• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

Striker

Ray Rice is 50%+ of our Off but in most playoff games he's below avg.
He was fairly quiet in the 2012 meeting vs. New England in their post-season game, but I do remember him ripping apart the Pats in the 2009 playoff game. I know damn well Flacco sucked monkey nuts that game, too, so I decided to look up stats from it.

Flacco: 4/10, 34 yards, INT

Rice: 22 car., 159 yards, 2 TD's

Flacco had two completions to wide receivers. Barely above Alex Smith level!

Milchjon

He was fairly quiet in the 2012 meeting vs. New England in their post-season game, but I do remember him ripping apart the Pats in the 2009 playoff game. I know damn well Flacco sucked monkey nuts that game, too, so I decided to look up stats from it.

Flacco: 4/10, 34 yards, INT

Rice: 22 car., 159 yards, 2 TD's

Flacco had two completions to wide receivers. Barely above Alex Smith level!

Will always hate him for that game. Lil fucker.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
robert_grittin_iii.jpg

Michael Jackson with tiny dreads?

SonnyBoy

Ray Rice is 50%+ of our Off but in most playoff games he's below avg.

IMHO, if Balt truly had WR's that demanded respect, it's create more oppurtunities for Ray Rice. Once you get to the playoffs, the competition is higher and it's no secret that he's 50%+ of the Ravens offense.

Removing him from the equation forces Flacco to take over. And quite honestly, he's at least put the team in position to win the past two years. But in both years, you've had WR's dropping the ball when it matters.

Ray isn't Jammal Lewis, he's not going to bust throw 8 man fronts all game long. Part of it is on him too, he has disappeared a bit but I think it has more to do with how he's being defended.

squicken

Greg Cossel has mentioned this, but every single critic would have a different opinion of Flacco if Lee Evans just catches that ball. That NE defense was playing well and handled NYG pretty well 2 weeks later. But Flacco drove his team down the field at the end of the game and made a great throw in a clutch moment. That throw took a big arm and great accuracy and he made it.

To me he's there with Cutler and maybe Romo to a lesser extent as guys who get knocked for stuff that isn't always their fault, and are guys you can win a SB with and not in the Alex Smith game manager type of way where you just hope they don't ruin it. They can be positive influences on the outcomes of big games

Michael Jackson with tiny dreads?

Image title says it's RG3

Milchjon

Greg Cossel has mentioned this, but every single critic would have a different opinion of Flacco if Lee Evans just catches that ball. That NE defense was playing well and handled NYG pretty well 2 weeks later. But Flacco drove his team down the field at the end of the game and made a great throw in a clutch moment. That throw took a big arm and great accuracy and he made it.

To me he's there with Cutler and maybe Romo to a lesser extent as guys who get knocked for stuff that isn't always their fault, and are guys you can win a SB with and not in the Alex Smith game manager type of way where you just hope they don't ruin it. They can be positive influences on the outcomes of big games

70% of NFL GAF are now raging :-D

RBH

CHICAGO (AP) — Pop Warner football players won't be taking quite as many hits from now on.

The youth organization said it is limiting contact in practice to try and make the game safer for young players starting this year.

It said coaches must limit contact to no more than one-third of their practice time. It is also banning full-speed, head-on blocking or tackling drills in which players line up more than 3 yards apart. The organization says coaches can have full-speed drills where players approach each other at an angle but "not straight ahead into each other." It also says there should be no head-to-head contact.

The rule changes announced Tuesday were developed by Pop Warner's medical advisory board as part of its effort to reduce the risk of concussions.

Pop Warner said it is the "first youth sports organization to limit contact in practice."

The long-term health effects of repeated blows to the head have become a major issue for the NFL, which is being sued by more than 2,000 retirees, and the concern has been trickling down to the lower levels of the games.

Some parents have voiced worry about letting their children play football, and the National Sporting Goods Association and the National Federation of State High School Associations have each recorded very slight declines in participation in recent years — though doctors are reluctant to declare the changes a trend just yet.

