• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

supposed to be a good meteor shower 2-4 AM EST (5 minutes from now) if any of you people are interested - saw estimates of 100 to 1000 an hour
Ain't got nothin' but light pollution here.

I should move back out into the sticks so I can see the stars.

x-men was pretty good. pretty brutal in some spots considering it was pg-13 spoiler:
iceman getting his head ripped off and smashed, colossus being ripped in half, sunfire getting his arms chopped off, bishop being burned alive, etc.

also i would like to get inside jennifer lawrence's butt

x-men was pretty good. pretty brutal in some spots considering it was pg-13 spoiler:
iceman getting his head ripped off and smashed, colossus being ripped in half, sunfire getting his arms chopped off, bishop being burned alive, etc.

also i would like to get inside jennifer lawrence's butt

Yeah her butt is nice.

What's up you insular bastards

squicken

I just finished House of Cards (which was awesome, I highly recommend it) and I am looking for a new show. I think I'll check it out. Don't let me down.

I liked House of Cards, but ultimately I was a left a little cold by
how dumb everyone was compared to Frank. It just seemed nuts these people gained their positions only to be so duped by Frank.

I actually ended up enjoying Orange is the New Black more, and I had really just started watching it to see lesbian prison sex. It actually disappoints in that regard

Hannibal is really good. Unlike anything on TV. It's also the most violent and grotesque network show I have ever seen. I get the distinction, but it's so funny they can show that stuff but can't show a female butt

Not enough Attention was paid to the Mock Draft. First off thanks Futurevoid for being a great showrunner and picking up the slack during my absence. I think the board is trying to tell me something.. *cough*

Here is the final Draft.

First, all the teams that got their pick right:

St. Louis Rams - Greg Robinson (Squicken, B For Bendetta)
Atlanta Falcons - Jake Matthews (Talon)
Minnesota Vikings - Anthony Barr (Slo)
Cincinnati Bengals - Darqueze Dennard (Coldnoodle)
New England Patriots - Dominique Easley (Colasante, ActStriker, Sanjuro)

Congrats on those teams and captains who nailed their picks.

All players drafted before their inevitable position:

Houston Texans - Khalil Mack (glares at Mech)
Oakland Raiders - Teddy Bridgewater
Buffalo Bills - Eric Ebron
New York Giants - Aaron Donald
St. Louis Rams - Ha Ha Clinton Dix
Chicago Bears - Calvin Pryor
Dallas Cowboys - Kony Ealy
New York Jets - Marquise Lee
Green Bay Packers - Louis Nix III
San Diego Chargers - Timmy Jernigan
Carolina Panthers - Cyrus Kouandjio

San Francisco 49ers - Bradley Roby
Denver Broncos - Xavier Su'a Filo
Seattle Seahawks - Joel Bitonio

All of the bolded were not drafted in the first round. Louis Nix, long thought to be a first round pick, was drafted in the 3rd. Way to overdraft fellas!

Actually Denver and Seattle's picks went very soon after they were drafted in the mock despite going in the 2nd. What a whiff on Nix though Pack fans. I mean really.

All players drafted after their inevitable position:

Jacksonville Jaguars - Jadaveon Clowney (What a steal!)
Cleveland Browns - Blake Bortles
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Sammy Watkins
Detroit Lions - Mike Evans
Tennessee Titans - Justin Gilbert
Pittsburgh Steelers - Taylor Lewan
Baltimore Ravens - Zach Martin
Miami Dolphins - CJ Mosely
Arizona Cardinals - Ryan Shazier
Kansas City Chiefs - Brandin Cooks
Cleveland Browns - Kyle Fuller
New Orleans Saints - Odell Beckham Jr.

A note about Johnny Manziel - Manziel was actually drafted 22nd overall just like in our mock, but by the Cleveland Browns. Oops.

Biggest Rise on the list - Louis Nix III - 62 spots
Welcome to whiff city. Population: Packers Defense.
Biggest Fall on the list - Kyle Fuller - 12 spots

Players drafted who weren't on our mock:

Miami Dolphins - Ja'Wuan James
Kansas City Chiefs - Dee Ford
San Diego Chargers - Jason Verrett
Philadelphia Eagles - Marcus Smith
Arizona Cardinals - Deone Bucannon
Carolina Panthers - Kelvin Benjamin
:O
San Francisco 49ers - Jimmie Ward

squicken

Awesome work compiling that, DK. STL really had their board very similar to how I saw things. I didn't like HHCD that high, but figured they would. Ultimately the guys they wanted at 13 were Donald and Martin, neither of whom I figured would be there in our mock. They were actually willing to double dip on OL if Donald was gone, which is what I really wanted to do in our mock, but just never figured they would consider it.

The Rams offseason was all about what they learned in their final 3 division games, all on the road. They were dominated on offense up front by all three teams. As much as QB was and may be an issue, as we saw with PM in the SB, it doesn't matter who is back there if the OL can't hold up in any way. I still think the Donald pick was a luxury choice they couldn't afford, b/c they are still soft at RT and have injury concerns all over the OL with no proven depth

@SF
@AZ
@SEA

As far as Clowney, Fisher said flat out they would have taken him had HOU passed, so I feel totally vindicated by our mock. I said they would take him if he magically was there at 2, he would not be there, and they would ultimately take Robinson with #2. 3/3

Not enough Attention was paid to the Mock Draft. First off thanks Futurevoid for being a great showrunner and picking up the slack during my absence. I think the board is trying to tell me something.. *cough*

Here is the final Draft.

Cincinnati Bengals - Darqueze Dennard (??? Show yourself. Probably Future since their only fan Eznark was banned)

Noodle for the Bengals picks Darqueze Dennard CB

Do we have a pick for the Supahchargahs?

:D

cajunator

Banned

Here is the final Draft.

All of the bolded were not drafted in the first round. Louis Nix, long thought to be a first round pick, was drafted in the 3rd. Way to overdraft fellas!

Actually Denver and Seattle's picks went very soon after they were drafted in the mock despite going in the 2nd. What a whiff on Nix though Pack fans. I mean really.

A note about Johnny Manziel - Manziel was actually drafted 22nd overall just like in our mock, but by the Cleveland Browns. Oops.

I got close! I had drafted a reciever. Cooks was gone.

Awesome work compiling that, DK. STL really had their board very similar to how I saw things. I didn't like HHCD that high, but figured they would. Ultimately the guys they wanted at 13 were Donald and Martin, neither of whom I figured would be there in our mock. They were actually willing to double dip on OL if Donald was gone, which is what I really wanted to do in our mock, but just never figured they would consider it.

The Rams offseason was all about what they learned in their final 3 division games, all on the road. They were dominated on offense up front by all three teams. As much as QB was and may be an issue, as we saw with PM in the SB, it doesn't matter who is back there if the OL can't hold up in any way. I still think the Donald pick was a luxury choice they couldn't afford, b/c they are still soft at RT and have injury concerns all over the OL with no proven depth

@SF
@AZ
@SEA

As far as Clowney, Fisher said flat out they would have taken him had HOU passed, so I feel totally vindicated by our mock. I said they would take him if he magically was there at 2, he would not be there, and they would ultimately take Robinson with #2. 3/3

One thing I noticed when compiling that post was that there were quite a few guys who went one or two spots before or after they were actually drafted. All of the reaches were in the second half of the draft.

squicken

One thing I noticed when compiling that post was that there were quite a few guys who went one or two spots before or after they were actually drafted. All of the reaches were in the second half of the draft.

Oh for sure. Hard to fault FV pick of Donald when he went one pick later. Similar w/SEA and Bitonio when he went high in 2nd round. Noodle hitting on Dennard is pretty well done since it is so much harder later on.

Bortles, even though I am not a fan, I agree with the philosophy of making sure to get the QB you absolutely want and not get cute with "value".

Dolphins and Carolina had such awful needs that I can see why they took those guys where they did. I think Benjamin is going to be a huge bust but they had to have someone. They just were in a tough spot. Too many holes to trade up and lose picks, but they had to get a WR. I'm sure they deflated when NO got Cooks. Phins with James, even if/when he washes out at tackles, can hopefully play guard

It's hard to say "reach", but I am still perplexed by the Eagles pick, mostly. Chip earned some patience but it still seems weird

Here is the final Draft.

How you giving me no respect for the Pats pick, I helped!

squicken

This was ESPN's Insider offseason grade thing on Eagles' offseason

Analysis: Williamson and Yates gave the Eagles B-minus grades. Polian gave them an A. The gap between highest and lowest grades was large enough to invite another opinion. The GM consulted for this piece gave Philly a B-minus without knowing how anyone else had graded the Eagles. He called Jackson a cancer and predicted good things for Sproles in Chip Kelly's offense, but he also said the draft did not fall right for Philadelphia -- through no fault of the Eagles.

"They wanted [safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix] at [No. 22], but it didn't work out for them, so they took Marcus Smith, who was closer to a second-round talent and not a great scheme fit," the GM said, in reference to Clinton-Dix coming off the board at No. 21 and Philly then trading back with Cleveland to No. 26, where the Eagles took Smith.

Williamson said he'd much rather have Jackson than the Eagles' second-round choice, Matthews, at wide receiver. He predicted the offense would fall off some and didn't see where the team would be noticeably better. Polian thought the Eagles did what they had to do with Jackson, a player they'll now have to defend twice a season.

effzee

This was ESPN's Insider offseason grade thing on Eagles' offseason

Thanks for posting this.

There is no way to get around this no matter how hard Howie Roseman (Eagles GM) now hits the Philly sports radio circuit to defend the draft and cutting Desean.

Eagles wanted to move on from Desean but fucked it up monumentally when they couldn't get anything in return. Had they just waited until the draft, I bet at at least Cleveland would have inquired especially with the Gordon suspension looming. They could have waited until after the draft to cut him. Anything would have been better than what they got.

As for the draft they screwed up again when the top 6 guys they wanted around the #22 pick were all gone thanks to other teams out maneuvering them. Now Howie is saying they always wanted Smith but in those initial hours after the first round both he and Chip came out and mentioned they wanted to trade down more but couldn't so they reached for Smith.

So they screwed up twice. Took a guy they could have had in the 2nd, lost out on a potential first round guy like Dennard, and then spent 2 picks trying to replace Desean, and have 0 picks to show for letting Desean go.

squicken

Thanks for posting this.
o.

I do have some trust in Chip. He has shown to have a sharp mind on offense. But I agree with the assessment that they don't seem to be better on offense in any way, and you wonder if enough was done to improve the defense.

It's one of those things with the draft, where I think you are right; they really erred sitting still. Once their guys starting going off the board, they needed to figure out how to move up. With DJAX, idk. From the outside it's hard to know exactly how bad the problem was

QE6BLl5.gif

Eleuin

Who really saw Nix falling that far though
Think Thompson would've traded down for sure if both safeties and lbers were off the board

effzee

I do have some trust in Chip. He has shown to have a sharp mind on offense. But I agree with the assessment that they don't seem to be better on offense in any way, and you wonder if enough was done to improve the defense.

It's one of those things with the draft, where I think you are right; they really erred sitting still. Once their guys starting going off the board, they needed to figure out how to move up. With DJAX, idk. From the outside it's hard to know exactly how bad the problem was

Getting rid of DJAX isn't the problem. Not getting anything in return is failure.

MechDX

Who really saw Nix falling that far though
Think Thompson would've traded down for sure if both safeties and lbers were off the board

He was rated a high second on the Texans board. When they saw him there near the end of the 3rd they jumped up.

BigAT

If Rick Smith would have picked Mack I would have been right.

I still liked you searching out mock drafts and posting the loosest of rumors to somehow prove you were right about Mack being selected before the draft had even occurred.

I thinks MackDXs major fault was believing a team would pass over a guy like Clowney because of scheme fit.

With caused him to ruin our whole mock, and set of a chain reaction of events

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I thinks MackDXs major fault was believing a team would pass over a guy like Clowney because of scheme fit.

He should have to wear my bitch kitty avatar for 8 more months!

MechDX

can't wait till manziel gets arrested for hookers and blow.

Top Bottom