• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob Grotz for the Pottstown Mercury reported on Thursday the Eagles did in fact attempt to swing a deal for the former Duck.

"Buried in the preoccupation with pass catchers is that the Eagles, according to a respected NFL source, made an offer almost two months ago for pass rusher Dion Jordan, who played spectacularly for Kelly at Oregon but hardly at all last season with the Miami Dolphins.
The details are unimportant. The Eagles are said to have included a second-round pick and linebacker-defensive end Brandon Graham. For now Jordan is still part of the Dolphins, who say they’re going to find a way to get him more snaps next season."

Stupid dolphins, please give us Jordan.

I really think Graham could do well for you guys. He just needs to get out of the 3-4, and a 2nd would have helped you guys also. This seems like a very fair offer, surprised the Fins didnt go for it.

I think it's because Philbin and Co know it's now or never for them and extra picks for rookies they might not even coach next year is pointless.

squicken

I
So if you're going to be closing more often than coming back, and since closing is arguably harder than leading a dramatic comeback, I'd want the guy who's exceptional at that over the guy who's exceptional at coming back. Now, the two aren't mutually exclusive at all; a guy can do both very well. And I'm not saying the answer to the question I'd be asking isn't Manziel. I guess it's just a difference in approach to building a team.

Really thoughtful response, and it's appreciated. I can totally get on board with people who want Teddy. He's a very steady-execute the system-QB. None of the other QBs would I want in the first round, though maybe Bortles if his ceiling is as high as some say. Manziel was in TB recently, along with Teddy and Garappollo.

squicken

He'll be over 30. Doubt he will be the one who'd want to void the deal. Depends on the team's out imo

----

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff
I've been told Johnny Football had the highest wonderlic test of all the top QB's in this years draft

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff
Talked to multiple assistant coaches who have had Johnny on private team visits. All raved about his intelligence.

bionic77

Guys look at the date of the alleged incident.

This is just the greatest Aprils fools joke of all time. She will spring the joke just as the Judge is sentencing Kaep to 20 years in jail.

dionysus

Yaldog
Guy Gavriel Kay would probably be the first mention. I love his writing style.

More recently I think Sanderson does a great job with magic systems, so there's a bit of a defined system in place, with Bonds used to contain those who know how to wield it.

As I progress to the next book I'm finding more of the grit and darkness from writers like Abercrombie are seeping in as influences, but you won't get a ton of that in this book (though there are several battle scenes that hopefully evoke his sense of 'being there')

Bought. Though I must admit I haven't finished Tigana and got sick of Abercrombie 1.5 books into his trilogy. I am definitely a huge Sanderson fanboy though.

bionic77

good enough to be the best team for a decade biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch!

;)
Which decade are we talking about and how the hell do you define best?

I would say that the Steelers are the best team of the LAST decade because we won 2 legitimate championships and made it to a 3rd Super Bowl. We also made it to two other AFC Championships but the NFL burned the results of those games along with the Spygate tapes so no one is really sure of what happened.

If you define success as being the team who cheated the most (and was caught doing it) then yes the Pats are the most successful. If you define success as having the smallest penis (Tammy says you can't get smaller than zero and I am pretty sure he is right) then yes your qb is also very successful. If you define success as executing people and going to jail for the rest of your life, then yes your team is pretty damn successful.

But defining the success the way normal people do I don't think the Pats were that successful outside of the regular season or when playing the AFC East.

I would say that the Steelers are the best team of the LAST decade because we won 2 legitimate championships and made it to a 3rd Super Bowl. We also made it to two other AFC Championships but the NFL burned the results of those games along with the Spygate tapes so no one is really sure of what happened.

If you define success as being the team who cheated the most (and was caught doing it) then yes the Pats are the most successful. If you define success as having the smallest penis (Tammy says you can't get smaller than zero and I am pretty sure he is right) then yes your qb is also very successful. If you define success as executing people and going to jail for the rest of your life, then yes your team is pretty damn successful.

But defining the success the way normal people do I don't think the Pats were that successful outside of the regular season or when playing the AFC East.

95.gif

Vic Tafur on why the Raiders won't draft JFF.

#Raiders had Johnny Manziel in for visit at start of week & here's why I'm pretty sure they won’t pick him at #5:

First off, none of the quarterbacks in this year’s draft are Top 10 picks and general manager Reggie McKenzie has said he strictly goes by the best player available on the Raiders’ draft board. There are at least five walk-in-the-building impact players available (Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Robinson and Matthews) and the Raiders can get one of those if they don’t trade down.
Manziel is a one-read quarterback who made a lot of plays outside the pocket in college. As NFL Films producer Greg Cosell pointed out, he doesn’t anticipate receivers getting open but sees them and then throws it. He missed a lot of open receivers at Texas A&M; and he left the pocket when he didn’t really have to.
Sound familiar? Terrelle Pryor has a lot of those qualities, and he would make the Raiders coaches pull their hair out last season when he would ignore something they had game-planned for and improvise.
I am not saying Manizel is Pryor, but Raiders people have confirmed to me that comparison has been part of the process in evaluating Manziel. Is he coachable? Can he stay in the pocket and make plays with his arm? Does he want to?
Manziel’s worst games last year came when LSU and Missouri controlled their rush and kept him in the pocket.
McKenzie has called Manziel “a playmaker” and trust me, Dennis Allen and Greg Olson have really enjoyed watching some of Manziel’s thrilling game tape … but will it translate to the NFL? (And we’re not even talking about how his body holds up to the punishment. Or that Oakland thinks Matt Schaub can be its quarterback for the next 2-3 years.) I just can’t see the Raiders rolling the dice on Manziel at No. 5 with so many great players available.

Bro you are the Steelers now.

Championship team built on a great defense and players who don't take no for an answer on or off the field.

They're more like Raiders. Outlaw Individuals who bend the rules and play bruiser football to win Championships.
Be Ready for the long-suffering years of disappointment...

Wes

venison crêpe
Per Mike Garafolo:

Now here's another wrinkle: Mack gets $8 million FULLY guaranteed in Year 3 if he doesn't void after 2 years. So that's up to $26m in gtd $.

squicken

Vic Tafur on why the Raiders won't draft JFF.

Absolutely. If you are from the Greg Cosell/Phil Simms/Jaws mindset on QBs then he's an awful choice. Spread QBs in college are tough to project to the NFL. It really is asking a QB to do things he never did in school. Under center, protection calls, audibles, and reading the whole field. The first season is going to take a lot of adapting to the player

The thing I have mentioned that does worry me is the anticipation throws. His arm isn't good enough to "see it/throw it". I'm not sure if that is an innate trait of something that can be learned. The Pryor thing is kind of funny. Almost reads like he traumatized the staff haha

Absolutely. If you are from the Greg Cosell/Phil Simms/Jaws mindset on QBs then he's an awful choice. Spread QBs in college are tough to project to the NFL. It really is asking a QB to do things he never did in school. Under center, protection calls, audibles, and reading the whole field. The first season is going to take a lot of adapting to the player

The thing I have mentioned that does worry me is the anticipation throws. His arm isn't good enough to "see it/throw it". I'm not sure if that is an innate trait of something that can be learned. The Pryor thing is kind of funny. Almost reads like he traumatized the staff haha

He did.

JaMarcus and HOFlynn traumatized fans in regards to LSU QBs

MRSA

Banned
$28 million guaranteed for a C? I mean I think C is the 2nd most important position on the line next to the blind side tackle. But that is exactly what it is, tackle money.

Bread

Banned

save your breath bionic, no need to waste our time on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom