• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Divisional 2012 |OT| Schaubenfraud

squicken

Demarcus Ware.gif

Redskins/Cowboys is what truly sold me on the longevity of the Read option. Ware was a statue. Many of the plays went to his side and he was so frozen with indecision the Redksins removed him from the game.

Rams had to pull Robert Quinn for the same reason vs Wilson for lots of game. Even Long was too undisciplined to keep his lane. Funny that all that money and and draft capital was rendered impotent at times by a little QB who just might try to sweep around them. Haslett did take a page from STL and blitzed quite a bit. Tried to force Wilson to make quicker decisions. He got out vs WAS more than he did vs STL. Nolan is supposed to be smart so we'll see how he attacks it

Soldier Field is kept intentionally loose. The CPD does a great job making that field the exact conditions that Lovie specified. It'll be funny to see how much nicer it is going forward without him there.

Is this really true? Having a terrible field is a bennifitinary to nobody is it? It affects you as much as your opposing team...

eznark

Banned
Helps the defense against an offense like GB. That's the theory anyway. And Lovie was unhealthily obsessed with beating the Packers.

Rams had to pull Robert Quinn for the same reason vs Wilson for lots of game vs Wilson. Even Long was too undisciplined to keep his lane. Funny that all that money and and draft capital was rendered impotent at times by a little QB who just might try to sweep around them

It'll be a ton of fun to see the first few games next year and what teams do to scheme it on the defensive side of the ball. It'll probably just be a spring focused on teaching and hammering home assignments but it would also be fun to see some teams like the Rams who aren't deep anywhere really doing some goofy stuff.

effzee

So Chip Kelly dangled a carrot and ended up going back to Oregon. what a troll.
So who does the Browns and Eagles end up with now?

Still plenty of quality of assistants and coordinators available.

Eagles interviewed McCoy yesterday. They have interviews with Arians and Bradley lined up either tomorrow or early this week. They already interviewed Nolan last week. And maybe more candidates from the current playoff teams.

I am not alarmed. They didn't lose out to anybody. Brien stayed put and so is Kelly.

Horton is still out there.

Anyway a question about teams that hire a coordinator or assistant on a current playoff team. They have to wait till the team is eliminated or wins the SB before they can officially sign them right? So if the Eagles decide to hire Bradley, they have to wait till the Seahawks are eliminated before he gets announced?

Slo

So Chip Kelly dangled a carrot and ended up going back to Oregon. what a troll.
So who does the Browns and Eagles end up with now?

TiceHat.jpg

Is this really true? Having a terrible field is a bennifitinary to nobody is it? It affects you as much as your opposing team...

Bears management has been against moving away from real grass. The McCaskeys claim its a player safety issue, and believe synthetic surfaces cause more injuries. I don't know if Lovie was responsible for that line of thinking, but I guess we'll find out.

Slo

Even for the playoffs slo? I thought we were bros.

At least go with David Carr!

Or this:

jerry-rice-fumble-IFB02S-e1357494060444.jpg

Trust me, I wanted this avatar thing to be over with last Saturday just as much as you did. It's like I'm being held hostage!

My second choice was this:

5333cd80417b5f1d09933af8a9f48019.jpg

eznark

Banned
Didn't they push your team's shit in during the regular season?

And they should be healthy after the bye.

What has changed since the first game?

Alex Smith played amazing in that game. I personally doubt that Kaepernick can do the same but maybe he can. Gore isn't fresh. Packers aren't looking forward to the more important divisional game against the Bears.

I don't know, game was in September. It's ages ago. These are very different teams. The Packers have a totally different offensive line. 49ers have a new QB.

End of the day though Rodgers got outplayed by Alex Smith. I don't see Kaepernick doing the same.

If Cheather Smith is out, Cheater Smith Jr. will be useless.

RGIII on Facebook said:
Many may question, criticize & think they have all the right answers. But few have been in the line of fire in battle.

derp

Nice to see he has heart, but sit yo ass down next time clown

We'd have lost anyway lol. Cousins was getting his ass lit up. Funny how a literal one legged RGIII escapes the rush better than a 100% Cousins.

Alex Smith played amazing in that game. I personally doubt that Kaepernick can do the same but maybe he can. Gore isn't fresh. Packers aren't looking forward to the more important divisional game against the Bears.

I don't know, game was in September. It's ages ago. These are very different teams. The Packers have a totally different offensive line. 49ers have a new QB.

End of the day though Rodgers got outplayed by Alex Smith. I don't see Kaepernick doing the same.

If Cheather Smith is out, Cheater Smith Jr. will be useless.

I don't think Kaepernick has to be lights out.

The Packers have a problem with good running teams, and the 49ers are stout across their o-line and running game. All Kaepernick has to do is make enough plays to keep the D guessing.

Packers receivers also don't respond well to being bullied; particularly Jennings. Both the 49ers and Seahawks are bad matchups in that regard.

I dunno, I think if any team is gonna beat the Pack this post season it'll be the Niners.

Yikes. Just going through my usual rotation of sports writers...
Most of them are letting Shanahan have it for keeping RG3 in. Damn.

derp

Nice to see he has heart, but sit yo ass down next time clown

We'd have lost anyway lol. Cousins was getting his ass lit up. Funny how a literal one legged RGIII escapes the rush better than a 100% Cousins.

Quarterbacks gonna Quarterback.

This is a coach's decision. I applaud RGIII for wanting to play but ultimately it was up to Shanahan.

Same with Ben. Ben always thinks he can play. If Tomlin lets him and he aggravates his injury the blame is on Tomlin.

eznark

Banned

The Packers have a problem with good running teams, and the 49ers are stout across their o-line and running game. All Kaepernick has to do is make enough plays to keep the D guessing.

Packers receivers also don't respond well to being bullied; particularly Jennings. Both the 49ers and Seahawks are bad matchups in that regard.

I dunno, I think if any team is gonna beat the Pack this post season it'll be the Niners.

A fresh Gore only ran for 100. It's not like he ran wild. Hopefully prepping for Peterson will have them ready. If they can stay flat like they did against AP, Gore has no chance. This game is going to come down to Kaep's ability to make plays. He's definitely capable, but I don't think the 49ers will be able to win on the back of Gore.

Definitely possible. To me it's a coin flip game. In no way am I as confident as I was about Minnesota. I also don't think it makes a difference home/away in this case really.

A fresh Gore only ran for 100. It's not like he ran wild. Hopefully prepping for Peterson will have them ready. If they can stay flat like they did against AP, Gore has no chance. This game is going to come down to Kaep's ability to make plays. He's definitely capable, but I don't think the 49ers will be able to win on the back of Gore.

Definitely possible. To me it's a coin flip game. In no way am I as confident as I was about Minnesota. I also don't think it makes a difference home/away in this case really.

Yeah. Kap is the X factor.

1 or two critical interceptions and it's game over.

Poor Houston-GAF. :(

The Houston Texans don't have to look far for bulletin board material. They can wait for the end of the week, when it's likely that no one will pick them against the New England Patriots. Or they can read Dan Shaughnessy's column in the Boston Globe.

Some choice sections:

1. "Could this get any easier? I mean, seriously? The planets are aligned and the tomato cans are in place. The fraudulent Houston Texans are the only team standing between the New England Patriots and a trip to the AFC Championship game."

2. Comparing the Texans to the 2010 Jets, who won in Foxborough after getting blown out in the regular season, Shaughnessy says:

"Those Jets had players and a coach who did not wet their pants at the sight of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. Those Jets had attitude. The 2012-13 Texans? Pure frauds. The worst 11-1 team in the history of the NFL. These Texans have absolutely zero chance of beating New England here next week. And everybody knows that this is true."

It goes on from there, but you get the idea. Getting a rise of his readers is part of Shaughnessy's job. For the latter part of his career, it feels like the main part of his job. The chances of Shaughnessy having actually watched the Texans play outside of that game against the Patriots is slimmer than the Texans' chances of winning on Sunday, but that's not the point.

The Texans have their fuel. Bill Belichick will give Houston all the respect in the world, but this really is how many folks, especially in Boston, view this game. (Belichick will surely love seeing this column.)

I feel differently. The Texans are far more dangerous than last year's Denver Broncos team that went into New England last year. While we don't quite trust the offense to score enough points, the defense has enough pieces to give Tom Brady problems.

The Patriots are heavy favorites in this game, and they should be. But let's not get carried away. The Texans soundly beat the other two teams still left in the AFC playoffs. New England didn't exactly finish the season strong, and the Texans are still a team capable of beating any team on a given day.

Even if they look like tomato cans to the untrained eye.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000123344/article/are-the-houston-texans-tomato-cans-and-frauds

eznark said:
You don't have to though, that's the thing. And it's the thing that people like Kastrioti and "gimmick offense" casuals are overlooking. The fact that he can run freezes the linebacker/end enough to create a seam for the dive give or to allow a gap in the zone over the top of the linebacker. A QB who keeps it 5-6 times but gets a first down on each of those runs is terrifying to a defensive coordinator. Excellent safety play can impact that a lot (we saw that a bit yesterday as the Seahawks were able to take away a lot of those open ins at 10-15 yards that RG3 lives off of via play action, but otherwise it's tough. The best way people are explaining it is that it creates 11-11 football and we are at a point in the NFL where the better athletes (and the rulebook) tips the scales to the offense.
A little late to respond but great post.

