.

On the plus side, I think we can safely assume that no future Democratic candidate will just sit in California and New York doing fundraisers even if the polls give you a 95% chance of winning. Expect an incredible amount of pandering to the WWC voter in the 2020 election much to the chagrin of the coastal social progressives.

Yeah that's partially what I'm worried about with my two campaigns idea, it'll cause friction. The next Democrat is going to have to be very charming to be able to thread the needle between those two different constituencies with grace.

bionic77

I am with you but people need to actually vote to make them irrelevant.

The one thing these bumpkins do in addition to groping their relatives is they show up to the polls.

Voting is free. It takes a few hours of your time at worst once a year. You apathetic motherfuckers don't like this then vote. Otherwise I don't see this changing.

Omg just saw this. This is a members avatar
image.php

Sorry for the small size, or I guess ur welcome for the small size actually

MechDX

Maybe I should do some more mock drafts to get the football talk going again?? Who wants me to do a mock for their team?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Omg just saw this. This is a members avatar
image.php

Sorry for the small size, or I guess ur welcome for the small size actually

But Trump's hands are drawn to scale?

🤔

Only way things can change is if Americans vote to get republicans out. I don't feel too good about that. America is too much of us vs them right now.

DNC shit their pants since 2010 so hopefully they can get it together

The next pwrson to run against trump actually needs to travel to every swing state, and campaign like crazy. When trump came to Vegas last year it was all the different news shows talked about for days. He got so much free advertising. Hillary missed out on that in so many places cause she didn't want to put in the work. She was just handed the nomination and she just wanted to be handed the presidency. Someone going to places in the middle of the country will go a long way next time. Hope the Dems find someone willing to work hard for the job.

MechDX

Do one for my TEXANS!

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 25: T.J. Watt, OLB, Wisconsin (B)
Round 2 Pick 25: Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami (Fla.) (C+)
Round 3 Pick 25: Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh (C)
Round 4 Pick 24: C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa (D-)
Round 5 Pick 25: Cooper Rush, QB, Central Michigan (D-)
Round 6 Pick 4: Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss (C+)
Round 7 Pick 25: Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (A+)

DoinIT!!

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 25: T.J. Watt, OLB, Wisconsin (B)
Round 2 Pick 25: Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami (Fla.) (C+)
Round 3 Pick 25: Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh (C)
Round 4 Pick 24: C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa (D-)
Round 5 Pick 25: Cooper Rush, QB, Central Michigan (D-)
Round 6 Pick 4: Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss (C+)
Round 7 Pick 25: Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (A+)

DoinIT!!

Zane Gonzalez! A+!!!

MechDX

Just did another mock at http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=gqmjnp (the easier one) and holy crap!

25: R1P25 OT RYAN RAMCZYK
WISCONSIN
57: R2P25 OT CAM ROBINSON
ALABAMA
89: R3P25 S OBI MELIFONWU
UCONN
129: R4P24 QB NATHAN PETERMAN
PITTSBURGH
170: R5P25 LB DUKE RILEY
LSU
189: R6P4 DL LARRY OGUNJOBI
CHARLOTTE
246: R7P25 DL DEANGELO BROWN
LOUISVILLE

Two 1st round graded, bookend tackles with your first two picks? yes please!

Zane Gonzalez! A+!!!

wgsiz.gif

Pepiope

I am with you but people need to actually vote to make them irrelevant.

The one thing these bumpkins do in addition to groping their relatives is they show up to the polls.

Voting is free. It takes a few hours of your time at worst once a year. You apathetic motherfuckers don't like this then vote. Otherwise I don't see this changing.
The issue with that is just time. Some people can't afford to take off work, and their commute times are a couple hours or more each way.

Some are just lazy and don't care though, but I don't think you can really change them.
Ben retiring, Brown gonna be gone! Man this is dope
Wentz would not mind those antics in Philly. Howie do it!

Ben and Brown both a step from being gone

Sure would be great if literally anyone in the AFC North could, or even was anywhere near close to being able to, capitalize

😞

MechDX

For my boy BG!

1: R1P1 EDGE MYLES GARRETT
TEXAS A&M
12: R1P12 RB LEONARD FOURNETTE
LSU
33: R2P1 S JABRILL PEPPERS
MICHIGAN
52: R2P20 G FORREST LAMP
WESTERN KENTUCKY
65: R3P1 WR CURTIS SAMUEL
OHIO STATE
106: R4P1 C ETHAN POCIC
LSU
141: R4P36 WR AMARA DARBOH
MICHIGAN
146: R5P1 CB MARQUEZ WHITE
FSU
176: R5P31 OT DAVID SHARPE
FLORIDA
180: R5P35 TE ERIC SAUBERT
DRAKE
186: R6P1 QB COOPER RUSH
CENTRAL MICHIGAN

JABEE

Antonio Brown can surreptitiously record Doug Pederson's "motivational" speeches after an exciting win. I'm okay with that.

A player with a bad attitude such as Brown is straight locker room cancer. Complete disregard for the team just for his endorsement deal with Facebook, and then he just doesn't show up for the AFC championship game.

He didn't show up? He was doubled all game.Steelers were expecting that and tried to get the ball to the other receivers to compensate. Not the first game that's happened.

The endorsement stuff was selfish I agree but you're drunk if you think the Steelers are going to ditch the best receiver in the league for something so marginal. All this "disappointment" talk is the team's attempt to drive his price down in a contract year.

For my boy BG!

1: R1P1 EDGE MYLES GARRETT
TEXAS A&M
12: R1P12 RB LEONARD FOURNETTE
LSU
33: R2P1 S JABRILL PEPPERS
MICHIGAN
52: R2P20 G FORREST LAMP
WESTERN KENTUCKY
65: R3P1 WR CURTIS SAMUEL
OHIO STATE
106: R4P1 C ETHAN POCIC
LSU
141: R4P36 WR AMARA DARBOH
MICHIGAN
146: R5P1 CB MARQUEZ WHITE
FSU
176: R5P31 OT DAVID SHARPE
FLORIDA
180: R5P35 TE ERIC SAUBERT
DRAKE
186: R6P1 QB COOPER RUSH
CENTRAL MICHIGAN

You didnt even recognize the awesome mock draft I did for you. :(
Haha actually some players I would want in this. Still against a rb at 12, because crow has developed pretty nicely. Guess I couldn't be too mad at Fournette, but not ideal for me. You also kind of double down on the rb position by taking Samuel who is a rb/wr hybrid lol. Browns have a nice duo in Crow and Johnson. I think we need a solid young guy behind Crow though. Browns had POCIC at the senior bowl 🤔🤔.
Don't worry friend, Myles will be a Brown. Drafting a great defensive lineman really helps our your team, just look at my Texans and my Clowney.
Our Clowney is dope now. Can't believe Mech tried to ruin our mock draft that year

JABEE

He didn't show up? He was doubled all game.Steelers were expecting that and tried to get the ball to the other receivers to compensate. Not the first game that's happened.

The endorsement stuff was selfish I agree but you're drunk if you think the Steelers are going to ditch the best receiver in the league for something so marginal. All this "disappointment" talk is the team's attempt to drive his price down in a contract year.

I said the same about Desean, a lesser player.

Next week you will see made-up stories about Brown hanging around with the wrong crowd.

He clearly isn't the best, Julio Jones has that title. Best receiver in the league could deal with a double team and AB just disappeared, plus he clearly stopped caring after he didn't get the ball enough, he needs stats to get likes on Facebook. Steelers will keep him, but he doesn't care about them

I wasn't completely serious, just wanted you rustle your jimmies a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom