• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Divisional 2012 |OT| Schaubenfraud

Let's be honest, they both have beautiful black bodies

steelers-head-coach-mike-tomlin-pittsburgh-205.jpg

AFC East Salary Cap situation:

Buffalo Bills: $20.6 million under
Miami Dolphins: $35.8 million under
New England Patriots: $18.6 million under
New York Jets: $19.4 million over
I knew the Jets weren't in the best position cap wise but I had no idea it was that bad. That team really is going to look completely different next year. On the other hand, the Dolphins are in a great position.

squicken

I guess recovery times from a second knee surgery are usually longer, too. Wouldn't expect an Adrian Peterson type recovery unless he gets some sort of extra special German cocktail

Yes, look at him. He's got a much less brittle looking body. I prefer RG3, but it's not just about getting down. Hes got a slimmer, seemingly more frail body

All Wilson has done is bulked more, that's something RGIII can easily do and guys tend to get stronger when they come into the league anyway. And if Wilson takes huge hits while scrambling his frame isn't going to help him. He's just been smarter.

He's definitely slimmer, but he's not Vick small. And yea, it's absolutely about getting down. He's taken big hits in the pocket all the year and literally none of them effected him. The hits that took him out where throwing his body forward for a 1st down and getting concussed as a result, and scrambling and not getting down properly and getting his knee blown out because of it.

Bowser

Panthers have a pretty terrible cap situation. We're projected to be roughly $15m over the cap. I think we have a $4m-$5m cap carryover from this year, so we'll need to cut roughly $10m just to be in compliance with the cap. We may end up having to cut Chris Gamble as he gives us the most immediate cap relief (~$8m). Cutting and/or trading Jon Beason and DeAngelo Williams (at least prior to June 1st) is out of the question as their signing bonuses would accelerate and hit the cap immediately, $12m and $9.6m cap hits, respectively.

Bleh.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/69706/carolinas-nightmare-cap-situation

I was thinking about this earlier, has there ever been a QB as dynamic as Wilson/Vick/RGIII who has stayed mostly healthy throughout their career? I can't think of any off of the top of my head. Obviously this style of QB wasn't nearly as prominent in the past as it is now though, so there isn't much history to go by.

I was thinking about this earlier, has there ever been a QB as dynamic as Wilson/Vick/RGIII who has stayed mostly healthy throughout their career? I can't think of any off of the top of my head. Obviously this style of QB wasn't nearly as prominent in the past as it is now though, so there isn't much history to go by.

The only guy that is really comparable is Randall Cunningham but he was hurt all the fucking time. Steve Young would run a lot but he was built like a running back.

The difference is in throwing ability/accuracy. Vick isn't accurate so he has to focus on running.

Wilson and RGIII are a different breed. They can run and throw.

DMczaf

Wilson didn't do the read option in college. He's mobile almost because he has to be, not because it's his thing.

Speaking of salary caps...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/87970/updated-look-at-nfc-west-cap-situations

Code:
NFC West Salary Cap Info
Team 		Carryover 	2013 Space
Seahawks 	$13,200,000 	$18,600,000
49ers 		$859,000 	$3,900,000
Rams 		$247,000 	$1,800,000
Cardinals 	$3,600,000 	-$723,000

Carolina $3.6M -$11.8M

The fuck are they spending money on?!

Bowser

They did sign stewart and williams to big ass contracts ;)
not to mention charles johnson got a big contract

At least Charles Johnson is worth it.

Beason's contract has proven to be a disaster, especially since Luke is now the MLB. $50m for a merely solid OLB is ridiculous. And of course, signing both D-Will and J-Stew to big money contracts. Should have picked one and moved on from the other. James Anderson getting a $25m contract for making a lot of tackles 8-12 yards downfield was pretty idiotic as well.

DSmalls84

Beason's contract has proven to be a disaster, especially since Luke is now the MLB. $50m for a merely solid OLB is ridiculous. And of course, signing both D-Will and J-Stew to big money contracts. Should have picked one and moved on from the other. James Anderson getting a $25m contract for making a lot of tackles 8-12 yards downfield was pretty idiotic as well.

Didn't they sign Tolbert as well or do they use him as a Full back?

Wilson and RGIII are a different breed. They can run and throw.
True, but what I'm really wondering is if that particular breed is sustainable. Can any QB who runs as much as those guys do stay somewhat consistently healthy over the course of their career or are they destined to miss games almost every season? Wilson's off to a good start at the least.

Bowser

Didn't they sign Tolbert as well or do they use him as a Full back?

We use him in a variety of ways, as a H-back, FB, slot receiver, etc. We got him pretty cheap ($10m over 4 years IIRC), which just further emphasizes we should have only kept one of J-Stew or D-Will. I actually think D-Will would have been better to keep instead of J-Stew. J-Stew would have fetched more in a trade being younger and with less tread on his tires, but he's also more injury-prone. Oh well now.

jakncoke

Banned

We did that twice, 3 times if you want to count Timmons contract

squicken

1. The decision was clearly made by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, not the head coach Jason Garrett. Jones said he would consult "outside counsel" on his team before making decisions. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that those reviews of Rob Ryan weren't positive.

They believed Ryan's schemes were "unsound" and that he wasn't aggressive enough this year. If the GM of the team needs to go to outside counsel to decide on his own staff, you need a new GM. If the head coach can't make up his own staff, you might have the wrong head coach.

2. Ryan's firing points out the uncomfortable reality that Ryan has coached circles around Jason Garrett the last two seasons. The Cowboys defense hasn't been great, but it quickly improved from the 32-ranked unit Ryan took over in 2011. Garrett's offense has been sloppier with more talent at its disposal overall. The offense is unimaginative and doesn't create advantages for its players. It repeatedly makes mental mistakes. The Cowboys defense played well early this year before a ton of injuries hit.

"When you play that way for the first 10 games, you're supposed to be 9-1 and or 10-0," Ryan told ESPNDallas.com. "We were 5-5."

Garrett's game management decisions probably cost the Cowboys two games alone.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...upset-by-rob-ryan-firing?campaign=Twitter_atl

jakncoke

Banned
Timmons is just "Solid"? :jnc.

All 3 can be great/epic whichever term you want to describe, all 3 also can disappear for great periods as well. Do I regret his contract? or any of the 3 ? Not really, you gotta spend the money or else you're the Bucs. But lets not pretend they dont have their flaws.

Cowboys are in such a bad position. Their 3 biggest problems are all unfixable at the moment. The GM, the HC, and the QB are all stuck there for another year. Jerry had to fire someone after he said big changes were coming, and he cant get rid of the QB, even though Romo is 1-6 in elimination games, since there is no one available that would be an upgrade. He wont fire the coach since he needs a HC he can push around and anyone willing to take the job wouldnt be any better. If he is serious about winning he would step down as GM and get a guy in there that could do the job, but winning really does seem to be second to stroking his ego.

Browns are gonna interview Mike Zimmer from thr Bengals.

The media seems really high on him.

I love him as a HC. I really hope the Eagles hire him at some point. His players always play hard for him and he seems to get the most out of guys, even though the Bengals get a lot of low character guys. I think he would be a really good hire for you guys.

The Bengals D is pretty solid, the players seems to love him, and the Browns also have some nice pieces to work with so who knows. Maybe it could work if he's able to bring some solid coaches with him.

All 3 can be great/epic whichever term you want to describe, all 3 also can disappear for great periods as well. Do I regret his contract? or any of the 3 ? Not really, you gotta spend the money or else you're the Bucs. But lets not pretend they dont have their flaws.

Ever position player on every team has their flaws. Comparing Lawrence Timmons to Jon Beason is just stupid.

squicken

Cowboys are in such a bad position. Their 3 biggest problems are all unfixable at the moment. The GM, the HC, and the QB are all stuck there for another year. Jerry had to fire someone after he said big changes were coming, and he cant get rid of the QB, even though Romo is 1-6 in elimination games, since there is no one available that would be an upgrade. He wont fire the coach since he needs a HC he can push around and anyone willing to take the job wouldnt be any better. If he is serious about winning he would step down as GM and get a guy in there that could do the job, but winning really does seem to be second to stroking his ego.

Romo is not elite but he is an above average and you can win with him. But at this stage of his career he needs a good coach who can transition him to game manager who only has to make a few plays a game (like Elway w/ Shanny)

Right now he has to do everything. No OL. Shit plays. It's like every play they just had to outwork everyone. Never a free lunch. No giant holes for RBs. No WRs running free in the secondary. Garrett's a bad coach but a good hand puppet, so he stays

Milchjon

They're the only Gawker site I enjoy reading aside from Lifehacker. I also think Gizmodo is far worse than Kotaku.

Gizmodo sucks ass. Kotaku seems to be bad, but I never read them.

But Deadspin and Jalopnik are fun. (I sometimes read Jezebel too). And Gawker in general doesn't seem to be afraid too go further than others. They seem to be breaking a lot of stories these days. Sometimes they even have interesting longform stuff.

Feel like Whitlock has the most balanced perspective on the RG3/Shanny mess:

More than the health of his knee, more than Mike Shanahan’s alleged negligence, here’s what concerned me about Robert Griffin’s first playoff appearance:

RG3 bought the hype -- his own.

His postgame comments explaining why he stayed in the game beyond the first quarter revealed a young man who had crossed the thin line between confidence and arrogance.

“I don’t feel like me being out there hurt the team in any way,” Griffin proclaimed. “I’m the best option for this team, and that’s why I’m the starter.”

That’s true when Griffin is healthy. He was clearly not healthy on Sunday, especially after he tweaked his already-injured knee late in the first quarter. On a gimpy leg, Griffin tossed a second touchdown pass and staked the Redskins to a 14-0 lead over the Seattle Seahawks.

From that moment on, he was awful and a liability to his team. He couldn’t plant on his right leg or accurately throw the football downfield. He couldn’t run much either. He limped sideways for nine yards on one play, and you wondered why he stayed in the game.

You can’t be Willis Reed in the 1970 NBA Finals and play quarterback in the NFL. Inspiration only goes so far at the QB position.

Obviously, Mike Shanahan should’ve pulled his 22-year-old quarterback from the game. My initial thoughts during the game and in the immediate aftermath of Griffin re-injuring his knee in the fourth quarter were that Shanahan should be disciplined by Redskins owner Daniel Snyder for jeopardizing Griffin’s future.

My feelings reflected the emotions of my Twitter following. Football fans from across the country berated Shanahan for his perceived negligence, particularly since USA Today reported that earlier in the season Washington’s team doctor -- James Andrews -- said he did not clear Griffin to re-enter the Ravens contest.

On Monday morning, syndicated morning radio host Tom Joyner analogized Shanahan to the slave owner, Calvin Candie, in the popular movie Django Unchained. Candie trained and fought “Mandingo” fighters. He brutalized them.

I get the point Joyner was trying to make. But he does not understand the politics of football in this era.

Griffin has more power than Shanahan. It wasn’t until I heard Griffin’s postgame comments that I realized Griffin used that power to play in Sunday’s game. Griffin made it clear in his postgame news conference that he desperately wanted to play in Sunday’s contest and that he repeatedly made it clear to Shanahan that he wanted to stay in the game.

Sitting Griffin isn’t as easy as it sounds, especially when the Redskins held the lead until midway through the fourth quarter. In fact, it wasn’t until the Seahawks took a 21-14 lead that Griffin’s knee completely gave out when he tried to scoop up a bad snap from his center.

Until that moment, Griffin likely had visions of a Gatorade commercial dancing in his head. He likely thought he was in the middle of his Michael Jordan flu game. He could see Bill Simmons preparing a 30-for-30 documentary about the day he beat the Seattle Seahawks on one leg.

Griffin stated that had the coaching staff tried to sit him, he would’ve run back onto the field. So with his team leading for the overwhelming majority of the game and his star QB defiant, what was Shanahan to do?

I’m not excusing Shanahan. But I’m saying there was considerable risk in benching RG3. Shanahan could’ve fractured his relationship with his rookie quarterback. Had RG3 complained in the aftermath, some of the very same people crucifying Shanahan for leaving him in the game would be crucifying Shanahan for taking him out.

Shanahan, who is white, is in a difficult spot. The Redskins represent one of the blackest and the most politically charged cities in America. Griffin, who is black, is a phenom. Black people and black sports fans are itching to discuss his race and itching to complain about racial unfairness as it relates to Griffin. Rob Parker’s misguided statements about Griffin being a “cornball brother” don’t begin to do justice to all the different ways Griffin is being discussed.

Shanahan submitted to the will of his star QB and was analogized to the fictional slave owner of Candyland.

The QB that everyone wanted Shanahan to send onto the field -- Kirk Cousins -- is the same QB some criticized Shanahan for drafting last year when he had already selected Griffin in the first round.

Shanahan could see what we could see. Griffin was hurting his team trying to be a hero. But Shanahan is in a political quagmire. Any decision he makes with Griffin can be second-guessed and spun into a Django analogy.

Moving forward, Shanahan will need the help of his young quarterback to navigate these dangerous waters. That’s going to require some humility and self-awareness from Griffin.

tldr: they're both idiots.

Not even worth reading. RGIII had nothing to lose by being benched and it wouldn't have hurt his relationship with Shanny, who doesn't give a shit about what people think about him to begin with. The man is all business.

I don't blame the race horse if it wants to race! But contrary to what that article would have you believe, Shanny is the one with the power. It's his responsibility.

Talon

Every franchise QB in the league would want to start that playoff game. It's up to the coach to protect the player from himself.

Idk that's the type of cap space where we better land a big name FA or I'm pissed.
Yeah, I just hope they can do it without killing their ability to fix some of the other glaring issues on the roster. Ireland has a lot of cap space and draft picks to work with though, so it'll be exciting to see what happens. There is so much potential for great success and for massive failure in this off-season.

effzee

Damn 35M in space + we're gonna let Long go. Welcome to Miami Jennings and/or D Bowe!

I haven't been following. Long has been a bust?

Also surprised it took this long for Zimmer to get an interview.

On the topic of mobile QBs who couldn't either stay healthy or maintain that style of running...McNabb wad pretty good throwing and running. But then he started getting hurt and eventually had two back to back season ending injuries. He came back and played decent but didn't run much at all anymore.

Talon

No. He's been hurt the last two seasons - most of this year.

Another vote of confidence for Zimmer here. He was the DC during the dark Petrino 2007 season, and his unit consistently kept us in games that we had no business staying within a score or two of with the Joey Harrington/Byron Leftwich (only 2 healthy quarters)/Chris Redman circus. Player's loved him, and it seems like he got shit on while at Dallas (forced to play 34 that he had little familiarity with due to Parcell's marching orders).

NFL Article said:
They believed Ryan's schemes were "unsound" and that he wasn't aggressive enough this year.
I would love to see a breakdown of the percentage of time Ryan blitzed as opposed to playing coverage. Having watched the Cowboys defense pretty regularly, that's an asinine statement considering what he had to work with after all of the injuries that defense sustained.

Kave_Man said:

Zimmer is an excellent coach. I'm a big fan and his getting a HC opportunity is long overdue.

Not a bust, but he has regressed some in the past two years and he's also been hampered with injuries so it's really just that he probably won't be worth the enormous amount of money he'll want. When Long went down during the season Jonathan Martin (a rookie) switched from RT to LT to take his spot and he looked fairly decent which is another reason why the Dolphins probably won't be willing to spend the money to keep Long. That did create a new problem though, the Dolphins don't have a decent RT now, so it'll be interesting to see how they address that. I'm guessing they'll draft a RT and let Long go.

Cant believe I didnt think of Mcnabb but he was a great running QB in the beginning. Once he started getting hurt every year he totally stopped running.

Top Bottom