• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Aaron Wilson said:
Jim harbaugh 'I always felt in my heart that our quarterback would be alex smith alex smith is a 49er'.

What they forget to mention was what he said after that: 'Plus I didn't want to look for a new caddy, Alex has a real feel for the game, and he's also pretty average at football'

eznark

Banned
Did any of you guys use the PS3 NFL streaming app last year? I'm considering dumping DirecTV and just cutting to cord altogether but I remember hearing some negatives about it when it launched.

brentech

I wish the city bus ran later here, I want to see Childish Gambino (Donald Glover from Community) in July but I don't want to pay for a taxi or fucking walk all the way home.

My brother-in-law got tickets with his girlfriend to see him at our House of Blues. I'm jealous.

brentech

I remember asking early last season and people saying it often didn't work during the early games, then they'd finally have it worked out during the second halfs or second set of games.

Rumors of Jonathan Stewart to the Giants.

Good lord that would be hot sex.

I still don't get why we needed to pick up Tolbert (and why we needed to get rid of one of the Super Twins, especially the more productive one in recent years).

But yeah, JStew on the Giants would be pretty ridiculous. He's a consistent, powerful downhill runner with surprising speed for his size. He's also a decent blocker and a pretty good option catching balls out of the backfield. Plus he's a 25 year-old back without a great deal of mileage on those legs, because he's played in a platoon with at least one other back for his entire career. Him in New York would be a scary thought for the rest of the NFC East.

Coughlin at the owner's meeting had a few things to say about some players:

Coughlin says Osi will definitely be a Giant in 2012. "I'm not thinking of anything else" other than Umenyiora returning to the team.

Coughlin says bringing Brandon Jacobs back "is a possibility."

Of course, Tebow came up.

An NY writer asked Coughlin if he could imagine taking his QB off field 20 plays/gm? Coughlin: "Not our quarterback."

Still curious to see if Osi gets an extension out of Reese moving forward and if Jacobs doesn't get any other interest, he may have to swallow his pride and come back to NY for even less money than what he was negotiating originally.

Rams possibly looking to move up to the #4 slot in the draft and they fielded trade offers for Bradford...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-browns-a-potential-draft-day-trade-partner/

“Yeah, I would think so,” Fisher said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. “I don’t know if we’d consider going that high. Those conversations aren’t going to take place until draft day because your guy’s got to be there. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of compensation they want. We’re very happy with the compensation we’ve got right now over the next couple of years.”

If the Rams did move back up to the fourth pick, it would likely be a bid to get Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon. Assuming they like him, the Browns could then take Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill with the sixth pick while picking up something extra for their trouble. That whole scenario could get complicated if the Dolphins were to move up for their own shot at Tannehill, but we’ll try to keep the wild speculation about something that will happen a month from now at a minimum.

Fisher said there’s a good chance the Rams will move up or move down from the sixth spot come draft day. He also said that the team fielded trade offers for Sam Bradford. It’s not known if the Browns were one of the bidders, although Pat Shurmur’s history with Bradford suggests that they might have thrown the idea in the Rams’ direction at some point.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I still don't get why we needed to pick up Tolbert (and why we needed to get rid of one of the Super Twins, especially the more productive one in recent years).

But yeah, JStew on the Giants would be pretty ridiculous. He's a consistent, powerful downhill runner with surprising speed for his size. He's also a decent blocker and a pretty good option catching balls out of the backfield. Plus he's a 25 year-old back without a great deal of mileage on those legs, because he's played in a platoon with at least one other back for his entire career. Him in New York would be a scary thought for the rest of the NFC East.

Just like Carolina. Signs of life? Meh. We can do it with any scrub! Ditch the talent!

Cardiac Cats, indeed.

darkside31337 said:
Haha this is so ridiculous. I thought nobody in the league wanted to trade for Bradford?
Doubtful it happens. Fisher is pretty adamant on having a "franchise" player in place at the position and while the Rams may have fielded offers, I'm willing to bet very little true consideration was given to them unless some team comes to the table with a truly exceptional (i.e. Redskins for RGIII level) trade. The Browns have the picks to do that mind you but it's a long shot. Stranger things have happened though...

darkside31337 said:
And if they really wanted Tannehill they might have been better off keeping the #2 pick.
Why take Tannehill over RG3 if that's the case? Tannehill is a reach at #2 especially with RGIII on the board. Hell, some would argue he's a reach at #4 but considering how QB starved some teams are, the fact that some view Tannehill as a top 10 tallent and the run we saw on fairly average prospects last season (Tannehill is more talented than Ponder who went at #12, IMHO), some team will reach for him. Better to move down if you're going to do that and take the big old chest of gold the Redskins handed them.

Rams possibly looking to move up to the #4 slot in the draft and they fielded trade offers for Bradford...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-browns-a-potential-draft-day-trade-partner/

black-guys-laughing.gif

eznark

Banned
Doubtful it happens. Fisher is pretty adamant on having a "franchise" player in place at the position and while the Rams may have fielded offers, I'm willing to bet very little true consideration was given to them unless some team comes to the table with a truly exceptional (i.e. Redskins for RGIII level) trade.

No better time to move on and start the rebuild than year 1. Getting rid of Bradford now, if they have a guy they really like, makes a lot of sense. You have to figure he has three years to show progress. Why waste a year with a failed quarterback?

Remember, he was stuck in Tennessee for the last few years with a "franchise" quarterback that he knew sucked and wanted nothing to do with. I doubt he really relishes the same situation.

eznark said:
Why waste a year with a failed quarterback?
Depends on the view they have of Bradford. More specifically, the view Fisher has of his QB. Is he a failed quarterback or a guy who has absolutely nothing around him? No offensive line to protect so he was often sacked and injured (one of the highest if not the most sacked in the league?). No wide receivers and offensive coordinator changes that stunted his development, etc. So it is the QB or the organization around him that failed?

I personally think Bradford is unfairly maligned in a lot of ways and if he had an organization actually willing to build a team around him....

eznark said:
Remember, he was stuck in Tennessee for the last few years with a "franchise" quarterback that he knew sucked and wanted nothing to do with. I doubt he really relishes the same situation.
I agree, though Young was a head case that Fisher never wanted as mentioned. Bradford has been mentioned as one of the reasons Fisher took the job in St. Louis.

bionic77

That Kid Icarus game sounds fun.

I don't want to spend that kind of money on a 3DS though, not until it gets more games. Be interesting to see if the 3DS can follow in the DS' footsteps (best system last gen).

eznark

Banned
Depends on the view they have of Bradford. Is he a failed quarterback or a guy who has absolutely nothing around him? No offensive line to protect so he was often sacked and injured. No wide receivers and offensive coordinator changes that stunted his development, etc. So it is the QB or the organization around him that failed?

Clearly. And if Fisher felt it was the org. that failed him then I'm sure he wouldn't trade him. If Fisher was convinced the kid could be fixed, I doubt they'd accept trade offers. Of course, were I am GM I would field trade offers for every player always.

Bradford has been mentioned as one of the reasons Fisher took the job in St. Louis.

I never heard that.

Slo

I'm about to buy a plane ticket to China and go juggernaut on my idiot co-workers over there. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

eznark said:
I never heard that.
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2012/02/25/fisher-bradford-not-going-anywhere/

There had been some speculation that the Rams would consider trading quarterback Sam Bradford after his disappointing sophomore season in 2011. But Fisher, who chose St. Louis over Miami largely because of Bradford’s presence on the Rams’ roster, put a rest to those rumors here at the combine.

“That wouldn’t be an option,” he said.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Fisher-chooses-Rams-over-Dolphins.html

Fisher had been courted by both the Rams and the Miami Dolphins, but in the end apparently spurned more money from the Dolphins because of the situation with the Rams. A source indicated to NFP that the Dolphins would have been willing to give Fisher up to $8 million to be their coach.

Even though the Rams finished 2-14 this season, there are some aspects to their organizational structure that likely swayed Fisher in their direction. First, St. Louis has a potential franchise quarterback in place in Sam Bradford, the first overall pick in 2010.

There's a few other places it's mentioned along with statements from Fisher reinforcing the notion (along with more organizational control of course) and his strong comments that he has no intention of trading Bradford. Whether that view has seriously changed or not apparently remains to be seen.

tmdorsey

That Kid Icarus game sounds fun.

I don't want to spend that kind of money on a 3DS though, not until it gets more games. Be interesting to see if the 3DS can follow in the DS' footsteps (best system last gen).

For me, Super Mario 3D Land and all the old Advance Wars games I didn't get to play on the DS makes it worth it. The RE revelations demo wasn't too bad either.

