• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Conference Championships |OT| MS Paint edition because of lazy/busy hipsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

You guys do realize Tom Brady is going to be 37 years old when the season starts right? Same time the 49ers moved on from Montana, Packers moved on from Favre, Denver moved on from Elway (he was 38 I think).

Acting like it's the furthest thing in the world from happening is hilarious. What's his cap number next year, something like $17m? Lots of money to pay a game manager who leans on LaGarrette Blount for success.
Do you think the Patriots would cut someone like Brady without a clear heir apparent? I understand time marches on but I don't believe they would cut Brady after a relatively successful season no matter what his cap hit is.

The Montana and Favre moves were made with Young and Rodgers waiting in the wings. Both were made with a lot of controversy. Is Mallett ready to be the guy who replaces Tom Brady? Would Kraft cut Brady after this season? This season, for the most part is considered by New England as a gift with all the major injuries they suffered and the offense that Bradywaas given.

eznark

Banned
Not a huge Pats fan, but to say Brady hasn't done anything all year is just ridiculous.

He has played progressively poorer each of the last four years, which honestly is to be expected of a guy past his mid-30's. If I'm the Patriots I either hand the team to Mallet (if they have liked him as much as they claim over the last few years) or I move Mallet and draft one of the QB's who is likely to Fraudgers in the draft.

Can they win the AFC East with him? Of course. Can they win the Super Bowl with him? Are they a good enough team that they can overcome another decline in his performance?

I don't think so. Time to make the hard decision, like our hero Ted Thompson did.

That two point play has me a bit curious. When is the last time the game was on the line and the Patriots decided to take the ball out of Brady's hands?

Belichick has been hiding Brady all season. He knows he can't get it done anymore. Brady faltered with the ball in his hands against the Panthers and Dolphins. Those are games the Pats win just a season ago.

Dutch will be mad since this is coming from me, but I absolutely think the Patriots start looking for a QB this offseason.

njean777

Do you think the Patriots would cut someone like Brady without a clear heir apparent? I understand time marches on but I don't believe they would cut Brady after a relatively successful season no matter what his cap hit is.

The Montana and Favre moves were made with Young and Rodgers waiting in the wings. Both were made with a lot of controversy. Is Mallett ready to be the guy who replaces Tom Brady? Would Kraft cut Brady after this season that for the most part is considered by New England as a gift considering the major injuries they suffered and the offense that Brady is working with.

I was amazed they even made it as far as they did with the offense they had, I do not think that could have been done by anybody but Tom Brady, and maybe Manning.

He has played progressively poorer each of the last four years, which honestly is to be expected of a guy past his mid-30's. If I'm the Patriots I either hand the team to Mallet (if they have liked him as much as they claim over the last few years) or I move Mallet and draft one of the QB's who is likely to Fraudgers in the draft.

Can they win the AFC East with him? Of course. Can they win the Super Bowl with him? Are they a good enough team that they can overcome another decline in his performance?

I don't think so. Time to make the hard decision, like our hero Ted Thompson did.

Yet still this year Brady has made huge comebacks and won games with a middling offense. No other team (sans the colts) have done this. You cannot say he hast done anything all year, he has been that clutch QB he has always been. He has consistently made it to the playoffs almost every year, and even though he hasn't won a SB in awhile, he isn't a bad QB at all.

eznark

Banned
ibmZbQzzp045YF.gif

Talamius

I actually agree with ez on Brady. Brady can still win (similar to Montana at the end of his run), but in the unlikely event that a good offer came in they need to consider it. Pats need to start looking for their QB of the future.

Caja 117

Thats statistically incorrect.

squicken

You guys do realize Tom Brady is going to be 37 years old when the season starts right? Same time the 49ers moved on from Montana, Packers moved on from Favre, Denver moved on from Elway (he was 38 I think).

Acting like it's the furthest thing in the world from happening is hilarious. What's his cap number next year, something like $17m? Lots of money to pay a game manager who leans on LaGarrette Blount for success.

Brady had his moments this year, and I don't think Mallett is Young or Rodgers. But I believe they need to rethink the constant spread and no huddle. Might be time to do what San Diego did with Rivers. Brady could also benefit from his own D Thomas/Kennan Allen

Peyton is basically the Harris character from Major League at this point. Mike Tanier noted that both guys have declined so much physically that we are closer than anyone thinks to the next Brady-Manning game as just being bad football

Peyton threw several wobblers that I just can't see Seattle not intercepting, especially if it is cold and windy.

TheFatOne

One of the stat guys did some research that said runs on 2 pt plays are actually pretty successful. I don't remember what the defensive front looked like on that play, but I don't have a problem with it in isolation. But given Brady's accuracy issues all game, I agree it is notable. I guess if I were a Pats fan I hope it is that hand injury that maybe isn't fully healed

Accuracy was an issue all season long. It's one of the things that was noticeable this season. That is the major thing I'm going to be watching early next season. From the jump Brady wasn't nearly as accurate as he was in the past, and early people were using the excuse of new receivers. I don't have the stats to back this up, and I could be wrong, but I have seen way more easy passes in the dirt this season from Brady then in previous seasons.

eznark

Banned
I agree that he has been bad, but do you see them making the move? What odds would you give on him coming back?

It depends on where they are on Mallet. If they like him (Young, Rodgers, Luck, etc.) then yeah. If not then it doesn't hurt to keep him but you have to start thinking about the next guy.

Personally I probably wait and see how the draft plays out. If they can get a project like Bortles at the end of the first or via their incessant draft trade machinations somewhere else in the draft then do it and hold Brady another season.

At some point they have to, and there is no real pressure to do it early since his contract does not include any sort of roster/workout/camp bonuses.

Thats statistically incorrect.
Lies damn lies and stats. I can probably find stats to "prove" it correct if you want.

I don't think Brady can win. He was often the difference maker and compensation for the piss poor skill talent the Patriots have on offense, but Brady could make all the throws necessary to facilitate that offense. Now that he can't how do the Pats move the ball without running?

I think Brady would be good for another 2 seasons if Hernandez wasn't a murderer and Gronk perennially injured. They both have high catch radius' that could hide the hanging throws (like the Broncos receivers with Manning).

JABEE

It depends on where they are on Mallet. If they like him (Young, Rodgers, Luck, etc.) then yeah. If not then it doesn't hurt to keep him but you have to start thinking about the next guy.

Personally I probably wait and see how the draft plays out. If they can get a project like Bortles at the end of the first or via their incessant draft trade machinations somewhere else in the draft then do it and hold Brady another season.

At some point they have to, and there is no real pressure to do it early since his contract does not include any sort of roster/workout/camp bonuses.
That's where I would be too if I were the Patriots. Brady and Manning are near the end right now. It's time to look for the QB of the future.

njean777

That's where I would be too if I were the Patriots. Brady and Manning are near the end right now. It's time to look for the QB of the future.

I agree, but I do believe Brady still has a SB in him, I am sure if he was playing on a stacked team like Manning he would make it to the SB one last time.

Belichick has been hiding Brady all season. He knows he can't get it done anymore. Brady faltered with the ball in his hands against the Panthers and Dolphins. Those are games the Pats win just a season ago.

Dutch will be mad since this is coming from me, but I absolutely think the Patriots start looking for a QB this offseason.

But Brady was successful against the Browns/Saints when the game was on the line. Wouldn't it be unfair to expect him to be able to do that every game? And look how close he got against the Panthers, he marched down the field just came short.

He hasn't been perfect but I don't believe Bill is scared of putting the ball in Brady his hands with the game on the line.

Also, can't get mad at a good reasonable post like yours. But most of the time the Pats hate gets in the way of a normal discussion. And you get shit like this:

I hope they trade him to the Cardinals. Clearly, he's done pats fans so you should push for a trade! We can't wait to party after Tom and Bill leave. This gets one of them out the way sooner. "You'll suck when Tom and Bill leave" according to Sir Charles.

Signed,
Cheatriots Haters Network

Your mom must have dropped you on your head as a baby so I'll use easy words for you: Stop it with this childish shit. Sometimes I would like to discus my team in a normal way, without people like you coming in and shouting stupid shit like this.

No need to part ways with Brady he is still good, and the only question is health. If the Pats can be healthy on both sides of the ball resign Edelman and Talib they will be a very good team. The defense even with all the injuries took a step forward. They just need a piece or two. If they can get another guy opposite of Jones and possibly another good linebacker in the draft they would be set. The defense will be very good next season if healthy, and if Talib resigns. Have high hopes for both receivers. Although I don't think either of them will be number one receivers I think they both have a chance to be really solid. Love Dobsons game so far. The big question is Gronk and if he can remain healthy through 16 games. I'm not sure a guy like that can stay healthy given how he plays the game. Pats could get away with not having a legit number one receiver if Gronk is healthy, and they have solid options. I have high hopes for the defense next season, and especially Collins. If he can do what he did the last few games all season long that would be huge for the Pats.

As for your other question. It has mostly been Brady. Although, I need to see a breakdown of this game. In the last few games Brady has been reluctant to throw the ball and then starts seeing ghosts in the pocket. He wasn't jumpy in this game, but he didn't look great. It also doesn't help that his skill is diminishing. Also, Brady's decision making takes a nose dive in the playoffs. Take a look at that Slater deep bomb. He had forever to throw, and decides to throw it to a well covered special teams player. The defenses are better in the playoffs, and for the most part the refs let things go. You have to make better throws into tighter coverages, and at times Brady seems reluctant to throw into those spots except when he has a receiver like Gronk. Even when he has someone like Gronk though he makes dumb ass mistakes as well. Will force feed him the ball and forget about everyone else. I'm no football expert but this is just what I see.

Brady locks on on his binky during the game. He has guys wide open, but will force the ball to Edelman/Gronk/Vereen whoever he trusts that game.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I actually agree with ez on Brady. Brady can still win (similar to Montana at the end of his run), but in the unlikely event that a good offer came in they need to consider it. Pats need to start looking for their QB of the future.

Would be smart. Denver didn't really plan for life after Elway and we got the last 15 years. Though admittedly, Denver was never an awful team in the last 15 years. I think they only went below .500 for the season twice since they won the 2 Superbowls. Still, they were certainly lacking in the QB department. And even now, they don't seem to have a plan for after Manning, so we're going to be in the same boat next season or the season after.

eznark

Banned
Would be smart. Denver didn't really plan for life after Elway and we got the last 15 years. Though admittedly, Denver was never an awful team in the last 15 years. I think they only went below .500 for the season once since they won the 2 Superbowls. Still, they were certainly lacking in the QB department. And even now, they don't seem to have a plan for after Manning, so we're going to be in the same boat next season or the season after.

That's not true. They liked Griese, it just didn't work out.

TheFatOne

Lies damn lies and stats. I can probably find stats to "prove" it correct if you want.

Now would be the time to sell high on Brady. He is still a solid QB, and there are a ton of shit teams who think they are a qb away from winning. If they think Mallet is the guy they would make a move soon, but I don't believe the Pats really believe in him. Every time I hear a Pats trade rumor it's always Mallet being traded to some crappy team. Which makes me believe that the Pats are trying to generate interest to move him. That's just my tinfoil hat conspiracy theory though.

eznark

Banned
Now would be the time to sell high on Brady. He is still a solid QB, and there are a ton of shit teams who think they are a qb away from winning. If they think Mallet is the guy they would make a move soon, but I don't believe the Pats really believe in him. Every time I hear a Pats trade rumor it's always Mallet being traded to some crappy team. Which makes me believe that the Pats are trying to generate interest to move him. That's just my tinfoil hat conspiracy theory though.

I don't think he's a sell high, he is playing worse football than Favre was when the Packers moved on and he didn't reap a huge return. But I think they could get something from Arizona or Minnesota, both teams with strong cores and no QB and a closing window.

Caja 117

Numbers are there, that 2011 season was a good season for Brady, if you take that away, then Yeah, what you said is true, I still stand that Not having Gronk is a big factor in all of this, is an easy target and he will catch about everything around him.

But I prefer for Brady having a offense like he had this year (including Gronk) and the patriots just upgrading their Defense, even as "Bad" Pats offense was this season, I will take it over Seahawks or 49ers

simples

Banned
Shooter of the generation.

Still 6 vs 6 multiplayer.
if you think player count makes games instead of map design, mobility, 2 different ways of playing (pace and movement vs power and bulk) in multilayered vertical choke points and 60fps twitch shooting

you are better off sticking to that broken piece of shit on a disc called battlefield, friend.

titanfall isn't made for a cluster fuck of 64 scrubs running into buildings with hoopties and broken servers. it's a close combat game

eznark

Banned
Numbers are there, that 2011 season was a good season for Brady, if you take that away, then Yeah, what you said is true, I still stand that Not having Gronk is a big factor in all of this, is an easy target and he will catch about everything around him.

Yeah it was. It was also a worse season than 2010. I didn't say he has been bad for 4 years.

Crisco

Banned
People are really criticizing Brady after a season where he drug an undermanned defense and the Duke basketball team to an AFC championship game? I don't really know what they should do, but Brady certainly wasn't the problem this year. Still, if a team was willing to give up a high draft pick(s) for him, I'd consider it. All out tank season next year, draft Mariota or Winston, roll on from there with probably a new coach.

cdyhybrid

People are really criticizing Brady after a season where he drug an undermanned defense and the Duke basketball team to an AFC championship game? I don't really know what they should do, but Brady certainly wasn't the problem this year. Still, if a team was willing to give up a high draft pick(s) for him, I'd consider it. All out tank season next year, draft Mariota or Winston, roll on from there with probably a new coach.

Come on now, Duke's basketball team has black guys on the roster.

Narag

Beleichick thinks Welker took out Talib on purpose. Interesting. I will say that I have thought teams have been pretty dirty with the Pats the past few years. I sort of understand Belichick's emotion.

Watching SEA-SF, it's just too much. Every time those two play it seems a couple of guys blow out a knee and there are a few concussions. Guess I've gone soft b/c after the Bowman injury I just really lost my stomach for super-physical football

Obv Welker has turned rogue after Kraft freed his family for muffing that punt.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Should the Pats start getting ready to move on from Brady? Absolutely, yes. He's almost at the end of his rope. Moving to a heavy run game was done because Belichick can see Tom degrading as well as the rest of us.

Will the Pats start getting ready to move on from Brady? Maybe, but doubtful. Belichick has control of that organization and he and Brady will be leaving together. Does he care about developing a guy he won't be around to coach?

TheFatOne

I was amazed they even made it as far as they did with the offense they had, I do not think that could have been done by anybody but Tom Brady, and maybe Manning.

Yet still this year Brady has made huge comebacks and won games with a middling offense. No other team (sans the colts) have done this. You cannot say he hast done anything all year, he has been that clutch QB he has always been. He has consistently made it to the playoffs almost every year, and even though he hasn't won a SB in awhile, he isn't a bad QB at all.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I really fucking hate everyone saying. The Pats defense all fucking year made plays. If you look at any of the games the Pats had a shot at the end the defense gave them a chance to win. Look at the game against New Orleans if it wasn't for that defense Brady would have been destroyed for throwing one of the worst picks I have seen him throw. It's just straight bullshit that if it wasn't for Brady the Pats wouldn't have made it this far. Brady and the defense making key plays. People love to give the QB credit and forget everything that happens in the game. If you say it if it wasn't for Brady it's doing a disservice to the excellent job Belichick and Patricia have done with a depleted defense this season. Yes there were some game Brady pulled through but the defense also helped him a ton this season.

But Brady was successful against the Browns/Saints when the game was on the line. Wouldn't it be unfair to expect him to be able to do that every game? And look how close he got against the Panthers, he marched down the field just came short.

He hasn't been perfect but I don't believe Bill is scared of putting the ball in Brady his hands with the game on the line.

Also, can't get mad at a good reasonable post like yours. But most of the time the Pats hate gets in the way of a normal discussion. And you get shit like this:

Like squicken said, Brady and Manning are very similar in that physically they can't compete like they once did. Manning is in the perfect environment for his abilities because every one of his receivers is a bull that can make a play on the ball in heavy traffic. Watching Brady's throws yesterday there were some that could have been made if the receiving talent wasn't so diminutive. Julian Edelman has played way above his station this season but he can't make the tough catches necessary to make Brady look good.

eznark

Banned
No way they get rid of Brady now. Next year would be when they make a move.

This is the last year they have Mallet under contract. I'd argue that they should take advantage of that to see what they have. Belichick is a known cheater and scam artist, Kerrigan Brady if you have to.

simples

Banned
ez narks so shit scared of Brady after watching him take a bunch of homeless people off the street and carry them to the afccg

he now wants the pats to cut him to avoid the goat and celebrate with bionic. that's the only way cowardly franchises with glass jaw qbs can compete with us

unlike ungrateful sconnies who turn on their legends, we cherish ours. Brady will get an ovation like Bledsoe and vinatieri when it's time. patriots don't do Favre esque circus'

eznark

Banned
ez narks so shit scared of Brady after watching him take a bunch of homeless people off the street and carry them to the afccg

he now wants the pats to cut him to avoid the goat. that's the only way cowardly franchises with glass jaw qbs can compete with us

unlike ungrateful sconnies who turn on their legends, we cherish ours. Brady will get an ovation like Bledsoe and vinatieri when it's time. patriots don't do Favre esque circus'

Who would be scared of an elderly has been who hasn't won in a decade?\

Also I absolutely do not want the Patriots to do it. It's the smart move and I wish them nothing but misery.

I would expect the Pats to have one more Super Bowl run type offseason where they try to get a big name receiver or something. I think Brady is the only player who the Patriots wont try to screw.

TheFatOne

I don't think he's a sell high, he is playing worse football than Favre was when the Packers moved on and he didn't reap a huge return. But I think they could get something from Arizona or Minnesota, both teams with strong cores and no QB and a closing window.
I still think you can get a good package from a desperate team. I should have clarified my statement as well. I think this is as high as his value is going to be moving forward. This is the highest his value will be
I know that's an obvious statement
If a bad team throws multiple high picks at the Pats they would have to seriously consider it.
No way they get rid of Brady now. Next year would be when they make a move.

As eznark already pointed out this would be the year not next season. They have to seriously consider it.
I would expect the Pats to have one more Super Bowl run type offseason where they try to get a big name receiver or something. I think Brady is the only player who the Patriots wont try to screw.

You live in a fantasy world if you believe this. How did the Deion Branch situation go for Brady? They have and will continue to screw over players if it means it improves the team.

Hammer24

Banned

Yeah, that's what I´d guess as well.
If they don´t get to the big dance next year, then Belichik and Brady will move on.

eznark

Banned
I think there is a legit shot at the Patriots moving on and if it doesn't I think it's a legitimate indictment of Ryan Mallett, as they will essentially be letting him walk.

TheFatOne

I think there is a legit shot at the Patriots moving on and if it doesn't I think it's a legitimate indictment of Ryan Mallett, as they will essentially be letting him walk.

I think the Mallet ship has already sailed. Don't think they believe in him, but I could be wrong.

Belichick has been coaching around Brady all season. Even he knows Brady is finished. Why would he hold onto him if he could sucker another team into improving the Patriots?

eznark

Banned
The Patriots.

I think the Mallet ship has already sailed. Don't think they believe in him, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, and if that's true then there is literally zero reason to move on from Brady. He isn't insanely expensive and you have no better (real or perceived) option. But if they don't get someone in that role soon they are moronic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom