• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFatOne

If he is still good enough to win a SB why hasnt he ever done so without camera aid? He has had 10 years of chances, and nothing to show for them. If you really believe Brady was good enough to win a SB last year then I really dont know what to say to you.

Because Belichick the GM had a 4-5 year shit run of drafts. Wasted some prime years of Brady on shit drafts/free agents. Last year Brady had no one to throw to. He isn't the same player he was in 06, and even then the best he could do with garbage receivers was the AFC championship game.

LJ11

Bills signed Chris Williams to a decent deal. Rams wanted him back but not for that money. And they wanted back as a backup. As a starter he was upgradable. Same with Shelly Smith, except they didn't want him back

I didn't watch any of Williams with the Rams, but he was a fucking disaster with the Bears.

squicken

I didn't watch any of Williams with the Rams, but he was a fucking disaster with the Bears.

He's fine as a backup guard/tackle. His value is versatility off the bench. But he and Smith both got killed by good fronts. AZ, SEA and SF wore out both. They were on a rotation b/c neither could win the job. But against average and bad defenses they weren't liabilities

MechDX

Eagles signed former Texans LB Bryan Braman to a two-year, $3.15 million deal, including $1 million guarnteeed via @seanstellato.

Why? He was a special teams only player ....

#TexansNorth

Eagles signed former Texans LB Bryan Braman to a two-year, $3.15 million deal, including $1 million guarnteeed via @seanstellato.

#TexansNorth

#Eagles agree to terms on a two-year deal with LB/special teams ace Bryan Braman (@50_Braman). #FlyEaglesFly pic.twitter.com/JoW6IAlPsR

How they announce him, I guess they know.

LJ11

He's fine as a backup guard/tackle. His value is versatility off the bench. But he and Smith both got killed by good fronts. AZ, SEA and SF wore out both. They were on a rotation b/c neither could win the job. But against average and bad defenses they weren't liabilities

Just a garbage move to me. I know you can't have superstars everywhere, but we had a good backup Guard by the name of Chad Rinehart. He was solid as fuck, dependable guy who you could plug, and would be an average starter but played above average often enough where you could rely on him inside as a starter

These twats let him go for nothing to SD, not even an offer, he signed a one year deal, he improved again under Coach D, and now he's making the same money as this scrub Williams.

Laughable, I could run this team better no question at this point. Just foolish.

squicken

On that podcast I mentioned earlier, LZ was saying Lewan could go as high as 6 to ATL. Better to draft too high for OL than overpay in free agency. Whatever you read in a mock draft, slide any offensive linemen up a few spots

#TexansNorth

But he was a very good ST player. He's a guy they keep if their cap was in better shape. Not going to be crushing but you'd like him back

Just a garbage move to me. I know you can't have superstars everywhere, but we had a good backup Guard by the name of Chad Rinehart. He was solid as fuck, dependable guy who you could plug, and would be an average starter but played above average often enough where you could rely on him inside as a starter

These twats let him go for nothing to SD, not even an offer, he signed a one year deal, he improved again under Coach D, and now he's making the same money as this scrub Williams.

Laughable, I could run this team better no question at this point. Just foolish.
:(

You deserve better!

KingGondo

Banned
Browns really have no reason not to trade for Revis.

Tons of cap space, need for a second CB, and they're probably going to be drafting mostly offensive players who will be cheap.

That plus the Pettine connection should mean a smooth transition.

JABEE

I don't even have the strength to hate on the Patriots today. Not after the start of this offseason. I'm turning back into 4-12 JABEE.

Trey

Bills only offered Byrd 7.5 per, apparently. Could have offered him 8-8.5 per year easily. Probably would have never become a FA in the first place if the Bills weren't concerned with "overpaying" for talent.

Is that 1m you save really gonna be enough to save Spiller, Dareus, Williams next year if it really came down to that?

I didn't have any time to post yesterday but as I learned about the Veldheer agreement at work, I would say that one of my favorite lines from all of Seinfeld applied, "restrained jubilation". I have to wait until he passes his physical but if this guy is healthy....YES YES FUCK YES!!! After probably more than 10 years of having a hole the size of the Grand Canyon at LT, we FINALLY have a franchise LT!!! I don't even know what to do with myself. I have every confidence that our coaching staff can coach him back up to pro bowl level and develop his technique and run blocking further. He's only 26 and approaching his prime. This contract has him locked through that whole premium stretch age/career wise and while I initially felt it was quite reasonable and am pleased with it, it looks like a damn bargain compared to the Martin and Saffold deals! Keim does it again! In Keim I trust!

Alright, with the jubilation set free, my god at all the Broncos signings. How the hell are they affording Ward, Talib, AND Ware by the sounds of it? They are overpaying Talib ridiculous money, I don't know how they can afford what Ware is going to want. Also, fuck you Broncos for paying Talib so much, Peterson is licking his chops thinking about what he's going to ask from us. I also really wanted Ward. If we could have signed Ward on top of Veldheer, I'd have lost my mind.

Jnc at how badly the Browns over payed Dansby. Dansby fools another organization on a contract year. Don't get me wrong, it's a blow to our D and I'll miss him because of how well he fit in the system playing alongside the true stud and cog piece, D Wash, but no way in hell is he worth that money at his age especially and I really don't see him being able to play anywhere near that level in CLE, guy was garbo the first four weeks when Wash was suspended.

Now that we have our LT, doing mock drafts will be far more interesting to me. We can truly go BPA now at 20.

BigAT

How bad must Richie Incognito be if this is the face of calming rehabilitation for Jonathon Martin?

jim-harbaugh.jpg

jimmy_spit_medium.gif

jmdajr

#TexansNorth

We've become their farm system

Oh. Have the Ravens picked up anyone?

edit: Lol forgot about Kubes!

#TexansNorth

Special teams is an important part of the team. If they could have stopped the Saints from getting the ball at the 50 the last drive they might win that playoff game.

gutshot

Maragos and Braman are both great special teams players. I like that Chip focuses on special teams, an oft over-looked aspect of the game which can have a huge impact.

Now go sign a kicker.

Hmm so now that the Dolphins have the LT and DT covered...I wonder what they'll do at 19. CB? Safety? LB?
I still think you have to go OL. They are down at least one OG and maybe two (what's the latest on John "Just Below Average" Jerry?), plus settling for Clabo at RT again doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I still see that as the biggest area of need for the team right now.

Then again, maybe Dallas Thomas will suddenly blossom into a starter this season.
LOL

I don't think you let Patterson and Carroll walk unless you expect Taylor or Davis to start at CB #2. It would suck to see them spend another early pick on a CB after spending two on the position just last season. Safety is a possibility but the starters are at least set there. LB would be nice but we are stuck with this group for at least one more season regardless.

I dunno. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. One thing I will say is it's nice to see Hickey addressing the trenches on both sides of the ball.

I still think you have to go OL. They are down at least one OG and maybe two (what's the latest on John "Just Below Average" Jerry?), plus settling for Clabo at RT again doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I still see that as the biggest area of need for the team right now.

Then again, maybe Dallas Thomas will suddenly blossom into a starter this season.
LOL

I don't think you let Patterson and Carroll walk unless you expect Taylor or Davis to start at CB #2. It would suck to see them spend another early pick on a CB after spending two on the position just last season. Safety is a possibility but the starters are at least set there. LB would be nice but we are stuck with this group for at least one more season regardless.

I dunno. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. One thing I will say is it's nice to see Hickey addressing the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Wasn't Zack supposed to be better at Guard? That would only leave holes at RT and another Guard, which would be a massive upgrade from last year. Yeah I don't see Thomas doing anything and you're right about getting another CB in the draft especially in the first round. I'm ok with resigning Patterson to a more friendly deal, doesn't seem like he's getting a ton of love in FA but Carroll can fuck right off. Outside of those needs I wouldn't mind getting a big WR for Tannehill to target, but that's just a luxury pick considering all the holes we still have.

Maragos and Braman are both great special teams players. I like that Chip focuses on special teams, an oft over-looked aspect of the game which can have a huge impact.

Now go sign a kicker.

Hopefully they will do things the right way and target the worst kicker available for average money.

Wasn't Zack supposed to be better at Guard? That would only leave holes at RT and another Guard, which would be a massive upgrade from last year. Yeah I don't see Thomas doing anything and you're right about getting another CB in the draft especially in the first round. I'm ok with resigning Patterson to a more friendly deal, doesn't seem like he's getting a ton of love in FA but Carroll can fuck right off. Outside of those needs I wouldn't mind getting a big WR for Tannehill to target, but that's just a luxury pick considering all the holes we still have.
Yeah, if Zack Martin is still around I think he'd be a solid pick. If he is capable of playing OT at this level stick him at RT, if not he can slot in as an OG.

I would love to see them go after a WR in Round 1. It would be dumb but it would be exciting. Every season there is one guy in the draft that I really want the Dolphins to get even if it doesn't necessarily make sense. Last year it was Cordarelle Patterson, this year it's Tre Mason. I want some young explosive offensive players!

Wes

venison crêpe
IJnc at how badly the Browns over payed Dansby. Dansby fools another organization on a contract year. Don't get me wrong, it's a blow to our D and I'll miss him because of how well he fit in the system playing alongside the true stud and cog piece, D Wash, but no way in hell is he worth that money at his age especially and I really don't see him being able to play anywhere near that level in CLE, guy was garbo the first four weeks when Wash was suspended.

We kind of had to overpay as we had two needs at ILB and no one to play there. I'm not too concerned though. We have tons of cap space, it's front loaded for first two years so can always dump him when needed, and he's a good character guy to have in the locker room by all accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom