• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Divisional 2012 |OT| Schaubenfraud

Wrayfield

ilFTGwGyOnFAl.gif

Marvel at my ability to paste an avatar on top of Freeman's head.

Cruel but funny. :)

I was gonna come in and make a joke about how anytime the falcons get a bye week they will end up facing a QB with more playoffs wins than Matt Ryan but then I saw all the Viking pictures and got sad.

I'm sorry Atlanta fans. Go win it all and make 98 count for something.

Tabris

A Ray Lewis-retiring Baltimore is the #1 team I'm afraid of out of this group, no matter how bad Joe Flacco is, and we play them Saturday.

HOLD ME GODSLAY!

Ænima

BAL @ DEN | GB @ SF | SEA @ ATL | HOU @ NE

AFC games will be easy wins. Seattle wins due to being tougher and more well-rounded than Atl. Niners lose due to Kaep inexperience.

RBH

I was gonna come in and make a joke about how anytime the falcons get a bye week they will end up facing a QB with more playoffs wins than Matt Ryan but then I saw all the Viking pictures and got sad.

I'm sorry Atlanta fans. Go win it all and make 98 count for something.

YEAH!

We got one person on our side!

I already can't wait for next weekend, all of the games will be fun to watch. Divisional week is probably the best week of the year for football games. Too bad the Dolphins have no part in it, though.

Side note: RGIII, Luck, and Tannehill have all won the same number of playoff games. Tannehill has lost the least of the three. Wilson doesn't count because his team is loaded.

eznark

Banned
I don't normally dip into King's schlock Larry King impersonator column but I was told there was a Gil Brandt sighting, and I love me some Gil!

Gil Brandt loves him some Johnny Manziel.
Don't get excited, Chiefs or Jags fans. The earliest Manziel could be eligible for the NFL Draft is April 2014. Even though he's only 20, and just 6-foot-1 and 200 pounds, he had a Cotton Bowl Friday night that veteran conscience-of-the-NFL Gil Brandt told me was "the best game I've ever seen a player play in college football." Considering that the 79-year-old Brandt has been scouting college players for 52 years, that's quite a statement. Manziel, the Heisman Trophy winner, rushed for 229 yards and two scores, and threw for 287 yards and two scores, as Texas A&M beat Oklahoma 41-13. "It's the best individual effort I've seen,'' Brandt said. "The players we got in the game on defense now are a lot faster than ever before. I don't know how you describe this guy. He is so unique. He's just got unbelievable quickness and such great change of direction -- and remember, he didn't do this against a bad team. He played one of the better teams in college football, and he was a man among boys.'' As for Manziel's NFL prospects, Brandt said: "The game is changing a little bit in the NFL, and quarterbacks are running a lot now. He is not a great passer, but he is a more-than-accurate passer. I think he will translate to the pro game well. The only thing that worries me about him is he's a slightly built, I shouldn't say that, but not that well-built a guy for the NFL.
"I don't know if he can run the option without getting hurt. In saying that, did we think Wilson and Griffin would be like they are? No.''
Sounds like he'll be the ultimate debatable player when he comes out.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130107/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-nfl-playoffs-wild-card/#ixzz2HIW57EKV

I think it's interesting that Brandt's only concern is that he is slightly built. Manziel has at least two years to bulk up and work on his sloppy mechanics. Definitely a fascinating guy to watch.

cdyhybrid

Unless you're a tank like Cam/Tebow you'll never be able to fully run the option safely in the NFL. QBs will have be very good about avoiding hits like Russell is if they want to do it.

bionic77

Unless you're a tank like Cam/Tebow you'll never be able to fully run the option safely in the NFL. QBs will have be very good about avoiding hits like Russell is if they want to do it.
Unless you duck and cover under pressure like Tammy and Peyton as well you are going to get hurt in the NFL. Whether it is trying to extend the play, trying to deliver while getting hit or running the ball.

But on the other hand it seems like the guys who are willing to take the hits are the ones winning championships. And most fans would rather use up their qb and players in a few seasons of brilliance then them be pussies and try and extend their career into their 40s.

So many of you picking the Texans. We're underdogs again!

When we lose, I'll pledge my allegiance to The Matural and the Falcons!

eznark

Banned

You don't have to though, that's the thing. And it's the thing that people like Kastrioti and "gimmick offense" casuals are overlooking. The fact that he can run freezes the linebacker/end enough to create a seam for the dive give or to allow a gap in the zone over the top of the linebacker. A QB who keeps it 5-6 times but gets a first down on each of those runs is terrifying to a defensive coordinator. Excellent safety play can impact that a lot (we saw that a bit yesterday as the Seahawks were able to take away a lot of those open ins at 10-15 yards that RG3 lives off of via play action, but otherwise it's tough. The best way people are explaining it is that it creates 11-11 football and we are at a point in the NFL where the better athletes (and the rulebook) tips the scales to the offense.

It's interesting to me that IRG3 is fully aware of just how brittle he is, and plays with it in mind. Yesterday they mentioned that when he releases the ball he immediately puts his hands up/out to show he doesn't have the ball. After this knee injury, I can only think he'll be even more conscious of that going forward.

Dragon

Banned
Unless you duck and cover under pressure like Tammy and Peyton as well you are going to get hurt in the NFL. Whether it is trying to extend the play, trying to deliver while getting hit or running the ball.

But on the other hand it seems like the guys who are willing to take the hits are the ones winning championships. And most fans would rather use up their qb and players in a few seasons of brilliance then them be pussies and try and extend their career into their 40s.

Most fans don't get to choose. Maybe we just want to watch the world burn.

bionic77

Most fans don't get to choose. Maybe we just want to watch the world burn.
I certainly am ok with that after the way this season ended.

The Pats also having a legit shot to win the SB despite being hot garbage doesn't help my mood either.

Don't you try to make yourself to be the underdog, Dutch! We got here fair and square.

It's going to be the Jets from '09 or the Broncos from last year. Or we lose after blowing you out in the reg season in a embarrassing fashion ala the Jets or we continue where we left off and leave you guys crying in the bathroom stall after being violated by us.

My guess is option 1.

The Pats also having a legit shot to win the SB despite being hot garbage doesn't help my mood either.

No Eli improves our odds, but we suck. My bet is Godgers gets his second ring.

Dragon

Banned

Theres no one in the AFC that's all that great. I would be more excited about the pats but they went 1-3 against the NFC. Not exactly confidence inducing. If they do make the SB, hopefully it won't be against a team that can actually play defense.

JCizzle

Shanny is still the worst coach in the league this morning. What a total prick. I hope his tanning bed burns him good after what he did to RG3

bionic77

Before last week I really liked Seattle's chances because they got to play Atlanta and they are probably the only team with a great secondary left in the playoffs (playing primarily passing teams), but Wussle is giving me doubt.

I also assumed that the Niners would stomp the Packers and that the Broncos would make it to the SB. Now I don't know what to think anymore. Ray's knife is as sharp as ever and the Niners inspire no confidence. I mean in this current shit league I could even see Matt Ryan winning a playoff game or two.

The schedule is BS!

WTF

The Ravens played on Sunday, and they have to play again this Saturday? While the Texans played on Saturday and get to play Sunday.

Of course Tom Brady is scheduled to play on Sunday.

This league is ridiculous and so transparent.

bionic77

Shanny is still the worst coach in the league this morning. What a total prick. I hope his tanning bed burns him good after what he did to RG3
I am pretty sure he did not plan for that to happen and RG3 also wanted to play.

And it isn't going to be talked about but I am sure the Hawks were gunning for that gimpy knee and trying to take his ass out.

jmdajr

It's going to be the Jets from '09 or the Broncos from last year. Or we lose after blowing you out in the reg season in a embarrassing fashion ala the Jets or we continue where we left off and leave you guys crying in the bathroom stall after being violated by us.

My guess is option 1.

No one is going to be crying. That's done with.
We know we need a miracle to win.

Wes

venison crêpe
So how many of you can still say their pre-season superbowl prediction is still on course?

BAL @ DEN | GB @ SF | SEA @ ATL | HOU @ NE

eznark

Banned
I had Denver - GB and I think a ton of other people did as well.

Before last week I really liked Seattle's chances because they got to play Atlanta and they are probably the only team with a great secondary left in the playoffs (playing primarily passing teams), but Wussle is giving me doubt.

I also assumed that the Niners would stomp the Packers and that the Broncos would make it to the SB. Now I don't know what to think anymore. Ray's knife is as sharp as ever and the Niners inspire no confidence. I mean in this current shit league I could even see Matt Ryan winning a playoff game or two.

Only way this happens is if Gonzalez has 15 catches and 3 touchdowns. He is their sole hope.

jmdajr

The schedule is BS!

WTF

The Ravens played on Sunday, and they have to play again this Saturday? While the Texans played on Saturday and get to play Sunday.

Of course Tom Brady is scheduled to play on Sunday.

This league is ridiculous and so transparent.

Well Texans played on Sunday and had to play Saturday. It's just reversed now.

Top Bottom