• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

RBH

hello, RBH, I hope you are well!

Hello, I am fine!

PsdmjJQ.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

58259475.jpg

Edit: Man I was super excited for this and it sounds even better then anyone could have expected:

"I don't have a 4K TV and I doubt I'm going to get one any time soon. Why should I care?

Microsoft has made a commitment that (unlike PS4 Pro) all improved Scorpio modes for games must be available regardless of the display that's connected. So even with a regular 1080p TV, you'll be able to choose between performance modes that make the game run better, or resolution modes that will then "supersample" the 4K image down to your 1080p display, which should give you superb image quality - basically, a fantastically smooth and pretty picture. It's like having the ultimate anti-aliasing solution.

OK, how about this: Scorpio will run absolutely all Xbox One games better, whether they get patched with 4K/Scorpio enhanced modes or not. Rather than running on an emulated Xbox One, they'll run with the full power of Scorpio unlocked, which in most cases should mean: more stable frame rates that hit their target more often; no screen tearing; maximum possible resolution at all times; nicer-looking textures; and faster load times, thanks to the improved hard drive and the spare 3GB of fast RAM.

Sounds good. What about backwards compatible Xbox 360 games? Any advantages there?

Yep, all the above. And it's worth pointing out that none of this has been easy for Microsoft to engineer. There's an impressive commitment to making as many Xbox games as possible run better than you've ever seen them before on Scorpio.

bionic77

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

58259475.jpg
How expensive do you think it will be?

Gaming side is always pretty amusing.

The console warriors and the console cheapskates are always good for a laugh.

The cheapos always want every game for $5 and every console to be less than $99. Get a second job you bums! I was laughing at people saying they would only get it at $399. That is just code for I don't really want this console but I am just going to fuck around and say it is the price or some other shit.

The warriors are just as funny because the Bone was weaker than the PS4 and for the last 2 years power did not matter. But now it is really important again because their console is far and away the most powerful on the market.

As an unbiased JCB it does seem like if you want the graphics you should get the Scorpio. This one seems way better able to handle actual 4K content than the PS Pro. I would have to imagine that all the multiplat games are going to run best on Scorpio.

Hindl

Yeah MS looks like it'll be the place for multiplatform games. Just need to bolster some of their 1st/3rd party exclusives

So we'll get increased resolution for BC titles too?

It will depend on the devs but yes increasing the resolution for 360 is one thing it will do. DF has an atricle saying that it will improve games in 5 different ways.

Performance - games will perform better. There will be far more consistent performances towards the target frame rate. Games should be locked to their highest possible resolution. Not at 4K, this will need a specific patch from the developers.
No screen tearing - Screen-tearing will be eliminated from Xbox One titles on Scorpio.
Increased texture quality - the video details examples of how the anti-aliasing has been improved to improve the visible texture qualities on Scorpio.
Game DVR - the Scorpio can do full 60FPS 4K encoding for game captures. There will be a new feature to move frame by frame to save the best screenshot.
Loading times - Scorpio's extra 31% of CPU power allows for faster loading times. 4K loading times and downloads should run faster with a wider broadband width. There is also 8GB of memory available to developers. This opens up the chance for potential issues similarly to PS4 Pro's 'Boost Mode'.

The cheapos always want every game for $5 and every console to be less than $99. Get a second job you bums! I was laughing at people saying they would only get it at $399. That is just code for I don't really want this console but I am just going to fuck around and say it is the price or some other shit.

The warriors are just as funny because the Bone was weaker than the PS4 and for the last 2 years power did not matter. But now it is really important again because their console is far and away the most powerful on the market.

As an unbiased JCB it does seem like if you want the graphics you should get the Scorpio. This one seems way better able to handle actual 4K content than the PS Pro. I would have to imagine that all the multiplat games are going to run best on Scorpio.

It is going to be $450 or $500 is my guess. They keep saying premium and the specs for it are nuts. Reading about the Forza demo they showed Df is claming that you woukld need a top of the line PC to run it, and it only used between 60% and 70% of Scorpios resources. It looks like the way that MS built this is like with the 360, where they got much better combined performance out of it compared to what you would have expected from the individual parts alone.

I think people downplayed the power difference between the PS4 and Xbox One because sony never really did anything with it. What game runs on PS4 that the One couldnt handle? Maybe sony just did a poor job of messaging that difference but I feel like it never really manifested this gen. Scorpio is going to be able to do things that the Pro just cant do, and MS seems really focused on showing off those differences. We will see though.

bionic77

It will depend on the devs but yes increasing the resolution for 360 is one thing it will do. DF has an atricle saying that it will improve games in 5 different ways.

Performance - games will perform better. There will be far more consistent performances towards the target frame rate. Games should be locked to their highest possible resolution. Not at 4K, this will need a specific patch from the developers.
No screen tearing - Screen-tearing will be eliminated from Xbox One titles on Scorpio.
Increased texture quality - the video details examples of how the anti-aliasing has been improved to improve the visible texture qualities on Scorpio.
Game DVR - the Scorpio can do full 60FPS 4K encoding for game captures. There will be a new feature to move frame by frame to save the best screenshot.
Loading times - Scorpio's extra 31% of CPU power allows for faster loading times. 4K loading times and downloads should run faster with a wider broadband width. There is also 8GB of memory available to developers. This opens up the chance for potential issues similarly to PS4 Pro's 'Boost Mode'.

It is going to be $450 or $500 is my guess. They keep saying premium and the specs for it are nuts. Reading about the Forza demo they showed Df is claming that you woukld need a top of the line PC to run it, and it only used between 60% and 70% of Scorpios resources. It looks like the way that MS built this is like with the 360, where they got much better combined performance out of it compared to what you would have expected from the individual parts alone.

I think people downplayed the power difference between the PS4 and Xbox One because sony never really did anything with it. What game runs on PS4 that the One couldnt handle? Maybe sony just did a poor job of messaging that difference but I feel like it never really manifested this gen. Scorpio is going to be able to do things that the Pro just cant do, and MS seems really focused on showing off those differences. We will see though.
:lol

You can't see it yankee but you are a console warrior that has done several tours of duty.

MechDX

http://torotimes.com/2017/04/05/houston-texans-brock-osweiler-was-never-bill-obriens-guy/

Recently, Michael Lombardi and Robert Mays talked Texans on The Ringer. Mays and Lombardi touched on the topic of the Texans trust and likability with Tom Savage.

Lombardi offered an answer to some questions regarding Osweiler in stating:

“Now, they like Tom Savage, they have liked Tom Savage ever since they’ve had him. They liked him all last summer, they liked him more last summer than they did Brock Osweiler. In fact, if it was an open competition last summer, Savage would have won the job. That’s the missing link here. They like Savage, they’re prepared to play with Savage.”

When asked why the team did not start Savage over the recently signed Brock Osweiler, Lombardi exclaimed:

“If we go back and really analyze the Brock Osweiler signing, I think Rick Smith went ahead, acted on his own as the general manager … and went ahead and signed him. … I talked to the coaches there and there wasn’t a lot of love [for Osweiler]. My sense of it is, yes you’re right, you can make that statement. But I think the general manager made this [move] more than the coaching staff in a unified decision.”

Lombardi was on local radio here in Houston on Monday saying this. I do think this is true and Lombardi is getting this from O'Brien himself. Media members and fans who attended TC last year all said Savage looked much better in practice than Oz did. Svage was BOB's guy and he is going push all his chips in on him this year

:lol

You can't see it yankee but you are a console warrior that has done several tours of duty.

I was asking a question are their games on the PS4 that couldnt be done on the XBoxOne? PS4 is 40% more powerful, right? So Sony must have done some some crazy stuff with all that extra power.

bionic77

I was asking a question are their games on the PS4 that couldnt be done on the XBoxOne? PS4 is 40% more powerful, right? So Sony must have done some some crazy stuff with all that extra power.
You got marginally better graphics.

The same thing you are going to get on Scorpio versus the Pro.

I was pointing out how hilarious it was that Boners went from power doesn't matter to now it is the most important thing ever because their console is the most powerful. It is even more hilarious because after I made that point you went and proved it.

There are no games on Scorpio that can't be done on the Xbox One. You just get the downgrade on the One but in practice I don't think the visual difference is going to be as big as you seem to think it will be (go see a video showing Horizon, the game with the best graphics on the market on the 4 versus the Pro).

These consoles are all going to be in the same ballpark, especially for the average consumer. There's a reason this reveal went to Digital Foundry.

Jarnet87

I seem to recall most of the multiplatform titles running better on 360 for the majority of the generation, less powerful but leading SKU.

bionic77

These consoles are all going to be in the same ballpark, especially for the average consumer. There's a reason this reveal went to Digital Foundry.
This is true with one exception.

Only one console out there has the power to be played in the living room, on the rooftop and in the actual fucking ballpark.

You know how we do Ninja. I see you watching us.

You got marginally better graphics.

The same thing you are going to get on Scorpio versus the Pro.

I was pointing out how hilarious it was that Boners went from power doesn't matter to now it is the most important thing ever because their console is the most powerful. It is even more hilarious because after I made that point you went and proved it.

There are no games on Scorpio that can't be done on the Xbox One. You just get the downgrade on the One but in practice I don't think the visual difference is going to be as big as you seem to think it will be (go see a video showing Horizon, the game with the best graphics on the market on the 4 versus the Pro).

I have no idea how it will all play out once it is on the market. I just know that people that saw the Forza demo that MS showed off today said it was amazing. I already mentioned that DF said to run forza with the settings that MS did on Scorpio you would need a top of the line PC. When have consoles ever been able to run games as well as the top PCs can? I think it is a bit disingenuous to say that gamers didnt care about power at the start of this gen and now the suddenly do. The extra power advantage that Sony had for whatever reason did not seem to be as big a difference as one would expect. It will be interesting to see if MS can do more with the advantage now that they have it. Maybe they wont either and this will all be for naught, who knows. It is still exciting to think we could get all the advantages of having a console and still get all the performance of a top PC.

Hindl

I seem to recall most of the multiplatform titles running better on 360 for the majority of the generation, less powerful but leading SKU.

Well that was also because of Sony's crazy Cell Processor making development a nightmare. If you dug into the SDK and really optimized your game to the Cell, it blew away the 360. See games like Uncharted and The Last of Us. But the only people taking advantage of that would be 1st party studios. 3rd parties just want it to be easy to develop for, and the 360 was way easier to develop for

I have no idea how it will all play out once it is on the market. I just know that people that saw the Forza demo that MS showed off today said it was amazing. I already mentioned that DF said to run forza with the settings that MS did on Scorpio you would need a top of the line PC. When have consoles ever been able to run games as well as the top PCs can? I think it is a bit disingenuous to say that gamers didnt care about power at the start of this gen and now the suddenly do. The extra power advantage that Sony had for whatever reason did not seem to be as big a difference as one would expect. It will be interesting to see if MS can do more with the advantage now that they have it. Maybe they wont either and this will all be for naught, who knows. It is still exciting to think we could get all the advantages of having a console and still get all the performance of a top PC.

Every console generation before the 360/PS3

And there is a power difference between the XB1 and PS4, but it wasn't enough to actually market on. If you were really into graphics then you'd tell the difference, with a game on PS4 running at 1080p vs 900p on XB1, and some minor improved textures/framerates, but that stuff doesn't really matter enough for Sony to market on

I thought there was going to be a real reveal with games.

No that is going to happen at E3, Digital Foundry is a tech analysis site. They specifically choose them because they wanted to get out the message about how impressive the tech is in this thing.

Hindl

I thought there was going to be a real reveal with games.

It was called Project Scorpio Specs Reveal and it was given to Digital Foundry, a specs and benchmarks site. Games will be at E3. I like the theory floated on the Bombcast, MS basically did this since they knew DF would probably eventually leak the specs anyway, so they just gave them it to get ahead of it.

JABEE

I wasn't following that closely. It seems to be what everyone knew in terms of power. More powerful than the Pro.

I didn't realize it was just a DF thing.

MechDX

Make the youngstas bow down to #teamolds!!

Lol me too. Say this and thought "wtf is this shit"

Because you used GAF gaming side for news

It was called Project Scorpio Specs Reveal and it was given to Digital Foundry, a specs and benchmarks site. Games will be at E3. I like the theory floated on the Bombcast, MS basically did this since they knew DF would probably eventually leak the specs anyway, so they just gave them it to get ahead of it.

This. It was never announced they would show games. Ever

Jarnet87

Anything above $399 feels like a tough sell. We saw the backlash on $499 at launch, and when you can get these base systems for $250-300 with good games included, why would anyone but the most hardcore Xbox fans go and buy a Scorpio when everything we heard is that the games won't be exclusive to it. I think the Pro is a hard sell as well at $400. Sony have said its selling well but curious to see how many units they have moved since it came out versus just the regular system over a similar amount of time year to year.

I wasn't following that closely. It seems to be what everyone knew in terms of power. More powerful than the Pro.

I didn't realize it was just a DF thing.
Yeah I haven't payed attention to any of this. Just saw the post RBH made this morning. So figured we'd at least see what it looked like.

Yeah I haven't payed attention to any of this. Just saw the post RBH made this morning. So figured we'd at least see what it looked like.

DF got to see the console and said it has a different form factor then the Xbox One or the S, but we wont know until E3. There are not going to be any Scorpio exclusive games at least not for a while, so in terms of showing games they are just going to show better looking versions of Xbox games.

Jarnet87

Sea of Thieves is the only thing I am looking forward to from 1st party MS that we know will be shown at E3 (snooze on Halo, Gears, Forza, Crackdown)

Man you guys are really sleeping on Halo. 5 was fantastic, the co-op stuff that they added after launch is a lot of fun and the core gameplay was the best of any Halo game. The problem that game had was fighting the same boss over and over and the story being really convoluted if you didnt read the books. Hopefully they fix both things for 6 but leave the core gameplay the same.

Edit: I was waiting for a nice simple graphic that breaks down some of the differences between the consoles.

ksfcohX.png

Hindl

I don't like shooters or most of EAs output so Xbox doesn't do a lot for me. Sea of thieves looks cool and obviously crackdown so I'll check those out on PC.

Top Bottom