• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rorschach

I agree, I actually like what he's done in free agency besides the Schaub trade. Woodley, Smith, Tuck, Howard, Jones, and Penn were all solid pickups, with Donald Penn being the possible exception if he can't stay in shape. I'm definitely rooting for the Raiders to succeed and I've been defending McKenzie for the past two years, but I fail to see what his vision is at the quarterback position. I just don't think Schaub is even an average starter at this point, his salary is too high, and giving up a draft pick for him in one of the deepest drafts in years seems foolish to me.

The idea that he needed to trade a pick for Schaub because otherwise Schaub would have gone to Cleveland is silly. Why is he in a bidding war for a quarterback who was benched twice last season anyway?

It wasn't about a bidding war. THere was no bidding. And it wouldn't have been about who pays him more between Cle/Oak. He fits with Cle/Shanahan and they already have a good WR for him to throw to.
I totally get what you're saying and you're definitely not wrong, but I just don't think that's the mentality a GM should have. Every pick should be coveted, because every pick has the potential to become a blue chip player, even in the 6th round. Trading a 6th round pick for Matt Schaub looks to me to be an acceptance of mediocrity. For a team without a young core to develop besides Sio Moore and DJ Hayden, draft picks are even more valuable. I may very well be proven wrong if Schaub recaptures his Pro Bowl MVP form and leads the Raiders to a 6-10 record, but I'd rather have Matt McGloin and a 6th round pick, or Mike Vick and a 6th round pick, than Matt Schaub and his $10 million salary.
I'm not blind. I'll quote myself in the other thread:

These moves look like hot seat moves. Team got much older and it looks like they're not going to build over time. I get the feeling that the plan was to build through the draft (which would take a long time) like the Packers do, but Davis got antsy and now it's a mad dash to create a middling "win now" team from the ashes of a garbage team.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ummmm.....he is already in his black n silver garb mugging people.

Lets be honest... with his noodle arm, he should have failed it.

Joe Webb to CAR, he says he'll be the backup QB

edcbcd42b14011e3b4f51212a90bc89b_8.jpg

Cam will teach Joe Webb how to be a real QB.

effzee

It's a pretty awesome WR class, and the Eagles would be an ideal situation for a rookie WR to step into. The offense will be just fine without him.

No the offense won't be just fine without him.

This is absurd. I never get the fascination fans have with money being paid to players or how they don't deserve it. There is a reason he is getting paid what he is. Defenses have to account for him. They use him in all sorts of ways. He is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Can return punts too. Ask Wellington. Chip's offense worked cause of him not in spite of him. He is getting fair market value and if he can get more then great for him!

No rookie is guaranteed to come in and produce as much or more. We have seen colossal busts of "sure things" at all positions and WRs seem to take the longest to develop. What guarantee do the Eagles have that this supposed "deep WR class" will net them the WR who won't be a complete bust (cause surely some of these guys def will be).

Where as with Desean they have a sure thing. He is 27 not 33. He is a known talent you can game plan around.

I really really hope this doesn't happen.

we would take djax for one of our 3rd round picks if he's willing to take a massive paycut. so he will not be a niner

Why in the world would he or any WR with his production take a pay cut?

Inconsistent, inaccurate, can't read a d, losing his legs, 6 ft and injury prone? I think I'll take Schoob. Would have still preferred Fitzpatrick tho. But eh.

All those things you listed can be applied to Schoob himself except for the injuries. And if that was the only deciding factor than it makes sense. But paying more for Schoob and giving up a draft pick?

Injury prone is the only red flag about him. You aren't building a franchise around him but when comparing two veteran guys who at max you want to use for a year or two, Vick is the better QB.

Look up the Eagles offense under Vick. It was always a top 5 offense. Shaub always seemed to do less with more. Shaub was benched and is completely mentally broken. Vick was only benched because he was hurt and Foles played out of this world, not because of production problems with Vick. Fans are quick to overlook that Foles played the softest part of the schedule where all the stars lined up for the Eagles to win (AROD injured, Det in a blizzard, etc etc) whereas Vick played during the toughest stretch with games against KC, Denver, and SD.

All those things you listed can be applied to Schoob himself except for the injuries. And if that was the only deciding factor than it makes sense. But paying more for Schoob and giving up a draft pick?

Injury prone is the only red flag about him. You aren't building a franchise around him but when comparing two veteran guys who at max you want to use for a year or two, Vick is the better QB.

Look up the Eagles offense under Vick. It was always a top 5 offense. Shaub always seemed to do less with more. Shaub was benched and is completely mentally broken. Vick was only benched because he was hurt and Foles played out of this world, not because of production problems with Vick. Fans are quick to overlook that Foles played the softest part of the schedule where all the stars lined up for the Eagles to win (AROD injured, Det in a blizzard, etc etc) whereas Vick played during the toughest stretch with games against KC, Denver, and SD.

I'm just not a Vick fan at all, and Pryor has soured me on mobile QBs in general. Vick hasn't been good in his last 20 or so games last I checked.

chadskin

Wow, they work fast. Vick signs with the Jets

Good move.

"We are excited to acquire Michael Vick," said offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who was Vick's OC for four seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles. "He's a great talent who's won many games, including playoff games, in this league. He has the respect of both his teammates and opponents. He's here in a role where he’s going to compete and push Geno Smith to become the very best that he can be. Michael will be able to go in and play at a high level and a winning level if called upon."

"Physically I'm 100 percent. When I took my physical, the trainers told me I was one of the healthiest players to come through here in some time," Vick joked with senior reporter Eric Allen. "My role is going to be to get in and win football games whenever my number's called, and be the best I can be and help all the quarterbacks become the best they can be."

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...ael-Vick/db1fe0d3-f8c7-4af7-8610-2786bd04f9c9

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'll say one thing, signing Fitz kept us away from butt fumble... so I'm thankful for that.

The chances the Panthers ever made a move for Desean Jackson were infinitesimally small.

It's financially unreasonable and it goes against every fiber of Dave Gettleman's being to make a splash like that. Plus he doesn't fit what we currently play here. Cam + DeSean in Chud's system would be incredible. Cam + DeSean in Shula's offense from 1972? Less so.

Now the chances of Cam playing with Desean in the future? Never say never.

No guarantee Cam re-ups with the Panthers. I don't know why he wouldn't re-up with the defending Super Bowl Champions tho.

Restore the Roar 2014

Why in the world would he or any WR with his production take a pay cut?

which is why i said it won't happen. djax obviously wont take a paycut but we can't afford his $10 mil salary or whatever it is.... nor would we want to at that price. i'd rather use that money to extend crabtree who is a much better receiver

squicken

Paul Gutierrez ‏@PGutierrezESPN
"We weren't going to let last season deter us..he was our No. 1 target from Day 1." - #Raiders OC Greg Olson, on new QB #MattSchaub

FYI this is why Jay Cutler makes $18m/yr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom