• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

foppy79

Made a small update to the announcement for reality:

cOqQt9S.jpg
:lol

San Fran is in for a fun ride for the next while

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I said the current Pats are not what I considered a dynasty. Lifelongs everywhere! Their version of Patriots "history" started in 2001

Well...you're presenting an argument that needs to define a "dynasty" I suppose.

I always kinda assumed most of the sports media view the Pats as a dynasty because it's still Brady/Belichick at the end of the day.

There's just not a lot of comparison points I don't think. Nobody else had a dynasty and then won a Super Bowl several years later with the same quarterback/coach combo.

Tamanon

Banned
I mean, it's an out of nowhere move, but weren't people pumping up Peyton Manning as a possible GM for teams? He has the same amount of experience there.

Mindlog

Brace yourselves.
2017 is a relentless shitheap.
Lies are spread pretending some things are perfect when we know they aren't.

But something might finally be all that is good again.

Mutant
League
Football

Eat dicks 2017. Mutant Football League won't let us down.

Well...you're presenting an argument that needs to define a "dynasty" I suppose.

I always kinda assumed most of the sports media view the Pats as a dynasty because it's still Brady/Belichick at the end of the day.

There's just not a lot of comparison points I don't think. Nobody else had a dynasty and then won a Super Bowl several years later with the same quarterback/coach combo.

See, a Dynasty has always been defined thusly - large amount of championships, short amount of time.

Steelers, Niners, Cowboys, Early 2000's Cheating Asterisks, all dynasties.

Now all of a sudden people (well, the media and Asterisks fans) want to change the definition from what it's always been known for and add things like multiple AFC Championship and Super Bowl appearances and regular season accolades. Asterisks won three Super Bowls in 4 years. That was a dynasty. This current team is not a dynasty. Not only does it not have anything to do with the early aughts teams aside from Belichick and Brady, it's also won only one championship, 11 years after the last one. That is not a dynasty by any definition. Multiple AFC Championship appearances and even Super Bowl appearances are not championships. If they were the freaking Bills had a dynasty.

Line_HTX

See, a Dynasty has always been defined thusly - large amount of championships, short amount of time.

Now all of a sudden people (well, the media and Asterisks fans) want to change the definition from what it's always been known for and add things like multiple AFC Championship and Super Bowl appearances and regular season accolades. Asterisks won three Super Bowls in 4 years. That was a dynasty. This current team is not a dynasty. Not only does it not have anything to do with the early aughts teams aside from Belichick and Brady, it's also won only one championship, 11 years after the last one. That is not a dynasty by any definition. Multiple AFC Championship appearances and even Super Bowl appearances are not championships. If they were the freaking Bills had a dynasty.

This completely. They have not won multiple in a short amount of time AROUND XLIX. Whoever keeps suggesting that it's a dynasty without winning another one from recent years ought to get a black eye and concussion.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Now all of a sudden people (well, the media and Asterisks fans) want to change the definition from what it's always been known for and add things like multiple AFC Championship appearances and regular season accolades. Asterisks won three Super Bowls in 4 years. That was a dynasty. This current team is not a dynasty. Not only does it not have anything to do with the early aughts teams aside from Belichick and Brady, it's also one won one championship, That is not a dynasty by any definition. Multiple AFC Championship appearances are not championships.

They're beyond a dynasty is another way to look at it. These guys are basically up there in the same tier as the Celtics/Lakers/Yankees at the height of their power. The Spurs are another decent modern example.

What the Pats and Spurs do in this era of free agency/salary cap is basically unthinkable. It's not to say those other teams listed didn't draft well or hold onto their players well/caught lucky breaks, it's that these two teams did it in a system designed to keep such a run from happening.

In the Pats case some people claim that oh, their division was always crappy. It wasn't at the start of the run, the Bills and Jets were good. Despite how much they bitch and moan the Jets have actually been pretty good all century so far. Only once or twice did the AFC east have the worst team in all of football in it and most years the other three teams hovered around five hundred despite probably losing to the Pats twice. AFC East has also never once been the worst division in the Brady era, though it got pretty close a few years ago.

Football is especially cruel to teams who keep winning. Like the other sports it means you pick last in the first round but also your schedule becomes harder the better you do. Why did we see Brady and Manning almost twenty times despite them not being in the same division? Because they were almost always on the number one team and had the number one schedule. The Pats have not picked in the top ten without trading up since 2001.

They're beyond a dynasty is another way to look at it. These guys are basically up there in the same tier as the Celtics/Lakers/Yankees at the height of their power. The Spurs are another decent modern example.

What the Pats and Spurs do in this era of free agency/salary cap is basically unthinkable. It's not to say those other teams listed didn't draft well or hold onto their players well/caught lucky breaks, it's that these two teams did it in a system designed to keep such a run from happening.

In the Pats case some people claim that oh, their division was always crappy. It wasn't at the start of the run, the Bills and Jets were good. Despite how much they bitch and moan the Jets have actually been pretty good all century so far. Only once or twice did the AFC east have the worst team in all of football in it and most years the other three teams hovered around five hundred despite probably losing to the Pats twice. AFC East has also never once been the worst division in the Brady era, though it got pretty close a few years ago.

Football is especially cruel to teams who keep winning. Like the other sports it means you pick last in the first round but also your schedule becomes harder the better you do. Why did we see Brady and Manning almost twenty times despite them not being in the same division? Because they were almost always on the number one team and had the number one schedule. The Pats have not picked in the top ten without trading up since 2001.

That's all fantastic - still not a dynasty.

By whatever hook, crook, or stolen playbook, Asterisks have been great for a long time. The Peyton Manning led Colts were too. Yet they were not a dynasty, and neither is this modern Asterisks team.

Hey, if they win next week then add another next year or the one after, then we can talk. Until then spare me the Dynasty talk.

I'll just forget you said the Jets have been pretty good this century. In the 16 years since the 21st century started the Jets have gone 10-6 or better 5 times, not once back to back.

Hunter S.

If San Francisco hires Kyle Shanahan as they did John Lynch the 49ers are officially Denver West!

Lynch is a very likable man, so I hope he does well for the 49ers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom