• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colasante

So the QB roulette has produced Whitehurst to Titans, Clemens to Chargers, FitzMagic to Texans, Vick to Jets, Schaub to Raiders, McCown to Bucs, Henne to Jaguars, Cassell to Vikings, Campbell to Bengals, and Weeden to Cowboys. After all of that, I think the Texans and Jets were the only teams to appreciably upgrade their position.

MRSA

Banned
Interesting tidbit. The Raiders can cut any of their 10 FA signings and not owe them any money against the cap.

JSaqC5H.gif

Interesting tidbit. The Raiders can cut any of their 10 FA signings and not owe them any money against the cap.

Yeah, most of the vets add depth and create an opportunity to allow the younger players to compete for their spots as oppose to assuming they have a starting role this next season.

effzee

I never said he was overpaid. He was (is) a big part of the offense, but there's enough talent on that side of the ball that you can get by without him. He probably doesn't put up the numbers he did last year if Maclin doesn't go down. There's lots of guys that defenses have to account for. He's not some transcendent talent, not even an elite WR. He's an average WR1, and ideally would be a great WR2. Give him a big contract, fine, but I wouldn't want him anchoring my WR corps. He's not a guy you just give away, but if you can free up cash, grab a 2nd rounder in one of the deepest draft classes in a long time, and improve your team in other areas, go for it. The Eagles weren't good enough last year to be complacent.

How does he not put up the #s he put up if Maclin is there? If anything that frees him up more since the D would have to actually pay attention to WR2. Cooper basically got his #s since DJAX was always drawing all the attention in the WR Corps. Having Maclin there would only free him up more. That's the threat I want to see on the field this year.

Freeing up cash is also not necessary. Eagles are in great cap shape and didn't spend much at all in FA. To make matters worse they seem to be indicating they would be willing to part with him for a 3rd round pick which just blows me away.

As for you last sentence well duh they weren't good enough to be complacent. But the area they weren't good enough in, the D, is still the biggest issue. In particular the LBs and secondary. And outside of signing a terribly ranked S in Jenkins they have nothing to improve the D. Signed a bunch of special team aces which is great but we are severely lacking (STILL) at safety, stand out corner, and LBs which fit the 3-4. Trading DJAX only creates a bigger whole where there is none right now.

The Eagles should be in "go for it now" mode. The oline is healthy but 2 of its anchors are above 30 and they won't be around for another 4-5 years to remain elite. They are loaded with offensive weapons and just added Sproles. Letting DJAX go potentially ruins the offense and still solves nothing on the defensive side.

If this trade was rumored after they had picked up Byrd and or Ward then I'd say well at least the defense improved a bit to compensate for the lack of explosiveness on offense.

Konka

Banned
How does he not put up the #s he put up if Maclin is there? If anything that frees him up more since the D would have to actually pay attention to WR2. Cooper basically got his #s since DJAX was always drawing all the attention in the WR Corps. Having Maclin there would only free him up more. That's the threat I want to see on the field this year.

Freeing up cash is also not necessary. Eagles are in great cap shape and didn't spend much at all in FA. To make matters worse they seem to be indicating they would be willing to part with him for a 3rd round pick which just blows me away.

As for you last sentence well duh they weren't good enough to be complacent. But the area they weren't good enough in, the D, is still the biggest issue. In particular the LBs and secondary. And outside of signing a terribly ranked S in Jenkins they have nothing to improve the D. Signed a bunch of special team aces which is great but we are severely lacking (STILL) at safety, stand out corner, and LBs which fit the 3-4. Trading DJAX only creates a bigger whole where there is none right now.

The Eagles should be in "go for it now" mode. The oline is healthy but 2 of its anchors are above 30 and they won't be around for another 4-5 years to remain elite. They are loaded with offensive weapons and just added Sproles. Letting DJAX go potentially ruins the offense and still solves nothing on the defensive side.

If this trade was rumored after they had picked up Byrd and or Ward then I'd say well at least the defense improved a bit to compensate for the lack of explosiveness on offense.

I like to think that Jackson and Chip are just punking all the reporters trying to make something of it.

Roflobear

I can't believe the Jets just signed Vick. What's about to happen to Geno Smith then? I really wanted to see how he'd develop following his rookie year but now it seems like we're gonna stunt the growth of a young QB for the sake of an injury-prone, aging vet

I'm ok with the Sanchez release but I can't help but feel a little anxious about the Vick signing

Narag

I can't believe the Jets just signed Vick. What's about to happen to Geno Smith then? I really wanted to see how he'd develop following his rookie year but now it seems like we're gonna stunt the growth of a young QB for the sake of an injury-prone, aging vet

I'm ok with the Sanchez release but I can't help but feel a little anxious about the Vick signing

Well if Geno doesn't suck, he'll start. If he does, you don't want him starting anyhow.

effzee

I'm just not a Vick fan at all, and Pryor has soured me on mobile QBs in general. Vick hasn't been good in his last 20 or so games last I checked.

If you aren't a fan fair enough but lets not compare Pryor to Vick. They only thing they have in common is skin color. Pryor looked like a lost child out on the field whereas when healthy Vick was leading the #2 offense in the league.

Again he wasn't benched cause he was playing poorly but because he was hurt and Foles blew up. No doubt in anyone's mind that if Foles stunk it up, Vick would have been right back in and the Eagles would have finished just as well granted he remained healthy.

Vick's last 20 games were no worse than Shaub's last 20. The whole Eagles team was a clusterfuck under Reid the final 2 seasons with the dream team acquisitions, Reid refusing to run the ball, passing 50 times a game, and 4 out of the 5 starters on the OLINE out for the season. Once Chip took over and corrected the attack and the OLINE was healthy, Vick and the offense was electric again.

Fucking sucks he will be with the Jets now. I don't get the Jets plan either. Does he start? Open competition?

Wish the Eagles retained him. We have no back up and if Foles stinks the bed or gets hurt we have to rely on Matt Barkely. Again Eagles should be thinking about going for it now and having a veteran QB as your back up is crucial. Foles already suffered a major concussion and shows the habit of holding on forever.

Konka

Banned
If you aren't a fan fair enough but lets not compare Pryor to Vick. They only thing they have in common is skin color. Pryor looked like a lost child out on the field whereas when healthy Vick was leading the #2 offense in the league.

Again he wasn't benched cause he was playing poorly but because he was hurt and Foles blew up. No doubt in anyone's mind that if Foles stunk it up, Vick would have been right back in and the Eagles would have finished just as well granted he remained healthy.

Vick's last 20 games were no worse than Shaub's last 20. The whole Eagles team was a clusterfuck under Reid the final 2 seasons with the dream team acquisitions, Reid refusing to run the ball, passing 50 times a game, and 4 out of the 5 starters on the OLINE out for the season. Once Chip took over and corrected the attack and the OLINE was healthy, Vick and the offense was electric again.

Fucking sucks he will be with the Jets now. I don't get the Jets plan either. Does he start? Open competition?

Wish the Eagles retained him. We have no back up and if Foles stinks the bed or gets hurt we have to rely on Matt Barkely. Again Eagles should be thinking about going for it now and having a veteran QB as your back up is crucial. Foles already suffered a major concussion and shows the habit of holding on forever.

Vick was a turnover machine last year.

Colasante

The talk of closing Super Bowl windows is veering into absurdist territory when Eagles fans believe their team is in "win now" mode with a 25 year old quarterback still on his rookie deal.

Roflobear

Well if Geno doesn't suck, he'll start. If he does, you don't want him starting anyhow.

That's a fair point but at this point I've come to accept mediocrity and defeat from the Jets. If Geno starts to suck, I'd rather we stick with him and help him grow at the cost of losing a few games. I think one of the reasons for Sanchez's downfall was how he was shuffled between different coordinators and coaches and so he wasn't given proper, consistent care.

Between Sanchez and Tebow it just seems the Jets have a really bad track record with young QBs and I don't want Geno to fall victim to that just yet.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Damn the Jets finally cut Sanchez. Sad to see folks act like he had never had any good times with the Jets, especially from Jets fans.

That said its about time.

MechDX

Damn the Jets finally cut Sanchez. Sad to see folks act like he had never had any good times with the Jets, especially from Jets fans.

That said its about time.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 54s
Sanchez: New England - Pats would move Mallett if they get the right value. Belichick loves winning w/ Jets' guys. Brady 37 this year

Interesting thought

squicken

If the Patriots really think Sanchez is the successor to Brady then cutting Sanchez is probably the best move the Jets have made in the last 5 years.

Well he might be a better backup than Mallett. The Pats shopping him so hard makes you wonder how much he figures into their long term plans

MechDX

If the Patriots really think Sanchez is the successor to Brady then cutting Sanchez is probably the best move the Jets have made in the last 5 years.

jnc

I don't think he was implying that though. Getting a trade value for Mallet (if there is one) and signing Sanchez as a back up

Well he might be a better backup than Mallett. The Pats shopping him so hard makes you wonder how much he figures into their long term plans

I think that may have to do more with the fact that they'd like to get a pick out of him before he's a free agent and they have to sign him to a new contract.

The offense without DJax plus a 3rd or 2nd round safety/LB might be a better team than keeping him. Ideally you wouldn't want financials to come into the decision, but I don't think you're creating a hole that can't be reasonable filled if you let him go. I don't think he's a high volume guy like he was last year, 80+ catches seem to be a result of the system and not the type of player he is. He's a great big play threat, but he also can disappear from games. Keep in mind, I'm a Dallas fan and didn't see too much of him last year, but unless he turned into a completely different player last year I think you'll be fine without him. And he's not Chip's guy, so if he wants to move on without him it's probably the right move for the team. If Chip signs off on getting rid of his top WR from last year, I'd have faith he's got some ideas about how to fill the void.

My wife grew up in New York so she's got quite a few friends who are Jets fans (she's a Giants fan). Her FB lit up when the Jets signed Vick. Quite a few lifelongs abandoning the Jets because they signed the "dogkiller."

Roflobear

My friend's theory is that the Jets signed Vick to lure DeSean Jackson over as well. Do you think that's plausible at all? If this is true all of a sudden I'm very ok with the Vick signing lol

ShaneB

Watching NFL Network, and I they are having Bridgewater on. I just don't see that "it" factor in him when he talks.

Yeah, I thought the same when watching videos of him on NFL AM, just lacked any sort of excitement it seemed, but I guess most of these guys are just tired of it all and want to be with their teams and get to work.

Rorschach

It factor by the way he talks? Come on, man. Luck sounds like a nerd and looks like a caveman. Eli Manning is a total goober. Won 2 Superbowls.

JABEE

Just played a little bit past the point when you get the Neon powers in inFamous. Let me just tell you that the damn game is awesome. And it is the best looking console game I have ever played. Playing inFamous makes me excited to play whatever the Hell SSM and Naughty Dog are making for the PS4.

FV, you were 100% right. As someone who loved the first inFamous, and lost interest in the second one, this game is fire. The combat feels better and the story is a lot better. It's sometimes kind of goofy and unbelievable, but the voice acting and most of the performances seem on par with a big budget action film. Really, really good game so far.

Rorschach

Shoob avatar doesn't even have hobo beard!
Dead serious.

If the Texans signed Sanchez they would be the favorites to with the super bowl.
Let's say that Sanchez is enough for the Texans to win a SB. As laughable as that statement is, we'll ignore that fact. Would people make them the favorites to win upon that signing? Would they start showing up on the top of the power rankings? Because of Mark Sanchez? Dead serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom