• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

cdyhybrid

It is going to be $450 or $500 is my guess. They keep saying premium and the specs for it are nuts. Reading about the Forza demo they showed Df is claming that you woukld need a top of the line PC to run it, and it only used between 60% and 70% of Scorpios resources.
YH pls

Consoles are basically PCs that are walled off from their users. They use pretty much the exact same hardware. A top-of-the-line PC will run you far more than $400-$500. Either MS is willing to lose hundreds of dollars per console at that price point or it ain't top of the line.

A 1080ti alone costs significantly more than that, nevermind the rest of the hardware.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
YH pls

Consoles are basically PCs that are walled off from their users. They use pretty much the exact same hardware. A top-of-the-line PC will run you far more than $400-$500. Either MS is willing to lose hundreds of dollars per console at that price point or it ain't top of the line.

A 1080ti alone costs significantly more than that, nevermind the rest of the hardware.

I think that's why we all agreed yesterday that it's probably the equivalent of maybe an OC'd 1060 which would fit in the console price range.

That's still leagues beyond the standard XB1 and PS4

The 1100 series cards will come out (later this year??) and PC will have that huge gap again

YH pls

Consoles are basically PCs that are walled off from their users. They use pretty much the exact same hardware. A top-of-the-line PC will run you far more than $400-$500. Either MS is willing to lose hundreds of dollars per console at that price point our it ain't top of the line.

If you read any of the articles that DF posted they specifically mention that to get the same performance on a PC it would be extremely expensive, I blieve they mentioned you would need a 1080 specifically. The point being the way that MS is able to optimize things due to them having a closed box, allows them to get much better performance for a much cheaper price point then you can get on PC. They talked about how DX12 is baked into this will allow them to see big results. Also I just saw someone in the Scorpio thread say that MS is using what is basically a $280 graphics card, but they will buy them in bulk and have deals with who ever supplies the card to get it much cheaper then we would be able to get it from a store.

Edit: Here is an article talking about how MS gets better results then a stock PC would get:

From what I've seen so far, there is some evidence that Scorpio's true 4K performance could pose a challenge to the likes of Nvidia's GTX 1070 and AMD's Fury X-class hardware. I've seen Microsoft's new console running a Forza Motorsport 6-level experience locked to 4K60 on the equivalent to PC's ultra settings - cranking up the quality presets to obscene levels was one of the first things developer Turn 10 did when confronted with the sheer amount of headroom it had left after a straight Xbox One port. Out of interest, we tested Forza 6 Apex with similar settings at 4K on GTX 1060, 1070 and 1080. Frames were dropped on GTX 1060 (and a lot of them when wet weather conditions kicked in), while GTX 1070 held firm with only the most intense wet weather conditions causing performance dips. Only GTX 1080 held completely solid in all test cases. It's only one data point, and the extent to which the code is comparable at all is debatable, but it certainly doesn't harm Scorpio's credentials: Forza 6 Apex received plenty of praise for the quality of its PC port.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...to-a-new-level

Microsoft with dat $500 dollar DVD upscaler. I'm organizing a big party right now. Need to buy the best stool possible so I can pause my Halo game and point out to my guests how the ground textures are 37% clearer.

Project Scorpio vs PC: to-the-metal design vs sheer brute force
The closest equivalent to PlayStation 4 Pro's GPU in the PC space, in pure performance terms, is the Radeon RX 470 or an underclocked RX 480 - both mainstream graphics cards. The latter product typically overclocks to hit the same six-teraflop compute output as Project Scorpio. However, teraflop comparisons here simply do not reflect real-world results. With one or two exceptions, the 'next-gen' upscaling techniques used on PS4 Pro don't tend to exist in the PC space - and software-level PC upscalers that can produce great results still only manifest in a minority of games. On both counts, we expect things to change rapidly, but the bottom line is that right now, consoles are capable of producing some great 4K results even if the technical sleight of hand required to get there means that it's not strictly speaking a 'proper' native ultra HD resolution. This means more bang for your buck from your console purchase.

The bottom line is that Scorpio's six teraflops will almost certainly go a lot further than an equivalent PC part. I asked Microsoft about this specifically, and they raise a number of good arguments that make the case strongly. Firstly, that their shader compiler is far more efficient than PC equivalents (think of shaders as native GPU code). Secondly, addressing the hardware directly via their API and with access to console-specific GPU extensions again adds to the advantage of a fixed platform box. And finally, they point to their optimisation software - PIX (Performance Investigator for Xbox) - as a tool that provides the path to console-specific optimisations that PC simply cannot get.

From what I've seen so far, there is some evidence that Scorpio's true 4K performance could pose a challenge to the likes of Nvidia's GTX 1070 and AMD's Fury X-class hardware. I've seen Microsoft's new console running a Forza Motorsport 6-level experience locked to 4K60 on the equivalent to PC's ultra settings - cranking up the quality presets to obscene levels was one of the first things developer Turn 10 did when confronted with the sheer amount of headroom it had left after a straight Xbox One port. Out of interest, we tested Forza 6 Apex with similar settings at 4K on GTX 1060, 1070 and 1080. Frames were dropped on GTX 1060 (and a lot of them when wet weather conditions kicked in), while GTX 1070 held firm with only the most intense wet weather conditions causing performance dips. Only GTX 1080 held completely solid in all test cases. It's only one data point, and the extent to which the code is comparable at all is debatable, but it certainly doesn't harm Scorpio's credentials: Forza 6 Apex received plenty of praise for the quality of its PC port.

The bottom line: PC games need to evolve to more efficiently address 4K, in order to bring down the cost of GPU hardware to effectively and consistently power an ultra HD screen with the latest games. The best console titles have led the way here, and it's a tradition we expect to see continue on Project Scorpio. If third-party games live up to the first-party results we have seen, where 900p and 1080p games scale up to native 4K, the comparisons with PC hardware will prove absolutely fascinating. If Scorpio's GPU can hold native 4K and hand in results on par or better than GTX 1070, this is a seriously good result for a console.

Sounds good. :)

Guys!! Tannehill is putting in some off-season workouts with the team!!!

What a true leader and inspiration to the rest of the league

#FHOF
#LEGEND
#GOAT

C8voCrQUwAInI38.jpg

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
If you read any of the articles that DF posted they specifically mention that to get the same performance on a PC it would be extremely expensive, I blieve they mentioned you would need a 1080 specifically. The point being the way that MS is able to optimize things due to them having a closed box, allows them to get much better performance for a much cheaper price point then you can get on PC. They talked about how DX12 is baked into this will allow them to see big results. Also I just saw someone in the Scorpio thread say that MS is using what is basically a $280 graphics card, but they will buy them in bulk and have deals with who ever supplies the card to get it much cheaper then we would be able to get it from a store.

Edit: Here is an article talking about how MS gets better results then a stock PC would get:

This comparison would have been much more helpful in judging power if they had used Gears4. Horizon is still poorly optimized on pc relative to gears.

cdyhybrid

I think that's why we all agreed yesterday that it's probably the equivalent of maybe an OC'd 1060 which would fit in the console price range.

That's still leagues beyond the standard XB1 and PS4

The 1100 series cards will come out (later this year??) and PC will have that huge gap again

No doubt, but I would hope it's leagues beyond those since it releases later and will cost $500+. Smokey-tier it ain't.

VVV

This comparison would have been much more helpful in judging power if they had used Gears4. Horizon is still poorly optimized on pc relative to gears.

Isnt the point that they were able to get this great performance from Forza at super high end settings with only 2 days work when on PC it would be hard to get these same results.

cdyhybrid

Isnt the point that they were able to get this great performance from Forza at super high end settings with only 2 days work when on PC it would be hard to get these same results.

They ran code meant for the Scorpio on a PC with zero optimization. The actual PC version would be optimized and would probably be coded differently (unless the devs don't give a fuck about PC, that is).

You can do anything on a PC that you can do on a Scorpio.

They ran code meant for the Scorpio on a PC with zero optimization. The actual PC version would be optimized and would probably be coded differently (unless the devs don't give a fuck about PC, that is).

You can do anything on a PC that you can do on a Scorpio

Of course, but for what cost?

Edit: According to DF they choose Forza 6 Apex edition because it had a very good PC port:

It's only one data point, and the extent to which the code is comparable at all is debatable, but it certainly doesn't harm Scorpio's credentials: Forza 6 Apex received plenty of praise for the quality of its PC port.

cdyhybrid

Of course, but for what cost?

Edit: According to DF they choose Forza 6 Apex edition because it had a very good PC port:

It literally says right there in your quote:

extent to which the code is comparable at all is debatable

And cost is irrelevant if we're talking top-of-the-line. If Scorpio is a Ross-Dress-For-Less modern PC that's still way better than the other consoles, but it ain't top of the line.

They don't give giraffes to slackers.

It is amusing to watch through. Not persuasive but definitely amusing to see him trying so hard.

Graphics really matter now guys! Trust me!

If one console gets better graphics then yes it matters. If they both stay the same then it really isnt a differentiator. Graphics are a tiny thing anyway though, I am excited to get a 4k TV at some point and it will be nice to have a console to take advantage of it, but games like the new Zelda show if you make a great game people dont care what resolution it runs at.

Jarnet87

Car games are always the go to game to show graphics, nothing new to see here. They always look great to start a generation and by the next gen they just look laughable

Project Gotham Racing 3 the 🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐
Plus I could connect my iPod and listen to my own tracks instead of the games soundtrack was amazing 😎

Dutch doin' thangs

Thongs?

I'm proud of my brother Dutch Patriot

A) for landing gainful employment

and

B) Learning the no.1 lesson of job seeking: Leverage every available contact and resource. Even if they're blood!

YOLO

Congrats! This seems like a good stepping stone for maybe getting a job based on merit someday.

Better than sitting in bed all day getting welfare checks because of your "medical condition", fatty.

Congrats.

Yo see if your dad can get me a job for the Lakers in the front office.

They need my help.

I will work for a measly $500k a year.

You just wanna look into Magic his eyes all day.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
In that thread they also say that they turned up the LoD all the way and also had full physics turned on for all the cars, 2 things which people normally wouldnt do on PC. It is crazy to me that games that are already out are going to get that big of a boost. I cant wait to see what future games wind up looking like.

Being able to optimize for the platform really can help, so it's not surprising. Devs can get complacent on the PC front and just go "eh, if people want higher settings they can upgrade down the road and brute force it."

dionysus

Yaldog
Question about that screenshot? Do graphics engines rerender everything every frame when things are not moving. If they don't, isn't it misleading?

Impressive:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1358501

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8u0qKzUMAEJkgH.jpg[mg][/QUOTE]

Purdy! If there was a PGR I would buy it in a heartbeat.

[quote="cdyhybrid, post: 233481688"]Who's older - Josh Dobbs, or Scooter/DM/bionic combined?[/QUOTE]

Not to be a cunt, but is he ill?

[img]http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/600/img/photos/2015/07/14/7c/6d/Dobbs-SEC-.jpg

Bread

Banned
What can i say MS has shown us that they are the masters of X86 hardware and to use the same hardware as in PS4 the PLAYERS money was a TKO. For MS to put it's own IP in the SOC was a TKO. Think about it, Sony will have to pay more for a CPU to match MS DX12 IP that Sony can never use in it's hardware. PS5 with Ryzen next XBOX with Ryzen + DX12 IP. 6TF in a console will match a GTX 1080 in it's highest setting, and that's from only 40 CUs. Forza 7, FH4 and the next Halo all at 4K 60FPS. Take my MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

"If PC players are the master race then console players are there GOD!"

I like that saying!

6TF PC bad...
6TF Scorpio GOOD! 4K/60fps with 30-40% overhead left.
yankee pls

cdyhybrid

God does he have progeria?

There is no damn way he is 22. Also, if you check out old pictures of him, what the hell was he thinking with those hair cuts?

Purdy! If there was a PGR I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Not to be a cunt, but is he ill?

Dobbs-SEC-.jpg

VVV

Pretty sure he has alopecia

He's a rocket scientist though, so he's roughly one trillion times smarter than Jared Goff.

Top Bottom