• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

Spinluck

It's a shame you Floridians Floridians only know panda express as the best Chinese food. I'm sorry.

Lol, you fools up in MA too busy hating black people to read post correctly.

I don't think Panda has the best Chinese food, I've been to Chinese buffets that taste better.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I get bored easily. Three days drives me a little stir crazy. Four days and I am bouncing off the walls.

Get a hobby. Like this guy:

asYkywf.jpg

ShaneB

Get a hobby.

Seriously.

I can admire people who love their careers and whatnot, but if people would rather work than have free time, it's time to find some hobbies.

I grew up in a small town where people worked and worked until they were too old to work well beyond when they could retire, and it fucking baffled my mind. People who no nothing other than going to work.

cajunator

Banned
*bounces

slime___dragon_quest_viii_150x150___gif_by_robbiebr-d6kk80g.gif

(am I doing it right)

How do you feel about people with tan skin!!

*bounces with

All that anime isn't going to pay itself.

Trueeeeeeeee

Seriously.

I can admire people who love their careers and whatnot, but if people would rather work than have free time, it's time to find some hobbies.

I grew up in a small town where people worked and worked until they were too old to work well beyond when they could retire, and it fucking baffled my mind. People who no nothing other than going to work.

Thats what anime is for!!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Canadians have no work ethic. Can't even be bothered to put their milk in a proper container!

Seriously, you want to have no free time and love to work? I suggest starting your own business.

Vyroxis

Banned
Seriously.

I think my problem is I left a career I loved for silly reasons, and now getting back into it sounds like more hassle than its worth with regulations changing.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
My favorite of the in betweens are the vaguely ethnic types. Are they Italian, Greek, Hispanic, Arab, Native American, Israeli, or some sort of Armenian or Turkish? Half the fun is trying to figure it out!

There's no mystery with me though.....I'm practically bioluminescent....

Vyroxis

Banned
My favorite of the in betweens are the vaguely ethnic types. Are they Italian, Greek, Hispanic, Arab, Native American, Israeli, or some sort of Armenian or Turkish? Half the fun is trying to figure it out!

There's no mystery with me though.....I'm practically bioluminescent....

Native Americans are usually pretty easy, their speech patterns give them away. Same with a lot of hispanics.

Want to have some real fun? Try picking apart eastern Europeans by accent alone.

cajunator

Banned
I think my problem is I left a career I loved for silly reasons, and now getting back into it sounds like more hassle than its worth with regulations changing.

My career wouldnt satisfy everyone but I get challenged and I kinda like the pressure. I also honestly dont mind working 12 hour shifts for a week straight. Just as long as I have some relax time in between. Its such a unique work environment. At night in my assigned area Im the one running the show. I keep the trucks on the road. I make sure everything gets delivered. I solve the issues that pop up. I am dispatch god!
*bounces

Vyroxis

Banned
My career wouldnt satisfy everyone but I get challenged and I kinda like the pressure. I also honestly dont mind working 12 hour shifts for a week straight. Just as long as I have some relax time in between. Its such a unique work environment. At night in my assigned area Im the one running the show. I keep the trucks on the road. I make sure everything gets delivered. I solve the issues that pop up. I am dispatch god!
*bounces

I loved being a driver. 10 speed Pete with 20 tons in the box, making a long run? I was a happy man. Just me, the road, and other drivers. I could have done it for 40 more years. My only rules where where I had to go and the time I had to get there. That's the shit I miss. But all the stupid regulation changes about time spent driving and log books coming up keep me away from going full time again. But given the right offer, I would get back into the cab in a heartbeat. But anything less than .50 a mile isn't worth it to me.

cajunator

Banned
I loved being a driver. 10 speed Pete with 20 tons in the box, making a long run? I was a happy man. Just me, the road, and other drivers. I could have done it for 40 more years. My only rules where where I had to go and the time I had to get there. That's the shit I miss. But all the stupid regulation changes about time spent driving and log books coming up keep me away from going full time again. But given the right offer, I would get back into the cab in a heartbeat. But anything less than .50 a mile isn't worth it to me.

I dunno exactly how much our drivers make but its more than I make.
we have a crude oil division and they rack up the cash too.
i dispatch manage gasoline though.
I know what you mean about regulations. The govt mandates a 30 minute break and the drivers haaaaaate it. Also every minute has to be logged by qualcomm and some other stuff. The amount of stuff we have to know even as dispatchers can seem daunting but eventually most people get the hang of it. Or else they run out the door crying.

Vyroxis

Banned
People that run tankers tend to make more, I can understand why, tankers sucks ass, especially on slick roads. One bad move and you are hosed.

But the regulations, holy christ. If I need to run 16 hours to make my delivery, fuck the rules I will cook my logs to hell to do it. Don't get me started on various state regulations about emissions.

cajunator

Banned
People that run tankers tend to make more, I can understand why, tankers sucks ass, especially on slick roads. One bad move and you are hosed.

But the regulations, holy christ. If I need to run 16 hours to make my delivery, fuck the rules I will cook my logs to hell to do it. Don't get me started on various state regulations about emissions.

We limit to 14 hours max. Try to keep it to 12 hours but sometimes its unrealistic. I try to get drivers to preload for am if theyre out too long. Our company is pretty anal about safety but there are always gray areas. If a driver tells me they are tired I bring them in. Most actually dont abuse that option.

Vyroxis

Banned
When I drove 14 hours was standard, 16 if you pushed it. But with how things are going, if you can't make delivery is 12 you lose money. Which just isn't possible some days, if things fall wrong. Its why I only haul short runs in an emergency.

cajunator

Banned
When I drove 14 hours was standard, 16 if you pushed it. But with how things are going, if you can't make delivery is 12 you lose money. Which just isn't possible some days, if things fall wrong. Its why I only haul short runs in an emergency.

Yeah. The margin of profit is really small. Fuel allocation is a bitch every single night. Well laid dispatch plans go out the window.

Vyroxis

Banned
Yeah. The margin of profit is really small. Fuel allocation is a bitch every single night. Well laid dispatch plans go out the window.

Well laid dispatch plans go out the window like battle plans. Once shit hits the fan, everything is guess work.

I bought a tablet tonight. How do I make it go to the mobile version of this tie? I tried m.neogaf.com but every link takes me to the full version.

cajunator

Banned
Well laid dispatch plans go out the window like battle plans. Once shit hits the fan, everything is guess work.

Tonight is a great example. Some stores were calling me saying like "we are down to 1400 gallons in the tank. Wheres the load?"
I was thinkng to myself "oh you still have fuel. Youre the lucky ones :D"

Greg

supposed to be a good meteor shower 2-4 AM EST (5 minutes from now) if any of you people are interested - saw estimates of 100 to 1000 an hour

Greg

Where do I look?
NASA says North America is in the best position to get a glimpse because the peak of the shower will appear during our nighttime, and the debris will "radiate" from a position favorable for viewing.

"We expect these meteors to radiate from a point in Camelopardalis, also known as 'the giraffe,' a faint constellation near the North Star,"

Top Bottom