• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Divisional 2012 |OT| Schaubenfraud

brentech

Anyone else think Aaron Rodgers could have a worse playoff record than Peyton when all is said and done?
Currently 5-3 with 2 one and done.
One in WC round (his first playoff appearance), and the division round blast year as the #1 seed.

I just don't see him getting a worse record. Not that it can't happen, but it'd be kind of hard to even make it to the playoffs enough and have that kind of post season lack of success.

If matt Ryan doesn't get a win today, he'll definitely be at a better pace to do that.

eznark

Banned
Rodgers would basically need to be a 1 or 2 seed every remaining season in his career and never win a playoff game again to have a worse record than Manning.

Drakeon

Who is your 3rd string qb? Is John David Booty still on your roster?

edit; McLeod John Baltazar Bethel-Thompson

what a name lol

McBLT as Niners fans called him. He was on our practice squad (a local kid, from Sac State) for a few weeks last year after the lockout just ended.

Godslay

Banned
Long time Indy Star columnist Bob Kravitz

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz
Interesting to read the Denver Post: One columnist blames Fox, other blames Moore, nobody blames Peyton.

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz
Eight one and outs. As the athletes like to say, it is what it is.

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz
Look, it's hard to win any game when you give up 38 points, but three Manning TO's killed 'em. It's like he's made of Teflon.

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz
The Peyton pick totally reminded me of the interception Brett Favre threw three years ago against New Orleans. Terrible throw.

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz
Look, I love the guy, admire his comeback, believe he's one of best ever, but he's not a consistently great postseason QB. Period.

Yeah, and the Denver Post isn't the entirety of reporting in Denver. For instance:

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi
I don't put the first turnover on Manning. Missed PI call. But he did fumble in the 3rd (that was a fumble). And the last pick was awful.

Is it fair to say PFM does not have that killer instinct in playoff games? Is that a fair assessment, or am I just an angry simpleton?

Manning running right, throwing back across his body in overtime. SMH

He's getting his share of the blame.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz
Interesting to read the Denver Post: One columnist blames Fox, other blames Moore, nobody blames Peyton.

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz
Look, it's hard to win any game when you give up 38 points, but three Manning TO's killed 'em. It's like he's made of Teflon.

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz
The Peyton pick totally reminded me of the interception Brett Favre threw three years ago against New Orleans. Terrible throw.

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz
Look, I love the guy, admire his comeback, believe he's one of best ever, but he's not a consistently great postseason QB. Period.

This really is the truth. Plenty of blame to go around and theres also the fact that the Ravens stepped up (well except for their special teams).

And of course THIS IS NOT DETROIT.

squicken

It was the exact same throw. Favre got roasted for it. Just saying.

I thought early in his career, when they were losing to NE, especially with what what we know now about the video-taping, that they were just out-coached and NE had the better defense. It really looked like NE just knew what was coming, and of we know now why that was

But recently, it's really been him. For whatever reason his game dips. I do think he was physically limited yesterday, but that's part of it. He's an older guy and I thought he had lost his legs by the end.

Vyroxis

Banned
Who is your 3rd string qb? Is John David Booty still on your roster?

edit; McLeod John Baltazar Bethel-Thompson

what a name lol

Yup, its a hell of a name. And watching him in the preseason, the kid ain't bad. He's no A+ superstar, but he can throw better than Webb can. Just seemed to lack the ability to throw the ball at anything less than full power. Which is why I am still floored by the fact Frazier didn't bench Webb at the half. Hell, even after the first quarter he should have.

Bread

Banned

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz
finally colts fans can admit the truth, how long until they announce tom brady as their lord and savior?

TheFatOne

Code:
1.21	DL	 Chandler Jones
1.25	LB	 Dont'a Hightower	
2.16	DB	 Tavon Wilson	
3.27	DL	 Jake Bequette	 
6.27	DB	 Nate Ebner	
7.17	DB	 Alfonzo Dennard	 
7.28	WR	 Jeremy Ebert	 
1.17	OL	 Nate Solder	 
2.01	DB	 Ras-I Dowling	 
2.24	RB	 Shane Vereen	 
3.09	RB	 Stevan Ridley	 
3.10	QB	 Ryan Mallett	 
5.07	OL	 Marcus Cannon	 
5.28	TE	 Lee Smith	 	  
6.29	LB	 Markell Carter	 
7.16	DB	 Malcolm Williams	 
1.27	DB	 Devin McCourty	
2.10	TE	 Rob Gronkowski	 
2.21	DL	 Jermaine Cunningham	 	  
2.30	LB	 Brandon Spikes	 
3.26	WR	 Taylor Price	
4.15	TE	 Aaron Hernandez	 
5.19	P	 Zoltan Mesko	 
6.36	OL	 Ted Larsen	
7.01	OL	 Thomas Welch	 
7.40	DL	 Brandon Deaderick	
7.41	DL	 Kade Weston	
7.43	QB	 Zac Robinson	 
2.02	DB	 Patrick Chung	
2.08	DL	 Ron Brace	
2.09	DB	 Darius Butler	
2.26	OL	 Sebastian Vollmer		  
3.19	WR	 Brandon Tate	
3.33	LB	 Tyrone McKenzie	
4.23	OL	 Rich Ohrnberger	 
5.34	OL	 George Bussey	 
6.25	LS	 Jake Ingram	
6.34	DL	 Myron Pryor	 
7.23	WR	 Julian Edelman	
7.25	DL	 Darryl Richard		  
1.10	LB	 Jerod Mayo	 
2.31	DB	 Terrence Wheatley	 	  
3.15	LB	 Shawn Crable	 
3.31	QB	 Kevin O'Connell	 	  
4.30	DB	 Jonathan Wilhite	 	  
5.18	WR	 Matt Slater	
6.31	LB	 Bo Ruud

Some hits there, not any less than other teams, but their high amount of picks make it look bad percentage wise.

Overall though, I agree with you.

One thing the Pats lack is top end speed. Especially on defense. What has me excited as a Pats fan is the last three drafts. They have been solid after years of drafting poorly. Pats have some nice pieces defensive right now, but they are still missing quite a few things. They need to get faster on the outside on offense, and they need faster linebackers. In a couple of years I believe this defense can turn into a solid group if some of the picks pan out, but by then Brady might already be gone.

As squicken posted, Justin smith is a true man. I thought he would play a few snaps just to give our D an emotional lift but he played all game and was drawing double teams as usual. He's hungry for that ring!

This really is the truth. Plenty of blame to go around and theres also the fact that the Ravens stepped up (well except for their special teams).

Ravens played great, but the TD to tie the game should never happen, when you put 8 into coverage and they still score just pathetic....

Pimpwerx

Is Peyton gonna go at it another season? His arm strength is noticeably down. Right now, he reminds me of Chad "Noodle Arm" Pennington. A great football mind, but the arm isn't up to the task. It's really unfortunate. PEACE.

jakncoke

Banned
Is Peyton gonna go at it another season? His arm strength is noticeably down. Right now, he reminds me of Chad "Noodle Arm" Pennington. A great football mind, but the arm isn't up to the task. It's really unfortunate. PEACE.

He is coming back to get Brents record of most playoff losses, they are currently tied at 11

There are some 100-Level seats on StubHub in the Georgia dome for under $100...
Damn, I wish I wasn't at the office by myself. I'd bail in a heartbeat.

squicken

As squicken posted, Justin smith is a true man. I thought he would play a few snaps just to give our D an emotional lift but he played all game and was drawing double teams as usual. He's hungry for that ring!

He was even playing the last few snaps! Garbage time and still going. Unreal. And I am back on the Harbaugh bandwagon. As people have said on Twitter, if Kap was in NY with Sparano or in AZ with Whiz, do we even learn Kap's name? Guy is such a talent but he has been coached up. Just like Alex was

finally colts fans can admit the truth, how long until they announce tom brady as their lord and savior?

Kravitz has long been a Brady > Peyton guy. I've always felt it was more complicated than just wins and losses, but at some point the stinkers add up

DCX

DCX
hi-res-152250865_crop_exact.jpg

It's almost time!

DCX

Hunter S.

Looking at the post above, yeah I blame John Fox mostly and his conservative decisions. He did not make smart calls that could have ended the game before overtime.Another big fuck up besides the turnovers was the missed field goal. The defense failed too. This was not a one man loss, though Peyton haters will attribute it all too Peyton. Hell, Flacco had a hell of a game on big plays.

Whatever, go Seahawks and Texans.

squicken

Looking at the post above, yeah I blame John Fox mostly and his conservative decisions. He did not make smart calls that could have ended the game before overtime.Another big fuck up besides the turnovers was the missed field goal. The defense failed too. This was not a one man loss, thoughbPeyton haters will attribute it all too Peyton. Hell, Flacco had a hell of a game on big plays.

Whatever, go Seahawks and Texans.

It's not all on Peyton. Hell I'd be steaming mad at Fox. Guy is a good coach except on Sundays. Should not be allowed access to a challenge flag, calling timeouts, going for 2, and end of half and game scenarios

RyanDG

After a night of reflecting back on the playoff game and going over the pick over and over in my mind, a few things really stand out to me (before I let this game go and just begin looking forward to the next season):

#1 - Peyton Manning took the blame for the audible in the 4th. It really gets me thinking who was really responsible for the super-conservative play calling in the second half that seemed so out of sync with what the Broncos were trying to do in the first half. Manning was getting slightly pressured on occasions, but he also had multiple times when he had forever to throw down field and he would be dumping it down for 3-4 yard passes every time. Yes, the Ravens were in a 2 man under defense almost the entire game, but Manning seemed to be playing scared. Was he the one who was responsible for the shift to running on nearly every single first down in the second half? Was he audibling to those runs multiple times? Manning was the best solution for the Broncos at QB, but it really feels like he's not the same QB in Playoff games as he is in the regular season. When the Broncos were up by 7 in the regular season, Manning would almost always be looking for the dagger (deep throw to Thomas (Edit-said Marshall by accident lol) or Decker) to put the game away. Where was THAT Manning yesterday?

#2 - Denver needs to find a solid solution at Running Back that is not as injury prone as Moreno or McGahee this offseason. Hillman has potential, but his size is going to limit him on short yardage plays, and as nice as McGahee has filled in for the Broncos, his injury prone nature (and complete lack of explosiveness) is holding back the offense for consistency. Moreno stepped up, but Moreno cannot be relied on. Though he played like a different back the last half of the season, he's always shown sparks of greatness in between a lot of mediocrity.

#3 - Discipline on defense completely went out the window yesterday. Yes, most of the penalties being called were extremely ticky tack penalties, and some were phantom penalties altogether, but between Bailey's performance, Moore's performance, Leonard's performance, and Carter's performance in the secondary, we deserved to lose. The secondary let Joe Flacco beat them, and honestly, they should let that sink in and stew quite a bit. Everyone wants to target Moore for going for the ball at the end of regulation (and I absolutely agree that was the worst fucking decision in the entire world), but it wasn't like he was the only player in that secondary that was giving the game away. There were several passes that should've been picked. There were several plays that should've been deflected. And there were several receivers that should not have gotten behind our defense. As good as Jack Del Rio's schemes were this season, I think its safe to safe that the biggest weakness we had was against TE coverage and the deep passing game (Houston/Atlanta/New England/Baltimore all come to mind here).

#4 - Did anyone else get the impression that the Broncos almost played like they expected to win that game with very little effort? There seemed to be no hustle on Defense. We didn't run a quick no huddle on offense (when the quicker snaps were working). There wasn't a lot of fight for extra yardage in our backs. It just seemed like the Broncos had the wrong attitude on that field. It was like we were already looking ahead. That's a coaching issue more than anything... And I know the Broncos probably won't admit it, but they played like a team that felt like they were so much better than the Ravens that they didn't really have to try.

Oh well. Rooting for the Seahawks and the Texans today (Fuck you Josh McDaniels, I hate you), but my choices haven't fared to well this post season lol. Bring on the offseason rumor mill.

It's not all on Peyton. Hell I'd be steaming mad at Fox. Guy is a good coach except on Sundays. Should not be allowed access to a challenge flag, calling timeouts, going for 2, and end of half and game scenarios

Yeah, I don't think anybody would blame Peyton entirely for the loss. Fox not pushing to get a field goal before OT was a killer. Those situations are what you got your franchise QB for!

Defense played like ass too. Seemed every Rats touchown was on a blown deep coverage that saw the receiver walk into the endzone. That said, none of those are the God Peyton Manning.

Godslay

Banned
After a night of reflecting back on the playoff game and going over the pick over and over in my mind, a few things really stand out to me (before I let this game go and just begin looking forward to the next season):

#1 - Peyton Manning took the blame for the audible in the 4th. It really gets me thinking who was really responsible for the super-conservative play calling in the second half that seemed so out of sync with what the Broncos were trying to do in the first half. Manning was getting slightly pressured on occasions, but he also had multiple times when he had forever to throw down field and he would be dumping it down for 3-4 yard passes every time. Yes, the Ravens were in a 2 man under defense almost the entire game, but Manning seemed to be playing scared. Was he the one who was responsible for the shift to running on nearly every single first down in the second half? Was he audibling to those runs multiple times? Manning was the best solution for the Broncos at QB, but it really feels like he's not the same QB in Playoff games as he is in the regular season. When the Broncos were up by 7 in the regular season, Manning would almost always be looking for the dagger (deep throw to Marshall or Decker) to put the game away. Where was THAT Manning yesterday?

#2 - Denver needs to find a solid solution at Running Back that is not as injury prone as Moreno or McGahee this offseason. Hillman has potential, but his size is going to limit him on short yardage plays, and as nice as McGahee has filled in for the Broncos, his injury prone nature (and complete lack of explosiveness) is holding back the offense for consistency. Moreno stepped up, but Moreno cannot be relied on. Though he played like a different back the last half of the season, he's always shown sparks of greatness in between a lot of mediocrity.

#3 - Discipline on defense completely went out the window yesterday. Yes, most of the penalties being called were extremely ticky tack penalties, and some were phantom penalties altogether, but between Bailey's performance, Moore's performance, Leonard's performance, and Carter's performance in the secondary, we deserved to lose. The secondary let Joe Flacco beat them, and honestly, they should let that sink in and stew quite a bit. Everyone wants to target Moore for going for the ball at the end of regulation (and I absolutely agree that was the worst fucking decision in the entire world), but it wasn't like he was the only player in that secondary that was giving the game away. There were several passes that should've been picked. There were several plays that should've been deflected. And there were several receivers that should not have gotten behind our defense. As good as Jack Del Rio's schemes were this season, I think its safe to safe that the biggest weakness we had was against TE coverage and the deep passing game (Houston/Atlanta/New England/Baltimore all come to mind here).

#4 - Did anyone else get the impression that the Broncos almost played like they expected to win that game with very little effort? There seemed to be no hustle on Defense. We didn't run a quick no huddle on offense (when the quicker snaps were working). There wasn't a lot of fight for extra yardage in our backs. It just seemed like the Broncos had the wrong attitude on that field. It was like we were already looking ahead. That's a coaching issue more than anything... And I know the Broncos probably won't admit it, but they played like a team that felt like they were so much better than the Ravens that they didn't really have to try.

Oh well. Rooting for the Seahawks and the Texans today (Fuck you Josh McDaniels, I hate you), but my choices haven't fared to well this post season lol. Bring on the offseason rumor mill.

Great post. I think this puts the baby to bed.

Hunter S.

Well, Fox is not terrible with his challenges. But in regard to running the ball on every down that final drive was clearly him turning ultra conservative in the first close game for the team all year. Peyton will probably object though I do not think this will change much of anything. I am pretty sure Fox will be given another chance and they probably should.

Holliday is a badass midget.

LOL@Anyone thinking Brady is better than Peyton. Brady plays in a winning system with the best coach of all time. Peyton goes to any team and makes everyone around him better. He is the offensive cordinator. Brady is not even as good as Marino.

If the Pats win the SB, you certainly have the right.

I hate people like you. You're too nice. It makes trolling you no fun. NO FUN!

LOL@Anyone thinking Brady is better than Peyton. Brady plays in a winning system with the best coach of all time. Peyton goes to any team and makes everyone around him better. He is the offensive cordinator. Brady is not even as good as Marino.

LOL it's the system. Tebow took Manning's same team further. haha

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

#1 - Peyton Manning took the blame for the audible in the 4th. It really gets me thinking who was really responsible for the super-conservative play calling in the second half that seemed so out of sync with what the Broncos were trying to do in the first half. Manning was getting slightly pressured on occasions, but he also had multiple times when he had forever to throw down field and he would be dumping it down for 3-4 yard passes every time. Yes, the Ravens were in a 2 man under defense almost the entire game, but Manning seemed to be playing scared. Was he the one who was responsible for the shift to running on nearly every single first down in the second half? Was he audibling to those runs multiple times? Manning was the best solution for the Broncos at QB, but it really feels like he's not the same QB in Playoff games as he is in the regular season. When the Broncos were up by 7 in the regular season, Manning would almost always be looking for the dagger (deep throw to Thomas (Edit-said Marshall by accident lol) or Decker) to put the game away. Where was THAT Manning yesterday?

Very well said.

Thank God for special teams, would have made the Broncos loss look worse than it was.

PS. What the hell is up with your avatar anyway? It is either Minecraft Chie, or she was hit by that curse from Thinner.

squicken

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
While I think Jets will hire some1 quickly for GM job, they have been getting rebuffed a lot and gone back to some asking them to reconsider

Should have fired Rex. Who wants that job, with that coach, that QB, and that cap situation?

edit: Glazer said on TV the Jets "couldn't give their GM job away"

lol The curse of Tebow. That's what you get when you betray him

BigAT

Crazy article about Jason Taylor, some of the insane injury shit he went through, and the culture of the NFL and injuries.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/13/3179926/dan-le-batard-jason-taylors-pain.html

Just some truly insane stuff in there:

But take a look at what was happening in the dark. He was just a few blessed hours from having his leg amputated. He played games, plural, with a hidden and taped catheter running from his armpit to his heart. His calf was oozing blood for so many months, from September of one year to February of another, that he had to have the equivalent of a drain installed.
He had torn tissues in the bottom of both of them. But he wanted to play. He always wanted to play. So he went to a private room inside the football stadium.

“Like a dungeon,” he says now. “One light bulb swaying back and forth. There was a damp, musty smell. It was like the basement in Pulp Fiction.”

The doctors handed him a towel. For his mouth. To keep him from biting his tongue. And to muffle his screaming.

Tom Penny

Yeah, I don't think anybody would blame Peyton entirely for the loss. Fox not pushing to get a field goal before OT was a killer. Those situations are what you got your franchise QB for!

Defense played like ass too. Seemed every Rats touchown was on a blown deep coverage that saw the receiver walk into the endzone. That said, none of those are the God Peyton Manning.

Unacceptable. 2 timeouts in Denver were you have a legit shot if you get to the 40. I also recall them running a draw at mid field on a 3 and 5 and on 3 and 7 to win the game you hand it off instead of trying to get the winning 1st down?

jakncoke

Banned
Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
While I think Jets will hire some1 quickly for GM job, they have been getting rebuffed a lot and gone back to some asking them to reconsider

Should have fired Rex. Who wants that job, with that coach, that QB, and that cap situation?

ego maniac that thinks they can fix anything and build a winner?

Top Bottom