• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Divisional 2012 |OT| Schaubenfraud

Ryan gone huh? Don't know how to feel about that. Hopefully he takes Garrett with him. Would make it totally worth it.

Hmm, maybe we're going to switch to a 4-3 now.

Godslay

Banned
Ryan gone huh? Don't know how to feel about that. Hopefully he takes Garrett with him. Would make it totally worth it.

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
with Rob Ryan gone in Dallas don't be surprised if more changes are coming. I don't think Ryan will be the last. @dallascowboys

Might get your wish.

And another for the :jnc

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones
!!! RT @ellenport: At CBS #SB47 presser, Bill Cowher was asked if he'd ever get a Roethlisberger tattoo: "At least he won me a Super Bowl."

squicken

Craig Ellenport ‏@ellenport
At CBS #SB47 presser, Bill Cowher was asked if he'd ever get a Roethlisberger tattoo. Cowher's reply: "At least he won me a Super Bowl."

edit: nihontiger, I think Matthews is staying at A&M

Ryan's future might not be as safely mapped out as he believes, at least if he's looking for a lateral move. It's hard to ignore that none of Ryan's teams have posted a winning record in his nine years as a defensive coordinator. Then again, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan could always add a new attraction to the circus by clearing room for his twin brother.

There aren't enough beat writers in the world to handle that terrifying reality.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...an-dallas-cowboys-part-ways-after-two-seasons

:jnc

RBH

Super Bowl is on CBS this year?

Better than FOX at least. Wish NBC would have the Super Bowl every year.

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
with Rob Ryan gone in Dallas don't be surprised if more changes are coming. I don't think Ryan will be the last. @dallascowboys

Might get your wish.

Like I said before the Romo/Garrett combo just won't cut it. One of the two has to go. I still think that with the right offensive system Romo can shine so I'd rather have Garrett gone or at least bring in someone to call the plays for him.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

kgface.gif

squicken

David Moore ‏@DavidMooreDMN
Rob Ryan out as Cowboys defensive coordinator. "I have no sour grapes," Ryan said. "I know I did a hell of a job. I will find another spot."

Rob Ryan in Turks & Caicos and was fired on cell phone by Jason Garrett. "They want uncomfortable," Ryan said. "I'm comfortably numb."

squicken

Going into his third year with the Panthers, Ron Rivera has a 13-19 record.

His record of offering up those who might not necessarily be the problem is far more impressive.

In addition to the previously reported firing of running backs coach John Settle, the Panthers announced today that they also fired wide receivers coach Fred Graves and linebackers coach Warren Belin.

This is after Rivera fired his defensive backs coach (Ron Meeks) after his first season, his special teams coach (Brian Murphy) midseason this year, and stood by while the guy who hired him (former general manager Marty Hurney) was fired.

That’s five coaches, all of whom he picked. Or, one fewer than his home wins the last two seasons.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ep-finding-scapegoats-bigger-problem-remains/

One of Bill Simmons' few axioms that are actually right is "would doing this make fans of rival teams happy or unhappy", and I think keeping Rivera makes NFCS fans happy

Last time Joe Buck and Troy Aikman announced the Super Bowl, the Packers won, so I'm fine with that.

Coincidentally, the Packers got both of their most recent SB wins during Fox broadcasts.

Last time Joe Buck and Troy Aikman announced the Super Bowl, the Packers won, so I'm fine with that.

Coincidentally, the Packers won both their most recent SB's during Fox broadcasts.

No Green Bay Packers Super Bowl this year?

Last two times CBS did the Super Bowl, Peyton Manning was playing in each one...

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Rob Ryan out as Cowboys defensive coordinator. "I have no sour grapes," Ryan said. "I know I did a hell of a job. I will find another spot."

Rob Ryan in Turks & Caicos and was fired on cell phone by Jason Garrett. "They want uncomfortable," Ryan said. "I'm comfortably numb."

At least no one snapped any pictures of Rob sunbathing.

WedgeX

Banned
Rob Ryan got let go?

Now my Rob Ryan to Eagles prediction can come true! And Eagles fans can throw snowballs at Santa again!

Bowser

One of Bill Simmons' few axioms that are actually right is "would doing this make fans of rival teams happy or unhappy", and I think keeping Rivera makes NFCS fans happy

Eh, I think Rivera earned a 3rd year with the team's late season surge. Could it blow up in the Panthers faces? Yeah, in fact it might be probable. But I just don't think you fire a guy after two seasons unless he's absolutely bottom of the barrel (1-15/2-14 type guy). Chuck Noll started out something like 12-30, Bill Walsh went 2-14 then 6-10 his first two seasons. Not comparing Rivera to those guys, but just saying sometimes a little patience is warranted. No doubt in my mind if we miss the playoffs next season Rivera's out.

Firing these assistant coaches doesn't really bother me. Pat Y of ESPN said there had been friction between some of the offensive assistants, so maybe this is cleaning up that friction. Also, each of these three guys were the least experienced assistant coaches, so bringing in some more experience can only help Rivera. I bet that at least one of these assistant coaching positions is filled by a former HC (or a former coordinator at worst).

BTW, I like Gantt, but he's always seemed to have held a grudge against the Panthers for him being taken off the local beat a few years back. Methinks he felt the team had something to do with it (which they might've, but who knows).

WEEK ONE
NINERS vs. PACKERS

Notes:
- Jarrett Bush started at CB.
- Both LB Erik Walden and DE Mike Neal were not eligible to play.
- This was RB Cedric Benson's first regular season game as a Packer.
- WR Greg Jennings was dealing with an injury.
- Notable Inactives: Daniels, House, Starks. (Niners: James).

Q1:
- SF LT Staley sure likes to hold.
- Brian Bulaga is getting beat on a consistent basis, poor run blocking to boot.
- Niners aren't getting to Rodgers but they are collapsing the pocket.
- Rodgers can't step up into pocket or scramble (see: above).
- Niners using Crabtree to exploit the middle.
- Lot of CB blitzes by SF, which are successfully pressuring Rodgers into dumb/quick throws.

Q2:
- Bush got beat on long gainer to Moss then gets PI on next drive.
- Packers D unable to stop the run. SF OL getting to second level.
- Nick Perry on Michael Crabtree. Yes that happened.
- Lots of communication errors in Packers secondary (Burnett, Jennings, Bush).
- Finley has dropped 2 balls up to this point in the game (8:24 left in 2nd).
- Cobb and Nelson are the only WRs that showed up.
- Tramon Williams playing soft all day. Doesn't matter who he's matched up with. Terrible.
- Kaepernick comes in and the Packers play prevent. Capers is a moron.
- Akers hits a 63-yarder. Oh how the tables have turned.

Q3:
- Still can't stop the run. Incidentally, they always seem to run at Perry.
- The middle of the field is still wide open. Jarrett Bush coverage, folks!
- Pass rush looks like shit.
- Packers defense looks defeated on the sidelines.
- Running game looks absolutely abysmal.
- Now 3 drops, Finley was wide open on a slant.
- Oh look, more Staley holds.
- Oh look, more terrible run defense.
- He gets held but Finley drops his 4th.

Q4:
- Holding on Staley cherry finally gets popped. They should overload blitz this guy in the rematch.
- Can't throw picks, Aaron. Silly bitch.
- I think a good strategy would be to fake Cobb out of the backfield, throw slant/post. 49ers cheated up a lot.
- Pocket looking a lot cleaner in the 2nd half. 49ers D-Line must've burned out.
- Rodgers didn't exactly bring his "A-game" for Week 1. A handful of weak/dumb/forced throws.
- Cobb is money. Hopefully he's 100% on Saturday. Same with Nelson. Both paid great in this game.
- Fat shit Lang gets beaten like a redheaded stepchild, Rodgers gets sacked, effectively ending the game.

Other Thoughts:
- The refs were terrible. I'm going to say they were more terrible for the Packers but that punt return obviously meant points.
- The Packers run game was non-existant in this game. The more developed run game will be a big help to them in the rematch.
- A lot of terrible coverage in this game so Shields/Hayward in the secondary will help big time.
- Not much no huddle from the Packers in this game. Look for that to change in the rematch.
- The Packers had 10 penalties in this game. Can't have those.
- I hope the Packers will play the Niners like they did the Eagles in 2010. Stop the run, force the QB to throw, LB spy Kaepernick.
Too bad we have slowass Hawk and motherfucker Jones and not Bishop.
Nice. I'll be watching either tonight or tomorrow and add my own comments

Coincidentally, the Packers got both of their most recent SB wins during Fox broadcasts.
This man knows the wonders of Joe Buck

squicken

Firing these assistant coaches doesn't really bother me. Pat Y of ESPN said there had been friction between some of the offensive assistants, so maybe this is cleaning up that friction. Also, each of these three guys were the least experienced assistant coaches, so bringing in some more experience can only help Rivera. I bet that at least one of these assistant coaching positions is filled by a former HC (or a former coordinator at worst).

Good coaches don't uproot their families to take on one year deals. It's why not firing Rex is dumb in NYJ. It's just one of those thing where you can't take a half step unless it's something like HOU where they had Wade Phillips able to just bring in a whole defensive staff

for anyone that cares to watch:

All 49ers Offensive plays Vs. Packers in week 1 (in a condensed format!)

All 49ers Defensive plays Vs. Packers in week 1 (in a condensed format!)

one thing i noticed, and as i posted earlier, we really didn't get a significant amount of pressure on erron. there were a couple sacks and a few hurries but he really had plenty of time back there for the most part. he missed some throws, made some other great throws and got away with a couple should-have-been picks.

however, in the run game, packers line got absolutely mauled on both sides. bensons longest rush was 4 yards and erron led the team in rushing. cobb hurt us but mainly because they lined him up in the backfield a lot.

if we can make the packers 1 dimensional, get a couple sacks/hits on rodgers and kap can put up 2 or 3 TD drives then i like our chances. if the packers have any semblance of a running game or if our offense has a bunch of 3 and outs its going to be a long day for us. look at what our offense did in week 1: ran the ball and kept the packers off the field. our defense was a bit fresher for that final drive

one thing i noticed, and as i posted earlier, we really didn't get a significant amount of pressure on erron.
What they did was the next best thing.

He couldn't step up in the pocket and he'd often have to take extra steps back. He looked incredibly awkward doing it and it messed up his timing.

brentech

for anyone that cares to watch:

All 49ers Offensive plays Vs. Packers in week 1 (in a condensed format!)

All 49ers Defensive plays Vs. Packers in week 1 (in a condensed format!)

one thing i noticed, and as i posted earlier, we really didn't get a significant amount of pressure on erron. there were a couple sacks and a few hurries but he really had plenty of time back there for the most part. he missed some throws, made some other great throws and got away with a couple should-have-been picks.

however, in the run game, packers line got absolutely mauled on both sides. bensons longest rush was 4 yards and erron led the team in rushing. cobb hurt us but mainly because they lined him up in the backfield a lot.

if we can make the packers 1 dimensional, get a couple sacks/hits on rodgers and kap can put up 2 or 3 TD drives then i like our chances. if the packers have any semblance of a running game or if our offense has a bunch of 3 and outs its going to be a long day for us. look at what our offense did in week 1: ran the ball and kept the packers off the field. our defense was a bit fresher for that final drive
You guys mauled us all game. Only looks even half way respectable due to garbage points. Our offense looked like total shit week one and much of the early season for that matter. They had hot flashes, sure, but it was lightning in a bottle and we'd go back to looking like we never played together.

It's going to be a really interesting game. Especially if both teams actually come to play.

Top Bottom