• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrayfield

Only a bit?

I just remember him fight with Johnson, or getting his ass kicked. And that he was late draft pick or or undrafted and fought his way into the starting lineup. Not the fastest or strongest, but made up for it with feistiness. I can live with that. Sometimes you have to be a dick on the field.

I'm secretly hoping Jamar Taylor turns into a quality starter. He was a second round pick last season but injuries kept him off of the field, so maybe this will be his year to shine.

I was just dreaming of having Revis on the Dolphins. Let's face it, the Pats aren't gonna have him for more than 1-2 years at a good price for what he's offering. That would've been feasible for us plus no state income tax and such.

exarkun

There is no way the Texans draft Bortles. Ughhhhh he looked very pedestrian against some OK defenses in college. He could have a perfect pro-day and I'd still be skeptical.

Im currently arguing with a friend. Who would be drafted first: Bortles or Manziel? I'm going with Manziel because Im assuming the Texans don't draft a QB first and instead go with either Mack or Clowney. Hes adamant either we are taking Bortles or the the jags are. But I think either the Jags or the Browns take Manziel. Sound off, nfl-gaf (if you don't mind).

Draxal

There is no way the Texans draft Bortles. Ughhhhh he looked very pedestrian against some OK defenses in college. He could have a perfect pro-day and I'd still be skeptical.

Im currently arguing with a friend. Who would be drafted first: Bortles or Manziel? I'm going with Manziel because Im assuming the Texans don't draft a QB first and instead go with either Mack or Clowney. Hes adamant either we are taking Bortles or the the jags are. But I think either the Jags or the Browns take Manziel. Sound off, nfl-gaf (if you don't mind).

I think Manziel is going to the Jags. I mean we had Ponder to the Vikings, and Gabbert to the Jags, so it only takes one team to fall in love with a qb, and the Jags really do need some excitement for that team.

What's you guys' opinion on drafting to fill a need versus BPA?

Need for sure. If my team has no safeties and a great OL, I am drafting safety early. You have to be reasonable about it though, if a guy that I give a 5 star grade is available at my pick and he doesnt fill a need, and the best guy that does fill a need is rated considerably less then I try and trade down of I take the higher rated guy. Teams pretend to draft BPA always, and yet you never see teams with good QBs draft QBs in the first round, I am sure at some point in time a team with a good QB has had a QB fall to their spot in the draft.

Fox318

More competition committee changes being reported:

okP8X.jpg

squicken

I think Manziel is going to the Jags. I mean we had Ponder to the Vikings, and Gabbert to the Jags, so it only takes one team to fall in love with a qb, and the Jags really do need some excitement for that team.

The Jags really haven't done that, though. Took a left tackle last year, avoided Tebow. They seem to want to build a team that wins and let that attract a buzz.

There is no way the Texans draft Bortles. Ughhhhh he looked very pedestrian against some OK defenses in college. He could have a perfect pro-day and I'd still be skeptical.).

The post-season/pre-draft process was always going to favor Bortles and Carr. They just look like QBs. Their in-game performance falls further into memory and it becomes all about projection.

exarkun

The Jags really haven't done that, though. Took a left tackle last year, avoided Tebow. They seem to want to build a team that wins and let that attract a buzz.

The post-season/pre-draft process was always going to favor Bortles and Carr. They just look like QBs. Their in-game performance falls further into memory and it becomes all about projection.

But man, Bortles looked like asshole against SMU and UH. I mean, its SMU and UH. Carr I can understand, but Bortles? He had legitimate issues with reading defenses. And thats not something you can teach someone within a year or two.

Draxal

Manzeil's only an infinitesmal better player than Tebow; if he wasn't such a gigantic douche more fans wouldn't be upset drafting him.

squicken

But man, Bortles looked like asshole against SMU and UH. I mean, its SMU and UH. Carr I can understand, but Bortles? He had legitimate issues with reading defenses. And thats not something you can teach someone within a year or two.

Dude you are preaching to the choir. He played in a run first offense and he layed some eggs vs some bad teams. He had some great moments, but mostly he didn't look good vs good teams

http://thebiglead.com/2014/03/14/wh...-nfl-draft-boards-will-it-be-because-of-this/

KingGondo

Banned
Good point.

Counterpoint: he's big and white. Looks like top 5 material to me.

Talamius

Cameras on all boundary lines and getting rid of arbitrary rules on reviewing plays should have been done a while ago. The coach should be able to challenge everything on the field except scoring plays (which are reviewed anyway).

The only bad changes in the list are the kickoff at the 40 rule (why not just get rid of them at that point excluding onsides?) and the PI after 1 yard rule (LOL). Other than those two, that list is surprisingly decent.

Tamanon

Banned
I honestly wouldn't be horribly disappointed if the Jags picked up Manziel. I feel he'll be a better pro than Tebow and I just don't trust any of the QBs in this draft. I feel there's at least a potential upside to Manziel, plus we don't have any receivers that can go deep anyways.

I still think "Johnny Football" is overrated, but he might be alright.

Wes

venison crêpe
I've come to the conclusion that Bortles is going to be elite because he reminds me of Pete Sampras. Similiar shape of head. Already balding at a young age. Partner is way more attractive than him. There's too many similarities.

squicken

Manzeil's only an infinitesmal better player than Tebow; if he wasn't such a gigantic douche more fans wouldn't be upset drafting him.

Tebow was a fantastic college QB. Is that how you mean that? Slightly better college player? Slightly better pro prospect? Slightly better thrower? Bailed out by Mike Evans?

Draxal

Tebow was a fantastic college QB. Is that how you mean that? Slightly better college player? Slightly better pro prospect? Slightly better thrower? Bailed out by Mike Evans?

He's a better pro prospect by far, I'll admit that he had an army of stud linemen and a great WR in Evans. However, Tebow's Florida's were loaded as well and had a great d, A&M didn't have that D.

He's a reach at four, but so was Ponder and Gabbert.

Manzeil also play great against premium teams.

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran 12m
LaFell on why NE: "Because I had a chance to play with a HOF quarterback. One day Cam will be there probably but he’s not there now."

Total overreaction and massive firestorm in Charlotte in 3...2...1...

squicken

He's a reach at four, but so was Ponder and Gabbert.

Gotcha. I agree with that, mostly. GM for the Rockets is all about being patient. Don't give out bad contracts. Don't force a trade or draft pick. Not sure if that translates to football, but maybe CLE is best served by waiting and not forcing the QB

Tamanon

Banned

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Chip-talked-to-DeSean-told-him-not-to-worry.html

Updating: I've now heard from a more "official" DeSean Jackson source. Source says contrary to what I was told earlier, and what Ike Reese reported on 94WIP, DeSean HAS NOT talked to Chip Kelly about trade speculation. Says DeSean has tried to, but Chip has been too busy with free agency, etc.

LOL

squicken

I mean two seconds after Philly lost its playoff game, DJAX was whining about making $10m/yr. Not many coaches would really want that kind of player around unless he's got HoF talent

Tony Pauline @TonyPauline
I'm told 3/4's through Blake Bortles workout Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien let it be known "I've seen all I need to see"..

Jersey time, mech

Bowser

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 44m
Updating Antoine Cason situation: Was scheduled to visit CAR today. Was canceled when Cason changed agents.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 42m
Drew Rosenhaus now representing Cason. Sounds like there's mutual interest, but visit to CAR hasn't been rescheduled yet, per source.

wPQoj.gif

squicken

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
Cleveland Browns met with Blake Bortles/QB/Central Florida this morning but did not stay for pro-day...private workout has been set up..

“I was very impressed,” O’Brien said. “He made every throw I wanted to see, and he showed good footwork.”

O’Brien and Smith met with Bortles on Tuesday night.

“I like what he did,” Smith said. “I was very impressed with him.”

Narag

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran 12m
LaFell on why NE: "Because I had a chance to play with a HOF quarterback. One day Cam will be there probably but he’s not there now."

Total overreaction and massive firestorm in Charlotte in 3...2...1...

Still wonder if the front office was forthright with free agents about Cam's surgery.

Fuck...I need to go spend two hours somewhere observing people for an anthropology paper....anyone wanna come to the mall and chill with me for two hours? First beer on me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom