• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

WedgeX

Banned
Paging kas:

Agree with all the posts saying he's "Hall of really good", definitely not HoF. This generation has too many standout QBs to just throw everybody who put up numbers and wins into the Hall. I mean, in the same "era" as Romo we've had;

Brady - GOAT
P.Manning - Changed the game, statistical GOAT for most of his career
Brees - Literally has more 5000 yard seasons than everybody else COMBINED. Makes 400 yard games look routine.
Big Ben - 2 SB wins, 3 appearances, has carried very mediocre teams on his back consistently
Rodgers - Does things no other QB in the league can do while being a "classic" QB at the same time
E.Manning - 2 of the most improbable super bowl wins ever, the only QB to stop the GOAT

Those are all clearcut HoFers from the same era as Romo (As much as I don't think Eli has a HoF skillset, he WILL get in). That's almost a fifth of the starting QBs in the league in any given season from 2008-2015. At that point, you have to make SOME kind of cutoff.

Romo is super high on the "next tier" of that gen, but with no SB appearance and TWO playoff wins over his career, he just doesn't cut "Hall of Fame". That next tier IMO would go;

Rivers - Similar career to Romo IMO, just couldn't get it done in the playoffs. Carried BAD teams way too often.
Romo - The playoff record (2-4) speaks for itself. Standup guy, could've been a different story with some better teams and it sucks his best teams these past 3 seasons went to waste as he was hurt.
Palmer - I think he could've been more fringe HOF had he not gotten hurt so often early in his career. Never got a chance to truly get things rolling in Cinci.
Stafford - Stafford could eventually get to HoF status, needs to bring a SB to Detroit though, or have Brees/Brady/Favre level longevity late into his career.
Ryan - Pretty much the same story as Stafford. He has a shot, but otherwise he'll finish out with the same career as Rivers.
Flacco - His SB MVP pushes him up here to begin with. Never personally felt he belonged with the "elites". He needs another to even be considered fringe HoF
Vick - Obviously he'll never get in due to the dog-fighting stuff (And doesn't deserve to be in), but he was more of a gamechanging threat than ANYBODY on this list below Brady/Brees/Manning/Rodgers. Plus he came back from being banned and turned into a ridiculously good passer on top of his leg game.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I've defended Romo here so I'm going to say "Romo deserved more success on a different franchise that's not the fucking Cowboys"

I was really excited for Texans Romo but #mechwaswrong

But apparently being a popular Cowboys quarterback gets you a broadcasting job despite most former quarterback commentators having at least been to a Super Bowl. I can't hate too much because they apparently wanted Favre to do it also but he was just horrible at it.

Sanjuro

Peyton had no arm strength towards the end of his career, Antonio can still sling it out there with the best of them, with precision.

It's not like Kap or Cutler has a Superbowl ring, if you have offensive weapons, Romo can make way better use of them.

Peyton went to two Super Bowls with no arm. Tough to compare to Tony Romo in any conversation.

MechDX

Per @sbjsbd, Tony Romo will not just land with CBS in 2017, but also replace Phil Simms as its No. 1 color guy.

Via Breer

Pray 4 Simms

I've defended Romo here so I'm going to say "Romo deserved more success on a different franchise that's not the fucking Cowboys"

I was really excited for Texans Romo but #mechwaswrong

But apparently being a popular Cowboys quarterback gets you a broadcasting job despite most former quarterback commentators having at least been to a Super Bowl. I can't hate too much because they apparently wanted Favre to do it also but he was just horrible at it.

Romo is a natural from all accounts

Bread

Banned
I said running, he just drives now.
:jnc
Waiting for a good Dutch punchline:

DNsXXq9.jpg
:jnc

Hindl

Does Romo have an obnoxious country accent? I'm guessing not, huge upgrade.

It's not the accent for me. It's that Simms somehow manages to combine the worst, least insightful commentary of Madden and Collinsworth without having the charm of the former or the football intelligence of the latter

The Texans aren't going to score more than 20 points in any game next season. Their 3rd year QB Ben Savage has still never thrown a TD pass in his NFL career

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Round 2 begins

MyKuUvp.gif

Bitanator

End of an era Cowboys fans, Romo will be missed. I was at the 49ers game where he came back from a punctured lung and broken ribs to win the game, any doubter of his toughness were shut up, the past two years were one of the most depressing years as a Cowboy fan, 2015 because of the potential that team had, and 2016 because I realized that Romo would never wear the star again. Unfortunately did not see he get that ring to solidify himself as a elite QB, but he will hang in the ring of honor with Jason Witten.

I think this new gig will be great, will give people a chance to see his personality which is an excellent fit for TV

bionic77

Holy Crap, Predator was terrible.

Poor 80s peoples.
This is why we are fucked as a civilization.

There is something seriously wrong with the next generation. They can't even spot a good movie how the fuck can they be expected to clean up the mess made by the olds and Trumps (with a major assist to the Patriots)?

Changing gears it's hard finding Switch accessories. Took me like 5 attempts and 3 weeks before I finally got the starter Nintendo case.

Top Bottom