• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

cdyhybrid

All the nerds and Apple haters were shitting on that purchase (to me it seemed dumb but what the fuck do I know) but I do notice a ton of people proudly rocking those headphones.

Be interesting to see why they wanted it though. Can't imagine it was for the headphones.

They get easy money via selling headphones, but the real prize is Dre/Iovine's music industry connections and the Beats Music streaming service. If they combine that with iTunes and do it right they could own music streaming.

rando14

Oh my fuck battle royale is incredible

This motherfucker right here

5bePBd2.jpg

MechDX

http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/5...ayers-mimicking-bill-obriens-media-coachspeak

Doublespeak and non-speak certainly aren't new concepts for head coaches of pro sports teams, but O'Brien has learned a lot from his former boss up in New England. Bill Belichick who is--on good days--passively belligerent with the media, knows the value of a controlled message. He controls what information comes out from his staff and players alike.

And now we're seeing it here in Houston. Since the beginning, O'Brien has stressed the team mentality. Grubb compiled this list of eerily similar quotes from enough players to establish a clear pattern:

• QB Ryan Fitzpatrick - "The whole goal is to get us playing as one, as a team and we’ll expect good results if that happens."
• DE J.J. Watt - "I come every single day and try to do the best I can, be a good teammate and do my job."
• NT Louis Nix III - "Just working hard and being a good teammate to everybody around. I feel like that is all you can do, just work hard."
"I just want to learn from whatever Coach teaches me and learn from them and do a good job at it. At this point, that’s my job."
• FB Jay Prosch - "I’m just trying to get better and become a better teammate and really just work hard."
• QB Tom Savage - "You just have to compete. You have to do whatever you can to help this team out and that’s all I’m going to do."
• G Xavier Su’a-Filo - "It’s about working hard and trying our best, do our job, be as coachable as possible and be a great teammate here."

Even though he's had this job for over half a year now, O'Brien has had less than a month of interaction with these players and already he's got them all whistling the same tune. This is in extreme contrast to Gary Kubiak's laissez-faire, "it's on me" style of coaching.

Remember "On the Nose with Shaun Cody?" It started up in 2011 and ran through the end of the 2012 season. I'm guessing if O'Brien had been the coach three years ago, he would have told Cody two things:
1.It's too ego-centric, and it doesn't help the team win.
2.I cut you two weeks ago; why are you still here?

Antonio Smith's beloved ninja antics might have been dampered, too. J.J. Watt playfully mocking Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews with sack celebrations might have earned him an unpleasant earful from his coach... especially since they were crushed on prime-time television.

The reason I love the O'Brien hire is the bolded. Kubiak had zero discipline and no accountability. I was so sick of hearing the "its on me" and "we just have to keep battlin!" Everyone laughs about the Belichick coaching tree failures but O Brien is what this team needed and I hope he has success.

cajunator

Banned
http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/5...ayers-mimicking-bill-obriens-media-coachspeak

The reason I love the O'Brien hire is the bolded. Kubiak had zero discipline and no accountability. I was so sick of hearing the "its on me" and "we just have to keep battlin!" Everyone laughs about the Belichick coaching tree failures but O Brien is what this team needed and I hope he has success.

Thats what I like about Sean Payton. dude has his way of doing things and he gets everyone to fall in line.

cdyhybrid

Baldwin looked sharp in first OTA

RENTON, Wash. -- If Day 1 of Seattle's organized team activities is any indication, the Seahawks may want to hurry up and finalize a contract extension for receiver Doug Baldwin.

Baldwin was the clear standout Tuesday in the first OTA practice sessions, catching three deep throws, including a one-handed grab to beat Richard Sherman for a touchdown.

“Doug has been a tremendous player,” Seattle coach Pete Carroll said after the practice session. “When you go back and look at the last few years, and you look at the significant plays that have happened, he’s been a part in a lot of big stuff.

Pay the man!

More from Doug Farrar

Of course, there are holes to be filled. The Seahawks were able to keep most of their key guys in the offseason, but the loss of Golden Tate to the Lions leaves Carroll in a bit of a lurch when thinking about who’s going to return punts. Right now, he has two newly minted big-money players in the mix.

“If we had to start today, Earl Thomas would be the first guy back there, and he’s really excited about that,” Carroll said. “Percy Harvin is out there vying for it, Richard Sherman would tell you he’s the best one, and he catches the ball really well. He and Earl would take it right now.”

Thomas, for his part, has been lobbying for such opportunities since he came to Seattle as a first-round pick in 2010.

Sobering thoughts from Oregon Sports News

The position became even less attractive in 2014. This year, the running back position slid even further, reaching the 54th overall selection (second round) when the Tennessee Titans selected former Washington Huskies running back Bishop Sankey.

If this trend continues, the first running back in the 2015 draft won’t be selected until the third round.

Veteran running backs are finding the going even tougher. Arguably the two top-most performing running backs of the past three seasons, Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings and Marshawn Lynch of the Seattle Seahawks, are almost certainly in their last seasons with their respective clubs. Both veterans are perilously close to age 30 and come with unsustainable salaries. Also looking at have-a-career-year-or-be-gone-next-season: Gore, LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte and the newest New York Jet, Chris Johnson. It’s tough sledding for ball carriers.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
How did they lose tonight? Why are people so confident they will win again?

Lebron had 5 fouls tonight, only played about 13 minutes for the first three quarters.

Pacers only managed to win by 2 and the Heat still had a chance at the end to win it.

Tom Penny

Lebron had 5 fouls tonight, only played about 13 minutes for the first three quarters.

Pacers only managed to win by 2 and the Heat still had a chance at the end to win it.

Nothing new. Lebron is always getting screwed by the refs.

During a rather prolific period last season, James once went 250 consecutive minutes without being called for a foul. During a two-week stretch in 2009, he was called for a total of three fouls in nine games, including five consecutive games without drawing a whistle. A full week of NBA basketball without a single foul.

ShaneB

Yall should just watch Gattaca.

Great movie, great science fiction that tends to be a hidden gem. Same with 'The Thirteeth Floor'.

Love the idea of Earl Thomas on punt returns. My favourite player getting more action? Hell yeah, but dang it be careful!

Valkyria Chronicles is one of my fav PS3 games. Sony should have turned that shit to their Fire Emblem (since SEGA isn't too big with the Shining games anymore lol).

I hope we get some kind of Fire Emblem announcement from E3. May VC rest in piece.
I went to bed so I missed this wonderful post last night. This is a wonderful post.

cajunator

Banned
Great movie, great science fiction that tends to be a hidden gem. Same with 'The Thirteeth Floor'.

Love the idea of Earl Thomas on punt returns. My favourite player getting more action? Hell yeah, but dang it be careful!

I wish I had watched it sooner. I will likely rewatch Gattaca a few dozen times.

Top Bottom