• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Divisional 2012 |OT| Schaubenfraud

eznark

Banned
I love how on NFLN Sterling Sharpe says "My Greenbay Packers" every time he mentions anything about them!

<3

How old are you? Sterling Sharpe left a bitter cunt and I hope he gets hit by a bus. He hated the Packers when he was on ESPN. I think the producers at NFLN must have told him to tone it down.

Interesting article on ESPN about blitzing Brady:

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/59890/texans-dont-have-to-blitz-to-beat-brady

Stop the running NE running game and sit back in coverage seems to be best option.

Yeah, I saw the Brady "quick release time" stat about the earlier Texans - Pats game. I am hoping he can find the open guy to do that again.

That Ravens playoff loss was not really attributable to the scheme. They found themselves in a hole early on (Rice absolutely killed the crappy 2009 Patriots defense). The Ravens then knew we were going to be one dimensional and pass all game long. Additionally, with Welker on IR with a torn ACL, we really had no quality WRs, as they could safely blanket Moss.

The Jets game is a much better example. They routinely had lots of men in coverage, playing tight man-to-man. They flooded the short-middle part of the field, and took away the bread and butter of the Pats' offense. They dared the Pats to run, pretty much never running their base package. The Law Firm was actually doing really well, but for some unknown reason, they benched him for Woodhead. Despite all of that, the Pats were very much in the game. If not for a few key mistakes, I.E. fumbled fake punt, Crumpler drop of an easy TD, they probably would have won the game.

verbum

How old are you? Sterling Sharpe left a bitter cunt and I hope he gets hit by a bus. He hated the Packers when he was on ESPN. I think the producers at NFLN must have told him to tone it down.

The sad thing about that neck injury was the career Sterling might have gone on to achieve. Then Shannon Sharpe went and got 3 SB rings. Shannon's speech at the Hall of Fame was heartbreaking:

I'm the only player, of 267 men that [have] walked through this building to my left, that can honestly say this: I'm the only pro football player that's in the Hall of Fame, and I'm the second best player in my own family.

I remember blinking back the tears when I heard that. I had read about him in the local paper playing in high school and was pissed that he went to South Carolina.

verbum

Yeah, I saw the Brady "quick release time" stat about the earlier Texans - Pats game. I am hoping he can find the open guy to do that again.

That Ravens playoff loss was not really attributable to the scheme. They found themselves in a hole early on (Rice absolutely killed the crappy 2009 Patriots defense). The Ravens then knew we were going to be one dimensional and pass all game long. Additionally, with Welker on IR with a torn ACL, we really had no quality WRs, as they could safely blanket Moss.

The Jets game is a much better example. They routinely had lots of men in coverage, playing tight man-to-man. They flooded the short-middle part of the field, and took away the bread and butter of the Pats' offense. They dared the Pats to run, pretty much never running their base package. The Law Firm was actually doing really well, but for some unknown reason, they benched him for Woodhead. Despite all of that, the Pats were very much in the game. If not for a few key mistakes, I.E. fumbled fake punt, Crumpler drop of an easy TD, they probably would have won the game.

So if you were the DC for the Texans, what would you do? I need to know so I can pass it on to Mike Nolan just in case.

Milchjon

German media gives zero shits about the NFL apart from the Super Bowl, but even over here they've started to report on CTE, Junior Seau and the NFL's handling of the issue.

So if you were the DC for the Texans, what would you do? I need to know so I can pass it on to Mike Nolan just in case.

That is a tough one. As I said, the Jets were able to field lots of DBs, almost never playing their base. They were able to get a good rush from their D-line without blitzing. Though most of their sacks on Brady were coverage sacks, Brady definitely got spooked early on and felt the pressure. From what I saw from the last game, the Texans seemed to play their base package a little too much, given the success of the Patriots run game. Now, with Gronkowski back, I expect Ridley et al. to be even more potent in their rushes. It is a "pick your poison" type of scenario. If I were the DC, despite the improved run game, I still would be most worried about Mr. Tom F. Brady. Limit your base package snaps, and hope your line can stuff the run.

In defending the passing game, the big question in my mind is how effective Gronkowski can be catching the football. He saw some limited action in the Miami game, but was too small of a sample size to go off of. I think he will still be relatively limited, and mostly used for blocking and some decoy passing routes. He will get some catches, definitely, but he won't be Super 2011 Receiving Gronk. For specific schemes: first, take away the most effective NE receiver. Put Johnathan Joseph on Welker. That may seem like a waste, but if Welker runs free the Texans will pay. He must be respected. Try to jam Aaron Hernandez at the line and play him in tight coverage. He has been pretty bad since returning from injury, with tons of drops, and I feel like tight coverage will rattle him a bit and continue his alligator arms and dropped passes. If these options are taken away, expect to see some screens and passes to Woodhead/Vereen out of the backfield. There isn't too much I can say schematic-wise about that, just that the players need to be prepared for this. That leaves Brandon Llloyd. Lloyd could be the difference maker in this game. He is the answer to the flooding of the middle of the field, a la Jets 2010. A few back shoulder throws from Brady to Lloyd will effectively will the DBs to stop bunching the short-middle. Luckily for the Texans, Brady and Lloyd still don't quite have a mind meld of chemistry. Many Brady passes just aren't on the mark, be it Lloyd not running the correct route or Brady over/under throwing. Due to this, you can have your safeties cheat up a bit until Brady/Lloyd show them that they can't.

That is my defensive gameplan as the Texans' DC. If Gronk or Hernandez are 100%, and play to their 2011 forms, it will severely limit the above plan.

dvdjamm

Bradygmail2.jpg

MechDX

Prolly works at Whole Foods and has found a way to shield himself from the terror of defeat.

Dont you have a Nazis for Belichek rally to hold?

Texans have no pressure, they are supposed to lose. Pats on the otherhand...if they lose it will be glorious!

verbum

That is a tough one. As I said, the Jets were able to field lots of DBs, almost never playing their base. They were able to get a good rush from their D-line without blitzing. Though most of their sacks on Brady were coverage sacks, Brady definitely got spooked early on and felt the pressure. From what I saw from the last game, the Texans seemed to play their base package a little too much, given the success of the Patriots run game. Now, with Gronkowski back, I expect Ridley et al. to be even more potent in their rushes. It is a "pick your poison" type of scenario. If I were the DC, despite the improved run game, I still would be most worried about Mr. Tom F. Brady. Limit your base package snaps, and hope your line can stuff the run.

In defending the passing game, the big question in my mind is how effective Gronkowski can be catching the football. He saw some limited action in the Miami game, but was too small of a sample size to go off of. I think he will still be relatively limited, and mostly used for blocking and some decoy passing routes. He will get some catches, definitely, but he won't be Super 2011 Receiving Gronk. For specific schemes: first, take away the most effective NE receiver. Put Johnathan Joseph on Welker. That may seem like a waste, but if Welker runs free the Texans will pay. He must be respected. Try to jam Aaron Hernandez at the line and play him in tight coverage. He has been pretty bad since returning from injury, with tons of drops, and I feel like tight coverage will rattle him a bit and continue his alligator arms and dropped passes. If these options are taken away, expect to see some screens and passes to Woodhead/Vereen out of the backfield. There isn't too much I can say schematic-wise about that, just that the players need to be prepared for this. That leaves Brandon Llloyd. Lloyd could be the difference maker in this game. He is the answer to the flooding of the middle of the field, a la Jets 2010. A few back shoulder throws from Brady to Lloyd will effectively will the DBs to stop bunching the short-middle. Luckily for the Texans, Brady and Lloyd still don't quite have a mind meld of chemistry. Many Brady passes just aren't on the mark, be it Lloyd not running the correct route or Brady over/under throwing. Due to this, you can have your safeties cheat up a bit until Brady/Lloyd show them that they can't.

That is my defensive gameplan as the Texans' DC. If Gronk or Hernandez are 100%, and play to their 2011 forms, it will severely limit the above plan.

Thanks, appreciate the work. I have to see if Houston will do this.

Meanwhile the Falcons have to contend with this:
ray-lewis-marshawn-lynch.gif

I might have to drink two beers before the game starts.

Dont you have a Nazis for Belichek rally to hold?

Texans have no pressure, they are supposed to lose. Pats on the otherhand...if they lose it will be glorious!

Lol, now you show up with your loud mouth again now that you finally see that you have a chance tomorrow?

MechDX

Cocky Mech is back!

Lol, now you show up with your loud mouth again now that you finally see that you have a chance tomorrow?

Will the Texans win? probably not
Will Schaub be the reason if they lose? Probably
No one is picking them, save Schefter, to even show up.
The NFL themselves dont want them to win, fapping to brady vs Manning 13!
Many of their fans have turned on them, myself included.

With that said: I HOPE THEY BEAT THE EVER LOVING FUCKING SHIT OUT OF THE PATS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0oTyAMSLBs&feature=share

No pressure, they are supposed to lose. But if they somehow figure it out...

I loove how you two see what you want to see. Must be a diagnosis of Lifelong Patsfan Syndrome. We have no real chance tomorrow other than a weird motivational, underdog win. Where am I getting cocky?

See I realized its about being a true fan. Been a fan of the Oilers/Texans pretty much all my life. I know misery that most fans have never seen or experienced. You two, like gator, jumped on the Pats when they won that first superbowl and have enjoyed a positive ride your whole time.I have more respect for kave than either of you three.

So once again: we have no real chance tomorrow but if somehow they find a way....it will be glorious.

Godslay

Banned
All I can hope for is Denver going out and putting together a mistake free, complete game.

As far as Peyton choking, or his record in the playoffs, I'm sure no one is more aware of that then him. I'll trust that he's focused and prepared, and ready to take care of business. He knows that his time is limited and may never see the playoffs again.

I've reached a point where I'm not worrying about all the what ifs. Just go out and take care of business.

Milchjon

I loove how you two see what you want to see.

You went from weeks of "We are fucked, I ain't gonna watch this game" to "Fuck all y'all, Texans fo life". How are we seeing things?

See I realized its about being a true fan. Been a fan of the Oilers/Texans pretty much all my life.

What we were saying all along.

You two, like gator, jumped on the Pats when they won that first superbowl and have enjoyed a positive ride your whole time.I have more respect for kave than either of you three.

Not true. And no, I am not trying to take away your Texans fan misery.

Also, you turned a good natured ribbing (How can we not make a little fun of a fan who actively avoids watching a playoff game in which they have a real chance of winning) into Nazi joke territory. Relax, bro.

Godslay

Banned
See I realized its about being a true fan. Been a fan of the Oilers/Texans pretty much all my life. I know misery that most fans have never seen or experienced. You two, like gator, jumped on the Pats when they won that first superbowl and have enjoyed a positive ride your whole time.I have more respect for kave than either of you three.

Losing seasons? That's not misery. Ask a Bills fan or a Broncos fan prior to the SB runs. Misery is coming so close you can taste the ultimate victory, and having it snatched out from underneath you.

Sustained losing or mediocrity is more numbing than it is misery.

MechDX

You went from weeks of "We are fucked, I ain't gonna watch this game" to "Fuck all y'all, Texans fo life". How are we seeing things?

What we were saying all along.

Not true. And no, I am not trying to take away your Texans fan misery.

Also, you turned a good natured ribbing (How can we not make a little fun of a fan who actively avoids watching a playoff game in which they have a real chance of winning) into Nazi joke territory. Relax, bro.

Where did I say ANYTHING like "Texans fo life"? Please show me this. Not many fans in the NFL can understand the misery of being a Houston pro football fan. Closest are Browns fans who have never really experienced success just like the Oilers/Texans. So shut up with that noise. You havent experienced it so you have no damn right to question me.

You jumped on a rising star and enjoyed the positive rewards you dont know what sports fan misery is like and you probably never will since you will just jump ship again.

Losing seasons? That's not misery. Ask a Bills fan or a Broncos fan prior to the SB runs. Misery is coming so close you can taste the ultimate victory, and having it snatched out from underneath you.

Sustained losing or mediocrity is more numbing than it is misery.

Thats just it: Bills and Broncos fans have had those Superbowl runs. Everytime the Oilers were "THE team" they choked it away. Yeah the Bills lost 4 superbowls at least they lived up to the hype enough to get there. Ive listed them before: Bums "Kick the door down" years, 93 playoff collapse, Denver Stagger Lee play, Joe Montana domination, the Carr years, Kubiak years of being the "darling"....thats why I said the only teams fans that can get it would be Browns fans. Its not a woe is me post it is just the truth.

I loove how you two see what you want to see. Must be a diagnosis of Lifelong Patsfan Syndrome. We have no real chance tomorrow other than a weird motivational, underdog win. Where am I getting cocky?

So once again: we have no real chance tomorrow but if somehow they find a way....it will be glorious.

Seeing what we wanna see? We ain't blind bro, you were in complete 'jump off the ship' mode before the Bengals game, gave up completely and now all of a sudden you're Loudmouth McGhee. Setting yourself up for 2 outcomes, if the Texans lose you can bitch all you want screaming 'I TOLD YOU WE SUCKED' and if they win you will probably be the loudest to yell how much we chocked and sucked it up.

And then you come with the same old same old 'bandwagon-bad fans' bullshit. I don't need your respect, dickwad.

MechDX

Seeing what we wanna see? We ain't blind bro, you were in complete 'jump off the ship' mode before the Bengals game, gave up completely and now all of a sudden you're Loudmouth McGhee. Setting yourself up for 2 outcomes, if the Texans lose you can bitch all you want screaming 'I TOLD YOU WE SUCKED' and if they win you will probably be the loudest to yell how much we chocked and sucked it up.

And then you come with the same old same old 'bandwagon-bad fans' bullshit. I don't need your respect, dickwad.

Truth stings eh?

Milchjon

Where did I say ANYTHING like "Texans fo life"? Please show me this. Not many fans in the NFL can understand the misery of being a Houston pro football fan. Closest are Browns fans who have never really experienced success just like the Oilers/Texans. So shut up with that noise. You havent experienced it so you have no damn right to question me.

You jumped on a rising star and enjoyed the positive rewards you dont know what sports fan misery is like and you probably never will since you will just jump ship again.

Now you're just being an ass.

I was talking about the general sentiment of your last few posts, which I thought was rather obvious.

And when it comes to my personal fandom:

I can't change the fact that I was born in a soccer-loving country (Woe is me) and never came in contact with the NFL before my 20s.

And why should I choose some team I have zero connection to, like the Browns, when the only part of the US I've ever known and loved is New England? A love which goes back to my early teens? For that matter, why should Dutch, looking at his family's history?

But yeah, go ahead the seriousness of my Pats fandom. I'm over here, staying up til 5:30 am on weekdays, sometimes even the night before an important test (still passed, thanks for asking) to watch games, while you go into hiding during a playoff game because you talked yourself into not believing in your team.

BTW, why are we even fighting? I wasn't attacking you, I just pointed out that you turned from depressive to manic in the past day or two. Let's cut this out and enjoy 3 great matchups.

MechDX

Now you're just being an ass.

I was talking about the general sentiment of your last few posts, which I thought was rather obvious.

And when it comes to my personal fandom:

I can't change the fact that I was born in a soccer-loving country (Woe is me) and never came in contact with the NFL before my 20s.

And why should I choose some team I have zero connection to, like the Browns, when the only part of the US I've ever known and loved is New England? A love which goes back to my early teens? For that matter, why should Dutch, looking at his family's history?

