• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Training Camp/Preseason |OT| - If you don't like it, you should have made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
*screams

So I didn't post it yesterday because there wasn't much context. So last night Grossi tweeted Haden and his agent drew met with the browns before the Tampa game. So maybe more going on here. Maybe they asked for a trade who knows, but probably more here. Anyway Joe was a great guy for the community while here

Alot of browns fans no longer have jerseys to wear. Time for the discount Trich fits

Edit: or the meeting could just br courtesy to let him know trade or cut

The dream is dead.

Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet
Source: The #Browns have cut Joe Haden.
:(

*screams

So I didn't post it yesterday because there wasn't much context. So last night Grossi tweeted Haden and his agent drew met with the browns before the Tampa game. So maybe more going on here. Maybe they asked for a trade who knows, but probably more here. Anyway Joe was a great guy for the community while here

Alot of browns fans no longer have jerseys to wear. Time for the discount Trich fits

Edit: or the meeting could just br courtesy to let him know trade or cut
I have my Winslow Jr jersey

gutshot

How much cap space do the Eagles have right now? I wouldn't mind splashing some of that on a one-year deal for Haden. Haden and Darby as starting CBs, Jenkins and McLeod at safety, Brooks/Douglas/Jones at nickel is a decent secondary. Add in that front 7 and the Eagles defense could be really, really good.

Pepiope

How much cap space do the Eagles have right now? I wouldn't mind splashing some of that on a one-year deal for Haden. Haden and Darby as starting CBs, Jenkins and McLeod at safety, Brooks/Douglas/Jones at nickel is a decent secondary. Add in that front 7 and the Eagles defense could be really, really good.
I think we have 13 or 14 million free. Howie did some work.

jbug617

Banned
New Orleans makes the most sense. If Haden was spiteful he would sign with the Steelers.

Haden on the Pats would be our #4 CB (Gilmore, Butler and Rowe ahead of him)

Fox318

How the hell did that Stafford thread hit 8 pages?

image.php

New Orleans makes the most sense. If Haden was spiteful he would sign with the Steelers.

Haden on the Pats would be our #4 CB (Gilmore, Butler and Rowe ahead of him)
Naw he has no reason to be spiteful. Seems like a mutual thing. We treat them good in Cleve. He didn't get "IT'd" that's what the kids are calling it. Not my words

Hindl

12.5M so we could do it, but I wouldn't. We have under $1M in cap space next year and have a lot of FA to resign. I'd rather roll over the cap space than sign an aging vet for a year or two. Plus that's a move I'd make if the eagles were a CB away from the SB and they're not. So doesn't make a lot of sense

gutshot

12.5M so we could do it, but I wouldn't. We have under $1M in cap space next year and have a lot of FA to resign. I'd rather roll over the cap space than sign an aging vet for a year or two. Plus that's a move I'd make if the eagles were a CB away from the SB and they're not. So doesn't make a lot of sense

Right. But if it is a one year deal, wouldn't he come off the books for next season and next year's cap space would still be the same? I'm not sure how that all works tbh.

Hindl

Right. But if it is a one year deal, wouldn't he come off the books for next season and next year's cap space would still be the same? I'm not sure how that all works tbh.
Next seasons cap would be the same, right. But excess cap from this year gets rolled over to the next year. So right now we have $12M this year and like $1M next year, for a total of $13M before vet cuts next off-season. Let's say Haden gets an $8M deal, then only $4M rolls over and we only have $5M next year. If we don't sign anyone else and make some easy cuts next off-season (Celek, Kendricks, Curry, etc) they could get to around $29M, which should be enough for bradham, Jeffery, and jernigan. But we need the cap we currently have to roll over to do it

gutshot

No. You can add unused monies to the cap in the future.

Next seasons cap would be the same, right. But excess cap from this year gets rolled over to the next year. So right now we have $12M this year and like $1M next year, for a total of $13M before vet cuts next off-season. Let's say Haden gets an $8M deal, then only $4M rolls over and we only have $5M next year. If we don't sign anyone else and make some easy cuts next off-season (Celek, Kendricks, Curry, etc) they could get to around $29M, which should be enough for bradham, Jeffery, and jernigan. But we need the cap we currently have to roll over to do it

Ah OK. We definitely want to be able to extend and resign our guys. And reading up more on Haden, sounds like he is already on the downside of his career.

On a related note, the Eagles just freed up an extra $1m in cap space this year by cutting Ron Brooks. I guess Robinson will be the nickel/slot DB.

Hindl

Ah OK. We definitely want to be able to extend and resign our guys. And reading up more on Haden, sounds like he is already on the downside of his career.

On a related note, the Eagles just freed up an extra $1m in cap space this year by cutting Ron Brooks. I guess Robinson will be the nickel/slot DB.
Yeah he's struggled with injuries and such too. And the Eagles have a crazy amount of free agents next year, like 17 of them, so we'll need all the cap space we can get. We'll need to hit on the draft next year pretty hard to make up for all the depth and role players leaving. Ron Brooks getting cut isn't too surprising, he's barely been healthy. And I could see Robinson getting cut too, I think they brought in McDougal to be the slot corner. Or at least he'll be the backup and we might see competition there.

Just realizing we're gonna see a ton of players get cut in the next few days. Jumping from 90 to 53 all at once is pretty crazy

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Josina Anderson‏Verified account @JosinaAnderson 4m4 minutes ago

Sounds like the #Steelers are showing strong interest in Joe Haden now, based on messages to my phone.

MechDX

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account
@RapSheet
Following
More
From @MikeGarafolo & me: The #Texans vs #Cowboys preseason game for Thursday in Arlington has been canceled.
10:34 AM - 30 Aug 2017

Good. The players dont need to be dealing with this with what is going on in Houston

Naw he has no reason to be spiteful. Seems like a mutual thing. We treat them good in Cleve. He didn't get "IT'd" that's what the kids are calling it. Not my words
That's good. I would be happy if

Josina Anderson‏Verified account @JosinaAnderson 4m4 minutes ago

Sounds like the #Steelers are showing strong interest in Joe Haden now, based on messages to my phone.

Schefter says that the Steelers are favs to sign Haden
This is your fault BG..

Slo

Finally, a solution for a broke Browns fan
all of them
who needs a jersey of this week's starting QB, whoever it might be.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/e-com...vcs-nfl-players-sports-jersey-rental-startup/

A new Seattle startup backed by top venture capital investors and NFL stars is looking to change the way sports fans pay for jerseys with an e-commerce rental model that proved successful for tech companies like Netflix and Gamefly.

Led by CEO Brian Watkins, a long-time Seattle entrepreneur with leadership experience at places like Nordstrom, Ritani, Blue Nile, and Wetpaint, the new startup offers a sports jersey rental service that charges customers $19.95 per month ($16.95 for youth sizes) in exchange for selected jerseys that show up at your doorstep. When a fan wants something else, they simply send back their jersey and receive another a few days later. Rep The Squad handles the sourcing, shipping, and cleaning of jerseys from its warehouse in Seattle.

The idea is to give sports fans flexibility when it comes to repping their favorite team or player. High-quality authentic jerseys can cost upwards of $200 — a hefty investment that can feel especially painful when a player is traded to a new team, or when your child grows out of his or her size within months.

What happens with Haden's contract if somebody tries to sign him? Is it a Revis situation where, if a team doesn't offer X amount, he's better off just not playing because it would be an actual pay cut vs staying unsigned?

Cowboys should definitely be making a push for him. That secondary needs to at least TRY. Even if he's just a shadow of his former self he'd still be the #1 corner on that team...

Zeke

I'm shocked they canceled that game. Last I read they dropped ticket prices to 25 bucks with the money going towards relief efforts.

gutshot

Cian Fahey wrote up a QB ranking I'm sure yall will love: http://presnapreads.com/2017/08/29/nfl-quarterback-tiers-evaluations-ahead-of-the-2017-season/

Let the hot takes flow! Teaser:

2. Cam
4. Luck
7. Mariota
9. Matt Ryan
11. Bradford
16. Carr
18. Kaepernick
20. Dalton
21. Cousins
26. Flacco

I agree completely with Kaep over Dalton, for the record

Fahey is such a Wentz hater. It's ridiculous. His arguments don't even make any sense.

He compares him unfavorably to Bortles and says he is only a few months younger. As if age is the only determining factor on whether or not one can improve. This completely ignores the fact that Wentz, despite being close in age to Bortles, has markedly less experience. The guy started something like 15(?) games in college and didn't even get that many reps in TC and the preseason due to being 3rd QB on the depth chart. But yet we are supposed to assume he won't develop any further now because he is close in age to Blake Bortles? That is fucking dumb. This whole point he tries to make is much more an indictment on Bortles, who after 3 years in the league is still a mess, than it is a valid criticism of Wentz.

Then he goes on to explain in detail Wentz's big issue, which is his footwork. OK, I defer to him on this because he has presumably watched the film and certainly knows more about QB footwork than I do. He says at the top of the paragraph that it is not something that a QB can typically improve. But he concedes that Wentz's footwork in the first 3 weeks of the season was good, but declined later in the season. OK, so it's almost like he was coached on good footwork in the offseason but then regressed to old habits as the season wore on? And that that seems to indicate that those old habits can be eliminated completely with more practice? To that end, Wentz spent part of the offseason with QB guru Adam Dedeaux, a guy who has been credited as helping Drew Brees and Tom Brady improve in the past. They worked on his throwing mechanics and, I'm sure, his footwork. Time will tell if those old habits can be erased with enough practice and reps. Wentz and the Eagles sure are working their hardest on doing so. But to suggest that it is impossible is just asinine.

TL;DR Wentz is not Bortles, just because they are similar in age. Yes, he had poor footwork the latter part of last season but both him and the Eagles realize that and have attempted to correct it in the off-season. Suggesting he is just not going to improve from his rookie season is dumb, especially when you are talking about a guy thrown into the starting spot with very limited experience.

BigAT

What happens with Haden's contract if somebody tries to sign him? Is it a Revis situation where, if a team doesn't offer X amount, he's better off just not playing because it would be an actual pay cut vs staying unsigned?

Cowboys should definitely be making a push for him. That secondary needs to at least TRY. Even if he's just a shadow of his former self he'd still be the #1 corner on that team...

I believe the Browns are on the hook for up to $4 million, which gets deferred if he signs with another team. So the Browns don't owe him anything if he signs for more than $4M, but if it's less the Browns pay the difference to bump it up to $4M.

Has anywhere hear used kodi to watch out of market NFL games? I am trying to come up with something for this season and I am wondering how well this would work. I saw that you can get a jailbroken fire stick online pretty cheap and it runs kodi, and the site claims that it gives you access to all out of market NFL games but I am not sure if I trust it.

MechDX

I'm shocked they canceled that game. Last I read they dropped ticket prices to 25 bucks with the money going towards relief efforts.

if people were buying tickets for charitable reasons they can still take that money and donate it after they get their refund

Watch interviews with Texan players. This mess here is effecting them greatly no need for a final pre season game.

As for week 1 of the season. I was all for swapping home/away dates with the Jags but I now feel Houston NEEDS this game. Similar to how New Orleans needed the Saints to play after Katrina. Just a 3 hour distraction on a single Sunday but a distraction none the less

Has anywhere hear used kodi to watch out of market NFL games? I am trying to come up with something for this season and I am wondering how well this would work. I saw that you can get a jailbroken fire stick online pretty cheap and it runs kodi, and the site claims that it gives you access to all out of market NFL games but I am not sure if I trust it.

The only thing I've heard is that the wifi on those can be terrible. Get the box if you can to jack straight into Ethernet.

MechDX

Greg Cumberland‏
@greg_cumberland
Follow
More
Replying to @MikeGarafolo @nflnetwork
All other preseason games should be cancelled also. Competitive advantage that these 2 teams get extra week off.

I wish I knew who this guy was because he needs to punched in the damn face

Draxal

I'm not sure if there's an NFLgaf discord, but you should talk about it there.

Don't want Xia to come on down hard on us.

Zeke

if people were buying tickets for charitable reasons they can still take that money and donate it after they get their refund

Watch interviews with Texan players. This mess here is effecting them greatly no need for a final pre season game.

As for week 1 of the season. I was all for swapping home/away dates with the Jags but I now feel Houston NEEDS this game. Similar to how New Orleans needed the Saints to play after Katrina. Just a 3 hour distraction on a single Sunday but a distraction none the less
I hope those folks donate. I'm gonna go donate some clothes and money once payday rolls around. Gonna try to make it down to the coast once Harvey fucks completely off I want to help with relief efforts down there. I'm also part of a student club at my school so I'm going to try and see if we can throw a fundraiser together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom