• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Numbers for the Giants deal with Geoff Schwartz:

Geoff Schwartz deal. Via @YahooSports that'll be four years, 16.8 million with $6.2 guaranteed

For comparison:

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr 1m
Shawn Lauvao got 4 years, $17 million, $5 million from Washington. Zane Beadles got 5 years for $30 million with $13 million guaranteed #nyg

That's pretty damned nice.

Jarnet87

I think the theory may be get a defense that doesn't allow the other team to score 43 points in the superbowl

The Bronco's D gave it their all in first couple quarters, they just ran out of steam and quit from the lack of their offense to produce anything and Seattle converting first downs. I tend to agree with those saying improving the offense would be a better solution The offensive line got mauled, their receivers bullied.

Schofield deal with the Giants is now on hold:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 37s
The #Giants deal with LB O’Brien Schofield is now on hold, according to sources. They had questions about his physical (knee).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Feel like the Pats dline is still weak especailly the DE spot opposite of Jones.Ninkovich is a solid player, but they could use an upgrade there. If Revis returns as the player he once was Pats defense would be legit. Offensively I'm not sure though. Don't know who they could grab right now to bolster the offense. Edleman plus another guy would be nice. In that scenario the Pats could be very good. I just don't think it's likely.

So why is Denvers significantly better for it? They overpaid an aging superstar whose declined massively 2 years in a row. Shaun Phillips was fine last year, so is Ware a huge upgrade at this point? The same thing can be asked about DRC who was IMO as good as Talib without the serious health risk in a degenerative hip, not to mention Von will be only a few months removed from the ACL tear. I'm not saying they didn't take the right approach, but they haven't upgraded in a massive way at those positions... tj ward is a massive upgrade though. However on offense they lost one of their better weapons and Welker took one step closer to the end.

The pats signing Revis would be a huge upgrade. I think if Jamie Collins can emerge, it'll fill a huge void left by Spikes questionable conditioning and horrible coverage skills. Wilfork will just have to take up space. I do agree putting a pass rusher on the other side of Jones will be key, if they can somehow land Jared allen he'll be an upgrade over Ninko.

That being said the key will be offense, because at the end of the day, the offense couldn't sustain a damn thing last year. I wouldn't mind letting edelman walk as long as they bring in some weapons for Tom... they don't even have to be game changers, just allow him to spread the field and get some options out there. I believe Holmes has something left and a hell of a lot more than Austin Collie, or KT gave.

Tom Penny

The Bronco's D gave it their all in first couple quarters, they just ran out of steam and quit from the lack of their offense to produce anything and Seattle converting first downs. I tend to agree with those saying improving the offense would be a better solution The offensive line got mauled, their receivers bullied.

Yep. . Manning turned water into wine with limited talent.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Is this a joke post? They only had the best slot reciever in the game, a monster Tight end, a top 5 outside receiver, and a now free agent WR who is considered by a lot of teams as a number 1 option, no big deal.

With Beason back, i hope this guy is gone..
Two totally different positions and...why? You caught up on the 8 million number? You know that isn't all guaranteed? Schofield is a pass rushing OLB that can play with his hand in the dirt. Even with Beason, we don't have linebackers that can blitz worth a shit. I don't get the hate this signing brings with it outside of the fact that people are hung up on the 8 mill for two years. Might as well believe Stevie Brown was going to make the full 4 million (he's making 1.75 of it).

Something that is occurring as frequently as the sun rising in the East:

Danny Monteverde @DCMonteverde

BREAKING: Darren Sharper charged in Tempe, Ariz., with two counts of sexual assault and three counts of administering dangerous drugs.

Is this a joke post? They only had the best slot reciever in the game, a monster Tight end, a top 5 outside receiver, and a now free agent WR who is considered by a lot of teams as a number 1 option, no big deal.

But their line buckled. What use is those receivers if Peyton was having trouble throwing ducks to them?

ShaneB

Cool deal. DC is not considered very cold either (at least compared to the rest of the northeastern seaboard) but this winter has sucked. Coming from Southern California before DC, just trying to prep myself for how bad it can get - I've seen plenty of blustery days from my gf's home in Calgary.

Yeah, Toronto winter is far more mild than Calgary, you'll be ok. Been a few times where I wondered if winter even came.

Something that is occurring as frequently as the sun rising in the East:

Danny Monteverde @DCMonteverde

BREAKING: Darren Sharper charged in Tempe, Ariz., with two counts of sexual assault and three counts of administering dangerous drugs.

If he's guilty I hope he rots in jail for the rest of his life, fucken disgusting.

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 16s
Bucs are doing work. Confirm visits for 5 more players, including WR Ted Ginn, C Evan Dietrich-Smith + CB Charles Tillman.

Bucs and Broncos winning the offseason championship.

Cowboys update:

Ross Jones ‏@RossJonesFOX 1m
Jeremy Mincey has agreed to terms with Cowboys, per source.

Talon

I'm not trying to put a happy face on it. I'm just trying to counter balance all the doom and gloom amongst Eagles fans here. I've said I think the move was solid, but not exceptional.

And I'm not hung up on the rating, I'm trying to discredit the rating. People keep trotting it out as proof that Jenkins "sucks" and I'm trying to refute that notion.

As far as your evaluation of Jenkins talent, you've watched his tape, have you? I'm guessing not. And neither have I. So I rely on the opinions from those who have watched his tape and all have come to the same conclusion: he's a solid player whose strengths are his versatility and his plus coverage skills. Is he Pro Bowl caliber? No. But he's an upgrade over what we had and certainly not as bad you seem to think he is.
Look, buddy. He's been in my division for 3 years. He's not a difference maker, and he's not a "plus" in coverage by any means - maybe in comparison to Roided Harper - but so would a balloon animal.

I've said that. Saints fans have said that. Why do you think NOLA didn't even put an offer in?

Two totally different positions and...why? You caught up on the 8 million number? You know that isn't all guaranteed? Schofield is a pass rushing OLB that can play with his hand in the dirt. Even with Beason, we don't have linebackers that can blitz worth a shit. I don't get the hate this signing brings with it outside of the fact that people are hung up on the 8 mill for two years. Might as well believe Stevie Brown was going to make the full 4 million (he's making 1.75 of it).

We did well last season with shit LB, the defense wasn't the issue last season it was the putrid offense and Eli throwing a billion picks, i would gladly take EDS over this dude, we need to rebuild the line and see if Eli is still a QB worth investing in, or we let him walk after his contract is up..

Look, buddy. He's been in my division for 3 years. He's not a difference maker, and he's not a "plus" in coverage by any means - maybe in comparison to Roided Harper - but so would a balloon animal.

I've said that. Saints fans have said that. Why do you think NOLA didn't even put an offer in?

Their FO was smart enough to realize they needed to upgrade that position. :(

TheFatOne

So why is Denvers significantly better for it? They overpaid an aging superstar whose declined massively 2 years in a row. Shaun Phillips was fine last year, so is Ware a huge upgrade at this point? The same thing can be asked about DRC who was IMO as good as Talib without the serious health risk in a degenerative hip, not to mention Von will be only a few months removed from the ACL tear. I'm not saying they didn't take the right approach, but they haven't upgraded in a massive way at those positions... tj ward is a massive upgrade though. However on offense they lost one of their better weapons and Welker took one step closer to the end.

The pats signing Revis would be a huge upgrade. I think if Jamie Collins can emerge, it'll fill a huge void left by Spikes questionable conditioning and horrible coverage skills. Wilfork will just have to take up space. I do agree putting a pass rusher on the other side of Jones will be key, if they can somehow land Jared allen he'll be an upgrade over Ninko.

That being said the key will be offense, because at the end of the day, the offense couldn't sustain a damn thing last year. I wouldn't mind letting edelman walk as long as they bring in some weapons for Tom... they don't even have to be game changers, just allow him to spread the field and get some options out there. I believe Holmes has something left and a hell of a lot more than Austin Collie, or KT gave.

To me it seems like the Pats have a lot of ifs. If Wilfork comes back to being what he was, if collins improves, if ryan improves, if the Pats add weapons for Brady, if hightower improves, if the young receivers are healthy/improve, if gronk is healthy, etc... More questions than the other teams right now. They over paid for Ware but adding a guy like that to a rotation with Von is always good. Von is going to get the majority of the tough matchups/double teams, and that should free up Ware for a very solid season. He isn't the force he once was but he is going to be very good this year. The issue is right now the Pats are worse by loosing Talib, and so far not signing any weapons on offense. The Broncos have improved, and the Pats have gotten worse. We will see how the Revis thing pans out, but I highly doubt they sign him. If they do it changes how I feel about the Pats quite a bit.

We did well last season with shit LB.
A mirage when you consider that we faced 5-6 backup QB's. Prior to Beason arriving we didn't do "well" at all. We can't continue to ignore the position. A low cost signing for a player with upside is just fine. Removing the Schofield deal doesn't mean EDS is suddently walking through the door.

The defense was also fucking putrid in plenty of games (Chargers game ring a bell?) so they aren't completely exonerated.

That's a bit much for Ware but well he is an upgrade. Hopefully he and Talib stay healthy.

Where is my MLB?? Darn you Giants, I wanted Beason...

squicken

I like what Denver is doing. There is never a perfect, foreseeable route in football. But they have an aging HoF QB that just made the Owl and lost. Why not go all in? I've thought the Pats should have done the same for a couple of years? Getting good value and losing in the playoffs isn't enough for Brady and Manning. It's SB or bust

This Denver team reminds me a lot of that SF team that signed (and cheated the cap) McDonald, Norton and Deion. Silly to compare them to the Eagles' Dream Team w/Vick at QB

Eleuin

Bears update:

OH WOW I MISSED THIS

1389391383491.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
To me it seems like the Pats have a lot of ifs. If Wilfork comes back to being what he was, if collins improves, if ryan improves, if the Pats add weapons for Brady, if hightower improves, if the young receivers are healthy/improve, if gronk is healthy, etc... More questions than the other teams right now. They over paid for Ware but adding a guy like that to a rotation with Von is always good. Von is going to get the majority of the tough matchups/double teams, and that should free up Ware for a very solid season. He isn't the force he once was but he is going to be very good this year. The issue is right now the Pats are worse by loosing Talib, and so far not signing any weapons on offense. The Broncos have improved, and the Pats have gotten worse. We will see how the Revis thing pans out, but I highly doubt they sign him. If they do it changes how I feel about the Pats quite a bit.

I agree they do, but I believe the broncs have just as many if you spin it that way.

- if talib holds up for the first time in his career.
- if Von Miller returns to form and straightens out
- if Demarcus Ware returns to form (less likely)
- if Welker recovers
- if montee ball is as effective as Moreno out of the backfield.

Tom Penny

I like what Denver is doing. There is never a perfect, foreseeable route in football. But they have an aging HoF QB that just made the Owl and lost. Why not go all in? I've thought the Pats should have done the same for a couple of years? Getting good value and losing in the playoffs isn't enough for Brady and Manning. It's SB or bust

This Denver team reminds me a lot of that SF team that signed (and cheated the cap) McDonald, Norton and Deion. Silly to compare them to the Eagles' Dream Team w/Vick at QB

You ever think that Belichick doesn't care about how many years Brady has left. Everyone around here thinks he sucks and they won 12 games with a decimated team so what makes you think anything Belichick does is based on a supposed window?

gutshot

I put more stock in your assessment than I do in PFF grades. But I never said he was a difference maker, I said he is solid. If you say he isn't a decent cover guy, that contradicts what a lot of others have said. But maybe you are right, maybe he is overvalued there. I don't know because I haven't really studied him, just going off of others who have. Time will tell.

effzee

More thoughts on Eagles moves or lack thereof:

First I just don't get it. Safety was a top need. Both safety spots. They were horrendous last year. So if you are going to target the position through FA why not you know go after the top guy? Or the 2nd or 3rd best guys available? Cap isn't an issue as the Eagles were/are one of the teams with the most room.

Secondly this fits the same plan they had last year. Acquire serviceable starters so they don't necessarily have glaring holes, which then frees them up to draft the BPA available. Sure sounds great. But where it worked with Carry Williams and Bradley Fletcher, it backfired spectacularly with Chung and Philips (who didn't even make the final roster).

I don't think the plan is bad. Its actually smart. But FA isn't evil or destroyer of teams. Teams whiff on drafts too and have to come to terms with total busts. Does that mean you stop drafting completely?

Had the Eagles only won 4-6 games last season I wouldn't mind this strategy one bit but Chip and the offensive side of the ball showed this team is good enough to compete and possibly contend if the defense is improved. And on that defense the safety spot is the biggest weakness. Guys like McCoy and Desean Jackson only have 2-3 more seasons in their prime, especially McCoy since we all know how fast RBs drop. Why was his prime? Why waste a great OLINE? Why waste Desean and good to great offense overall because after one failed FA frenzy 4 seasons ago? We need the D good now. We can make a run now.

Of course this isn't the only move they will make to address the safety spot and hopefully they land the best Safety coming out this year and bolster up the secondary, LBs, and Dline. They all need up more talent. I also am keeping my fingers crossed Jenkins is better than what he has shown. Its just a really baffling move.

Also I keep hearing here and there the Eagles are in the running for Revis. Not really sure I want him. Forget the money, he seems to hold out a lot and like Nnamdi only wants to play one on one press coverage. Chip and Billy Davis run a very hybrid mix of philosophies on the defense and would probably ask Revis to do more than just be on his own 1 on 1. Won't complain if we somehow make a move for him as its an obvious upgrade over every CB we have but again if they pull this off, I will wonder why not Byrd or Ward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom