• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

Talon

Gabbert is a complete statue. The Jacksonville - Atlanta game that was a joke in about 10 minutes was a direct result of Gabbert's inability to get rid of the ball. Abraham didn't even play that dominant of a game - two of those sacks were total gifts.

On a side note, I really wish we had a new Soul Reaver or Legacy of Kain game to look forward to. Tropes are tropes, I know, but Kain is a sweet character. Probably the best thing Dyack ever created - including ED.

squicken

-Ed Reed a no-show at mini-camp. Ray Lewis says it's a family issue but Reed has also voiced displeasure at contract

-MJD a no show as well. Contract issue but they would be dumb to give him anything so they probably will b/c Gene is a moron

-Bryant McKinnie shockingly is out of shape and is held out of practices to work on conditioning

TheFatOne

Yes, he likely won't play this season.

Did a little reading, and he is a restricted free agent. Looks like the Pats wanted his rights. I didn't realize the Giants didn't really have a choice, but to cut him. Ballard killed the Pats last season, and if he ever gets healthy he would be a nice addition.

Did a little reading, and he is a restricted free agent. Looks like the Pats wanted his rights. I didn't realize the Giants didn't really have a choice, but to cut him. Ballard killed the Pats last season, and if he ever gets healthy he would be a nice addition.

And an insurance for when Gronk fucks up whilst drunk at some club.

Tamanon

Banned
-Ed Reed a no-show at mini-camp. Ray Lewis says it's a family issue but Reed has also voiced displeasure at contract

-MJD a no show as well. Contract issue but they would be dumb to give him anything so they probably will b/c Gene is a moron

-Bryant McKinnie shockingly is out of shape and is held out of practices to work on conditioning

Why would the Jags be dumb to give the franchise player anything? Dude is still super effective and is the face of the team. He deserves star money.

VJLCP.gif

Why would the Jags be dumb to give the franchise player anything? Dude is still super effective and is the face of the team. He deserves star money.

Teams are not allowed to pay RB's any more. I think the Jags absolutely should pay him, the guy is their whole offense and an amazing player.

I watched 15 minutes of Chronicle then turned it off because the faux-documentary shitty cam was making me sick.

Haven't seen more stupid "cinematography" since the Bourne Identity.

squicken

RBs just aren't huge difference makers. I'm not in eznark territory where I would never give a RB a good contract. Certain guys like Peterson and Foster you pay. Even a younger MJD would deserve a good deal. Which he already got. But he's 27 and that's ancient for a RB. Every team in that division hopes you give him a giant contract.

Tamanon

Banned
RBs just aren't huge difference makers. I'm not in eznark territory where I would never give a RB a good contract. Certain guys like Peterson and Foster you pay. Even a younger MJD would deserve a good deal. Which he already got. But he's 27 and that's ancient for a RB. Every team in that division hopes you give him a giant contract.

Dude, he was almost half of our offense last season.

eznark

Banned

I'm willing to pay for RBs who can participate in the passing game.

bionic77

Who was the last RB a team rode to a SB? Mendy almost beat the Pack in a 2nd half comeback when their roids were starting to fail but he forgot to hold onto the ball so close but no cigar.

A great RB is necessary when you have a shit RB like Flacco To rabutment offense but eventually that always gets exposed.

Striker

Patriots claim Jake Ballard. Probably won't play this season but he killed New England last year in the regular season.
He's slower than Tom Brady, but he caught most and was pretty reliable. Can improve his blocking.

Sucks about him leaving. I really liked him. Hopefully heavyset Bennett fills the void and improves his receiving and Beckum can get back on the field. He did get better as the season wore on and was a factor in the post-season a bit.

squicken

Dude, he was almost half of our offense last season.

I said this about Curtis Martin and it got folk upset but I'll say it about MJD. As a Texans fan once upon a time, I never felt like "oh shit we gotta stop MJD or we'll never win". He made big plays from time to time, but I never viewed him as a home run hitter -- game changing kind of back.

Rams fans kind of have this with Stephen Jackson. He's been the only good player on offense for so long, and thus fed the ball an amount disproportionate of time, that he accumulated very good numbers and the affection of Rams fans. But he was never a game changer. You pay people who inspire fear

I said this about Curtis Martin and it got folk upset but I'll say it about MJD. As a Texans fan once upon a time, I never felt like "oh shit we gotta stop MJD or we'll never win". He made big plays from time to time, but I never viewed him as a home run hitter -- game changing kind of back.

Rams fans kind of have this with Stephen Jackson. He's been the only good player on offense for so long, and thus fed the ball an amount disproportionate of time, that he accumulated very good numbers and the affection of Rams fans. But he was never a game changer. You pay people who inspire fear

With both those offenses though you know where the ball is going. Hard to inspire fear when the defense has ten in the box to stuff you at the snap.

Nakazato

MJD is one of the maybe 5 backs in the NFL you pay.

Ray Rice
Adrian Peterson
Adrian Foster
MJD
Lesean McCoy

edit: I'd put Matt Forte on there too.

Ray Rice Respect for a steelers fan never thought id see the day

But your logic is flawed

Foster
AP
RR

Ray Rice is 50%+ of our Off but in most playoff games he's below avg.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I wouldn't pay any running back. They are simply not worth the same kind of money that other positions get paid because they don't have the same level of impact on the game. The difference between a league average running back and a supposedly elite running back is much, much less than pretty much every other position.

Looks like most teams are taking this stance. The days of overpaying running backs should long be dead.

squicken

With both those offenses though you know where the ball is going. Hard to inspire fear when the defense has ten in the box to stuff you at the snap.

Schaub was out, AJ was out, and Foster still tore it up. Both running and receiving. Before Chris Johnson quit football he was the same

I agree with ez on the receiving part, though I'd still pay Peterson even if he isn't good in that department. He's such a special runner you work around that.

edit: I had no idea that Bourne thing was coming out so soon. Ed Norton and Renner? Could be good. He's not a clone is he?

LJ11

I wouldn't pay any running back. They are simply not worth the same kind of money that other positions get paid because they don't have the same level of impact on the game. The difference between a league average running back and a supposedly elite running back is much, much less than pretty much every other position.

Looks like most teams are taking this stance. The days of overpaying running backs should long be dead.

Too bad you can't actually measure this, like at all.

An elite G vs an average G, would I want to pay an elite guard close to 10m? How much more valuable is he than one making 2m-4m?

You can count the backs that excel in all three facets on one hand, and they're pretty valuable, especially with everyone going to open sets. Show me a team who doesn't want a Marshall Faulk and would rather take an "average" back, LOL.

Too bad you can't actually measure this, like at all.

An elite G vs an average G, would I want to pay an elite guard close to 10m? How much more valuable is he than one making 2m-4m?

You can count the backs that excel in all three facets on one hand, and they're pretty valuable, especially with everyone going to open sets. Show me a team who doesn't want a Marshall Faulk and would rather take an "average" back, LOL.

Yeah I think the "rbs don't mean shit!" has gone too far

Top Bottom