• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Divisional 2012 |OT| Schaubenfraud

Sanjuro

Kind of like the Natinals ran everyone out of town when they lost in the playoffs? Sure, people ripped them and begged them to play Strasburg, but they stuck to their guns. If you manage the team like a fan, you're soon to be a fan.

...and they lost, becoming fans watching from their couch.

KingKong

It wasn't the right move for RG3s health, it wasn't the right move for the Redskins future and it wasn't even the right move for trying to win the game, it was an awful decision from every angle

cajunator

Banned
The other thing here is these guys are paid millions of dollars for a reason.
They are out there risking their bodies and getting paid hugely to do it. Its part of the risk of playing in the NFL.

Sanjuro

Part of he injury came from that shitty field. AP blew his acl on that same field

I miss our shitty field surface. I still rather have grass than this artificial crap we have now. It would have been fine if we kicked the damn soccer team out that nobody ever attends.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kind of like the Natinals ran everyone out of town when they lost in the playoffs? Sure, people ripped them and begged them to play Strasburg, but they stuck to their guns. If you manage the team like a fan, you're soon to be a fan..

The Strasburg analogy is a pretty bad one.

RG3 was already injured. He's been injured for weeks. Nationals shutting down Strasburg was totally precautionary and based on pretty flimsy statistical evidence but precautionary none the less. What Shanahan and the Redskins were doing with RG3 went beyond reckless abandon.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The other thing here is these guys are paid millions of dollars for a reason.
They are out there risking their bodies and getting paid hugely to do it. Its part of the risk of playing in the NFL.
Players are paid to play, and teams have trouble winning if they don't. Keeping players on the field until their knee explodes is counterproductive.

I understand that NFL players play through injuries all the time, but man...................a knee is nothing to fuck with. He wouldn't have been fired if he played Cousins and lost, get the fuck out of here with that. He put this kids career on the line.

Sanjuro

The whole reason Cousins was selected was for this exact purpose. It boggles the mind why they would throw their own logic in the dumpster.

Then you have teams like the Vikings who clearly have no idea what the fuck they are doing when it comes to fielding a proper team.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The Strasburg analogy is a pretty bad one.

RG3 was already injured. He's been injured for weeks. Nationals shutting down Strasburg was totally precautionary and based on pretty flimsy statistical evidence but precautionary none the less. What Shanahan and the Redskins were doing with RG3 went beyond reckless abandon.

It's going to be a great analogy next season!

Sanjuro

They are hyping this conference on NFL Network. A part of me is expecting someone to come out and announce RGIII has passed away.

Sky Chief

When you are young and dumb you think you are invincible. Just look back at your younger years and all the dumb shit you used to do. You dont have the common sense yet to know when to call it a day - add to that that he is a rookie in a "grown ass man tough mans league". The motivation for him to play hurt and win the approval of his teammates is high. He won't take himself out of the game cause it makes him look weak(fair or not). The coach needs to bite the bullet on this one and protect his franchises future.

I remember playing all kinds of sports in my younger years and even when I sustained pretty serious injuries I never felt like it was that bad at the time. Just the adrenaline in your body and being so zoned in mentally made me think that I could keep playing and a couple times this was a very bad decision and I am still dealing with injuries that could have been avoided and minimized if I was told by someone else that I should not play.

If I were a coach I would NEVER take a player's word that he is okay to play. It isn't even about the player trying to be a tough guy, a lot of the time you don't know how bad you are hurt until the adrenaline high wears off.

I understand that NFL players play through injuries all the time, but man...................a knee is nothing to fuck with. He wouldn't have been fired if he played Cousins and lost, get the fuck out of here with that. He put this kids career on the line.

Agree'd

There are certain injuries you can try to play through but a knee is not one of them.

Fantomex

The biggest rule I can see being implemented if there is a big enough fallout is Team Doctors making the call on players fromt this point on, and eliminating coaches from being involved in the process of testing.

cdyhybrid

Yep. "After watching him in practice I felt that Robert wasn't recovered enough to give us the best chance to win. Kirk has already won games with this team and we feel confident he can step up and get the job done this week."

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Shanahan is literally going to say he doesn't know until kickoff of opening day next season when RG3 is sitting in a wheelchair in the stands.

jakncoke

Banned
These RGIII jokes are a bit much for me :/

too soon

If he comes back healthy then maybe... but the shit just happened yesterday. I think they are in bad taste.

inb4 "lolol shake is a pussy!!!!"

We know the outcome of this. RG3 calls up AP people. Next year RG3 throws for 5320 yards, runs for 1200 12 tds. 45 tds 11 ints. They lose to the Packers in the WC

Just read this on the OBR, "Mike Francesa WFAN stated He heard NFL Coaching shocker in next 48 hours." take it for what it's worth

This sounds bad, I feel like he was really saying "It looks bad but we're sending him to Dr. Andrews and praying for a positive second opinion"

That's what he was saying.

I just know the reasoning behind calling a press conference just to talk about RG3's injury, if you don't yet want to talk about RG3's injury.

In any case, Skins fans should pray to whatever deity they see fit that James Andrews can work some of his magic again.

Sky Chief

That's what he was saying.

I just know the reasoning behind calling a press conference just to talk about RG3's injury, if you don't yet want to talk about RG3's injury.

In any case, Skins fans should pray to whatever deity they see fit that James Andrews can work some of his magic again.

Conspiracy theory - Andrews knew that RG3's knee would give out after the first quarter but needed more business

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'd wager that they're aware of how bad the injury is to RG3 and they're just trying to figure out a way to spin the PR so the Redskins won't look as awful.

wienke said:
I'd wager that they're aware of how bad the injury is to RG3
They absolutely are. They no doubt hoping for better news with Andrews after the MRI came in.

Seahawks apparently filed an official complaint with the league about the condition of the field from what I'm reading on Twitter...

mr2xxx

Banned
Fuck! Shanny referencing AP when referencing Rg3's injury, nothing definitive yet on the injury but doesn't sound good. Going from RoTY to the potential Comeback player of the year is just fucking sad. Horrible situation and fuck Mike for trying to ruin RG3.

cdyhybrid

They absolutely are. They no doubt hoping for better news with Andrews after the MRI came in.

Seahawks apparently filed an official complaint with the league about the condition of the field from what I'm reading on Twitter...

They should. Losing Clemons is a huge blow.

brentech

I call players kids all the time, but to sit here and say that it wasn't RG3's decision to play as well is ludicrous. RG clearly thought himself invincible or he wouldn't have put himself in the situation to re-aggravate or make it worse as he did. When the doctor clears you to play but tries preventative measures, it'd really your decision to go or not.

Yes, Shanahan should have pulled him, but this is professional ball and almost every single coach will do what he thinks gives his team the best chance to win(a playoff game, and a non life threatening injury at that). It's not like the medical staff stopped him.

They even said in the pregame that Andrews wanted him to wear a full knee brace, but RG3 decided he wanted the thinner sleeve instead.

Hubris caught up with both him and Shanny

Top Bottom