• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

Spinluck

It kind of saddens me when people on GAF say they're straight up ugly/unattractive.

I am all for honesty, and being real. But it just seems like a really harsh way to look at yourself.

Bread

Banned
It kind of saddens me when people on GAF say they're straight up ugly/unattractive.

I am all for honesty, and being real. But it just seems like a really harsh way to look at yourself.
It's not like a self esteem thing, it's probably body dysmorphia. No matter who or what people tell me it's just what I see. Some of you have seen me so you know if I actually am ugly or not heh

Spinluck

Confidence is an issue for most of the population, myself included.

Yeah, I'm aware.

I'm not even that confident of a person. But the way that some of the post come off is like they've given up all hope in themselves.

It's not like a self esteem thing, it's probably body dysmorphia. No matter who or what people tell me it's just what I see. Some of you have seen me so you know if I actually am ugly or not heh

That may be true.

Yes, I have seen you before on your Outlast stream, and you look like a Pats fan.

ShaneB

Yeah, I'm aware.

I'm not even that confident of a person. But the way that some of the post come off is like they've given up all hope in themselves.

It's sad indeed, and I've been there, heck I still am there some days. Like Bread said, for a lot of people it's just become ingrained in their thought process of their own self image.

jakncoke

Banned

But I am ugly, it is what is. I dont dwell on it, just accept it as is and live day to day like any other person.

MRSA

Banned
a bright light appears when I step outside

Tim-Tebow2.jpg

Praise him

Smh at bread. I message him asking if he's going to be on battlefield for much longer, he immediately switches to FIFA and now won't accept party invites.

Fucking Pats fans

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Stop talking about my speedy outfielder!

Also fucking hell looks like this baseball game is on despite it being sopping wet outside.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Dimple? The man has a butt for a face.

His digestive system must be super efficient when his anus is right next to his mouth.

WedgeX

Banned
Lol social work does have hot females..but I have a penis. I'm finding that social work is depressing too. I did my internships with cps and I said fuck that shit. Like you said I wasn't ok with breaking up families.

But from your perspective how come these hot SWs don't do shit and yet Socisl work is depressing?

Yeah a MSW is basically a minimum nowadays.

That being said, the biggest is that the baby boomers are refusing to retire. Fuckin olds.

Feel as though I need to add to the social work talk that was going on earlier. Been a case manager in foster care reunification and now in adult mental health for three plus years now. Always out in the community. So doing all the shit a level below licensed social workers. The depression in social work comes from seeing people destroyed by social, by families, by systems, by random acts of fate, by substances, by themselves. And its not short term like hospitals or police see. Its a slow fucking burn. Getting to know peoples stories, in depth. Knowing hopes, dreams, aspirations. On occasion seeing it all come down. Helping remove children is got dang terrible. So is involuntarily putting someone in the hospital. Watching children be removed due to outright racism by workers and the courts blindly trusting them. Watching adults years into their recovery fall back into PCP usage and jump out of your moving car. Counseling people through suicidal periods before coaxing them to a hospital. Getting screamed at up and down busy streets. Getting assaulted in projects, in homes. Asked by ER doctors why isn't more being done. Death hits a little harder, too, knowing someones life story.

But fuck if fighting all of that isn't a got dang good fight. Seeing humanity. Successes of parenting, rising above shit circumstances, stable mental health. Celebrating decades of sobriety. New jobs, new housing. Rebuilding peoples lives from the shit that has come before. Watching independence come back. Knowing the law and fucking with lazy assholes who judge people without giving a fuck about what is right or legal. Seeing kids return home after foster care. That look is priceless. Getting to know the resources and people who are passionate about all it that pick up the places in food assistance, education, and employment help that we as a society generally give no fucks about. Bringing just the tiniest bit of hope. I disagree with MRSA that change isn't possible past childhood. Maybe the foundation is laid in childhood, but who can say for sure. I've fucking seen it, man. And that's why you get into social work.

Kave I just realized I might miss the first game of the season :/ I think I might have to take my personal trainers test and classes that weekend. Post a drake song for me friend, I need to reevaluate my life decisions.

MRSA

Banned
I disagree with MRSA that change isn't possible past childhood. Maybe the foundation is laid in childhood, but who can say for sure. I've fucking seen it, man. And that's why you get into social work.

Fucked up kids become fucked up adults, I've seen The Wire, I know what happens.

There's an occasional adult you can rehab, but the problem is chiseling away at their foundation, they have to want to change. If not, buy them a urn already.

Also that being said, mental health is a joke here in this country, its a taboo kinda thing to talk about.

Konka

Banned
Fucked up kids become fucked up adults, I've seen The Wire, I know what happens.

There's an occasional adult you can rehab, but the problem is chiseling away at their foundation, they have to want to change. If not, buy them a urn already.

Also that being said, mental health is a joke here in this country, its a taboo kinda thing to talk about.

Says the guy who was drinking at 10am.

Top Bottom