• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
There are very, very few movies that I'll watch more than a few times...I can't be the only one like this. I used to buy a lot of blu-rays but there's really no point for me...I'd rather just rewatch stuff on Netflix (which already has Big Trouble in Little China, the only movie worth watching dozens of times).

cajunator

Banned
There are very, very few movies that I'll watch more than a few times...I can't be the only one like this. I used to buy a lot of blu-rays but there's really no point for me...I'd rather just rewatch stuff on Netflix (which already has Big Trouble in Little China, the only movie worth watching dozens of times).

digital streaming probably works well for you. I like to rewatch some particular movies a lot of times just because I enjoy them that much. Knowing how a story goes the second or subsequent times does not diminish my enjoyment of certain things.
I have watched the anime movie Millennium Actress for example over a hundred times at least. I rewatch it several times a year.

BigAT

I'm the same way. I pretty much stopped buying movies after I realized at least 50% of them were still in the shrink wrap after a year. TV shows are the only thing I really re-watch and even then it's almost exclusively comedy. Breaking Bad is really the only drama I was into that I have watched more than once.

cajunator

Banned
I'm the same way. I pretty much stopped buying movies after I realized at least 50% of them were still in the shrink wrap after a year. TV shows are the only thing I really re-watch and even then it's almost exclusively comedy. Breaking Bad is really the only drama I was into that I have watched more than once.

Ive watched Twister way too many times to count. Same with Jurassic Park and some others.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

didwejustbecomebestfriends.gif

I can rewatch things like Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Always Sunny, etc. easily. I think I watched all of Battlestar Galactica twice. Television shows have the benefit of being hours upon hours of length so I forget a lot of what happened.

digital streaming probably works well for you. I like to rewatch some particular movies a lot of times just because I enjoy them that much. Knowing how a story goes the second or subsequent times does not diminish my enjoyment of certain things.
I have watched the anime movie Millennium Actress for example over a hundred times at least. I rewatch it several times a year.

Unfortunately it diminishes my enjoyment immensely unless it's comedy. There's so much stuff out there that I haven't seen, especially with Netflix, that watching a movie I've already seen once or even twice seems pointless.

Konka

Banned
Ive watched Twister way too many times to count. Same with Jurassic Park and some others.

Sure but those are two movies that dont exactly rely on the story and twister is a comedy for all intents and purposes.

didwejustbecomebestfriends.gif

I can rewatch things like Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Always Sunny, etc. easily. I think I watched all of Battlestar Galactica twice. Television shows have the benefit of being hours upon hours of length so I forget a lot of what happened.

Unfortunately it diminishes my enjoyment immensely unless it's comedy. There's so much stuff out there that I haven't seen, especially with Netflix, that watching a movie I've already seen once or even twice seems pointless.

I concur. Good comedies are endlessly rewatchable.

BigAT

There are definitely plenty of movies I'll re-watch if I'm flipping through HBO and see something (Twister is certainly among them), but it's an incredibly rare occasion that I feel the desire to go grab a disc and start a movie from the beginning to re-watch. Die Hard is the exception to this rule, it can be re-watched from any point an infinite number of times.

cajunator

Banned
Sure but those are two movies that dont exactly rely on the story and twister is a comedy for all intents and purposes.

I concur. Good comedies are endlessly rewatchable.

Ive watched story driven things too. Forrest gump, Conspiracy theory, True Lies, all kinds of things. I rewatch movies all the time.

Fox318

854834656.gif

Draxal

I just really want a fire emblem awakening sequel. I can't believe Nintendo is sitting on it, after how big of a hit the last one was (relative of course). As it was the only million seller, in that series.

Talon

They get easy money via selling headphones, but the real prize is Dre/Iovine's music industry connections and the Beats Music streaming service. If they combine that with iTunes and do it right they could own music streaming.
It's not about the content business necessarily. Music has become commoditized. The track and album is not a profit center anymore; it's the ancillary branches of music that artists need to leverage nowadays - concerts and swag have always had a big legacy, obviously, but there's a reason there's been a boom in artist-branded hardware - whether it's headphones, earbuds, speakers, clothing lines, etc. That shit is much more profitable than music streaming and sales.

Iovine's goal with Beats has been to create a platform that accentuates the "tie" between artists and their respective audiences. He's been talking about this since like 2010 or so. It's sort of a pipe dream, but I have to think that dream is part of the reason for the acquisition.

There are a few startups out there like The Next Sound that basically tries to provide better data for labels and artists (radio still uses fucking surveys), and the industry is crying out for better data. A Salesforce for music, if you will.

It's hard not to notice that Apple's press release mentioned music and services before talking about the hardware. The hardware's hilariously profitable as shitty as they are. We don't really have a precedent for Apple managing a subsidiary like this, so we won't know how hands-on Apple will be. However, they did announce that Beats is terminating its relationship with their design firm, so that indicates that at least that component is coming in-house.

In closing: their hardware is super profitable right now so that obviously makes sense immediately, but the purchase is absolutely about services and leveraging Iovine's access and knowhow to build out a next generation music platform.

Now, one really curious part is...the acquisition is only 2x revenue ($1.5 billion in 2013). THAT is surprising.

I just really want a fire emblem awakening sequel. I can't believe Nintendo is sitting on it, after how big of a hit the last one was (relative of course). As it was the only million seller, in that series.
Yeah man, a new FE would be incredible. IS has to be working on something big we don't know about...

ShaneB

I want a game to get excited for

I realize my tastes have changed when there are books coming out that I'm excited for, but draw a blank when I try and think of any game I'm excited for. I guess if I had a ps4 I'd be interested to see how Madden turns out, but what I played of Madden 25, I still liked Madden 08 pc more, so who knows how that will be. edit: and Civ beyond Earth.

Edit... We need to play some hot shots golf sometime.

So are we going to have The Decision 2.0 with Jonny in a few years?

Please don't hate me, BG!

The Decision 2.0 being when he's cut in two seasons.

The Decision 2.0: Drunk in a gutter or drunk in Vegas?

He better stay away from Miami though

Deciding which CFL team to sign with?

Hopefully his decision is to sign with the Eagles in a few years.
Can we just start calling him Johnny Future ESPN Analyst instead?
tumblr_ll46kv8CJ81qfs6kyo1_500.gif

Insular

Top Bottom