Little else to add outside of being genuinely curious to see how its addressed from both a personnel and scheme perspective for multiple teams in the offseason. Specifically for a team like the Giants who are guaranteed to face it twice a year anymore.

I think the game comes down to Justin Smith's health and whether or not the Packers' O-Line can keep Rodgers upright.

Hopefully McCarthy brings a good game plan.

Thank goodness we have Harris. Definitely helps us out with beating the rush. Maybe Green will be healthy to boot!

eznark

Banned
Yeah. Kap is the X factor.

1 or two critical interceptions and it's game over.

Or a couple overthrows on key third downs. If the Packers can score those 14 unanswered points that they've been able to in critical situations this year it's going to be real tough for the 49ers to keep up. That said if it's a slug fest I like their chances.

I wouldn't be shocked at any outcome in this one. It's not hard to envision a scenario where either team blows the other out.

Greg

Raji has been playing big and they haven't been that bad against the run outside of those 2 Vikings games.

I think the game rides on the Packers having a fast start. They'll be able to sustain drives with Gore, but I don't think it'll matter if the Packers put points up early.

We need Finley to have a big game. For all his faults the guy can be as physical as anyone. He has really turned it on the last few weeks and if the 49ers are going to want to keep playing cover 2 he should have opportunities. Add in Cobb being even more of a focus I think they'll be better able to attack the middle of the field.

Plus we have a run game now with a center who can bite back a little and keep their D honest. Benson was in that first game and he's better than our current guys, sure, but that was his first week after being a late addition to the team. He didn't know any of the playbook which also threw off some of our protection schemes.

I don't see the 49ers shutting Rodgers down. Like you said it'll be up to the defense to slow their offense. The Packers have been decent against the run, just not against Peterson. Gore did gash them week 1 though.

Or a couple overthrows on key third downs. If the Packers can score those 14 unanswered points that they've been able to in critical situations this year it's going to be real tough for the 49ers to keep up. That said if it's a slug fest I like their chances.

I wouldn't be shocked at any outcome in this one. It's not hard to envision a scenario where either team blows the other out.
I think the Packers will win again this week in large part because Rodgers is better and more experienced than Kaep. I know that's oversimplifying it but a lot of times that's what it comes down to in the playoffs, as evidenced by the majority of the games this past weekend. The only way I see the 49ers winning is if they sack Rodgers 5+ times, and that just doesn't seem likely to me. Then again, maybe Kaep has some hidden clutch gene that activates in the playoffs.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Anyone feel like all of this Arians HC talk is a bit short sighted? How many HC-less teams fit the "professional/intelligent/talented quarterback with great protection" bill that his system requires to succeed? Yeah, the Colts went 11-5, but the majority of those were 4th quarter comebacks/game-winning drives. Our most dominant games were against Houston at home and the Jags away (lol).

After watching the game yesterday and seeing the lack of talent across the board, I'm amazed by Arians. There's just no way that team should've won 11 games. #ChuckStrong

eznark

Banned
I think they are too soft, have played in way too soft a division and will be out-muscled. Also, Sherman and Browner are really, really good.

We need Finley to have a big game. For all his faults the guy can be as physical as anyone. He has really turned it on the last few weeks and if the 49ers are going to want to keep playing cover 2 he should have opportunities. Add in Cobb being even more of a focus I think they'll be better able to attack the middle of the field.

That's really the most surprising thing to me. The past two years he has "chipped" ends by brushing them and leaking out. The second half of this year he has been demolishing guys at the line before getting into his route. It's pretty incredible to see the turnaround. I guess Rodgers really is taking him out to dinner more! That plus always making a huge point to mention Finley in his radio show. Rodgers know what a little kid Finley is and has been stroking his ego. It's working!

Plus we have a run game now with a center who can bite back a little and keep their D honest. Benson was in that first game and he's better than our current guys, sure, but that was his first week after being a late addition to the team. He didn't know any of the playbook which also threw off some of our protection schemes.

I don't see the 49ers shutting Rodgers down. Like you said it'll be up to the defense to slow their offense. The Packers have been decent against the run, just not against Peterson. Gore did gash them week 1 though.

Do you guys really have a run game?

I said it before, but the Viking were playing high to keep Rodgers from getting deep on them and as a result gave up the runs and short routes. Niners corners are much better than the Vikings. They won't have to sell out as much to shut the Pack down.

Godslay

Banned
A Ray Lewis-retiring Baltimore is the #1 team I'm afraid of out of this group, no matter how bad Joe Flacco is, and we play them Saturday.

HOLD ME GODSLAY!

:jnc

Denver just has to play mistake free football.

Lewis is a good story, and they are more healthy, that's a plus for them. Look back to the AFC Championship last year. Brady, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, and Edelman irc, all took advantage of Lewis declining ability. Denver will have to do the same thing.

If we eat up with the gooey core of their defense, it's going to open the door for both the running game, as well as opportunities for DT & Decker due to a safety having to come down to assist Lewis, and forcing more 1 on 1s for the WRs. We just have to get it rolling right away, and not look back. . If we build any rhythm, and the no huddle is rolling, their defense will tire out.

Have a little faith that the team will get it done. We don't have to be cocky, just believe that if they play like they have been playing, they will succeed.

eznark

Banned
Do you guys really have a run game?

I said it before, but the Viking were playing high to keep Rodgers from getting deep on them and as a result gave up the runs and short routes. Niners corners are much better than the Vikings. They won't have to sell out as much to shut the Pack down.

If nothing else the Packers are running the ball more. They had 9 attempts in week 1!

The Post has a story up on Jets PSL sales (or lack thereof)

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/jet_fans_agony_of_da_seat_WYQbF841gstG9ElHn4hfZN

In the days since Gang Green’s miserable season ended, secondary-market Web sites have been flooded with thousands of ads by Jets fans offering PSLs at bargain-basement prices. More than 1,100 Jets PSLs alone were listed for sale last week at seasonticketrights.com, the world’s largest PSL broker. Most were priced well below what fans originally paid.

An owner of four “Coaches Club” PSLs behind the Jets bench paid $30,000 for each seat but is now trying to unload them for $12,000 a pop.

Another holder of two nearby seats who paid $60,000 combined is offering his for a total of $20,000.

And two mid-level seats that originally carried PSL fees of $4,000 each were up for sale for a mere $500 combined.

“Coaches Club” tickets run $700 each, so someone with two seats must shell out $14,000 yearly for 10 games including preseason — on top of the $60,000 plus interest they’re spending for the PSLs. However, these same tickets went for roughly half-price on StubHub for most games this past season.“I’d rather take a hit now on the PSLs than continue paying $14,000 year after year for tickets I can get much cheaper through scalpers,” said a Manhattan banker, who’s trying to dump two “Coaches Club” PSLs for half the price of the $50,000 he paid.

The Jets charge an average of $117.94 per ticket for non-premium seats, tops in the NFL, according to Team Marketing Report

That's some pricey shit!

The run game is budding but they have developed their pass-to-run which is even better.

We finally got a checkdown back.

You fuckers are doomed.

Talon

You don't think Julio and Roddy match well against their corners?
I'm interested to see how the officials call the game early. Browner and Sherman do more than hand fight as Packers fans can attest. At the same time, Juilo and especially Roddy like to be physical at the top of their routes. Our receivers and their corners are tailor-made for each other.

Frankly, I'm concerned about Mike Smith trying to prove a point with Turner with Clemons likely being out.
The run game is budding but they have developed their pass-to-run which is even better.

We finally got a checkdown back.

You fuckers are doomed.
image.php

I'm interested to see how the officials call the game early. Browner and Sherman do more than hand fight as Packers fans can attest. At the same time, Juilo and especially Roddy like to be physical at the top of their routes. Our receivers and their corners are tailor-made for each other.

I've seen Roddy White flat out throw corners to the ground on some routes. Should be a good matchup.

squicken

After watching the game yesterday and seeing the lack of talent across the board, I'm amazed by Arians. There's just no way that team should've won 11 games. #ChuckStrong

They played 10 games vs teams with bottom 10 offenses. Even the moderately competent Ravens offense was too much for their defense, and their offensive line was over-matched all year. What was trouble for them was that their little WRs got intimidated by the Ravens secondary.

Avery needs to be gone, and they need to find a Boldin type to eventually replace Wayne. Maybe Allen fills that role. Really, really like him. Hilton fine as the speed guy. Priority is their OL. Every single pick on CBs and OTs if necessary

Smokey

BAL @ DEN | GB @ SF | SEA @ ATL | HOU @ NE

There is an overwhelming chance that the Texans will lose..but if there's one thing that's been shown in sports over the past few years..when literally EVERYBODY says that you have no chance..grown men tend to respond. It's debateable if Kubiak is a man, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. The Patriots do not have a better front 4 or overall defense than the Bengals. Schaub was not sacked once yesterday. If they get the same type of effort and by some miracle can score in the redzone they have a shot.

24-23 Texans EAD America

Top Bottom