"We have been very vocal on this issue over the past two years because the health and safety of our young players is always our number one priority," said Pop Warner executive director Jon Butler said. "By instituting these new rules and providing our coaches with proper tackling training and education in concussion awareness and prevention, we aim to equip our members with the tools they need to safely participate in the game they love."

More than 400,000 children in 43 states along with Scotland, Germany, Russia, Japan and Mexico participate in Pop Warner Little Scholars' football, cheerleading and dance programs.

"Pop Warner's rule changes are based on research that shows that more concussions occur in practice than during games," said Dr. Julian Bailes, chairman of the Pop Warner medical advisory board. "The impact of head-to-head contact causes the most severe concussions, so we felt it was imperative that Pop Warner take a proactive approach and limit contact in practices."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...Kk8jkA?docId=84ddd76ac1194495b88f8244313bab0d

Cutler gets knocked more for him asking out of the NFCCG with an injury and then riding the bike on the sideline. Romo gets knocked for the Cowboys terrible won/loss record in December and January games. I fell both are deserved, and both guys get tons of credit when their teams are going well.

eznark

Banned
Flacco made one throw so we're supposed to treat him as a superstar? OK.

And yeah, Cutler and Romo have physical tools far superior to Flacco, as long as you don't count a heart or brain as physical tools.

SonnyBoy

I'd tend to agree. I think it's hard to discern just how good/bad Flacco is.

- He's in an offense that is definitely geared towards smash-mouth football.
- He's in a tough defensive minded division.
- He's had jack-squat to work with at the receiver position.

He's drove the offense down the field in the playoffs twice in a row, just to have a bum WR drop it... If either of those WR's catch that ball, there's a chance that the Ravens have 2 additional rings. And as you stated, he'd be viewed differently.

He's drove the offense down the field in the playoffs twice in a row, just to have a bum WR drop it... If either of those WR's catch that ball, there's a chance that the Ravens have 2 additional rings. And as you stated, he'd be viewed differently.

And if Flacco had made some throws earlier in the game it wouldnt have come down to the final possession both times. Flacco played well enough to give them a chance to win but he didnt play great and take the win even though they had plenty of chances.

squicken

And if Flacco had made some throws earlier in the game it wouldnt have come down to the final possession both times. Flacco played well enough to give them a chance to win but he didnt play great and take the win even though they had plenty of chances.

Not that Flacco is Eli good, but what if Manningham doesn't catch that pass? Eli had his own struggles that game. But he made a great throw into a tight window and in a big moment, only his guy caught it. So is Eli no longer a sure HoF QB if Manningham drops it?

Yeah just really mediocre WRs, though at least Torrey Smith can stretch the field for them now. And I doubt anyone here would want Cam Cameron as an offensive coordinator

eznark

Banned

So, his coaches, who see him every single day, feel that the best way to win with him at QB is to pass as infrequently as possible and that is a mark in his favor?

:jnc

Flacco has played in 9 playoff games. He has been abysmally shitty in 6 of those. Let's not pretend that he was infallible but for two dropped passes.

SonnyBoy

That can be said about any/every player on the team. In addition, we don't know what the routes were, or what the play call was and where fault truly lies in those earlier plays.

What we do know is that for two consecutive years, Flacco has thrown catchable passes to win games in the 4th quarter when it matters. And in both instances, his teammates failed him. I'm not a Raven fan by any means, but that's just how I see it.

SonnyBoy

So, his coaches, who see him every single day, feel that the best way to win with him at QB is to pass as infrequently as possible and that is a mark in his favor?

Flacco has played in 9 playoff games. He has been abysmally shitty in 6 of those. Let's not pretend that he was infallible but for two dropped passes.

Well, he's in a pass-rush heavy division. I think it'd behove the coaches to protect the passer as much as possible. If Flacco was given better WR's and potentially a more pass happy offense, he may thrive, he may not. Again, I'm not a fan of his/theirs so I'm just commenting on what I see.

Yeah just really mediocre WRs, though at least Torrey Smith can stretch the field for them now. And I doubt anyone here would want Cam Cameron as an offensive coordinator

When Torrey isn't dropping a pass, Flacco is throwing it out of bounds. If they can develop some chemistry and Smith learns how to catch, he'll be very dangerous. He consistently takes the top off of the defense.

eznark

Banned
That can be said about any/every player on the team. In addition, we don't know what the routes were, or what the play call was and where fault truly lies in those earlier plays.

What we do know is that for two consecutive years, Flacco has thrown catchable passes to win games in the 4th quarter when it matters. And in both instances, his teammates failed him. I'm not a Raven fan by any means, but that's just how I see it.

He was fucking garbage in that Pittsburgh game. Don't give me "but for one pass" bullshit. He threw for 125 yards on checkdowns and even then only completing about 50%.

BigAT

Not that Flacco is Eli good, but what if Manningham doesn't catch that pass? Eli had his own struggles that game. But he made a great throw into a tight window and in a big moment, only his guy caught it. So is Eli no longer a sure HoF QB if Manningham drops it?

If Manningham doesn't make that catch...it's second down and the Giants still have a ton of time to drive down field for a field goal. It was a huge catch in that it gave the Giants a ton of momentum, but there's nothing to say the Eli still doesn't win that game even if it gets dropped. I appreciate what you're trying to say, it's just not an especially valid example.

SonnyBoy

He was fucking garbage in that Pittsburgh game. Don't give me "but for one pass" bullshit. He threw for 125 yards on checkdowns and even then only completing about 50%.

I think it's apparent that you're way more passionate about this discussion than I am. LMAO. I have no horse in this race.

As an outsider looking in, I saw a QB put his team in position to win and his WR failed him for two consecutive years. You can scream about quarters 1-3 all day long but in the 4th, when it mattered, he rose to the occasion. People rag on Lebron for being hot in quarters 1-3 and disappearing in the 4th. True, a loss is a loss at the end of the day. But, Flacco played well when it mattered. I'm not even saying that you're wrong, really... LOL

squicken

If Manningham doesn't make that catch...it's second down and the Giants still have a ton of time to drive down field for a field goal. It was a huge catch in that it gave the Giants a ton of momentum, but there's nothing to say the Eli still doesn't win that game even if it gets dropped. I appreciate what you're trying to say, it's just not an especially valid example.

So . . . Flacco's throw was better b/c of the game situation?

SonnyBoy

While it's true that it doesn't mean Eli doesn't win the game, I don't think we should undervalue the importance of momentum in an NFL game. It's darn near everything!

eznark

Banned
I think it's apparent that you're way more passionate about this discussion than I am. LMAO. I have no horse in this race.

As an outsider looking in, I saw a QB put his team in position to win and his WR failed him for two consecutive years. You can scream about quarters 1-3 all day long but in the 4th, when it mattered, he rose to the occasion. People rag on Lebron for being hot in quarters 1-3 and disappearing in the 4th. True, a loss is a loss at the end of the day. But, Flacco played well when it mattered. I'm not even saying that you're wrong, really... LOL

KVWrE.gif

Striker

While it's true that it doesn't mean Eli doesn't win the game, I don't think we should undervalue the importance of momentum in an NFL game. It's darn near everything!
I believe Mario had two terribly run routes in that game before his memorable catch later on the final drive. He should take lessons from what Steve Smith and Amani Toomer had down pat, and that's patrolling the sidelines. That's one where Mario finally got it to hold on and get both feet down.

bionic77

:lol :lol :lol

Holy shit at the Flacco apologists. I thought there was only one person in the world that thought Flacco was any good (that being Flacco who anointed himself elite and probably is a 5 time SB champion in his mind as well).

Now I find that GAF is populated with Flacco lovers?

eznark

Banned
:lol :lol :lol

Holy shit at the Flacco apologists. I thought there was only one person in the world that thought Flacco was any good (that being Flacco who anointed himself elite and probably is a 5 time SB champion in his mind as well).

Now I find that GAF is populated with Flacco lovers?

Honestly I'm more stunned that only the fourth quarter matters.

BigAT

So . . . Flacco's throw was better b/c of the game situation?

It's not about "better". I'm just saying that Manning to Manningham isn't a comparable situation to the Ravens drop that cost them the game. Even if it gets dropped, the game isn't close to over for the Giants whereas the Ravens result can be traced back entirely to whether or not Flacco's pass is caught. The Tyree catch in Super Bowl 42 is a better comparison, in that the Giants are pretty fucked if he doesn't come down with that ball.

But does anyone here truly believe that Flacco is a top 5 QB in the league? Top 10? It's not that hard to put him outside the top 15, in which case why the hell is anyone even trying to defend him?

squicken

Flacco is a top 5 QB in the league? Top 10? It's not that hard to put him outside the top 15, in which case why the hell is anyone even trying to defend him?

As far as a qualitative assessment, all I've said was that his critics would view him differently had Evans caught that pass, he wasn't Eli good, and that he can be a positive contributor to an offense. My main point is that I view the criticisms of him as "un-clutch" and as a hindrance to the Ravens' fortunes untrue

Tom Brady is one of the 5 best QBs to ever play, and he had two giant stinkers in last year's playoffs. Is he now not elite, even though he carried that team as far as they went?

bionic77

As far as a qualitative assessment, all I've said was that his critics would view him differently had Evans caught that pass, he wasn't Eli good, and that he can be a positive contributor to an offense. My main point is that I view the criticisms of him as "un-clutch" and as a hindrance to the Ravens' fortunes untrue

Tom Brady is one of the 5 best QBs to ever play, and he had two giant stinkers in last year's playoffs. Is he now not elite, even though he carried that team as far as they went?
Yes when you win big games people see you differently. But no one gives a fuck if you almost won the game.

And Tom Brady is the best transgender demon spawn qb of all time. I wouldn't put in the top 200 though if we are including qb's with penises. Get back to me when Brady wins something without Vinatieri or Bellicheat's handycams to bail his ass out. Even Trent Dilfer won his SB straight up!

Schaub was out, AJ was out, and Foster still tore it up. Both running and receiving. Before Chris Johnson quit football he was the same

edit: I had no idea that Bourne thing was coming out so soon. Ed Norton and Renner? Could be good. He's not a clone is he?

Yeah :/ Foster is basically WR2 on a lot of teams in the NFL though, good hands and vision. Johnson was more about exploiting coverage. Seemed to turn into straight up garbage the moment he gave up and started running directly at the line

Not a clone AFAIK, but the last film went pretty heavily into the idea of how they trained a variety of people to be like Matt Damon. I'm guessing Renner is one of them

Talon

Tom Brady's elite. He's a better QB now then he was when he won three Super Bowls.

whatisawinningquarterback.html

bionic77

Tom doesn't even make as much money as his wife!

I am pretty sure ALL elite qb's support their wives. Only bitches like Brady and Hasselbald have their wives pay for dinner.

As a Ravens fan I'd say I'm ok with Flacco, but I've been conditioned for well over a decade to not expect much from my QBs. If there was a better, proven, option out there I'd be all for it but I really don't see a better QB we could get that doesn't require fantastical leaps of logic to make the deal happen. Closest this off-season was Flynn but you're just asking us to trade unproven for unproven.

eznark

Banned
Tom doesn't even make as much money as his wife!

I am pretty sure ALL elite qb's support their wives. Only bitches like Brady and Hasselbald have their wives pay for dinner.

I bet Giselle lets Tom watch football and play video games when he wants though.

bionic77

I bet Giselle lets Tom watch football and play video games when he wants though.
True, but we both know that those kids are not his.

I love my kids and don't mind helping out as needed.

Also, there are no strap ons allowed in my bedroom. Unlike Tom and Giselle I don't need one!

Talon

What 's our definition of elite again?

Press Tom's receivers and he folds. This isn't 2007 where Tom could do it all.
This isn't an oversimplification of the Super Bowl at all.

Tom's a much better QB than he was last year. The reality is, he makes that one pass to Welker, and we could very well be having a different conversation. All the credit in the world goes to the Giants and Eli for that incredible sideline pass, obviously.

Top Bottom