These teams nowadays have no patience and think all these QBs can just come straight from college and start playing right away. I think Bradford could be decent given some time to develop.

eznark

Banned
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2012/02/25/fisher-bradford-not-going-anywhere/

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Fisher-chooses-Rams-over-Dolphins.html

There's a few other places it's mentioned along with statements from Fisher reinforcing the notion (along with more organizational control of course) and his strong comments that he has no intention of trading Bradford. Whether that view has seriously changed or not apparently remains to be seen.

huh, weird. Maybe people in the organization have shown him the light. Or maybe Bradford isn't hot garbage and just needs All Pro wide receivers, running backs, tight ends and offensive linemen to really show just how great he is. :jnc

jakncoke

Banned
Bradford probably isn't *that* bad but certainly not the type of QB to lead a team anywhere. I see him more as a journeyman stop gap starter than anything.

eznark

Banned
:jnc

In all seriousness, do you feel Bradford is really that bad?

I do. I don't know if he would have been that bad in different circumstances, however his current situation has broken him. It's tough to turn a guys confidence around. I was never high on him to begin with, though. He struggles to make reads and when given time, he panics and struggles to find open receivers.

A good quarterback can make the players around him better. An average quarterback needs good players around him to succeed. Bradford has the pysical tools to be successful, but that is such a minor part of being successful at the position that I don't see him ever being able to take advantage of them.

yacobod

Banned
Not this shit again. Life Support Lovie says the Bears are happy with their current offensive line. Story here.

Lovie Smith said:
“I don’t want to picture it as we’re looking for a left tackle,” Smith said in a breakfast with the media at the NFL meetings. “We feel comfortable with the two guys (J’Marcus Webb and Gabe Carimi) we started with last year. We like the group of offensive lineman we have right now. We feel we can be successful with them. That being said, if someone can improve us, we’ll look at them."

Any tackle in the league can look bad at times,” Smith said. “There are some things we can do to help him out at times, which we plan to do. We feel we have a good plan at the left tackle position. If we end up playing J’Marcus Webb at the left tackle position, we feel comfortable with that

smh at the bold. if that human piece of shit named Jamarcus Webb is still starting at LT next year, might as well give up on the season before it starts.

effzee

Per a tweet from a Philly reporter, Reid admitted he "goofed" by not addressing the MLB properly last year especially since they switched to a wide-9 scheme.

SWEET.

The whole world saw it coming but the Head Coach didn't realize it. Every year there are 1-2 positions he "goofs" up. LOL 14 YEARS!

eznark said:
I do. I don't know if he would have been that bad in different circumstances, however his current situation has broken him. It's tough to turn a guys confidence around. I was never high on him to begin with, though. He struggles to make reads and when given time, he panics and struggles to find open receivers.

A good quarterback can make the players around him better. An average quarterback needs good players around him to succeed. Bradford has the pysical tools to be successful, but that is such a minor part of being successful at the position that I don't see him ever being able to take advantage of them.
Fair enough.

I agree with you on him being broken due to the situation around him and he's on the same career track as David Carr to me at the moment (shellshocked and even worse without a stable offense). I'd like see him in a more optimal situation to see if there is something to salvage there though. I think Fisher could do that for him.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Can't it be both?
Never said they were mutually exclusive.

Depends on the view they have of Bradford. More specifically, the view Fisher has of his QB. Is he a failed quarterback or a guy who has absolutely nothing around him? No offensive line to protect so he was often sacked and injured (one of the highest if not the most sacked in the league?). No wide receivers and offensive coordinator changes that stunted his development, etc. So it is the QB or the organization around him that failed?
Can't it be both?

eznark

Banned
Fair enough.

I agree with you on him being broken due to the situation around him and he's on the same career track as David Carr to me at the moment (shellshocked and even worse without a stable offense). I'd like see him in a more optimal situation to see if there is something to salvage there though. I think Fisher could do that for him.

See, I don't. I think there is just far too many needs that team has to address to waste time trying to bring him along. Now, if Fisher is given a long leash? Maybe.

Not this shit again. Life Support Lovie says the Bears are happy with their current offensive line. Story here.

smh at the bold. if that human piece of shit named Jamarcus Webb is still starting at LT next year, might as well give up on the season before it starts.

If you don't have an offensive mastermind Mike Martz anymore I think suddenly your O Line will look much better

Top Bottom