But yeah, go ahead the seriousness of my Pats fandom. I'm over here, staying up til 5:30 am on weekdays, sometimes even the night before an important test (still passed, thanks for asking) to watch games, while you go into hiding during a playoff game because you talked yourself into not believing in your team.

BTW, why are we even fighting? I wasn't attacking you, I just pointed out that you turned from depressive to manic in the past day or two. Let's cut this out and enjoy 3 great matchups.

All right, done. Over.

I agree we have 3 great games tomorrow since we know the Ravens will just roll over the Broncos.

Truth stings eh?

Sherman.gif

Sure. You know why I'm a Patriots fan to begin with, and it's not my fault I was only old enough to enjoy football when they got successful.

But go right ahead and call me a bandwagoner/shitty fan/pink hatter all you want. Great to hear from a guy who rather works than watch his team play their playoff game because he's convinced they will lose.

MechDX

Gotta head out to work. Iwork early tomorrow so I get to watch Schaub make me or break me. Predictions for today:

Ravens over Broncos.

Niners over Packers biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch!!

Texans vs Ravens in AFCCG, Niners vs Texans Superbowl.

Not the playoffs NFL GAF wants but what they deserve!

Sure. You know why I'm a Patriots fan to begin with, and it's not my fault I was only old enough to enjoy football when they got successful.

But go right ahead and call me a bandwagoner/shitty fan/pink hatter all you want. Great to hear from a guy who rather works than watch his team play their second playoff game because he's convinced they will lose.

I'll share my many years of Pats disappointment with you. There's plenty to go around. My first memory of them was getting their asses kicked by the Bears in the SB. Pete Carroll...ugh. Bledsoe throwing the timely picks to Steelers receivers in playoff games to end nearly every season...fuck me. Enjoy these many years of success and all the salt that comes along with it from fans of lesser teams, because when that shit is gone that shit is goooooone.

Godslay

Banned
Thats just it: Bills and Broncos fans have had those Superbowl runs. Everytime the Oilers were "THE team" they choked it away. Yeah the Bills lost 4 superbowls at least they lived up to the hype enough to get there. Ive listed them before: Bums "Kick the door down" years, 93 playoff collapse, Denver Stagger Lee play, Joe Montana domination, the Carr years, Kubiak years of being the "darling"....thats why I said the only teams fans that can get it would be Browns fans. Its not a woe is me post it is just the truth.

Before they won it all the first time, it was pretty rough being a Denver fan. Elway was considered to be the ultimate choker. That's why in some ways I laugh at Manning being called a choker.

We had good teams, but no one respected Elway's ability to get it done in the Superbowl. Losing in the regular season, and choking a season away sucks, but to do it when you are on the largest stage and the lights are at their brightest is considerably worse in my opinion. You are riding high going into the SB, only to be shit on in front of the entire world. To have this happen 3 times in a row doesn't inspire a lot of faith in that team or player.

That's why the first one felt so good. Going into that game the Pack were favorites, and everyone 'knew' or expected things to fall apart. When Green Bay scored that first TD easily, everyone pretty much thought, 'Oh shit, here we go again.' Things worked out though, and the team figured themselves out.

The losing seasons are bad, but they tend to fade from memory. Losing a SB is always imprinted on your memory. Failing at the highest level is more miserable to me than just losing seasons though. Although I can say that misery has passed for the most part once we won it. I can understand where you are coming from, and they are just different forms of misery.

Sherman.gif

But go right ahead and call me a bandwagoner/shitty fan/pink hatter all you want. Great to hear from a guy who rather works than watch his team play their playoff game because he's convinced they will lose.

Were you old enough to see the 96 SB?

squicken

Please tell me you didn't drop them before they left, cause that depresses me if you did. Feels like Bud won somehow if that's the case.... even with all their chocking.

That's gross Mig. The things "you" find on the net.

once he announce they were moving i was out. so i got to live through the commander cody year(s)

Top Bottom