• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Training Camp/Preseason |OT| - If you don't like it, you should have made it

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

Fuck Bob McNair

He should use the money he sends to PACs that deny climate change and elect idiots to help the people of Houston.

There's one or two good comments about this in the WYTS today

Remember when he tried to donate $10k to kill HERO

I have never agreed with McNairs political views but right now the city needs help badly. The dollar estimates for rebuilding are exceeding Katrina I believe

They are still rescuing people as of today and will be through the weekend if not longer

Really surprised Haden got signed so quickly. Also didn't know he was only 28 until today. Always thought he was 30+ already.

Also that Rodgers article is pretty great. Just got a chance to read it in full. Growing up in private catholic schools and having my world views totally change throughout my life I really get what he's saying in parts of it. It makes sense that he doesn't talk to his family much if that's what they're about.

Gigglepoo

@RapSheet: The #Packers are signing LB Ahmad Brooks to a 1-year deal that can be worth up to $5M, source said. Another(!) GB free agent signing coming.

giphy.webp

That's my Super Bowl pick!

JABEE

Aaron Rodgers is saying Kaepernick should be in the league and is not because of his protest.

ESPN said:
Rodgers has said he envies the NBA's culture, which enables athletes to speak more freely about social issues. "The guys who are most vocal in the NBA are the best players," he says. When I point out that he obviously falls into that category for the NFL, he says he believes that he can say what he wants but that it has to feel "authentic." He mentions that he's interested in taking on a role in the players' union (he used to be a players' rep), leveraging his unique position to strengthen their cause.

I ask him why he thinks the NFL is more restrictive than the NBA, and he points to the structural differences between the sports: specifically, the absence of guaranteed contracts in football. "[In the NFL], if you're on the street, you're not getting paid unless you have some sort of bonus that goes into another year. So there's less incentive to keep a guy, which gives you less job security. Less job security means you've got to play the game within the game a little tighter to the vest," he says. "Part of it has a really great nature to it -- being a good teammate, being a professional -- the other part is not being a distraction. And I use 'distraction' as more of a league term."

We talk about his friend and former Cal teammate, recently retired Patriots and Chiefs lineman Ryan O'Callaghan, who came out as gay in June. In an interview on OutSports.com, O'Callaghan described how he feared coming out, even contemplating suicide for years. "I'm incredibly proud of him," Rodgers says. "I know he had a lot of fear about it, and how he would be accepted, and how people would change around him. I think society is finally moving in the right direction, as far as treating all people with respect and love and acceptance and appreciation. And the locker room, I think the sport is getting closer."

He adds that players like O'Callaghan worry about retribution not only from their teammates but also from executives, again pointing to the absence of guaranteed contracts. "There's a fear of job security," he says. "If you have a differing opinion, differing sexual orientation, they can get rid of you. So is it better just to be quiet and not ever say anything? And not risk getting cut, with people saying: 'Well, it's because you can't play'?"

ESPN said:
I bring up Colin Kaepernick. It's July, and the media are still speculating as to why Kaepernick isn't on an NFL roster after kneeling during the national anthem last season to protest racial inequity in policing. The word "blackballed" is being used with greater frequency, though some people in and around the NFL maintain that the quarterback simply isn't very good. I ask Rodgers what he thinks, and he demurs at first, then says it would be "ignorant" to suggest Kaepernick's stance didn't play a role in his employment status.

A few weeks later, he reaffirms his point. "I think he should be on a roster right now," he says. "I think because of his protests, he's not."

Rodgers tells me that while he doesn't plan on sitting out the anthem, he believes the protests -- which he describes as peaceful and respectful -- are positive, mentioning that he's had conversations with a new teammate, tight end Martellus Bennett, about the issues they represent. "I'm gonna stand because that's the way I feel about the flag -- but I'm also 100 percent supportive of my teammates or any fellow players who are choosing not to," he says. "They have a battle for racial equality. That's what they're trying to get a conversation started around."

I ask him what he thinks about that battle -- the actual subject of Kaepernick's protest. As always, he pauses to collect his thoughts. "I think the best way I can say this is: I don't understand what it's like to be in that situation. What it is to be pulled over, or profiled, or any number of issues that have happened, that Colin was referencing -- or any of my teammates have talked to me about." He adds that he believes it's an area the country needs to "remedy and improve" and one he's striving to better understand. "But I know it's a real thing my black teammates have to deal with."

When Rodgers explains how his worldview has evolved over the past six years, he says he has grown better at seeking out people with backgrounds different from his. He doesn't offer many examples, but Packers receiver Randall Cobb, one of Rodgers' best friends in Green Bay (he was recently a groomsman in Cobb's wedding), describes the quarterback as a "sponge" in all matters, including social issues. "As we've grown closer, I've been able to give him the perspective of a black man who grew up in the South and opened his eyes to the challenges in my life," Cobb says. He adds: "Football is one of the things we rarely talk about when we're outside the building."

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...y-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-unmasked-searching

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Okay let me see here for me I say:

Pop --- actually just last weekend cousin from New York came to visit, my mom asked her if she wanted a "pop" and she didn't understand until I said "mom means do you want a soda"
Dinner
Toque
Pencil Crayons
Not opulent enough to have garbage disposal or garburator whatever it's called.
Cottage
Hoodie of course wtf is a bunny hug?!?
I grew up on both names Kickball and Soccer Baseball...so dunno.
Rest are whatever

But definitely correct it's Toronto where you don't pronounce the last T. That's how you know if someone is from here or not.

I think I just realized I never pronounce the second T. Weird

You're saying it right my friend.

No, they would still owe him/have a cap hit for any guaranteed money, or bonuses that were spread across the duration of the contract.

No. Still owe 4. Steelers will pay 3. Not sure about how that works with the cap.
Thank you

Holy shit we got something of adequate value for Cam Irving? :eek:
Right?

DiPo and Sashi doing it

Right. Ya'll still have dead money on the books from his signing bonus, but his cap hit is now 4 million less for this year.
Gotcha

2qc14s9-vi.gif

ProFootballTalk‏Verified account @ProFootballTalk 51m51 minutes ago
The CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats worked out Johnny Manziel and concluded he's not ready to play, physically or mentally
Isn't this the same team that hired Art Brilles earlier this week, and than seemed to fire him because of the outrage? 🤔🤔🤔
ProFootballTalk‏Verified account @ProFootballTalk 26s26 seconds ago

Browns trade Cameron Erving to Chiefs

e -

Andrew Siciliano‏Verified account @AndrewSiciliano 6m6 minutes ago
Danny Shelton is the only Browns 1st round pick left on the roster from the 2009-2015 @NFL Drafts.
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fire-ray-farmer
The #Browns offered to cut CB Joe Haden's pay from $11M to $7M, source said. He ends up making exactly that with the #Steelers in year 1.
Adam Schefter
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Steelers CB Joe Haden had bigger offers from other teams that he turned down because he wanted Pittsburgh. Haden a Steeler.
Screen_Shot_2016-08-01_at_12.34.21_PM.0.0.png

*Shot out to Floy Boy for making my multi quote game Stronk 💯🔥

Line_HTX

Aaron Wilson‏ @AaronWilson_NFL 2m2 minutes ago

NFL announces Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict suspension reduced to three games, originally was five games

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Same reason your mom loves my face I guess

Alright, that's enough of that.

Which segues into this question - we doing the whole "first few weeks of the season, threads go into OT" thing again? The college football thread is already doing that with their week 1 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom