• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
What has become of my beloved Browns-GAF?

I do want to say this unnecessary hate for Peppers among Browns fandom is kinda hilarious. Who gives a damn what school he played for? He will play for the Browns now, that's all that matters.

Draxal

I do want to say this unnecessary hate for Peppers among Browns fandom is kinda hilarious. Who gives a damn what school he played for? He will play for the Browns now, that's all that matters.

He is probably the most divisive college player i've seen in a while, the hype to production numbers weren't there.

I understand Floy's frustration.

Peter Schrager‏Verified account
@PSchrags

Follow
More
NEWS. It's official. Jay Cutler has been hired by @nflonfox . Will join Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis in the booth this season.

Cutler is the anti-Gruden. Could be interesting.

Burkhardt: "He's a hard guy to bring down when he gets a head of steam"
Davis: "Yeah look how he keeps his legs moving, he keeps fighting for yards and trying to drive the pile forward. What do you think Jay?"

Cutler: "Who gives a shit"

RBH

Ninja Scooter.: RBH? RBH! Why's he running DM?
DMczaf: Because we have to disrespect him.
MechDX: Okay we're going in! Go, go! Move!
Ninja Scooter: He didn't do anything wrong.
DMczaf: Because he's the Falcons fan GAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll disrespect him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian of Browns GAF. A watchful protector of the Bears draft. An Atlanta Sports Fan.

gtrdLAMJeVRQs.gif

That's what people were saying about Watson this time last year
Sure..

But.. until circumstances change.. Derwin James or bust.

Like maybe they trade away their first round pick and some other team picks in the top 10 for them?
That's why we have that Texans pick. Watt's back blows up and Clowney loses his mind and retires and it leads to the Texans pick being in the top ten..

And then we trade that pick

Adam Schefter‏Verified account
@AdamSchefter

Following
More
Before deciding to go to FOX, Jay Cutler had real discussions with Jets, and less-promising ones with Texans. Cutler opted for analyst role.

Rather Retire Than Play For Them: A New York Jets Story

MechDX

@AdamSchefter

Following
More
Before deciding to go to FOX, Jay Cutler had real discussions with Jets, and less-promising ones with Texans. Cutler opted for analyst role.

Cutler: dials Texans front office "Hey this is Jay Cutler. I heard you guys may be in the need of a QB this year!"

Voice on other end: "New phone. Who dis?"

@AdamSchefter

Following
More

Damn..

:jnc

I'm sorry friend..

😎👌
Congratsonthesex.jpg

effzee

Yeah no one knows who will be a Super Bowl caliber team next year (except the Pats). I actually said in my post that I think they can be in the wild card or maybe compete for the division. Once you're there, you're right, anything can happen. My concern is just that the key to a Super Bowl caliber team is depth, because injuries happen. I'm not sure the Eagles have great depth everywhere at this moment. Plus it's assuming rookies come in and hit the ground running. It could happen, and I think they'll be in contention late in the season. Although it'll be tough because imo the NFC East is now one of toughest overall divisions in the league (along with the AFC West and NFC South).

My issue is that since 08 it seems like this team consistently seems 1 year away from competing and they keep making big moves to try to get over the hump, and it never works. They finally said fuck it and went and got their QB to build around. So yes, now they got it. But it's not like they got prime Rodgers, Manning, Brady, etc. That's the level of QB that would win a Super Bowl with this team. Wentz isn't there. They got a rookie QB who was extremely raw (he only played in 25 games in his life before opening against the Browns). He showed a lot of promise, but he has a lot of development he needs to do. So they surrounded him with talent to make that development easier. Give him a Top 5 receiver so he doesn't have to play hero ball. Give him a deep threat that can stretch the field so safeties can't play so close to the LOS. His development is more important than winning games in 2017, because that'll set us up for the potentially the next 10 years. That's why they went and got those receivers, especially because if Jeffery balls out he'll be staying here for the early part of Wentz' career.

And regarding the OL, it isn't aging. Outside of Peters (and Kelce I guess but we have his replacement ready), the OL is young. With the arrival of Jernigan and Barnett, the DL has gotten younger too. I've liked the moves made this year, because when we drafted Wentz I thought that 2018 was the year we'd be pushing deep into the playoffs. BG and Jenkins would still be in the end of their primes, Cox, McLeod, and Hicks would be entering their primes, Wentz would hopefully develop into the potential he had, and our OL would be young and peaking too. Now with their moves this offseason, 2018 will also have Jernigan and Jeffery either entering or in the middle of their primes, plus Douglas getting more comfortable at CB and Barnett settled in at DE, Mills in Year 3 and hopefully developing into a solid depth corner, and Jones coming back to hopefully be the star he's supposed to be. So I hope and think they can see a playoff win this year, but next year is the year I'm expecting big things.

I get all this but I am not asking them to break the bank, throw away the draft, or to take drastic moves.

They just need a veteran CB either on the market now or will become available after training camp cuts. Can't go into the season with Mills, Douglas, and Patrick Robinson as your starting CBs.

They just hate him because they don't understand him. Peppers, James Collums and MyMyles are gonna make the Browns a top 5 defense this year.

Pepiope

I get all this but I am not asking them to break the bank, throw away the draft, or to take drastic moves.

They just need a veteran CB either on the market now or will become available after training camp cuts. Can't go into the season with Mills, Douglas, and Patrick Robinson as your starting CBs.
Ya I think it's best to wait for training camp cuts. If there was a CB on the market they liked, they would've brought him in by now. I can easily see Kelce of Kendricks getting moved for a CB a team isn't happy with.

Hindl

I'll agree with bringing in a veteran CB, but I'd personally be alright with Mills and Douglas starting. Would I like a better CB? Absolutely, but I'm not against getting these guys experience to develop them over a veteran that'll be gone in 2 years

MechDX

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1776224-deshaun-watson-has-chance-play-2017

Shortly after drafting Watson at the end of the first round, the Texans held their press conference to discuss the selection of their new quarterback.

“I don’t know that people really believe us, but we’re comfortable with Tom Savage as quarterback. We’ve been saying that for the last several months,” Rick Smith said of Savage. “He learns, he puts his head down and goes to work, and starts to try to earn the respect of his teammates and try to learn how to play quarterback in pro football.”

Smith was invited onto Stephen A. Smith’s show on ESPN and was asked if Watson had a chance to start for the Texans. The answer, on Watson, was a little bit different from what had been said in previous weeks.

“There is a lot for him to learn that way but we want to provide a competitive environment across the board,” Smith explained of Watson coming to Houston. “So he will compete and, like I said, we feel good about Tom (Savage) and his abilities to manage the offense but he will come in just like every other guy on the roster, he will have a chance to play.”

I really hope the Astros can make a deep run in the playoffs this year

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Last year was gravy for the Eggles. They were going into the season as a rebuild and over performed the first half of it before everyone figured out their glaring weakness. I think they'll likely be much better this season.

effzee

Ya I think it's best to wait for training camp cuts. If there was a CB on the market they liked, they would've brought him in by now. I can easily see Kelce of Kendricks getting moved for a CB a team isn't happy with.

Or they were waiting to see how the draft played out.

Post draft the following vet CBs are available who I think the Eagles should bring in now so they can compete in TC:

Jason McCourty
Brandon Flowers - if his concussion issue is resolved
Brice McCain
Darryl Morris (only 26 years old)
Alterraun Verner

I'd bring either of these guys on a low-risk 1-year deal to see if they have anything either left in the tank or can play up to their potential. Let them battle in camp and if the rookies and young guys beat them out, cut them or keep as CB depth.

DCX

DCX
@AdamSchefter

Following
More

#jetsculture

DCX

Pepiope

Post draft the following vet CBs are available who I think the Eagles should bring in now so they can compete in TC:

Jason McCourty
Brice McCain
Alterraun Verner

I'd bring either of these guys on a low-risk 1-year deal to see if they have anything either left in the tank or can play up to their potential. Let them battle in camp and if the rookies and young guys beat them out, cut them or keep as CB depth.
Either way it's hard for the CBs to be worse than last year, and their job should be easier now with the (hopefully) improved line.

Hindl

Jason McCourty
Brice McCain
Alterraun Verner

I'd be happy with bringing in any of them to compete
you started this!!!!
I'm sorry friend. I'll give Papa Gino's another shot to make amends

Top Bottom