• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Feel as though I need to add to the social work talk that was going on earlier. Been a case manager in foster care reunification and now in adult mental health for three plus years now. Always out in the community. So doing all the shit a level below licensed social workers. The depression in social work comes from seeing people destroyed by social, by families, by systems, by random acts of fate, by substances, by themselves. And its not short term like hospitals or police see. Its a slow fucking burn. Getting to know peoples stories, in depth. Knowing hopes, dreams, aspirations. On occasion seeing it all come down. Helping remove children is got dang terrible. So is involuntarily putting someone in the hospital. Watching children be removed due to outright racism by workers and the courts blindly trusting them. Watching adults years into their recovery fall back into PCP usage and jump out of your moving car. Counseling people through suicidal periods before coaxing them to a hospital. Getting screamed at up and down busy streets. Getting assaulted in projects, in homes. Asked by ER doctors why isn't more being done. Death hits a little harder, too, knowing someones life story.

But fuck if fighting all of that isn't a got dang good fight. Seeing humanity. Successes of parenting, rising above shit circumstances, stable mental health. Celebrating decades of sobriety. New jobs, new housing. Rebuilding peoples lives from the shit that has come before. Watching independence come back. Knowing the law and fucking with lazy assholes who judge people without giving a fuck about what is right or legal. Seeing kids return home after foster care. That look is priceless. Getting to know the resources and people who are passionate about all it that pick up the places in food assistance, education, and employment help that we as a society generally give no fucks about. Bringing just the tiniest bit of hope. I disagree with MRSA that change isn't possible past childhood. Maybe the foundation is laid in childhood, but who can say for sure. I've fucking seen it, man. And that's why you get into social work.

You're doing great work, Wedge. Society needs more people like you.

I do agree with MRSA that there are some people that will never change and that is most likely rooted deeply through childhood. But we should at least try and help people with mental issues that are in dire need. I've battled with it in the past so I can personally say that system in place can help you one way or another if you want the help. Either you go to jail and learn your lessons the hard way or you follow court mandated guidelines such as AA and work on improving yourself.

MRSA

Banned
Says the guy who was drinking at 10am.

Konka, is it not you're patriotic duty as an American to drink beers as soon as you start your BBQ? To judge or deny me that freedom is like me not defending your right as an American to be able to eat pineapple pizza.

Shame on you Konka, shame.

cajunator

Banned
Dat swag

colin-kaepernick-4-11-14-2.jpg

honestly aside from the shitty outfit, Kaepernick bought a good value sportscar. Easily affordable even on a small salary in the NFL. It looked flashy at the time but really its not a bad ride for 70K

Konka

Banned
Konka, is it not you're patriotic duty as an American to drink beers as soon as you start your BBQ? To judge or deny me that freedom is like me not defending your right as an American to be able to eat pineapple pizza.

Shame on you Konka, shame.

You are right, I neglected the BBQ part. I too will start drinking at 10am saturday when I start grilling.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Don't blame Suh for not signing deal yet

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Ndamukong Suh heard you.

It went somewhat unnoticed a month or so ago when he spoke with the general Detroit Lions media about his contract situation, but yes, he heard you. Or at least heard about you.

He heard about the criticism directed at him from everywhere -- that maybe the Lions should trade him because he has yet to sign an extension and he might not sign one. That he wasn't being a leader because he didn't show up at voluntary minicamp in April. That he should just sign his contract to help the Lions with their cap space since he currently occupies $22.4 million of it.

"For sure, I'm aware of it," Suh said. "I had friends, family, people that are close to me saying people were saying bad things about me and blah, blah, blah. There's people who are always going to talk bad about you. You have to be a deaf-mute if you didn't hear it.

"For me, from that standpoint, I hear it, but it doesn't necessarily bother me because I'm staying consistent in who I am and I'm going to be here prepared when it's time to go, as I am now."

Whether the criticism of his missing workouts was valid is one question. The criticism about Suh not signing a contract by the start of free agency -- or even by now -- is another. This is the issue for Suh and for many other players around the NFL.

They understand their time for making elite money is finite. Other than quarterbacks, that chance usually lasts one, maybe two contracts after their rookie deals.

Yet in team sports, those players are often chastised for trying to leverage and take as much time as they can to make sure they receive the best possible deal for themselves. This has happened with Suh, who has every right to work with his agent, Jimmy Sexton, to figure out what is the best possible strategy and option for him.

Players are often treated as commodities by fans when it comes to contracts, and realistically, by their play. They are expected to show loyalty to a franchise and a city that most of them have no connection to other than they were drafted by the team and had no choice but to spend the first three, four or five years of their careers there.

Sometimes it happens. Sometimes the match between team and player works so well, the player can't imagine being anywhere else. There is a tough line there, though. The line between loyalty and the reality of the NFL and the extremely cut-throat business it truly is.

If their production warrants, players are expected by fans to stay in one place their whole careers. If that production falters, those same fans and even some teams are quick to move because the cost benefit is no longer there on a player, especially those with high salary-cap numbers. That's how Emmitt Smith ended up in Arizona at the tail end of his career. Or how Chad Johnson ended up in the CFL, and Jerry Rice in Oakland, Seattle and, for not even a game, in Denver.

How often in any other career -- in which the earning span is much longer and your prime can be a decade or more -- does a person stay at a company for 30 or 40 years, which would be the real-world equivalent of an NFL career?

Before there is an argument over whether Suh is doing the right thing by taking his time, look at it from this perspective: Say, instead of an NFL player with a contingent of fans following him, Suh was a talented executive in the technology sector hitting his prime, with rare skills that make him a potentially valuable commodity on the open market. Would there be any question that person should at least test the open market if he wanted to? Would anyone criticize this person?

If the answer to those questions is "It's the American way to go after what you think you're worth," then you can't blame Suh for not snapping up a deal with Detroit immediately.

Suh is a player who, while polarizing, has lived up to what Detroit drafted (hired) him to do. He has an exceptional work ethic. His offseason training program has left him healthy every season.

Suh has been exactly what Detroit has wanted on the field. He's been a player who commands double-teams, yet he's still able to make plays when he has to. That often offsets his occasional lapses in judgment, including the stomp of Green Bay offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith that led to a two-game suspension, the only two games he has missed in his career.

Remember, this is the contract that should set Suh, his family and the next generation of his family up for life. He would be doing himself an injustice if he didn't investigate all avenues.

To be fair, Suh has indicated in the past he would at least like to try to stay in Detroit. The question is whether the team and the 27-year-old can come to an amicable decision on a contract both sides are happy with.

Until then, don't blame Suh for not signing a contract yet. He's doing what almost any other person in his position would do.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/post/_/id/8972/dont-blame-suh-for-not-signing-deal-yet

It was July 11th last year we extended our first ever franchise QB, Matthew Stafford. I will never forgive this franchise if we let Suh go or do not pay him what he deserves, He is a part of this teams identity and is the most physically gifted defensive player in the league. I am starting to get a little worried as to why we have not extended him yet. He deserves to be the highest paid defensive player in the league IMO. He is that good. Hopefully he is signed by the time he gets back from the World Cup.

I know most Lions fans will disagree with me on this but I think we should trade Megatron at the end of the season. He'll be 30 by the start of the 2015 season, and at his height and size I don't believe his knees will hold up over time. I say we trade him for as many draft picks we can get which in turn will also free up cap space to sign another receiver as well as add a few receivers through the draft.

He's been so loyal to the city of Detroit and the Lions that this would be honestly depressing. But in the end it would be better for him and for our franchise.

Kas wants to trade Calvin Johnson? He's only 29 wat? Why would you want to get rid of one of one of the best Wrs in the game? I didn't read all the cap stuff, but it's probably worth it for a player like that. You can't just replace a guy like that, I imagine staffords game being vastly different without Calvin. A guy like Calvin improves the whole offense, it's not like the lions have a surplus of Amazing offensive weapons. .....sorry kas
Edit: didn't she his previous post

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
it's ok, they have the best d-line in all of football and John Matthew Stafford will diffuse the defenses with his dazzling display of delivery

DAMN

Someone should make a Stafford Mii and NFL-GAF should have a Stafford only Mario Kart race.

WedgeX

Banned
I know most Lions fans will disagree with me on this but I think we should trade Megatron at the end of the season. He'll be 30 by the start of the 2015 season, and at his height and size I don't believe his knees will hold up over time. I say we trade him for as many draft picks we can get which in turn will also free up cap space to sign another receiver as well as add a few receivers through the draft.

izwjSKi1X6SXw.jpg

idUmDcicVVehZ.jpg

iMQBtjzHo4JcJ.png

Got dang bewildered.

ibxb0BfPqifZeO.jpg

ib1FVMGbvBh1P0.gif

mr2xxx

Banned
somebody got snyder back on his leash

Bruce Allen is good with the cap I'll give him that, acquiring talent in FA or through the draft is another issue. Hopefully Hatcher and DJax pan out because the narrative could easily be Redskins over paying for an over the hill player and a Diva.

cajunator

Banned
Bruce Allen is good with the cap I'll give him that, acquiring talent in FA or through the draft is another issue. Hopefully Hatcher and DJax pan out because the narrative could easily be Redskins over paying for an over the hill player and a Diva.

Dude snatching up DJax was an incredible stroke of luck. I dont think anyone will question that pick up. Eagles should have never released him.

Redskins worst cap hits are Stephen Bowen at 7 mill., and Chris Chester at 4.3 million. Not bad considering our history.

Our worst are our two highest in Harvin (13.4mill) and Okung (11.24mill) mainly because they constantly get injured. Avril's isn't that great either at 9.25mill because of how much we rotate our Dline but we had him cheap last year and this is the last year of the deal.

Top Bottom