• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2016 |OT| Where One Gasmask Can Change a Career

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Furrey sighting!

Lions pick ... Graham Glasgow - C, Michigan

Hmmmmmm. Back-up for Swanson?

Glasgow also started at guard for Michigan so we'll see. He seems to be a better center than Swason and I'm looking forward to that camp battle. Can't help but think Swanson wins and Glasgow backs him up for a year before taking over. Then Swanson moves to guard depth I guess.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yep. I was thinking 6th round late 5th at the earliest. Good for Vincent though. Looks like he made a good choice leaving early.

Yeah, he must've known something the media, especially the local husker media, didn't. They were all ragging on him for taking off, that he'd be lucky to be drafted.

That said, I'm still curious to see where Alex Lewis lands then. I wonder if his shitty attitude drops him far.

If nothing else, playing with the Texans on Madden is going to be fun this year.

It's weird to see them going all offense so far, and 2 WR's to compliment Hopkins and Strong.

Doorman

So wait, this means...Connor Cook doesn't actually exist? The fuck does that tweet even mean?

Cook sliding I can understand, but to be left out on day two in favor of some of the other QB names being brought up I have to imagine that a number of teams have him off of their boards entirely. Captain or not there's still something not adding up. The only thing I can potentially think of is that maybe the injury he suffered near the end of the season is secretly lingering and teams are afraid he's some sort of health risk? He's one of the best quarterbacks in the history of a school that just took part in the second ever college football playoff, playing in one of the most pro-style systems that would make it an easy adjustment to the NFL, and that all really means this little?

Duxxy3

I'm fine with the Cyrus Jones and Joe Thuley picks.

I don't understand why we took a QB in the third round. We had strong need at RB and some need at WR. No imminent need at QB.

I don't dare question Bill on the Valentine pick. I quickly looked him up and it said 5th to 7th round. But Bill evaluates interior line better than just about everybody.

Cagey

Banned
Kessler and Hack suck too though. My guess is Cook came off terribly in interviews.
True, but it only takes one dumb team to fall in love with a bad player.

Jets and Browns have storied histories of stupidity.

Plus Cook doesn't even have NFL tools to offset his suck.

BTM

Yeah, he must've known something the media, especially the local husker media, didn't. They were all ragging on him for taking off, that he'd be lucky to be drafted.

That said, I'm still curious to see where Alex Lewis lands then. I wonder if his shitty attitude drops him far.

I'm thinking 4th round most likely. Possibly slipping into 5th.

Godslay

Banned
Missed most of the draft after my Raptors choked a game 6. How did the Broncos do?
I am reading they got some steal at safety?

I mean we still got Doss and Nixon. Our secondary is so deep I can't even complain. Absolutely rich in talent at that position.

I'm okay with it.

Gotsis seems like a Wolfe/Malik continuation. With Kollar/Wade he should develop nicely.

Don't know much about Simmons, but it's nice to add depth to that DB group. We churned through safeties last year so it's good in that aspect. Need to look into him a bit more.

Money rounds are tomorrow though. We've hit on some great picks in these rounds so I'm looking forward to it.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Mike Furrey sighting!

Lions pick ... Graham Glasgow - C, Michigan

Hmmmmmm. Back-up for Swanson?

I was legit shook when I found out that was Mike Furrey. He's packed on 10-20 pounds of muscle it looks like. I really liked him when he was a Lion and loved the Megatron shout out he gave in front of Chicago.

Glasgow could be competition for Swanson and also provides depth at Guard if either Warford or Tomlinson go down.

This is the second time in three years that the Lions have used a third-round pick on a center, joining Swanson from 2014. The former Arkansas star was supposed to learn behind longtime starter Dominic Raiola for a year, then move into the starting lineup, but Swanson struggled mightily with that role in 2015.

He was ranked 33rd at the position, according to ProFootballFocus.

And with the selection of Glasgow, it's clear that Swanson will face competition for the job that once looked like his.

"Like we talked about ... it's about competition," general manager Bob Quinn said last month, when asked whether he was committed to Swanson as his center. "So if we find a center -- we add a center to the roster that is better than Travis -- then that center's going to play. If Travis is the best center, he's going to play."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ss...ichigans_graha.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Bob Quinn essentially put both Riley Reiff and Travis Swanson on notice almost as soon as he was hired.

The offensive line play has to improve period. No more 28th ranked rushing game or worst in the league like last season. No more of Stafford getting sacked or hit on almost every single play.

Although I think a lot of the failures of the offensive line the last two years can be attributed to Joe Lombardi's offense. Offensive line play improved almost immediately after Jim Bob Cooter took over the reigns at Offensive Coordinator.

Competition usually brings the best out of football players so I like the pick.

Also interesting to note that this third round pick was the compensatory pick that the Lions got for Suh bolting to Miami.

I like what I saw of Simmons. He seems to have a knack for getting to the ball and he was a team captain. He'll probably play hard on ST and hopefully make some big plays

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Teresa Varley ‏@Teresa_Varley 14m14 minutes ago

Javon Hargrave has always been a #Steelers fan and was in tears when the team drafted him. #SteelersDraft

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So wait, this means...Connor Cook doesn't actually exist? The fuck does that tweet even mean?

Cook sliding I can understand, but to be left out on day two in favor of some of the other QB names being brought up I have to imagine that a number of teams have him off of their boards entirely. Captain or not there's still something not adding up. The only thing I can potentially think of is that maybe the injury he suffered near the end of the season is secretly lingering and teams are afraid he's some sort of health risk? He's one of the best quarterbacks in the history of a school that just took part in the second ever college football playoff, playing in one of the most pro-style systems that would make it an easy adjustment to the NFL, and that all really means this little?

We have 7 picks tomorrow:

Detroit is now done for the night. It will be back on the clock with the 13th pick in the fourth round (111th overall), which begins at noon Saturday.

The Lions have seven picks left overall, including one in the fourth round; two in the fifth; three in the sixth; and one more in the seventh.

I honestly hope we take Connor Cook with one of those picks. Hell, why not use our 4th rounder on him?

Rounds 4-7 is all about finding diamonds in the rough so why not use one of those picks on Cook? We're drafting a QB anyway.

I just wonder what the issue is for him dropping this far. "Character" concerns or injury?

Either way, we've got the roster depth and leadership in the locker room to let him sit and develop for a few years.

rando14

Mike Silver making it sound like Kessler is the Messiah.......

Already ordered all 3 colors of RGCleve jerseys

CSMJO04.jpg

Mayock
71. New York Giants: Darian Thompson, S, Boise State
When the ball is in the air, he wants it. He struggles a bit in the tackle game. A safety has to tackle. He's your last line of defense. So, I love the ball skills, but want to see him tackle.

40. New York Giants: Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma
He's only 5-foot-10, 194 pounds, but he is a competitor, especially in the slot. He also brings value in the returns game. He is one of the most feisty competitors in the entire draft.

A safety who can't tackle perfect Reese pick..

Lions pick Center, Graham Glasgow, University of Michigan

Got a Buckeye and Wolverine to help fortify the line. I like the pick. Travis Swanson was essentially a rookie last year and played badly. He had to switch play books mid season and had a shoulder injury mid season that he played through (which required surgery).

I like the pick because just in case either Laken Tomlinson or Travis Swanson go down Graham provides that extra depth at either Center of Guard.

I was almost hoping we would go Connor Cook with this pick but he could be there and we have 6 draft picks from Rounds 4-7.

Connor Cook is IMO the best QB available and Bob Quinn has already said he's brining the Patriots philosophy of drafting a QB every year or so to Detroit.

We haven't drafted a QB since we took Stafford #1 in the 2009 draft
so he essentially said we're taking a QB in this draft. Why not take a risk on a guy like Cook, let him develop/mature 3-4 years and see what you have.

He's probably already better than our current backup, Dan Orlowsky.

Ummm Kellen Moore

Doorman

We have 7 picks tomorrow:

I honestly hope we take Connor Cook with one of those picks. Hell, why not use our 4th rounder on him?

Rounds 4-7 is all about finding diamonds in the rough so why not use one of those picks on Cook? We're drafting a QB anyway.

I just wonder what the issue is for him dropping this far. "Character" concerns or injury?

Either way, we've got the roster depth and leadership in the locker room to let him sit and develop for a few years.

I don't think I'd take Cook in the 4th round, simply because I think we have other, greater positional needs for that sort of resource, but I am totally on board with taking a QB in the 5th or later to develop, and if Connor Cook somehow survives the fourth round and is still there I would have nothing against taking him with one of the 5th-rounders. For what he's managed to accomplish in his collegiate career and the fact that these supposed character flaws are still incredibly non-concrete, his current position baffles me. Other people with far more glaring health and character concerns have already been taken much higher.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure Connor Cook would make a good pro quarterback anyway, but I can't believe that his chances are so much worse than any of the other QBs that have gone before him, and that includes Goff and Wentz. I hope there's some sort of story that comes out of all this to explain just what the hell is going on with this.

Ummm Kellen Moore
Nope! He was brought in as an undrafted free agent, so technically his statement stands correct.

Mayock
71. New York Giants: Darian Thompson, S, Boise State
When the ball is in the air, he wants it. He struggles a bit in the tackle game. A safety has to tackle. He's your last line of defense. So, I love the ball skills, but want to see him tackle.

40. New York Giants: Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma
He's only 5-foot-10, 194 pounds, but he is a competitor, especially in the slot. He also brings value in the returns game. He is one of the most feisty competitors in the entire draft.

A safety who can't tackle perfect Reese pick..
He could have picked Lawrence Taylor and you'd still bitch about it though, right? :)

We have a safety that can tackle called Landon Collins. You know, a pick that I hated last year cause we needed a coverage guy. The problem is Landon can't fucking cover. So what did we draft? A third round ball hawk with coverage skill. It's almost like they'll compliment one another in a team game called football or something.

beta_fuse

Can someone please let me know if I missed the reason why teams are passing on Andrew Billings? I'm very surprised to see him still available.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Ummm Kellen Moore

Totally forgot about Kellen Moore.

We didn't draft him though he was signed as an UDFA in 2012 after he wasn't drafted despite breaking records at Boise State.

QUARTERBACK

Cody Kessler, USC

Josh Woodrum, Liberty

Jake Rudock, Michigan

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2016/04/2016_pre-draft_visit_list.html

The three QBs Bob Quinn and staff scouted predraft. Jake Rudock has been heavily rumored as has Kevin Hogan out of Stanford.

Obviously Kessler is gone to the Browns.

Connor Cook's arm strength and success is what has me intrigued.

I know a lot of NFL fans and analysts downplay arm strength but it is one of the few QB traits that can't be coached up.

Can someone please let me know if I missed the reason why teams are passing on Andrew Billings? I'm very surprised to see him still available.

He's undersized and not that athletic and given he played at Baylor he probably raped or killed someone at some point in his life.

I know a lot of NFL fans and analysts downplay arm strength but it is one of the few QB traits that can't be coached up.

Which is the same dumb reason NBA teams draft 7 footers who can't play basketball. Coaches with big egos think they can undo a lifetime of bad habits or no habits. And those coaches end up unemployed.

Mortemis

Banned
Really growing on Prosise. This was his first year as a RB, and most of his weaknesses (blocking, knowing when not to hesitate) could come as he gets taught and gains experience. The fact that he used to be a WR and can catch is a pretty big plus to me.

Hope we can use him nicely. Not just as a 3rd down guy but good competition to Rawls too. Always compete.

rokkerkory

Really growing on Prosise. This was his first year as Arab, and most of his weaknesses (blocking, knowing when not to hesitate) could come as he gets taught and gains experience. The fact that he used to be a WR and can catch is a pretty big plus to me.

Hope we can use him nicely. Not just as a 3rd down guy but good competition to Rawls too. Always compete.

Ala david johnson :)

He could have picked Lawrence Taylor and you'd still bitch about it though, right? :)

We have a safety that can tackle called Landon Collins. You know, a pick that I hated last year cause we needed a coverage guy. The problem is Landon can't fucking cover. So what did we draft? A third round ball hawk with coverage skill. It's almost like they'll compliment one another in a team game called football or something.

Reese would have chosen someone else than LT, he doesn't know what a LB is..

I am really liking the Saints' draft so far. Rankins has a ton of upside and fills the position we need the most. Thomas is a great fit and exactly what we need at the position. And I love the Vonn Bell pick. I know some are thinking we gave up too much to trade up, but I disagree. He's a late-first/early-second round talent that we managed to snag at the end of the second and he'll help in the secondary and on third downs he can help cover. A guard would be nice to grab in the later rounds, but other than that I think we've done a lot of good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom