• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Training Camp/Preseason |OT| - If you don't like it, you should have made it

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Trying not to spill too much serious talk from the Houston flood here but

https://twitter.com/BrazoriaCounty/status/902539081841827842

Dega lives in Brazoria County. This cant be real

I am seriously about lo lose it FUCK YOU HARVEY!

EDIT: he just posted in the storm thread thinks he is fine. Nothing can get our killer, Whataburger eating Corgi
I love 2000 miles away and even I am getting nervous watching this neverending rain.

It must be fucking torture to live in Houston with that uncertainty.

Lets all pray that it stops raining soon so the cleanup can start and that no one dies or gets hurt from all this bullshit.

Draxal

I love 2000 miles away and even I am getting nervous watching this neverending rain.

It must be fucking torture to live in Houston with that uncertainty.

Lets all pray that it stops raining soon so the cleanup can start and that no one dies or gets hurt from all this bullshit.

The picture he posted of the San Jacinto highway was wtf.

WedgeX

Banned
Stay safe, Texas-NFL-GAF.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Lions and Matthew Stafford agreed to five-year contract expected to make him highest paid player in NFL history, a team source told ESPN.

xWtb5dP.jpg

Hwm44Sl.gif

88r0O10.gif

mIV0PZn.gif

The biggest contract for the biggest QB

xgy8EB0.jpg

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/902348222009573377

Congrats Kas

BREAKING: Lions & Matthew Stafford Agree To Five-Year Contract To Make Him Highest Paid Player In NFL History https://t.co/DOHNZ1yPMW https://t.co/C9026eAbA4

Stafford not only going to Sizzler hes buying them

f9MNgIG.gif

Florio said today that the Lions could have gone the Cousins route with Stafford. They could have used year to year tags to lock him up for 4 years and only paid him $120m during those 4 years. The best part for them would have been in that case if he got hurt of his play fell off they would not have been on the hook for anymore years.

The joke is they're not going to win a Super Bowl. Who they start or pay is meaningless, and the fact is if Stafford retired tomorrow they'd make him pay back the signing bonus, just like they made Megatron

They probably aren't. But if you are working in the Lions (or any other NFL teams') front office) are you going to constantly blow it up and suck until the next Peyton Manning comes along?

They probably aren't. But if you are working in the Lions (or any other NFL teams') front office) are you going to constantly blow it up and suck until the next Peyton Manning comes along?

I don't think they should have blown it up either but they should have gone year to year with Stafford while trying their best to get a good QB to replace him. Maybe next year you draft someone and then you let them sit behind Matt for a year and hope they develop. In that case you only have to pay Stafford for 2 years rather then 4.

Outside of being stuck with Matt Stafford, the deal is good for Detroit now that we have the details. Stafford got $60.5m guaranteed spread over 5 years and he is totally cuttable in 2020.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'll be sad to see Joe Haden leave. I understand why though don't get me wrong.

Just like how I fell in love with the sexy arm cannon of Derek Anderson I remember Joe Haden basically being the first draft pick the Browns took that I knew what he could bring.

Florio said today that the Lions could have gone the Cousins route with Stafford. They could have used year to year tags to lock him up for 4 years and only paid him $120m during those 4 years. The best part for them would have been in that case if he got hurt of his play fell off they would not have been on the hook for anymore years.

Would you even want to tie up your franchise tag like that?

Hunter S.

The joke is they're not going to win a Super Bowl. Who they start or pay is meaningless, and the fact is if Stafford retired tomorrow they'd make him pay back the signing bonus, just like they made Megatron
Meh, this is the same trash everyone said about Manning and the Broncos. Two Super Bowl appearances happened and another mvp and you all shut up. Grow some positivity. It is not funny.

Zeke

That Stafford ot thread is a shithole. Lol at Nflgaf scaring posters away. I need a kas hot take on this situation.

Striker

I saw that Owamagbe Odighizuwa is getting suspended. I wonder if that's why he was so hesitant to hit the OTA's. Either way, his shot was slim as is and this is the nail in the coffin. Really poor draft selection in the 3rd from Reese, though he seemed to have good potential coming out.
Has been released.

Tankard

See the reactions from Detroit fans everywhere, they are happy, it's what they wanted to happen and i'm sure it's enough for their higher ups for now. If Stafford doesn't improve on playoffs for the next 2/3 years there are terrible teams like mine who would be very tempted trading for him because they don't have any better.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Schefty twitter:

49ers trading TE Vance McDonald and a fifth-round pick to the Steelers for a fourth-round pick, per sources. Steelers upgrade TE.

Fmt, I need a scouting report. Stat!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Schefty twitter:

49ers trading TE Vance McDonald and a fifth-round pick to the Steelers for a fourth-round pick, per sources. Steelers upgrade TE.

Baalke signed him to a ridiculous extension as his last major GM action before being fired.

Doomsayer

Schefty twitter:

He's really fast, probably one of the faster TE's in the game rright now. He also has extremely inconsistent hands and drops really easy passes.

Overall he's a decent tight end but his contract is insane. For a 4th rounder you guys did alright.

Line_HTX

My wife's brother is in Houston.

Apparently they live near some bayou or something in Sugar Land and have been watching it every day because it gets closer to flooding.

Kind of crazy that rain can cause so much damage. You never think twice about rain, but its insane how the hurricane just basically sat on the city for 4 straight days and it rained so much that it is wrecking the city.

I wonder if they are going to start engineering cities to handle natural disasters better now that climate change is a reality.

In any event, stay safe Houstoners.

Where in Sugar Land? I've been watching the Brazos River the past two days also, though honestly I'm stuck as is everyone on my block even if we wanted to leave.

there are terrible teams like mine who would be very tempted trading for him because they don't have any better.

Which team do you like?

Because my team's current QB situation is Joe Fucked-Up Back, Ryan Mallett (thank you Mech), and a guy whose NFL experience is Bears Practice Squad and Bills Offseason Roster Member, and I'm on the record right now saying I prefer this fucked situation over having any year of Stafford on the depth chart

Schefty twitter:

If he had hands, he'd be a top 10-15 TE. He's big, fast and a good blocker. But his hands are worse than VDs. Maybe he will turn a corner. I liked him!

I have never seen so many people defend Stafford in my life. Where is kas for his moment of glory?

He has been in the league for 8 fucking years and has 0 playoff wins and a has never won a game against a team with a winning record on the road. I really do get that football is a team game but at somepoint you have to make a play to elevate your teammates. Fuck that cowboys game a few years ago was totally winnable and he fumbled on the final drive. Man the kas' of the world are winning.

dionysus

Yaldog
So the Saints defense hasn't given up a point yet in this preseason. I am trying to ignore the hype but I think I am failing.

I keep telling myself we have't played any competent offenses yet, not sure about the Chargers, and no offenses are scheming yet vs. our defense.

But at a minimum this means at least we finally have decent fundamentals and athleticism across the depth chart. I hope at least. Biggest improvement so far is definitely at the LB position followed by CBs.

Tankard

Which team do you like?

Because my team's current QB situation is Joe Fucked-Up Back, Ryan Mallett (thank you Mech), and a guy whose NFL experience is Bears Practice Squad and Bills Offseason Roster Member, and I'm on the record right now saying I prefer this fucked situation over having any year of Stafford on the depth chart

Jaguars.

This fanbase would love a guy like Stafford, we aren't even close to being a playoff team, you guys won the Super Bowl not long ago. Teams like the Jags, the Browns, would do as trade for him in a heartbeat.

Flacco will be fine.

bionic77

Where in Sugar Land? I've been watching the Brazos River the past two days also, though honestly I'm stuck as is everyone on my block even if we wanted to leave.
Some suburb of Houston.

The city is so fucking big I really have no sense of direction there.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Thanks for the replies. Regarding the contract, from Caplan:

While McDonald is signed through 2021, PIT can get out of his deal if they cut him by 4/1/2018. $3.7m for 2018 becomes fully gtd on 4/1.

I'm guessing the 9er's are eating the signing bonus. Great trade if so.

Hindl

#blessed

What's the timeline on Jones look like?
Recovery is going well from reports and if he's on schedule, he can start practicing in October. The question is if they play him his rookie year. He's missed all of OTAs, training camp and preseason and half the season. Even healthy Rookie CBs in general need some time to adjust, and considering he'll be working on getting back into shape and understanding the playbook, there's some people that think he'll just be stashed on IR so he can be 100% healed in 2018 and not have his confidence shaken. Plus if he doesn't play this year, then in 4 years he'll be a restricted FA instead of a full FA. On the other hand, people close to him say he's basically dying to get back on the field and play this year, but the coaching staff hasn't said their plans yet. I think they'll decide around the bye if the team is making a playoff push, and work him in as a rotational piece if they are. If the season is looking dire they'll probably just IR him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom